The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Metric Halo - LIO-8 Converter/Processor/Interface Audio Interfaces
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntax View Post
You could achieve 8 channels of digital i/o if you picked up an ADAT to AES converter.
Exact, eeer... you need another intermediate device.... Like an Alessis AI-3?? wouldn't it affect the signal for the worse even it's just digital format conversion?? Sorry, I'm not really into converters...

It's just that from my limited knowledge, doesn't sound right to spend 3k into a very good converter whitch will go into another cheap converter...

Please enlighten me, what's your config?

Carlos
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by claend View Post
Exact, eeer... you need another intermediate device.... Like an Alessis AI-3?? wouldn't it affect the signal for the worse even it's just digital format conversion?? Sorry, I'm not really into converters...
Might add some jitter on the way in (rec monitoring). On playback it'll be gone.
Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesH View Post
Might add some jitter on the way in (rec monitoring). On playback it'll be gone.
So then artifacts added by the intermediate digital format converter would be negligible??
Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by claend View Post
So then artifacts added by the intermediate digital format converter would be negligible??
They will be non-existent if you are not using the digital audio stream to clock anything (e.g. if you use word-clock). It is simply a data format conversion.
Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear

UA 2192 vs MH LIO

I currently have a UAD 2192 which I use for my final 2 buss A/D and monitoring. This is used in conjunction with my two MH 2882's which are used for tracking and sending stems out for summing and 2 buss processing.

I'm wondering if it does not maybe make sense to sell the 2192, and pick up a LIO to replace it, thereby getting extra in/outs, as well as better integration with my existing 2882s.

Anybody have both and can comment on the quality of the LIOs conversion against the 2192?
Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear

No PCI-E?

Isn´t firewire a bit of bottleneck in audio production these days?
Old 13th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob800 View Post
No PCI-E?

Isn´t firewire a bit of bottleneck in audio production these days?
Nope
Old 13th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhu View Post
Anybody have both and can comment on the quality of the LIOs conversion against the 2192?
I have a ULN-8 and regularly use a 2192 as we have one on the premises. I run at 192k, so my findings may not apply to usage at 44/48 etc. The conversion is slightly different on the two units, but there is no noticeable difference in quality --- just in "flavour". Both have very low self-noise, and perform well in the extended fre band at 192k, where many other convertors show a lot of noise and bad rejection of stuff like HD chirps etc. The 2192 and the ULN have a totally clean signal from a technical point of view.
The ULN-8 is a convertor that shines by "not being there". A very neutral sound with a very tight bottom end, both for AD and DA. The UA on the other hand adds something in the high end when used as AD, a slight "sheen" or "sparkle" that is very enjoyable and the reason I use it for hats/snares/claps/cymbals etc. Judging from various discussions it could potentially be the clock in the UA that induces this, may be a "good jitter" if you know what I mean. This also holds true when clocking the ULN from the UA. The DA side of the UA is also very good, though it doesn't add as much "mojo". It's seeing a lot of use as insert loop DA in the mastering studio here.

All in all, the two make an excellent combination. So I'd recommend keeping the UA and *adding* the LIO, maybe loosing a 2882 to help paying for the LIO. Once you have the LIO, integration of the UA is straight forward: just connect it to the AES I/O on the LIO.
Old 13th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh_bj View Post
They will be non-existent if you are not using the digital audio stream to clock anything (e.g. if you use word-clock). It is simply a data format conversion.
Thanks, so then I should use the WC of the LIO or another WC source such as my Lunatec and I would be save... Am I right?? Sorry again, just want to make sure I'm grasping it.

Time to digest my own signature I guess :-p
Old 14th May 2010
Lives for gear

@Denis - Thanks for the info. I can't get rid of the 2882's as we use them for our live show, so I think I'll just hold on to the 2192 until I can get a LIO in true Gearslutz styleheh

BTW: There's a real difference in the sound of the 2882s when clocked off the 2192. More open and 3d!
Old 14th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Goekdag View Post
The DA side of the UA is also very good, though it doesn't add as much "mojo".
Sorry, but what do you mean: As much 'mojo' as the 2192's AD -- or as much as the ULN's DA? I don't want mojo from a converter, I have other UA boxes for that.

