The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
VOXENGO DEFT Buss Compressor Dynamics Plugins
Old 26th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
...I end up using the marquis by voxengo as it is the most transparent...
I don't really know about this one being the most transparent, but it sounds just GREAT and i can only cry my eyes out about the windows-only availability.
Old 26th March 2010
Gear Maniac

the demo is not showing up in cubase 4.5
but wavelab is showing the plugin
Old 26th March 2010
Here for the gear

No problem here in Cubase 4.5.
Old 26th March 2010
OMU
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spasm_dtc View Post
I don't really know about this one being the most transparent, but it sounds just GREAT and i can only cry my eyes out about the windows-only availability.
DEFT is available for mac also.
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by droogs View Post
the demo is not showing up in cubase 4.5
but wavelab is showing the plugin
Sometimes you have to go into Plugin Information and and enable the plug.
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Addict

Marquis didn't do it at all for me, but this sounds great. Nice to see a good non-emulation plug-in again.
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
DEFT is available for mac also.
i wasn't talking about deft there but about Marquis .... which is win only, unless i've missed something.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtrbn View Post
Marquis didn't do it at all for me, but this sounds great. Nice to see a good non-emulation plug-in again.
Stop drinking that whiskey and make another Demo on your drum buss thumbsup
Old 20th June 2010
Gear Head

Had to wade in on this thread.

1. Voxengo plugins sound bad?
Craziness. And the demo of Deft sounds good to me too. If I needed another compressor I would buy it instantly.

I have more than one song in rotation on US radio right now that I have mixed that are chock full of Voxengo plugins.

They sound great. Period.

2. The interface.
In every Voxengo thread the interface argument comes up. I get it. people want their plugins to look cool no matter how they sound. Some of the most horrid plugins I have heard had really cool looking vintagey interfaces.

In defense of the voxengo interfaces I can only say I wish all the plugins I used had such advance GUI features, good metering, and innovative features. The Voxengo plugs use a very clinical sort of scientific interface. I like this. I would be fine if the UAD LA2A (which I also like) just had two small knobs on a brown background. Especially if when I held cntrl or alt the plugin did something useful for me.

3. Anti Russian sentiment itt????
I don't see it, but if you are so stupid to turn down Alexey's fantastic plugins based on where he is from then I would never allow you to work in my studio. Not only because you have already shown that your ears are broken, but also because you are silly.
Old 20th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cAPSLOCK View Post

Craziness. And the demo of Deft sounds good to me too. If I needed another compressor I would buy it instantly.

I have more than one song in rotation on US radio right now that I have mixed that are chock full of Voxengo plugins.

2. The interface.
In every Voxengo thread the interface argument comes up. I get it. people want their plugins to look cool no matter how they sound. Some of the most horrid plugins I have heard had really cool looking vintagey interfaces.

In defense of the voxengo interfaces I can only say I wish all the plugins I used had such advance GUI features, good metering, and innovative features. The Voxengo plugs use a very clinical sort of scientific interface. I like this. I would be fine if the UAD LA2A (which I also like) just had two small knobs on a brown background. Especially if when I held cntrl or alt the plugin did something useful for me.

I don't see it, but if you are so stupid to turn down Alexey's fantastic plugins based on where he is from then I would never allow you to work in my studio. Not only because you have already shown that your ears are broken, but also because you are silly.
Old 21st June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
I said that all the voxengo stuff i tried sounded like ****! Do me a favor will ya? Don't twist my words around next time man
It's my suspicion that it's actually you who's sh*t.

Listen, you're a young guy, right? Full of testosterone, at the beginning of your career, lots to prove, bladeeblah. You have an inner sense of fear that you're not gonna make it as big as you want, and all this negative energy is manifesting itself with you babbling nonsense here on GS. But you must remember that these post of yours will still be viewable many years from now, and it might just be that you regret it - food for thought.
Old 21st June 2010
Gear Addict

I'll take it a small step past just not liking the look.
To me the look of the interface scares me. It looks like the type of half baked shareware that will wreak havoc on my computer's stability. If it wasn't for the reputation and feedback from sites like this, I'd run for the hills.

As far as the comments about pretty gui's slowing down the plugs, I'm sure you could accomplish that but using a simple, nice, pretty looking photoshop image as the face plate would go a long way and cause zero additional drain.

There are some plugs that embrace and exaggerate the minimalist, non pretty approach and I like it, if done well.
Old 21st June 2010
Gear Maniac

you got some beautiful shareware if that's what it looks like...

Old 25th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
Not really, the voxengo stuff always sounded terrible to my ears.. Maybe this one is differentheh I'm just saying man.. The new stillwell bomb is more appealing feature wise and the gui doesn't look like a drawing from elementary school kids
^^. I like stillwell's bomb, but it's GUI is too funky and bombastic for my taste. I don't think it's a good GUI from a working perspective. E.g. the buttons are not easy to handle / fumbly and so on.

In contrast I love the Voxengo GUI. It's very practical, resizeable, you can enter values directly via keyboard. I really don't understand what should be negative about this GUI.

Ok the Old Voxengo GUI was terrible, but the new one is a dream !!
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

I have to say that I really like both GUI's but the sound of the Stillwell's Bombardier wins for me!
Old 1st April 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cAPSLOCK View Post

2. The interface.

A breath of the fresh air of sanity.
I love Voxengo plugins; have for years. In every category in which Aleksey has an entrant, I generally find that I prefer it. He was years ahead in the impulse space with Perfect Space (no pun intended) and Elephant is a flawless piece of software.
And I love the interface: it's functional and full of innovative features.
I don't compare the sound of plugins imitating hardware to other plugins imitating hardware. I either compare them to the hardware itself, or let them make their own sonic statement. And the latter is the most sane route.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search