The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Metric Halo - LIO-8 Converter/Processor/Interface Audio Interfaces
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear
are the preamps user installable?
Old 25th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Yes. Here's a snippet from a mail they sent:
Quote:
The LIO-8 has the following expansion options that can be ordered with the unit pre-installed from the factory or can be ordered as field-installable upgrades:

Option MSRP US$
First 4-channel ULN-R Preamp Kit (includes connector board) 700.00
Second 4-channel ULN-R Preamp kit (requires first four channels to be installed) 625.00
Factory Install of Hardware upgrade 89.00
+DSP license 699.00
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Hey, I see it has the two front panel ins. Do those still have the DI card from the ULN-8? If so, that would be a big plus for an already cool unit.
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear
thanks for that o1
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Am I understanding correctly that when you purchase the LIO-8 plus the DSP+ license, you are essentially getting the whole Metric Halo experience minus the pres?
Old 25th March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythinglouder View Post
Am I understanding correctly that when you purchase the LIO-8 plus the DSP+ license, you are essentially getting the whole Metric Halo experience minus the pres?
This is correct
Old 25th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntax View Post
Hey, I see it has the two front panel ins. Do those still have the DI card from the ULN-8? If so, that would be a big plus for an already cool unit.
Yes, you still have the DI inputs on Line 1&2.
Old 25th March 2010
Re: Metric Halo Introduces LIO-8 Converter/Processor/Interface

I will try to stop by at MESSE to check it out!
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Dr. Buchalter, how about a LIO-4 with only 4 discrete ADC/DACs?
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear
awesome! This is a bit closer to my budget.

I love that you can add the pres in later on. fantastic. Id love to see a ULN4 doing this same thing. then I could get the ULN4 without the pres and add them later if I felt I needed them. The idea of having a no compromise product at different budget ranges but offering it without features that can still be added on in the future really is fantastic.

and as always Id love to see the ULN-2 get the same quality ULN-8 converters. If that happened then I would definitely pick up a ULN-2. I've been debating it for a while as im stuck with my crappy mbox2 right now. oh man is it terrible.
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedommer View Post
awesome! This is a bit closer to my budget.

I love that you can add the pres in later on. fantastic. Id love to see a ULN4 doing this same thing. then I could get the ULN4 without the pres and add them later if I felt I needed them. The idea of having a no compromise product at different budget ranges but offering it without features that can still be added on in the future really is fantastic.

and as always Id love to see the ULN-2 get the same quality ULN-8 converters. If that happened then I would definitely pick up a ULN-2. I've been debating it for a while as im stuck with my crappy mbox2 right now. oh man is it terrible.
The ULN-2 converters are every bit as good as the apogee rosetta converters I have. They are no slouch.

Man, this LIO box is a FANTASTIC idea. FANTASTIC
Old 25th March 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
This is possible now. You can add the preamps in kits of 4. From mh:

Quote:
Since it includes the full ULN-8 front panel and power supply, it is easily expandable by adding the ULN-R preamps in 4-channel blocks.
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Ah, I guess I meant street price. Probably around $3500 then. Thanks!
Usually with MH it's the same...

Btw,is this without the +DSP, for sure?

edit: I guess it's without...
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
Only a matter of time before this request came down the pike, I'm just surprised it happened so quickly.

- c
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Only a matter of time before this request came down the pike, I'm just surprised it happened so quickly.

- c
Im not. it makes sense. and they seem to be eluding to it by offering the ability to buy pres in blocks of 4. a LIO-4 could use the same pre cards. only different would be 4 less converters(plus displays, knobs etc of course) then LIO-8
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Zero View Post
The ULN-2 converters are every bit as good as the apogee rosetta converters I have. They are no slouch. FANTASTIC
oh I know. and I will probably pick up the ULN-2 anyways because I know this. but hey why cant I want better its gearslutz for a reason.
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedommer View Post
Im not. it makes sense. and they seem to be eluding to it by offering the ability to buy pres in blocks of 4. a LIO-4 could use the same pre cards. only different would be 4 less converters(plus displays, knobs etc of course) then LIO-8
Don't know if it was intentional, but I like your use of "eluding" here. It's a fantastic double-entendre insinuation.

Listen, to be clear, I'm not saying it doesn't make sense for some consumers to desire such a thing. The question is whether it would make sense for the small corporation that is Metric Halo. And only Halo can know the answer to that. That's the main issue. We all want them to survive, right?

