The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audient - Dual Layer Technology Control Surfaces
Old 30th March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstroyallmnstrs View Post
Agreed. I think it's a major mistake because it's seems to be more of a kludge than a really functional thing. They could put strips in the space above the meters. That would make this by far the best control surface out there under 8k from what I've seen. I tend to think that this should have more functionality than the competitor from Alesis. (as a control surface - obviously the other features blow the Alesis away).
+1 Here - Should be 8 scribble strips above the channels. Are there 8 pan knobs on this?
Old 30th March 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aperus View Post
+1 Here - Should be 8 scribble strips above the channels.
I have to plus 1 this too. It would be a HUGE pity if they cannot instigate this before it comes onto the market. It could make the difference between a success and a flop for the product. For me it would probably be a deciding factor if I were considering purchasing this (which is a serious possibility BTW)

The screen in the master section is better than nothing, but it would be vastly superior to have dedicated screens for the channels, and keep the master one for other duties.

matt
Old 31st March 2010
Thumbs up Audient ASP 8202 - Analog mixer & DAW controller

Title should be ASP 2802. I was too excited, and probably daydreaming about the 8204 when I posted.

Interested on this product as I am shopping for an analog mixer, the DAW control is bonus.

The 2010 Musikmesse show in Frankfurt saw the launch of a brand-new compact console from Audient: the ASP2802. A hybrid mixer/control surface, the 2802 features eight analogue channel strips, each with a mic preamp, two aux sends, a cue send, a line input and a DAW return, as well as Cut and Solo buttons.

The channels also feature balanced insert points, and motorised faders for analogue level automation — but perhaps the console's biggest draw is the inclusion of what Audient are calling 'Dual-Layer Technology'. This allows the eight faders to be switched over to control your DAW using the Mackie HUI protocol, which, on the ASP2802, looks very well implemented: the comprehensive transport section includes a jog wheel for shuttling or scrubbing through your projects, and there are four endless rotary encoders, allowing hands-on adjustment of plug-in parameters. The motorised faders can be switched in banks to allow control of up to 128 channels in your DAW, and they are all touch-sensitive, so you can select a channel in your sequencer simply by touching the relevant fader cap.

More about Audient ASP8202 on SOS

Last edited by SoundWeavers; 31st March 2010 at 04:34 AM.. Reason: title should be ASP 2802. I was daydreaming about the 8204.
Old 31st March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by npr View Post
Ethernet is control only - all audio I/O is analogue. We figured it was best to let people make their own choice of converters.
great decision IMHO.
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
the AWS900 se plus goes for 22k+ euro used...
it's more like 40-50k used at least when I was checking it out. where did you see one for 22k ?
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheuzrecords View Post
it's more like 40-50k used at least when I was checking it out. where did you see one for 22k ?
in europe
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Head

Quick question - Will you openly document the communication protocol you use (over ethernet)? Go on, free the world from the shackles of HUI..
Old 4th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
in europe
Slovakia is in europe this thread is about the new audient and not SSL.
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlenemo View Post
It looks great and I love Audient products, I was almost ready to buy a Zen, but it's above my budget... If this thing is not too expensive I will most certainly buy it, I'm just concerned of the only 8 channels record... For me, it's not enough to mic an entire drumkit.
Completely agree, except for tracking do you really need to have everything within the console/controller thing?

I usually use rack outboard for Kick, snare and overheads.
Can't see any reason to change that.
Old 4th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
Completely agree, except for tracking do you really need to have everything within the console/controller thing?

I usually use rack outboard for Kick, snare and overheads.
Can't see any reason to change that.
Yes I still could use outboard preamps directly into my converters/interface, but I don't like the idea of having only part of my channels going through the console, it's a mess in terms of workflow and cue mixes... I also don't want to have to repatch my outboard pres when I want to use them but need less than 8 channels, etc. The Zen is a better fit for my daily use but I thought the controller part was a bit less practical than my euphonix controllers, and now this new product comes but is not quite exactly what I need... Geez I guess I will never be satisfied
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

still not there.....

This product is as close as it has come as far as my needs but is lacking some key features:

1. Scribble strips on the channels
2. Main outs, Alternate outs and Sub out
3. Big enough to be impressive but not being expandable is bad bad bad
4. No assignable encoders over channel for DAW panning,sends,etc
5. Main LCD section with top and bottom row should have had two banks of encoders for plug ins (at leat 8). One on top of display and one on bottom.

