The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
VOXENGO DEFT Buss Compressor Dynamics Plugins
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

VOXENGO DEFT Buss Compressor

another new buss compressor...

Audio track and bus compressor plugin - Deft Compressor - Voxengo
Old 22nd March 2010
seems like a very nice little compressor - good for busses
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Addict

so many native plugs for mac now !
Old 22nd March 2010
Here for the gear

this will work 64 bit in logic?
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Mmmmmm.. Looks like just a regular comp. Nothing special about this one.. And why the fvck every company have to put the words vintage, harmonic distortion and warm in the product's description? The GUI is really ugly too
Old 22nd March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
Mmmmmm.. Looks like just a regular comp. Nothing special about this one.. And why the fvck every company have to put the words vintage, harmonic distortion and warm in the product's description? The GUI is really ugly too
so you tried it then?
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

This new compressor sounds great to me, and has some nice colour and punch in VINTAGE mode.

Try it, and try to push it in VINTAGE mode, playing with the output gain knob and setting up fast attack and release.

A really good one in my book.

And the GUI colour can be customized. Looks great in blue to me thumbsup.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
so you tried it then?
Not really, the voxengo stuff always sounded terrible to my ears.. Maybe this one is differentheh I'm just saying man.. The new stillwell bomb is more appealing feature wise and the gui doesn't look like a drawing from elementary school kids
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not really, the voxengo stuff always sounded terrible to my ears.. Maybe this one is differentheh I'm just saying man.. The new stillwell bomb is more appealing feature wise and the gui doesn't look like a drawing from elementary school kids
Really? The elephant limiter for example sounds terrible to you?

Maybe it's because you hate the GUI so much that it affects your judgment. If so it wouldn't be an uncommon phenomenon.
Old 22nd March 2010
Quote:
great thanks for your contribution
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

for some reason, voxengos design doesn't appeal to me neither.
what also kept me away from getting really into them is the metering.
i know many people say elephant is one of the best limiters. this might be true, but the metering seems so unprecise and VERY hard to read IMO.
a MAJOR reason i never got that plugin even if it's quiet cheap.

nevertheless: they make some great tools and i use some of them constantly (i LOVE stereo touch - in every mix)

ok...enough off topic...let me test this buss comp!
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Addict

Voxengo Elephant is an excellent limiter
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounded terrible?

I've only gotten into them in the last year or so these plugins sound amazing and are so deep.

There aren't many things that can do what the new Gliss EQ can do, Voxformer is just a sick channel strip and can shape a vocal in so many ways (2 compressors!), VariSaturator can do the Sonnox Inflator thing and Elephant is a beast.

I admit that it took me a while to get used to the GUI's but I regularly use plugins with no GUI's (airwindows) so whatever. It's about sound to me.

I can't wait to test the Deft compressor vs. PHP's Old Timer. Despite Old Timer getting so many raves on here, i can never really get it to work for me. It makes the attack too "spitty" or "peaky" of whatever I put it on.

Kind of off-topic, the one thing I'm looking for is a compressor that does the negative ratios like they Elysia Mpressor - I'm not spending $440 for a plugin and I feel like someone should step in and make a creative compressor like that at the $100 price point.
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop View Post
Sounded terrible?

I've only gotten into them in the last year or so these plugins sound amazing and are so deep.

There aren't many things that can do what the new Gliss EQ can do, Voxformer is just a sick channel strip and can shape a vocal in so many ways (2 compressors!), VariSaturator can do the Sonnox Inflator thing and Elephant is a beast.

I admit that it took me a while to get used to the GUI's but I regularly use plugins with no GUI's (airwindows) so whatever. It's about sound to me.

I can't wait to test the Deft compressor vs. PHP's Old Timer. Despite Old Timer getting so many raves on here, i can never really get it to work for me. It makes the attack too "spitty" or "peaky" of whatever I put it on.
I completely agree with you.

The sound of ALL the new versions of the Voxengo plugins is top notch. It's just a matter of getting used to them and their "not so common" interface.

For example, the Harm filter on GlissEQ 3 is something to test (love that), the VariSaturator is a one of a kind with it's 2 bands, and their Crunchessor V2 is really a cool track compressor with lot of sound shaping options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop View Post
Kind of off-topic, the one thing I'm looking for is a compressor that does the negative ratios like they Elysia Mpressor - I'm not spending $440 for a plugin and I feel like someone should step in and make a creative compressor like that at the $100 price point.
As for a good compressor which does negative ratios, the ArtsAcoustic CL Series is just GREAT and is priced at $229 :

ArtsAcoustic | because sound matters
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

sonnox is hard to look at to, but is nice...

voxengo seem to be hit and miss...
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I use This stuff all the time , it is great - GUI is fiine . The reason why companies describe their products as warm and vintage is because that is what they are trying to emulate . so we as the consumer will have an idea of what it will do , Others may say modern/clean/transparent etc .
Old 23rd March 2010
Yes, this Russian "design" of the Voxengo plug-ins are not a thing why people fetch this plug-ins. IMHO the interfaces are very ugly.
But the functionality its ok, the price is friendly and the sound is good and this should be the main thing?

