The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Metric Halo - LIO-8 Converter/Processor/Interface Audio Interfaces
Old 3rd April 2010
Jax
Lives for gear

First interface I've seen where the headphone output is labeled "cans."

heh
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh_bj View Post
The plugins do not add delay unless they are specifically delay plugins. There are simply no routing delays in the mixer, so everything remains delay compensated (because there is no buffering like you get in a host-based mixer).

If you use the mixer and effects that are available in the box, in real life this means that you will have 0.7 ms of latency from in to out at 96k, or 1.5ms of latency at 44.1k.

If you use the mixer in your host, then you will have 2.6ms or 4.5ms respectively at 96k and 44.1k, if you use 32 sample buffers. If you use larger buffers, then you will have larger latencies, just like with every other native interface.

In otherwords, you don't need a PCIe interface to keep the latency down; the Mobile I/O interfaces will work for you.
thanks for the reply, and happy easter. Have you sent any of these units to australia/Awave yet? i was going to buy a mytek 8 channel ADDA but now that the IO8 is out ill most likely grab this instead.

Is the latency low enough to be able to run a guitar through the amp plugins in the mixer and then to a PA or Cans. i want to be able to play and record live using the amp output as the fold-back?

the idea of having something like guitar rig 4 or equivalent running in this box and being able to record,monitor and play off the amps live would be insane. i cant quite do this when using guitar rig in logic. which is such a shame...
Old 4th April 2010
Gear Maniac
Thumbs up if you are Considering Metric Halo,

Contact Steven Devino
@ Granite Rocks Live. google it.
I got my 2882 from him and got the best tech support ever and a good price and shipment, questions answered in the wee hours and total support and understanding. I don't know if your supposed to rant about a great dealer here, but I am. If you are considering a new LIO, and I would if I needed more ins and such, I'd buy fro Granite Rocks Live without a moment hesitation, not thth Metric Halo support is not great, it is the best out of any company I have ever dealt with by far, but for the same money you get one more level of truly expert support. Can't say enough good about this guy. my 2 cents.
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Rowand View Post
thanks!

so do you press on the knobs on the front to control different things? like setting cans/monitors levels, etc? can i switch between output A (say outs 1/2 to one set of monitors), B (3/4 to other monitors), and cans by pressing the button 3 times? or is it all software controlled?

i'd really love to have a try with one but they're pretty 'rare' to see.

cheers again!
Old 5th April 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
so do you press on the knobs on the front to control different things?
Check it:
LIO-8 Front Panel Guide
Old 10th April 2010
Lives for gear

This unit - sans preamps, does come with (2) "DI" inputs, which I assume are going to sound just fine, thank you.

The interesting thing about this piece is you can go modular, installing (2) set of (4) pre's on a card. You can sort of back into a ULN-8 this way. A little easier. So my question would be (for MH or anyone in the know):

Q: If one buys this unit and opts to get (4) pres, does one end up with (4) pres + (2) DI's or do the first (4) pres "canabalize" the DI inputs - as in your inputs 1 and 2 are either or, not "and". Kind of significant. If one were to opt for (4) pres and then in addition had the DI's that's (6) simultaneus as opposed to (4)

Anyone ? ....

Cdlt
Old 10th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melgueil View Post
This unit - sans preamps, does come with (2) "DI" inputs, which I assume are going to sound just fine, thank you.

The interesting thing about this piece is you can go modular, installing (2) set of (4) pre's on a card. You can sort of back into a ULN-8 this way. A little easier. So my question would be (for MH or anyone in the know):

Q: If one buys this unit and opts to get (4) pres, does one end up with (4) pres + (2) DI's or do the first (4) pres "canabalize" the DI inputs - as in your inputs 1 and 2 are either or, not "and". Kind of significant. If one were to opt for (4) pres and then in addition had the DI's that's (6) simultaneus as opposed to (4)
Hmm. Yeah -- the DI channels are on Inputs 1+2 and the preamps would be on inputs 1-4, so you would have to choose which one you were going to use on ADC channels 1+2 (can be done per channel).

If you are handy with a soldering iron (or order it special from us and ask for it), you could put in an 8 pin header onto the DI input for channels 5-6 or 7-8 and then move the ribbon cable for the DI input to that pin header, which would let you have the DI's on channels that are not served by preamps. Unfortunately, you cannot install the preamp card on channels 5-8 without a preamp card for channels 1-4 as the control path for channels 5-8 goes through 1-4 and if 1-4 is not installed, then the preamps for channels 5-8 cannot be controlled.

Best regards,

B.J. Buchalter
Old 10th April 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks BJ - that's exactly the answer I was seeking.

Yeah - me and a soldering iron .....need to sleep on that heh

cdlt
Old 11th April 2010
Lives for gear

anyone got the UK pricing yet?
Old 12th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek View Post
Allen, BJ and the rest of the MH gang hats off for another great product, and all the time you guys have spent before and after the sale! MH has never made promises they haven't kept and Ill say it again!
METRIC HALO IS THE BEST MAC BASED, EXPANDABLE, FIREWIRE AUDIO INTERFACE!
+1
this is the greatest and will replace my apogee ensemble funds willing this summer !!

the only feature i'm wondering about is the soft limit, which i use a lot. is there something like this for the lio? in practice saves takes and prevents clipping nicely . . maybe in the mio console included plugs or something ?

any info would be great, thanks
Old 13th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwar View Post
+1
this is the greatest and will replace my apogee ensemble funds willing this summer !!

the only feature i'm wondering about is the soft limit, which i use a lot. is there something like this for the lio? in practice saves takes and prevents clipping nicely . . maybe in the mio console included plugs or something ?