Outside of these things the board will find a home in many project studios but I will continue looking.
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

Excellent product. I'm very interested. Would be nice to see a cheaper option with no mic pre's like the Zen offers.
Old 8th May 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidperetz View Post
Fantastic!!!

Price?
certainly much less, the 3200 Tascam
Old 10th May 2010
Lives for gear

After much research I'm getting closer to possibly placing an order deposit on this, as it ticks all the boxes for me. Could do with some dimensions though, especially the height at the back.
Old 15th June 2010
Lives for gear

what's the eta on this thing? how is the audient buss compressor? I haven't heard too many kind words for the audient buss compressors but never used one personally.
Old 25th June 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by npr View Post
Here you go.......
npr... I see a MAJOR problem on your back panel here. No FUSE is fitted! Honestly, what are you guys on over there? This desk cannot POSSIBLY fit my workflow without a fuse. I guess I'm going to have to get the BCF2000 Beringer after all. It just suits my workflow better. Let me know when you remember to fit the fuse. Geez.

Old 26th June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimeon View Post
npr... I see a MAJOR problem on your back panel here. No FUSE is fitted! Honestly, what are you guys on over there? This desk cannot POSSIBLY fit my workflow without a fuse. I guess I'm going to have to get the BCF2000 Beringer after all. It just suits my workflow better. Let me know when you remember to fit the fuse. Geez.

It's optional. Nail, fuse, whatever...
Old 22nd August 2010
Anybody had some hands on use with this?
Old 26th August 2010
Here for the gear

Hi all,

Just thought I'd give this thread a little bump as we now have the official images of the console on the ASP2802 product page. I saw a few posts requesting high resolution images, so hopefully these will be helpful! It includes top panel and rear shots, plus a few close ups. There are also analogue specifications and dimensions.

We should be better placed to field any questions about the finer details of the console now, so please fire away and I'll do my best to provide some answers.

We're due to start shipping very soon, so hopefully you'll be able to get your hands on the ASP2802 (and the Dual Layer Technology) in the near future!
Old 26th August 2010
I don't know if this was discussed, but is the ethernet control Mac only? I see only support for programs that are available on Mac. No Sonar, no Samplitude etc.
Old 27th August 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
I don't know if this was discussed, but is the ethernet control Mac only? I see only support for programs that are available on Mac. No Sonar, no Samplitude etc.
The ASP2802 console is currently compatible with Logic, Pro Tools, Cubase and Nuendo. Logic is the only program unique to Mac, so there will be a Windows driver available for the others. I hope that helps!
Old 24th September 2010
Deleted User
aargh

Bumps bumps. Any more interest in this? This board seems to tick the most boxes for me more than anything else out there with a better marriage of analog and DAW control. Does $5300 US seem steep to anyone else for an eight-channel board?!? A&H's upcoming GSR24 looks real sexy but much too big and expensive.
Old 26th September 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonbuys View Post

Downside... I don't see any LCD scribble strips... That's a bit of a letdown... Four banks over and 3 tracks down in a 72 or 96 track project? Now where's that Rhythm Guitar fill?....

Will probably team it up with my Euphonix MC Control, then. Dang, hoped to kill 2 flies with one blow.

Say with me, all together now: LCD scribble strips! LCD scribble strips! We want LCD scribble strips!

C'mon, look at the cheap stuff Novation knocks out... How hard could it be?

Anton
+ 1
Old 1st December 2010
Here for the gear

Hi all! Now that the Audient ASP2802 is out there we've come up with some short guides to the console - in much the same way as Steve Flower did when the Zen was released last year.

I hope this provides a bit more detail about the console, but please feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer!

So here's the first part of the walkthrough, beginning with:

Metering and Channel I/O

Each channel has a 10 segment LED meter, which can be switched between channel input, output and DAW (HUI Metering).

The channel is fed by 3 possible inputs - Mic, Line or DAW Return. There are also balanced inserts and a direct output for each strip.

The console employs the same microphone preamplifiers as other Audient products such as ASP8024 and ASP008. These provide a gain range of 6-60 dB with a high pass filter, polarity inversion and individually switched phantom powering. The line switch reverts to the standard Line input rather than Mic.

The direct output allows you to pick up the signal from four different points in the path:
- Post fader
- Pre fader
- Pre insert
- Channel (selects Line/Mic input for tracking use)

The DAW switch routes the DAW input through the rest of the channel. Otherwise, the Line/Mic path is used. There is a trim control of ±15 dB.

