The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
VOXENGO DEFT Buss Compressor Dynamics Plugins
Old 23rd March 2010
  #31
Stillwell/Softube/UAD plugins look great... then you start to use them and realise how they've sacrificed information feedback and usability for pretty textures etc.

Voxengo don't knock you over with visual first impressions, but then you begin using them and realise just how much thought has been put into the GUI. You can change the colours, change the size of the GUI, even type values in with the mouse using the pop-up keyboard, change the routing, A-B -- every revamped Voxengo plugin with the new format now have these features. I'll take that over photorealism any day.

Waves seem to have struck a nice balance these days between usability and eye-candy. The balance between aesthetics and utility is always difficult to get just right, but when it comes down to working with these plugins I'll take utility.
Old 23rd March 2010
  #32
Gear Nut
 

dont understand why some people dont like the gui..to me it looks great. its mmmmuch more better then it used to be. i didnot use voxengo before the gui upgrade. i remember everyone was saying only the good stuff about voxengo but i simply couldnot stand the old gui 'cause it looked so cheap(yes, i like eye candy).now its very nice......maybe its 'cause im russian)))

as about new compressor..to me its sounds nice.mmmaybe the attack is not as fast as, for example, cytomic has cause i 'checked it on smexoscope and i can see that sometimes i want a faster attack. i need more time to tweak it.


p.s. to say voxengo sounds terrible----- strange. i wouldnot be so radical.
gliss eq is amazing!
Old 23rd March 2010
  #33
Lives for gear
 

I sense some ever so light, anti Russian sentiment here. Personally, I don’t use plugins in my studio and use computers only for audio capture but most of my friends engineers with whom I collaborate in different studios prefer Voxengo tools to everything else out there and nobody ever mentioned or discussed GUI.

I think Russians are never been known for their great esthetics in design and they don’t care that much about visual appeal but they are known for their scientific genius and in classical styles they simply have no competition. All of that to say is that after numerous mixing sessions I've seen again and again Voxengo plugins were chosen above all others, I believe there is a lot of innovation beneath their simple GUIthumbsup.
Old 23rd March 2010
  #34
Lives for gear
I would like to see nice and shiny 3D GUI but for Christ sake i am all for sound so simply put i don't care as long as plugin is good sounding.

Call me crazy but this one is wonderful for my drums. I don't know. Only thing that seems to do it for me is Tubetech CL1B and Voxengo stuff. Voxengo Marquis is probably (in very wrong way) MOST UNDERRATED compressor of all time.
Old 24th March 2010
  #35
Lives for gear
 

I think they look good - adjustable GUI sizes is a brilliant addition as well for those using larger screens... As always, one mans dragon is anothers princess. Really like GlissEQ and VariSat, so this ones getting a spin for sure.

Cheers for heads up Miro
Old 24th March 2010
  #36
Here for the gear
 

I just tried out the demo on a mix and loved the sound. It seems to have something the other Voxengo compressors lack in the low end. I really liked what it did to the kick next to some other compressors. Just try the demo for yourself. It's of course going to vary with the material, but I'm very impressed so far and I think I'm going to get it at the introductory price (I think it goes up 20% later sometime). Very usable for me and cheap to.

As far as the GUI's, I didn't like Voxengo at first either, because of the learning curve. But once you learn how to use their stuff you can see how clever and versatile these plugin's are. I'm kind of amazed with several of them.
Old 24th March 2010
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Arksun's Avatar
Finally got round to demoing this compressor. Hmmm, I really tried but, I just couldn't get on with this one :/ . Especially after demoing the Bombardier which knocked my socks off with its tweakability and range of sonic colour.
Old 24th March 2010
  #38
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
Ehy WTF??! Ya'll wanna calm the f***k down??! I didn't say that this plug in sound like ****. I said that all the voxengo stuff i tried sounded like ****! Do me a favor will ya? Don't twist my words around next time man
What he's talking about, is that you come into this thread with a negative comment about outdated plugins that happen to have the same manufacturer. It would be the same if Waves or whatever company would release a new EQ and you'd say 'well the first Waves EQ sucked ass'. Doesn't add anything. Just try this new compressor and give your opinion, no use in sharing negative experiences of using products somewhere in the past that are now outdated I guess.

