The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Metric Halo - LIO-8 Converter/Processor/Interface Audio Interfaces
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

No difference in quality between the main 1-8 analog outs and the 2 headphone outs.

The headphones are the same as the other D/A outputs; they just don't have the balanced drivers; up to the balanced driver for each channel, the circuit is exactly the same. So 2 of the outputs would be single ended, but that is the only real difference.

Best regards,
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntax View Post
Is this a change on the LIO-8?

That's not how it works on the ULN-8 in terms of physical architecture (or the 2882 for that matter). Now, in the software many of the console templates set up the headphone outs as a mult of 1&2 for ease of use, but it doesn't have to be configured that way. "Cans" can be selected as a discrete output set (see attached image).
No, I'm sorry, you are correct. Not sure what I was thinking, as that is how I have my ULN8 set up.
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Looks like a great offering. I was kinda hoping an updated ULN-2 would come down the pipe next......and while I'm daydreaming, how about a ULN-16 with just converters(no preamp options) in one rack space.....
Either way it looks like I'll be joining the Metric Halo cult soon. Is there any sort of initiation/hazing?

Sean
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegenh5 View Post
Either way it looks like I'll be joining the Metric Halo cult soon. Is there any sort of initiation/hazing?
You'll receive your copy of the chant and funny hat upon product registration. heh
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkster View Post
You'll receive your copy of the chant and funny hat upon product registration. heh
Don't forget the handshake and advantages when seeking public office....
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomatic View Post
That's my favorite part.

- c
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomatic View Post
Which version of the handshake are we using now? We had that really cool one back around 2002-2003, but then the newer version started, and I've never liked it as much. I liked the "vintage" handshake better...
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegenh5 View Post
I was kinda hoping an updated ULN-2 would come down the pipe next......and while I'm daydreaming, how about a ULN-16 with just converters(no preamp options) in one rack space.....
Hire this man! Updated ULN-2 would be awesome, and an LIO-2 would be sensational!. LIO-8 is still a bit bulky for a portable solution.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthere View Post
Hire this man! Updated ULN-2 would be awesome, and an LIO-2 would be sensational!. LIO-8 is still a bit bulky for a portable solution.
And, while I'm daydreaming, how about an ULN-16 with 16 great mic pres and an additional 8 converters still in one rackspace..?

OK, I already said I was dreaming, right? Over and out.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthere View Post
Yes! Hire me! I need a day gig so I can afford this thing. heh

Sean
Old 28th March 2010
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesH View Post
And, while I'm daydreaming, how about an ULN-16 with 16 great mic pres and an additional 8 converters still in one rackspace..?

OK, I already said I was dreaming, right? Over and out.
Seems that what several people would really like is a fully modular ULN unit. Scale up or down as needed. Not so sure that's in the works, but I like the idea.

I'm cool with the ULN-8 and LIO-8 the way they are. (Have yet to sell off some gear and get one.)
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Looks like modularity and upgrades are the MH secret weapon!

Nice job MH!
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdevino View Post
Looks like modularity and upgrades are the MH secret weapon!

Nice job MH!
exactly. dont forget no compromise! the modularity makes it possible to offer the best quality product at any budget range while giving the lower budgets a chance to slowly upgrade. I LOVE that idea.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Given their track record of long-term product support (see 2882), such an upgrade oriented modular approach could also be undertaken with a strong measure of faith and confidence.
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Mamba patch bay for LIO-8 DB25s

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...o-lio-8-a.html
Old 29th March 2010
Jax
Lives for gear

I know this has been answered already somewhere (no patience to sort through 15+ pages of posts!), but I need to know:

Is the pinout for the ULN/LIO-8 the same as the Digidesign DB25 pinout?

I already have a bunch of snakes wired in the Digi format.
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Yes. The Analog DB25s are Tascam Analog pin out standard.

The AES/EBU DB25 is Tascam/Digi AES pin out compliant.

Pls note that the Analog and AES/EBU DB25 pin outs are NOT same.
Old 30th March 2010
coupon?

Someone mentioned an MH coupon email. I remember this when the ULN-8 came out, but didn't receive one for the LIO-8. Just wondering if I missed it, because I'm really considering picking this up!!
Old 30th March 2010
Gear Maniac

They were sent to registered owners AFAIK. If you have a MIO contact them with your serial number.

Steve
Old 30th March 2010
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsound View Post
Yes. The Analog DB25s are Tascam Analog pin out standard.

The AES/EBU DB25 is Tascam/Digi AES pin out compliant.

Pls note that the Analog and AES/EBU DB25 pin outs are NOT same.
Thanks for the info.
Where can I find the AES/EBU pinout?
Old 30th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Thanks for the info.
Where can I find the AES/EBU pinout?

Right Here
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
Dr. Buchalter, how about a LIO-4 with only 4 discrete ADC/DACs?
Now what we (read: I) really, really need, is a 4-channel fieldrecorder/firewire hybrid.
Like sounddevices 744t, a rugged standalone recorder, turning to a FW-interface when connected to a Mac.

Call it MIagra.

David
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

so is this interface/converter unit suitable if you want to use hardware effects for multitrack tracking and mixing? or should i be looking at a PCI-E interface to keep the latency down?

does anyone know what the latency on this unit is like and what buffer settings
are you using for say a 42 track project?

Old 2nd April 2010
Gear Addict

Here's our latency:

Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Allen, BJ and the rest of the MH gang hats off for another great product, and all the time you guys have spent before and after the sale! MH has never made promises they haven't kept and Ill say it again!
METRIC HALO IS THE BEST MAC BASED, EXPANDABLE, FIREWIRE AUDIO INTERFACE!
Old 3rd April 2010
Gear Addict

Thanks Eric!

Allen
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Rowand View Post
Here's our latency:

thanks but i'm confused....whats the delay compensation in the mixer for then? do the delays in this diagram get longer when you add DSP plugs into the mixer?

im not sure i understand how to interpret this diagram in the context of how i will use the device in real life?
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

The plugins do not add delay unless they are specifically delay plugins. There are simply no routing delays in the mixer, so everything remains delay compensated (because there is no buffering like you get in a host-based mixer).

If you use the mixer and effects that are available in the box, in real life this means that you will have 0.7 ms of latency from in to out at 96k, or 1.5ms of latency at 44.1k.

If you use the mixer in your host, then you will have 2.6ms or 4.5ms respectively at 96k and 44.1k, if you use 32 sample buffers. If you use larger buffers, then you will have larger latencies, just like with every other native interface.

In otherwords, you don't need a PCIe interface to keep the latency down; the Mobile I/O interfaces will work for you.
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

is anyone able to show me a really/relatively high res photo of the front panel?

thanks!
Old 3rd April 2010

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search