Also, you say that the 2192 and ULN both are very clean, but then you goes on to say that the 2192 adds a sparkle?

And why would you clock the ULN to the UA?

All in all, it seems that you slightly prefer the 2192 over the ULN. Would you rather use 8 channels of 2192, than 8 channels of LIO?

EDIT: OK, I read a few threads about the 2192, and it seems to be regarded as an effects box.
Old 14th May 2010
Lives for gear

does anyone have any hands on experience using this unit with hardware inserts when mixing in the box. has anyone found that the latency of the unit fluctuates randomly for a given device?
Old 14th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
Sorry, but what do you mean: As much 'mojo' as the 2192's AD -- or as much as the ULN's DA? I don't want mojo from a converter, I have other UA boxes for that.
Mojo as the UA's AD. The ULN's sound is pretty close to an ideal wire.

Quote:
Also, you say that the 2192 and ULN both are very clean, but then you goes on to say that the 2192 adds a sparkle?
Clean as in "no noise, electrical interferences, hd bleed etc in the signal".

Quote:
And why would you clock the ULN to the UA?
Basically because it sounds better to me for specific signals. Not necessarily "Better" as in "closer to the original" but as in "having nice non-linearities".

Quote:
All in all, it seems that you slightly prefer the 2192 over the ULN. Would you rather use 8 channels of 2192, than 8 channels of LIO?
Hmm, interesting that that's what my post comes across like. But no, I wouldn't prefer 8 channels of 2192 to the ULN, as most of the time, I want as accurate as possible conversion. If asked which sounds "nicer", yes, I might prefer the UA a *little* on *some* types of source material--- but basically, I do most work with the ULN because of it's complete lack of signal coloration. I've got other pieces that impart sound if needed. But the two do make a great combination.
Apart from that, the ULN-8 is way more than AD/DA, the preamps are excellent, the DI's, while behaving a little oddly with some unbalanced sources, sound more than great on guitars and bass, it's DC powerable for field/location use and has a monitor controller I can remote control from my Euphonix.

Quote:
EDIT: OK, I read a few threads about the 2192, and it seems to be regarded as an effects box.
Well, I wouldn't call it that, but it is definitely a piece that imparts a sound, more so on the AD side than on the DA. It's hard to describe what it does exactly, but it adds some kind of "expensive" sounding high end, kind of like some EQs do in the "air" band --- It's probably just some kind of distortion or jitter, but it can be nice.
Old 14th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
@Denis - Thanks for the info. I can't get rid of the 2882's as we use them for our live show, so I think I'll just hold on to the 2192 until I can get a LIO in true Gearslutz styleheh
THAT sounds more like it ;-)

Quote:
BTW: There's a real difference in the sound of the 2882s when clocked off the 2192. More open and 3d!
I've never clocked a 2882 off a UA, but there's a similar effect with the ULN, though it's really a subtle thing. But, again, I'm not entirely sure wether it is an objective improvement or just "nice jitter"---- nor am I sure it really matters which of the two it is, it's more a matter of having a cool option when pairing the two boxes. It can definitely be a nice effect for music signals, on SFX/ambience I prefer the more neutral character of the ULN's internal clock.

But if I had to choose between the two it'd be ULN all the way heh
Old 14th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Goekdag View Post
Basically because it sounds better to me for specific signals. Not necessarily "Better" as in "closer to the original" but as in "having nice non-linearities".
Thank you very much for your answers!

I have enough 'jitterboxes' to fulfil my needs for nice non-linearities, so now I just have to decide btw LIO-8 and Orpheus...
Old 28th May 2010
Lives for gear

Loving my lio-8!!!!!!!!!!

I just got my LIO-8 this week.

THE WORLD IS NEW ONCE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never thought music could sound this good!
Old 29th May 2010
Gear Guru

Re: Metric Halo Introduces LIO-8 Converter/Processor/Interface

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRock101

Yeah baby!!
Old 29th May 2010
Lives for gear

Now you understand...........