Old 24th March 2010
  #39
Fhl
Lives for gear
 
Fhl's Avatar
 

I own alot of Voxengo plugins. The GlissEQ is amazing. I haven't tried anything like it. The elephant is great too. Have to give this a try!

Thanks
Old 24th March 2010
  #40
Lives for gear
 
gussyg2007's Avatar
Yer the GUI are a bit basic but if you can get over it they make great plugs !! And the elephant has got to be one of the most powerful ITB limiters available! not really in the market for a new bus comp but will give it a try thumbsup
Old 24th March 2010
  #41
Lives for gear
 
filterfreak's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csl View Post
Stillwell/Softube/UAD plugins look great... then you start to use them and realise how they've sacrificed information feedback and usability for pretty textures etc.

Voxengo don't knock you over with visual first impressions, but then you begin using them and realise just how much thought has been put into the GUI. You can change the colours, change the size of the GUI, even type values in with the mouse using the pop-up keyboard, change the routing, A-B -- every revamped Voxengo plugin with the new format now have these features. I'll take that over photorealism any day.

Waves seem to have struck a nice balance these days between usability and eye-candy. The balance between aesthetics and utility is always difficult to get just right, but when it comes down to working with these plugins I'll take utility.
Many Softube/UAD plugins are modelled after hardware classics, used for decades, so I wouldn´t say these lack of usability! And btw, the sound of Voxengo-plugins is not bad, but not in Softube/UAD league!
Old 24th March 2010
  #42
Gear Nut
 
Midi_Glider's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
Maybe you should make an appointment.

I just love the infantile proclamations--"nothing new here...nuff said..enter my response directly into the Bible"

Did you try it?..."No"

Priceless

How would you like if you worked hard on a new compressor...released it and it shows up in the new products section at gearslutz..where many people first hear about your product..and some thoughtless person throws out comments like yours without even trying it?

I subscribe to Soundsonline and I have seen Voxengo in some of the best mixers in the worlds mixes---so your blanket statement that their terrible only reflects on you--not them.
+1
The Voxengo stuff is superb.

And for the people who discards plugins based on their visuals... well, are ya mixing with your eyes or your ears, FFS?!



Best,
midi.
Old 24th March 2010
  #43
Gear Nut
 

I just tired it out over a steven slate kit... its just sounds OK to me. i will have to try it out on some vox and guitars. dont mind the rough n ready gui, i'm really just worried what it sounds like.. although i think psychologically it would come across as a better plug if t had VU meters and analog looking knobs, values n stuff
Old 25th March 2010
  #44
The importance that some people gives to GUIs is scary. Honestly, I don't care. If it sounds great I'm into it - no matter if its a eye-candy or MS-DOS command prompt......or would you ratter compromise sound because of a great looking interface?
Old 25th March 2010
  #45
OMU
Lives for gear
 
OMU's Avatar
 

I really like the sound of this compressor (it does oversampling too). Excellent job!
Old 25th March 2010
  #46
Lives for gear
 
solidstate's Avatar
 

So I decided to give this plug in a spin.. It sounded 'ok' on drums and mediocre at best on vocals. I really don't understand all the fuzz about
Yeah maybe it sound a bit better than logic stock plugs but it doesn't even come close to the SSL x-comp, softube cl1b/fet, uad fatso, waves cla.. Just to name a few

Apparently i'm not the one who needs an appointmentheh
Old 25th March 2010
  #47
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
So I decided to give this plug in a spin.. It sounded 'ok' on drums and mediocre at best on vocals. I really don't understand all the fuzz about
Yeah maybe it sound a bit better than logic stock plugs but it doesn't even come close to the SSL x-comp, softube cl1b/fet, uad fatso, waves cla.. Just to name a few

Apparently i'm not the one who needs an appointmentheh
When Voxnego announce partnership with Douch* XY and when they put shiny logo on GUI + "We put 6.22 months of precise analog measurement" i am sure you will think it is sounding better
Old 25th March 2010
  #48
Chill guys....

Going a bit off-topic since there was some flames flying around (some coming from myself as well). I feel like reminding us all about something - a simple fact we all know but sometimes we just get lost among thousand of knobs that we forgot about some stuff.

I don't get any kind of rave....even the things that are considered by many as "commom places" might not work for some. IMO all tools are program/situation dependent. The challenge is to know what piece does the job that has to be done in the best way.