The insert button switches the insert input into the signal path, as you’d expect!

www.audient.com/asp2802
Attached Thumbnails
Audient - Dual Layer Technology-2802-meter-io.jpg  
Old 2nd December 2010
Gear Addict

I will get mine next week (if all works out) and will report back! The concept of the console and routing possibilities are really clever and really well thought out judging from the manual. Audient definitely did their homework and their service is excellent to say the least! I am so eager how it sounds and feels!
Old 6th December 2010
Here for the gear

Cue and Auxes

There is a very flexible stereo cue on the ASP2802. This could, for example, be used for headphone mixes during tracking. This can be switched pre or post fader. There is also a switch to select the alternative input in to the CUE section.

The Alternative input is the Source that is not currently routed through the channel fader. For example, if you use the Channel (Mic or Line) input through the fader, the DAW return input will be the alternate input brought into the CUE section. The CUE bus can then be routed in to the main mix bus for a further 8 channels at mix down with Level and Pan.

Following this are two mono auxes with variable gain. These are globally configured pre or post fader.

www.audient.com/asp2802

Attached Thumbnails
Audient - Dual Layer Technology-2802-cues-auxes.jpg  
Old 7th December 2010
Here for the gear

Pan, Fader and Automation
The channel pan control sits below the cues and auxes. This section also contains the mix button to switch the channel into the main mix bus.

The three buttons below (SELect, CUT and SOLO) control the channel’s automation, and also make up an important part of the control surface functionality. (We’ll put a video up for that later.)

We have kept all four solo modes from Zen – AFL, PFL, SIP and SIF. For more details on these check out the manual. www.audient.com/asp2802

Last but certainly not least are the motorised ‘Alps’ faders at the bottom of each strip. These do not attenuate the audio directly, which allows us to provide the analogue automation and control surface functionality without one affecting the other.
Attached Thumbnails
Audient - Dual Layer Technology-2802-pan-fader-automation.jpg  
Old 8th December 2010
Here for the gear

Metering, Cue Source and Returns
There is a 19 segment LED meter for the main stereo output, and a gain reduction meter for the bus compressor just below it.

There is a section for the summing input and two FX returns. Here you can alter the gain, pan and routing – as well as selecting between stereo/mono mode for each one.

The Summing input allows you to feed in 4 stereo stems, or 8 Mono channels into a D-Sub connector on the back of the console, allowing you to make the most of the consoles analogue summing bus.

Below this are a series of buttons allowing you to switch different elements into the Cue/Foldback mix – such as the DAW mix, Control Room mix, both Auxes and of course the Cue bus. If more than one is selected, the inputs will be summed together.

www.audient.com/asp2802
Attached Thumbnails
Audient - Dual Layer Technology-2802-meter-cue-fx.jpg  
Old 10th December 2010
Here for the gear

Monitor, Solo and Aux Controls
Here you can select whether the channel meters display the input or output.

There are a number of monitor sources available, which are switched in by flicking the Mix/SRC select button below.

There is a 3.5mm jack input that can be sent to the monitors here, which has its own dedicated gain control.

The ALTernative Speaker button allows you to switch in and set the relative level for a secondary set of loudspeakers, most likely for comparison.

The main volume control is self explanatory, and also has the usual dim and cut buttons below it.

Alongside this is a headphone level knob, which has a separate on/off switch and a button to route the Cue/FB source into it. Handy if tracking in the control room.

To the left you can choose the dim level, switch the phase and put the monitoring into mono mode – these are great tools for finding phase problems. You are also able to cut the left and right parts of the monitoring signal individually.

The global controls for the auxes allow level alteration and pre/post selection.

www.audient.com/asp2802
Attached Thumbnails
Audient - Dual Layer Technology-2802-monitor-solo.jpg  
Old 13th December 2010
Here for the gear

Bus Compressor and Mix Assign

The stereo VCA bus compressor is a key feature of Audient desks, and is the same design as found on the ASP8024 and Zen consoles.

There are the usual compressor controls plus a dedicated dry/wet knob for parallel compression!

Selecting the EXTernal button allows you to use the compressor as if it were a separate unit. The inputs and outputs become available on the back of the console allowing it to be patched across any channels on the console.

To the left of this are the buttons to switch the Cue, DAW Mix and Inserts into the main stereo mix. There is also the option to sum the inserts send signal to the insert return allowing for more parallel compression.

The last knob in this section controls the Talkback level, and is switched in by pressing the non-latching button below it, as you’d expect!

www.audient.com/asp2802
Attached Thumbnails
Audient - Dual Layer Technology-2802-compressor-talkback.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search