The LIO has an included compressor plugin in the MIO mixer, but it's not pre-converter. Not entirely sure how Apogee does this, but I think theirs is pre-converter to prevent overs. I don't believe their technology is present on the Ensemble, though.

Having said this, I would seriously just recommend turning your input volume down. The MH converters sound exceptional when not being pushed near full scale.
Old 29th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwar View Post
+1

I also owned an Apogee Ensemble (check my past post) and I really did love the pres on that....sweet and transparent. I actually liked them better than my Wunders and Millennia on Ribbons. Having said that, you will NOT miss them once you get into to the Metric Halo territory!!!!

One caveat.....you'll need to spend $500+ on some good DSub snakes (XLR snake, TRS snakes X2, and a AES snake) & perhaps reconfig your patchbay. Not a bad thing for the convenience of the ULN8/LIO8 line.

Good luck on endevors!
Old 30th April 2010
Lives for gear

Just ordered mine today. Can't wait to hear the converters on this compared to my ULN-2. Also finally will be able to do some analog summing. Yahoo.
Old 1st May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markham View Post
The LIO has an included compressor plugin in the MIO mixer, but it's not pre-converter. Not entirely sure how Apogee does this, but I think theirs is pre-converter to prevent overs. I don't believe their technology is present on the Ensemble, though.

Having said this, I would seriously just recommend turning your input volume down. The MH converters sound exceptional when not being pushed near full scale.
Hi Bj,

What is the sweetspot to hit the MH convertors? I sit around between -12 to -6?
Old 1st May 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhu View Post
Hi Bj,

What is the sweetspot to hit the MH convertors? I sit around between -12 to -6?
I think of -6 as the new 0.

Allen
Old 2nd May 2010
Lives for gear

You could always get a bunch of Prism Overkillers if you want the soft-limit kind of thing.
Old 2nd May 2010
Gear Maniac

damn I totally forgot to use my coupon code and buy one of these and now the deal ended... I just went to buy it today and realized It didnt work. Now I cant bring myself to pay full price anyone wanna sell me one!?
Old 2nd May 2010
OMU
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Goekdag View Post
You could always get a bunch of Prism Overkillers if you want the soft-limit kind of thing.
Hm, I was considering this converter for slamming the AD in mastering (got tired of limiters). That "new" -6 thing sounds the opposite for me. It didn't cross my mind to go for prism, now I could take a closer look to that one too.
Old 3rd May 2010
Gear Addict

The idea of "-6 is the new 0" is to avoid unintentional overs during recording and mixing. If you want to slam the converters, go ahead!

Allen
Old 3rd May 2010
OMU
Lives for gear

So they can take it, good to know, thanks.
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOliver View Post
damn I totally forgot to use my coupon code and buy one of these and now the deal ended... I just went to buy it today and realized It didnt work. Now I cant bring myself to pay full price anyone wanna sell me one!?
Unfortunately, when you use your discount to buy this, you agree not to sell it for one year. If I were you, I'd call them and beg them to let you use your discount. Call it a bonehead exemption.
Old 3rd May 2010
Gear Guru

They're an exceptionally nice group of folks. Bonehead exemption might just work.
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

If "bonehead exemption" was a real thing, a lot of moments in my life would have gone much, much more smoothly...

- c
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
If "bonehead exemption" was a real thing, a lot of moments in my life would have gone much, much more smoothly...

- c
So true
Old 5th May 2010
Lives for gear

Replacing Lavry Blue/Black with LIO-8?

Any users out there that have previously used Lavry Blue or Black? I have a Blue w/ one AD and a Black. I'm thinking about replacing them with an LIO-8. Basically just wondering if the converter/clocking quality stands up to Lavry. From what I gather I'm thinking it will. Would just like to hear some opinions. Thanks thumbsup

What I'm planning on is possibly ditching PT, my Digi 002, Lavry Blue/Black, all for an LIO-8 and Presonus Studio One (which I've fallen in love with very quickly)
Old 10th May 2010
Lives for gear

This would be ideal if it could directly connect with LE and MPW interfaces!!!
thumbsup
Old 10th May 2010
Lives for gear

Well, it essentially can be connected directly via the AES I/O. I have M-Powered running connected via SPDIF to AES. You could achieve 8 channels of digital i/o if you picked up an ADAT to AES converter.

And MIO Console runs in RTAS too, so all of your settings can be saved per session.
Old 10th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh_bj View Post
If you are handy with a soldering iron (or order it special from us and ask for it), you could put in an 8 pin header onto the DI input for channels 5-6 or 7-8 and then move the ribbon cable for the DI input to that pin header, which would let you have the DI's on channels that are not served by preamps.
Hmmm. I don't have my ULN-8 here to try, but off the top of my head; is it possible to use channels 1-2 as Mic send/return to control the preamps, then patch them into channel 5-6 for conversion and use the DI's as line 1-2?

I guess not since you have to select DI:s separately as "inst".
Old 10th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm5k View Post
Any users out there that have previously used Lavry Blue or Black? I have a Blue w/ one AD and a Black. I'm thinking about replacing them with an LIO-8. Basically just wondering if the converter/clocking quality stands up to Lavry. From what I gather I'm thinking it will. Would just like to hear some opinions. Thanks thumbsup

What I'm planning on is possibly ditching PT, my Digi 002, Lavry Blue/Black, all for an LIO-8 and Presonus Studio One (which I've fallen in love with very quickly)
I sold my Lavry Blue after getting the ULN-8. I didn't have time to compare both directly, but they both sound very good.

BTW, I like MIO mixer, but I don't think the extra plug-ins are that useful.
Old 10th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chao View Post
I sold my Lavry Blue after getting the ULN-8. I didn't have time to compare both directly, but they both sound very good.

BTW, I like MIO mixer, but I don't think the extra plug-ins are that useful.
thanks for the input thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search