The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dynaudio Acoustics’ BM5A MkII Studio Monitors
Old 20th March 2010
News Desk Editor

Dynaudio Acoustics’ BM5A MkII

The original BM5a monitor is a Dynaudio Acoustics classic. Now it’s back and it’s louder, more controlled and better than ever…

Dynaudio Acoustics’ BM5A monitors have become legend in monitoring circles, with their accuracy, clarity, and that they can deliver a punch well above their weight. Now Dynaudio Acoustics have taken the original design and made it even better. The result: BM5A MKII nearfield precision monitors with ultra-accurate handcrafted driver technology.

The new BM5A MKII imparts all of the quality and power that you’ve come to expect from Dynaudio Acoustics but they have been re-engineered to take nearfield monitoring to new levels of performance. New features include handmade drivers that offer the best in quality and accuracy. The woofer offers longer excursions so stays linear for longer, resulting in a cleaner, tighter bass response.

This louder and more accurate bass is matched at the top end with a high-resolution soft dome tweeter that delivers an unparalleled response. The added waveguide ensures less acoustical reflections and a more accurate sweet spot for the listener, resulting in a much better monitoring experience.

These drivers are matched perfectly to the BM5A MKII’s custom designed dual amps to deliver maximum 117dB SPL while maintaining sensitivity, resulting in a louder, cleaner and more accurate sound.

The three integrated analog room filters allow for adjustment and compensation of the acoustical monitor placement at both Low, Mid and High frequencies e.g. adjusting for the bass boost at corner or wall placement as well as the potential high frequency console reflections.

With the BM5A MKII Dynaudio Acoustics have taken an established industry standard and made it louder, clearer and more accurate than ever. With Dynaudio Acoustics’ BM5A MKII expect better monitoring across the entire frequency range.

Price: €475 List excl. VAT

Available: Now

Dynaudio Acoustics BM5A MKII main features:
• • Handcrafted aluminium drivers
• • High-resolution soft dome tweeter
• • Smooth and accurate HF waveguide
• • Extended excursion 7-inch woofer
• • 2 channel 90-Watt transient power (50W RMS)
• • 117dB SPL peak power output
• • Frequency response of 48Hz to 21kHz
• • HF, MF, LF analog room filters
Attached Thumbnails
Dynaudio Acoustics’ BM5A MkII-dynaudiobm015245.png.jpeg  
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Head

Hmm, looks very interesting. Really need to check these out ASAP.
Old 21st March 2010
F5D
Lives for gear

I owned a pair of the original BM5A's and they were already quite good. However, I would have liked a little more extended bass. It seems that this mk2 version is using a larger 7" bass and should improve the performance. Also at Dynaudio website it says that the BM5A mk2 uses a new esotec D281 tweeter. Btw, the drivers are not aluminum, but the voice coils are, as always with Dynaudio. Somehow this looks even better than the bm6a mk2. I wonder if they are going to upgrade that one too with the new drivers.
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

Their BM6amkII is a bit weird i think. For all ive heard, people seem to say the original BM6a's are better although more expensive. Hopefully the BM5amkII are clearly better than the originals or it seems like a waste of time.
Old 21st March 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
Their BM6amkII is a bit weird i think. For all ive heard, people seem to say the original BM6a's are better although more expensive. Hopefully the BM5amkII are clearly better than the originals or it seems like a waste of time.
Yeah, BM6A sound very different and I'd say make much better monitors. There's a real reason for the higher price. It seems to me that BM5A MkII is a very different story, though. May actually be better than the BM5A while offering much higher power. That would be great.
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

I use BM5A's as my main nearfields and I'm quite happy with them. I'd love to compare them to the MKII.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

You think the street price will be around $500?
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy View Post
Yeah, BM6A sound very different and I'd say make much better monitors. There's a real reason for the higher price. It seems to me that BM5A MkII is a very different story, though. May actually be better than the BM5A while offering much higher power. That would be great.
+1 I've been using BM6A's for about 4 years now. I've tried to replace them with the newer version, as well as with the BM5A, and neither can hold up sonically to the original BM6A in my opinion. Yes, they might be a little louder, but that does not make them better monitors.

I will certainly give these new BM5AmkII's a listen, but I must admit they've got big shoes to fill in my book.
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
Hopefully they're not as good so my bm5a's will be vintage, and go up in price
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

I made a quick search on google and it doesn't seem to be selling aready ...
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGI ENT View Post
Hopefully they're not as good so my bm5a's will be vintage, and go up in price
Yeah let's hope so heh
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Interesting looking new waveguide around the tweeter on that one, wonder if that will carry through to the other models in time.

I'm still a BM6A MK I user here. One thing that surprised the hell out of me was just how much they've gone up in price!.

I dont know if thats because they're not making anymore of the MK I models, or because of changes in EU law banning certain chemicals from being used in components means sourcing more expensive alternatives, but back in 2006 I bought my 6A MK I's and to buy them today costs about £500 more than they cost back then!. (In fact they now cost more than what the BM15A's cost in 2006).
Old 23rd March 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun View Post
Interesting looking new waveguide around the tweeter on that one, wonder if that will carry through to the other models in time.