For example = Elephant. It's a plug that I (and many many users here) use a lot, but (to my surprise) few weeks ago we were testing limiters for a song and L2 (plug) gave the best results. It was the first time that L2 felt like the right thing for me. Maybe the last. Time will tell.

Bottomline = don't rule out anything just because it didnt worked because it might work in some other situation. Understand what each piece can offer and perhaps someday will you face a situation where that plug full of static dust will work much better than something you use 90% of the time.

Old 25th March 2010
  #49
Lives for gear
 
solidstate's Avatar
 

Aw man.. What's wrong with you people?! Can't I just have my fvcking opinion please?!! All I said that this plug in didn't seem to bring anything new to the table and all the voxengo stuff don't sound on par with other stuff. I did mention that the GUI looks horrible but again that's my fvcking opinion. You can't just tell me that I judge plug ins from their look or who's endorsing what. You don't know nothing about me so don't act like you where in the studio with me! You know what fvck this thread, I'm out!
Old 25th March 2010
  #50
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
Aw man.. What's wrong with you people?! Can't I just have my fvcking opinion please?!! All I said that this plug in didn't seem to bring anything new to the table and all the voxengo stuff don't sound on par with other stuff. I did mention that the GUI looks horrible but again that's my fvcking opinion. You can't just tell me that I judge plug ins from their look or who's endorsing what. You don't know nothing about me so don't act like you where in the studio with me! You know what fvck this thread, I'm out!
I don't think that I was the target of this but I got your point. We all have the right to have our opinions, no need to say that...and sometimes everyone here feels like going out. Which is absolutelly natural.

I just think that stating "this sucks" is counter-productive. Sucks for "this", might be great for "that".

Only Behringer's mixers are the exception to that. They suck!

....but they might give "that" dirty n ugly lo-fi sound you wanted on that phrase at bar 82.
Old 25th March 2010
  #51
Gear Maniac
 

OH MY GOD - Are we going to have that much trolling and BS every time a new plugin comes out now? you guys have no jobs anymore ?
"uuuuh, it looks like ****" "uuuuh my taste isn't the same as yours, you suck" - hell, is that kindergarten or what?

So, BACK TO TOPIC: did anyone have the occasion to actually HEAR this plugin yet or not? If yes, what did you think of it? (an please forget about the GUI, this is gearslutz, not a graphic design school)
Old 25th March 2010
  #52
Here for the gear
 

Yep, it's kindergarten and BTW: to have an opinion you gotta give the thing in question a fair shake first. Other than that it is prejudice.....
Old 25th March 2010
  #53
Lives for gear
 
solidstate's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzel View Post
Yep, it's kindergarten and BTW: to have an opinion you gotta give the thing in question a fair shake first. Other than that it is prejudice.....
Here we go again Make sure you make the 5th post count Re read the thread from the beginning dude. Make sure you R-E-A-D ALL of my posts too.
Old 25th March 2010
  #54
Gear Maniac
 

Thumbs up not that bad at all...

.....

ok, i tested it - it's not bad at all, i'm not such a fan of the rumored "vintage" mode, that's a bit too colourfull for my taste and i don't really find it to be that vintage flavoured.
Other than that it's pretty clean and indeed pretty transparent for a plugin in that category and in this price-range, although it can't really compete with the "heavy-weights" of the market (UAD stuff, Sonnox or Duende) in my opinion (i don't say expensive stuff is necessarily better, but THIS expensive stuff sounds better to me ).
It may be usefull though, since it has a particular, not unpleasant colour to it (whether you're in vintage mode or not) - it reminds me of an old Smartelectronix compressor i had a few years ago on the PPC mac, and gives a nice edge used in parrallel compression routing on the drums buss or used to tame a funky bassline. For those who have the Elephant, it sounds quite similar.
Well, that's all i can say after 30 minutes testing and with a long day of ear bashing behind me, but as someone who's not usaually a Voxengo fan, i'm quite positively surprised.
Old 25th March 2010
  #55
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
Here we go again Make sure you make the 5th post count Re read the thread from the beginning dude. Make sure you R-E-A-D ALL of my posts too.
I guess it's better, you read your posts before you post 'em. How old are you, if I may ask, twelve?
Old 25th March 2010
  #56
Here for the gear
 

I love it!