Making new products is a lot of design/build labor and it has to make financial sense. Keeping your product line streamlined is a good way to survive.

I don't have a horse in the race, so to speak. I hope everybody gets what they want. The consumers want what they want and MHalo wants to survive and prosper and put food on the table for their owners and employees.

- c
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post

I don't have a horse in the race, so to speak. I hope everybody gets what they want. The consumers want what they want and MHalo wants to survive and prosper and put food on the table for their owners and employees.

- c
Sure you do, you have a ULN8. You want stable drivers and firmware and a continually evolving software interface. The hardware is great, however this is why Metric Halo customers are rabid.
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

This introduces stress .....i want this thing.....where to find the money.
I mean just marrying this with a lunch box is enough to give any jaded Gearslutz instant wood. Throw a set of DAV's, Great Rivers at this thing ...ooh la la, as we say here .....

I wasn't going to buy any more gear

How to fund ?
-Sell old car
-Beg wife
-Both of the above ...
-By her that new car then justify further debt (now no money for LIO) - bad idea...back to the drawing board ...ok

C'mon BJ - get out that chain saw ......LIO 4 .....anyone ?
Cdlt
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

10 analog outs ?

I take it , this means 8 analog outputs on the db25 connector, plus the two channels in the headphone out ?
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
Sure you do, you have a ULN8. You want stable drivers and firmware and a continually evolving software interface. The hardware is great, however this is why Metric Halo customers are rabid.
Well, yeah. True. Guilty as charged, you got me there. But I presume this is what everyone wants from Metric Halo, current users and prospective users alike. I didn't regard that as a particularly partisan stance.

- c
Old 26th March 2010
Gear Nut

To mirror what has been stated above. I would also love to see a LIO-4, with only 4 AD converters, and a max of 4 pre-amps. If they sold a LIO-4 with the option of buying 4 preamps, I think they would sell many units.

Assuming the unit cost would be cut in half, a price of $1995 for a LIO-4, and $2700 including preamps, and $3400 including +DSP would be a perfect middle ground. To cut costs they can even use the ULN-8 body for streamlining.

I would still like to have 8 analog outputs tho, not sure if that's possible while keeping the cost down.
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukejs View Post
I take it , this means 8 analog outputs on the db25 connector, plus the two channels in the headphone out ?
The headphones mult Analog 1/2 out. So while you have access to both, it's the same source.
Old 26th March 2010
I vote for the LIO-4 (with an 18-channel digital mixer). I really don't need 8 channels of I/O, 4 would be perfect, for me.
Old 26th March 2010
Gear Head

How about a Lio 3.5? I only need 3 channels plus a mono headphone out. You can house it in an old cigar box to save cost. C'mon Metric Halo!
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
The headphones mult Analog 1/2 out. So while you have access to both, it's the same source.
Is this a change on the LIO-8?

That's not how it works on the ULN-8 in terms of physical architecture (or the 2882 for that matter). Now, in the software many of the console templates set up the headphone outs as a mult of 1&2 for ease of use, but it doesn't have to be configured that way. "Cans" can be selected as a discrete output set (see attached image).
Attached Thumbnails
Metric Halo - LIO-8 Converter/Processor/Interface-cans.jpg  
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phigwalla View Post
How about a Lio 3.5? I only need 3 channels plus a mono headphone out. You can house it in an old cigar box to save cost. C'mon Metric Halo!
heh
Old 26th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukejs View Post
That's correct. While it's possible to mult the headphone output from a bus, it can be fed from any input or bus directly or from the Monitor Controller.

Allen
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

adat and spdif in would be killer
would make a great companion to a 002/003...
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

the headphone DA's quality ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Rowand View Post
That's correct. While it's possible to mult the headphone output from a bus, it can be fed from any input or bus directly or from the Monitor Controller.

Allen
It is stated that there are 10 archival quality DA outputs, so does that mean that the da's that feed the headphone out are the same da's as on the db25 outs ? (just unbalanced?) I guess to make a long story short.....If I wanted to mix 10 outs on an analog console, would there be a difference in quality in the two unbalanced channels that come from the headphone out ? I'm just trying to figure out how many channels of good DA I would have if I buy the LIO8. I have an Apogee mini DAC I could set up on an AES out, so I'm hoping I'd then have 12 DA's for mixing on the console ??

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search