I'm still a BM6A MK I user here. One thing that surprised the hell out of me was just how much they've gone up in price!.

I dont know if thats because they're not making anymore of the MK I models, or because of changes in EU law banning certain chemicals from being used in components means sourcing more expensive alternatives, but back in 2006 I bought my 6A MK I's and to buy them today costs about £500 more than they cost back then!. (In fact they now cost more than what the BM15A's cost in 2006).
Wow, I had no idea. That sucks, I just recently thought about getting another pair some time.
Old 23rd March 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun View Post

Exchange rate? In 2006 we were still at 1.5 Euro to the pound.
Old 9th May 2010
Here for the gear

So... what is your advice? BM5A MKII or BM6A MKII?
Old 3rd June 2010
Lives for gear

Music123 has them instock for $500
Old 27th June 2010
Lives for gear

So is there any news on the subject bm5a vs. bm5a MKII???

Ive searched the forum but there seems to be little info, no comparisons from users!

I have decided to get BM5a's, but heard about the new MKII and now am wondering if i should ask my shop to order these. This would mean i would have to wait a while... Ive already been without monitors for a while now (had a faulty pair).

Id be very eager to hear some reviews here!
Old 27th June 2010
Gear Addict

Ditto. Bring on some feedback!
Old 27th June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixoblivion View Post
I have decided to get BM5a's, but heard about the new MKII and now am wondering if i should ask my shop to order these. This would mean i would have to wait a while... Ive already been without monitors for a while now (had a faulty pair).
Or you could buy my pair of BM6AmkII for the same price...
Old 27th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
Or you could buy my pair of BM6AmkII for the same price...
well first of all because im in austria/europe and shipping would kill me and second of all because i've heard not so good reviews of the bm6a mkII...
Old 28th June 2010
Gear Head

I've been a Dyn fan for years. I had a pair of passive BM15s that I ran with an old Hafler amp that I loved to bits. That being said, I hope they do a better job wit the BM5A Mk II than they did with the BM6A Mk II.
Old 28th June 2010
Lives for gear

Im sure theres quite a few that have tried the BM5a MK2 already. pleas tell us how they compare!
Old 29th June 2010
Here for the gear

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixoblivion View Post
Im sure theres quite a few that have tried the BM5a MK2 already. pleas tell us how they compare!
Yes, please.

However, one thing that I just noticed: The woofer to tweeter crossover on the BM 5A MKII is only a first-order slope (6 db/octave). Isn't that pretty weak? I'd think there would be a fair amount of overlap there. Yes, the original BM 5A had this too, and the BM 6A MKII as well... But I noticed the original BM 6A has a fourth-order crossover (24 dB/octave), which is massive by comparison.

In my opinion, a second-order crossover (12 dB/octave) should be the bare minimum in something like this.

Considering the company's move away from MOSFET amps, etc., it really makes me wonder if all these newer Dynaudios are all cheapened down in general?

I'll admit that I don't have much personal experience with Dynaudios, except that I absolutely dislike the sound of original BM 5A. Just some observations.
Old 29th June 2010
Gear Head

BM5As are awesome!thumbsup
Old 22nd August 2010
Gear Head

Question

sweetwater says the frequency range goes from 45Hz to 21kHz
Old 23rd August 2010
Lives for gear

IME, Sweetwater's copy is very unreliable.

I like the company, and have gotten great service from them over the years--hell, they're one of the very few companies who ship to where I live--but their equipment description copy is often inaccurate.
Old 2nd September 2010
Gear Head

ok I ordered the new BM5A's now and they sound fine to me. Just like the old ones maybe a little bit clearer and more detail in the highs? But overall they didn't changed much so I really like them!
Old 2nd September 2010
Lives for gear

for anyone interested I went to the friendly banjo mart for some HP and low and behold ...there were some BM5a sitting hap haphazardly in the clearance section for ..gulp....$269 each!!..needless to say I had a friend scoop them up.I checkd GC on line cleareance and it looks like they are selling their floor models...IMO great deal!!..

BP
Old 6th September 2010
Lives for gear

It seems very few people here have jumped on these BM5A mkII's compaired to the Adam threads for the Ax Line..the A7ax specifically.Or if they do have the MK-II's,they havent commented about it.

Is there a point of having a BM5A mkII when there is a BM6A mkII in the line up for not much more money?Seems like the same design with more power headroom etc.When I first heard the 1st gen BM6A I was really impressed.The BM5A's are not even close and I doubt the 6'a MKII have that certain charm that the MK1 had.Mabie taking the mosfet amp out had something to do with RHOS compliant....who knows.It changed the sound in a big way.

Is anyone else liking the new improved BM5A MKII?
Old 11th September 2010
Lives for gear

bumpity bump bump

is there more than one gearslut who's using the new bm5a mkII?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search