I don't like any compressor from Voxengo, sold my Marquis some times ago. And this Deft compressor.. hmm.. no, I don't like it.
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
great thanks for your contribution
No problem man anytimefuuck
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgear View Post
Really? The elephant limiter for example sounds terrible to you?

Maybe it's because you hate the GUI so much that it affects your judgment. If so it wouldn't be an uncommon phenomenon.
Well everybody is entitled to have an opinion right? I don't like how voxengo plug ins sound regardless their look. There are far superior sounding stuff like uad,waves and softube..
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well everybody is entitled to have an opinion right? I don't like how voxengo plug ins sound regardless their look. There are far superior sounding stuff like uad,waves and softube..
I'd rate the sound of Voxengo Elephant higher than Waves L1/L2/L3, far more tweakable controls too.

Their R8Brain Pro is still one of the best sounding sample rate convertors too. Nothing quite sounds like the GlissEQ either with its unique dynamic behaviour.

I must admit when I first saw their new style of GUI for their plugins I wasn't soo sure from a screenshot. It was only once I actually started using them (when I upgraded to Elephant v3) that I realise just how good and intuitive they are to use. Plus you can change their colour scheme if you don't like the default colours.
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

there couldn't be a more biased and chlichee answer such as this!
Old 23rd March 2010
Quote:
There are far superior sounding stuff like uad,waves and softube..
Yes and no. Some plug-ins like the Elephant can hold the candle without problems. With blind tests in some forums listener often preferred this over the much more expensive plug-in like Sonnox, UAD, Waves,...

But it may be right, that Voxengo has not their focus to the high end market. The interface is ugly, the marketing (and also the price) is more focused to the homerecording people.
I think this is the main "problem". Ok, not really a problem, but why some professionals are thinking that Voxengo plug-ins are only Russian toys.
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
.. nope.

Voxengo Elephant 3 is still the one to beat when it comes to limiters. No matter the price/brand/flashy graphics. Another winner is Gliss EQ3 which is completely unique and unmatched by anything else.

But hey.. you're entitled to your opinion of course.

Cheers!
bManic
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I gotta agree with everyone else here, waves and uad can't beat elephant in the limiting game.

When it comes to compression, I guess voxengo might not be as fantastic as some of the products by the other 3 companies you mentioned. But "Terrible"? No way.
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not really, the voxengo stuff always sounded terrible to my ears..
Maybe you should make an appointment.

I just love the infantile proclamations--"nothing new here...nuff said..enter my response directly into the Bible"

Did you try it?..."No"

Priceless

How would you like if you worked hard on a new compressor...released it and it shows up in the new products section at gearslutz..where many people first hear about your product..and some thoughtless person throws out comments like yours without even trying it?

I subscribe to Soundsonline and I have seen Voxengo in some of the best mixers in the worlds mixes---so your blanket statement that their terrible only reflects on you--not them.
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Is it supposed to be like an SSL bus comp? That's the impression I got from the write up.
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgear View Post
I gotta agree with everyone else here, waves and uad can't beat elephant in the limiting game.

When it comes to compression, I guess voxengo might not be as fantastic as some of the products by the other 3 companies you mentioned. But "Terrible"? No way.
wow.. I didn't know voxengo was so respected around here
But i stand by my words! They sound like logic stock plug ins to me. End of story. I have my opinion, ya'll have yoursthumbsup
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post

I just love the infantile proclamations--"nothing new here...nuff said..enter my response directly into the Bible"

Did you try it?..."No"

Priceless

How would you like if you worked hard on a new compressor...released it and it shows up in the new products section at gearslutz..where many people first hear about your product..and some thoughtless person throws out comments like yours without even trying it?

I subscribe to Soundsonline and I have seen Voxengo in some of the best mixers in the worlds mixes---so your blanket statement that their terrible only reflects on you--not them.
Ehy WTF??! Ya'll wanna calm the f***k down??! I didn't say that this plug in sound like ****. I said that all the voxengo stuff i tried sounded like ****! Do me a favor will ya? Don't twist my words around next time man
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear
Nice comp., I find all Voxengo plug-ins to be special in a good way. I haven't seen a single pro mastering engineer disliking their products.
Old 23rd March 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post

Did you try it?..."No"

Priceless

+1, couldn't have said it better.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search