Someone show him the handshake....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRock101 View Post

Old 29th May 2010
Gear Head

thumbsup

*Does secret MH owners handshake*
Old 31st May 2010
Allen, maybe this isn't the place for this question, but is that uniformly the case? I.E., as shown in this screenshot Logic thinks my latency (running at 44.1k) is 4.9ms... what's up with that?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Rowand View Post
Here's our latency:

Attached Thumbnails
Metric Halo - LIO-8 Converter/Processor/Interface-miolatency.jpg  
Old 19th July 2010
Gear Head

Talking LIO-8 is amazing!

I took delivery of my LIO-8 a week or so ago and all I can say is... WOW!

Thanks to Metric Halo for delivering a truly fantastic unit!!!

I think the MIO Console should be the benchmark for driver & device software interfaces - seriously, I've never used anything with a better (and MORE STABLE!!) software front end - it feels like an extension of the hardware, it's amazing and super fast.

I was worried that I wouldn't be comfortable without a separate monitor controller... needless to say, my expectations have been well and truly exceeded! The headphone amp is also pretty amazing!

Keep up the great work guys, I think you've got a fan for life! thumbsup
Old 19th July 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatal_error View Post
I think the MIO Console should be the benchmark for driver & device software interfaces - seriously, I've never used anything with a better (and MORE STABLE!!)
+1000
Old 27th July 2010
Lives for gear

I did a live show with my LIO8 (with my 2882 via AES & an M-Audio 2626 attached to the 2882 via ADAT, 24 channels total). The performers said it was the best sound they've had, including the "clean as a whistle" monitor sends.

Being able to EQ monitors, EQ anything and route ANYTHING ANYWHERE....the world is NEW!
Old 28th July 2010
Lives for gear
I'm super disappointed that the unit does not have ADAT and SPIDIF i/o as standard. There are so many people using Pro Tools LE and similar prosumer interfaces that I'm sure would love to use this or a ULN-8 as a front end.

I don't want to use a digital format converter and extra digital i/o always comes in handy...
Old 28th July 2010
Gear Addict

I've been running a vintage Amek M1000 (Sowter transformers, point to point wiring and M2500 EQ) through two LIO-8's for a few months now and couldn't be happier. The sounds are stunning and on one project in particular I started tracking on a Crane Song Spider (amazing pre's and AD conversion) and finished on the Amek/LIO-8.

I had to do quite a bit of tweaking before the artist got the mixes because the tracking through the Amek/LIO combo was so much more punchy, clear and wide than the Spider tracks.

Just love metric halo . . . I tracked for years on a MIO-2882 and have also used ULN-2 and ULN-8. All radically under-rated - and all those records still sound wonderful to me. But now even vintage king carries this amazing line of gear.
Old 30th July 2010
@ Sascha P

I use the LIO 8 with PT / SPDIF as a front end .

just order a SUB25 to AES/ BUS cable plus the most accurate SPDIF Cable which fits to the AES signal for the LIO . Perfect combination !

http://www.funk-tonstudiotechnik.de
Old 31st July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaschaP View Post
I'm super disappointed that the unit does not have ADAT and SPIDIF i/o as standard. There are so many people using Pro Tools LE and similar prosumer interfaces that I'm sure would love to use this or a ULN-8 as a front end.

I don't want to use a digital format converter and extra digital i/o always comes in handy...
Well, in practice you can run SPDIF right into AES/EBU. That's how I run Protools, when I must use it: cheapo M-Audio box right into my ULN-8.

-s
Old 8th January 2011
Here for the gear

LIO8

i just pulled the trigger
and got me one of these babies
soooooooo nice
Old 13th January 2011
Here for the gear

me too

Just switched everything over to my new LIO-8 - my new studio "brain". This thing is more indispensable than my ULN-2 - ingenious device.

Now I want to use it as my studio monitor control center - what's the consensus on the best Midi controller for the LIO 8?

JBerlin
Old 23rd January 2011
Here for the gear

have they fixed the customer service department yet?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search