I am really surprised that nobody is giving this a better review. I see all of the posts comparing it and saying this or that is better, and so I try and compare others that I have or get the demos, and I just can't get the sound I am loving that is coming out of this compressor on the material I'm using it on. I'm using it across an entire mix (pop/R&B) and I just love what it's doing below 100hz...it's almost magical! The whole thing sounds very pleasing to my ears on the source I'm using it on. I have to buy this plug because I haven't been able to find anything that quite does what I'm loving about it on this track.

I guess this just shows how subjective music is and how everyone has different tastes. Not to mention how this plug may do wonders on one source, yet may do nothing for others. Yes I tried some Waves, UAD, Flux and Stillwell plugs and by far loved this one. On other sources I am quite sure those would win, but this plug definitely ranks tops in some uses.

Has anyone else noticed a particularly pleasing sound with this belowe 100hz on an entire mix or even drums & bass?

Just my opinion.heh
Old 25th March 2010
  #57
Gear Head
 
Finkelstein's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
I'm out!
why did you come back?
Old 25th March 2010
  #58
Lives for gear
 
Arksun's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark River View Post
I am really surprised that nobody is giving this a better review. I see all of the posts comparing it and saying this or that is better, and so I try and compare others that I have or get the demos, and I just can't get the sound I am loving that is coming out of this compressor on the material I'm using it on. I'm using it across an entire mix (pop/R&B) and I just love what it's doing below 100hz...it's almost magical! The whole thing sounds very pleasing to my ears on the source I'm using it on. I have to buy this plug because I haven't been able to find anything that quite does what I'm loving about it on this track.

I guess this just shows how subjective music is and how everyone has different tastes. Not to mention how this plug may do wonders on one source, yet may do nothing for others. Yes I tried some Waves, UAD, Flux and Stillwell plugs and by far loved this one. On other sources I am quite sure those would win, but this plug definitely ranks tops in some uses.

Has anyone else noticed a particularly pleasing sound with this belowe 100hz on an entire mix or even drums & bass?

Just my opinion.heh
Right, not getting on with a compressor doesn't necessarily make it bad. I couldn't get on with this particular compressor at all, but I certainly don't think its bad. If some people out there are loving it, the product is a success.
Old 26th March 2010
  #59
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark River View Post
I am really surprised that nobody is giving this a better review. I see all of the posts comparing it and saying this or that is better, and so I try and compare others that I have or get the demos, and I just can't get the sound I am loving that is coming out of this compressor on the material I'm using it on. I'm using it across an entire mix (pop/R&B) and I just love what it's doing below 100hz...it's almost magical! The whole thing sounds very pleasing to my ears on the source I'm using it on. I have to buy this plug because I haven't been able to find anything that quite does what I'm loving about it on this track.

I guess this just shows how subjective music is and how everyone has different tastes. Not to mention how this plug may do wonders on one source, yet may do nothing for others. Yes I tried some Waves, UAD, Flux and Stillwell plugs and by far loved this one. On other sources I am quite sure those would win, but this plug definitely ranks tops in some uses.

Has anyone else noticed a particularly pleasing sound with this belowe 100hz on an entire mix or even drums & bass?

Just my opinion.heh
As i said, i just had time and a bit of energy left to test it for about 30 minutes. Second, this compressor working more or less well very certainly depends on the material you're using it on. And on the material i used it on, my "usual suspects" did better, which may have different causes, including me knowing to work them better than the voxengo.
It is indeed a personal thing, a matter of taste and we're only comparing because we need to - if it were the only plugin we know, we'd all think it's great, wouldn't we heh
Old 26th March 2010
  #60
Lives for gear
 
ARIEL's Avatar
It does really boil down to ones taste and style of mixing and what your trying to achieve , I own the SSL waves stuff , the Duende , UAD and Voxengo - I put them all through their paces for months - their compressors and limiters - I end up using the marquis by voxengo as it is the most transparent and the elephant as a limiter , for eq I dig the SSL X-eq - I don't like the sound of any color or glueyness as a 2 buss . I am def interested in trying ou tthe new comp .Also the new GUI of voxengo is actually very good while your mixing easy on the eyes simple and clear . I think it looks pro and you know its voxengo
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Klauth / So much gear, so little time
7
fooman / Music Computers
3
bdunard / Music Computers
2
Screws / So much gear, so little time
7

Forum Jump
Forum Jump