The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audient - Dual Layer Technology Control Surfaces
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

If there are side cars, extenders ....as in if this thing is modular. Please tell me they thought of that...
Each time a manufacturer comes out with a new desk - I think "this is it ". Sadly, almost all are near misses. What I and many other posters are clammering for is a large format 24 strip console like the C24 for ProTools without spending your retirement savings to get it. Protools has had this for years, us Logic folk have the Matrix (18K Euros) etc. No 24 strip format ? Now if you can add 8ch extenders to this - it inches closer to that game changer. If not, I am yawning. I'm sure this is a fine, fine product for some. However if you want large format with slimmed down feature set .....I guess we wait.

BTW - I love the Euphonix Artist Series - I own and use it - but it's not a console. Someone (A&H, the long anticpated Merlin, Euphonix themsleves), somebody give us that large format daw centric desk and sell a million of them. I be first in lie to buy one, and appluding on the sidelines as everyone else does same ...

cdlt

Last edited by Melgueil; 21st March 2010 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: Add content without new post
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

i know, i was really hoping for more channels, but i don't think it's going to happen...

that was the only thing missing from the zen, more than 16 channels is necessary!!!

one needs at least 24, hopefully there is a 32 option.....

also, it's like a "fails to climax" moment when people come into your studio and see an 8 fader board the size of a piece of rack gear as the studios center piece.

i'm really not trying to slag on this new product, but just explaining what the board "I wwwilllll bbbuuyyy" must have on it.

IF ANYONE IS GOING TO DO IT, IT WILL BE AUDIENT!!!!! BUT WHY DON'T THEY JUST MAKE A ZEN WITH DUAL-LAYER STUFF AND 32 CHANNELS???????? WHY GOSH DARNIT??????? WWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY??????????
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

I think I agree with the last 2 posts.

I'd love to see an ASP8024 with a DAW layer and DAW transport control.

So...

kinda like an SSL AWS 900 but not costing $80,000.

or something like a 24 channel Matrix with high quality built in EQs for tracking...that doesn't cost $80,000.

I agree that there seem to be quite a few new mixer solutions but all of them seem to be missing some features for me. The latest ones seem to assume you have 16-24 channels of good-high end eqs (I don't have) or that you will be using a DAW to eq (maybe for mixing but not when tracking).

I'd love to be able to track a session of drums/guitar/keys/bass/scratch vocal and eq and even insert compressors/whatever all going into a mixer (remember those days) all the while having control of my DAW right from the mixer (not having some other controller like a Euphonix Artist Series or Mackie Control Universal to control my DAW). I know, I know, get an AWS 900...maybe if I sold both of my kidneys...
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

I'm flabbergasted at the response for this (what im beginning to think will be a gem) product.

32 channels?? there are products that meet that requirement (unfortunately you have to shell out the coins) and who knows maybe there will be expander units for this. But that isnt the group of people i believe Audient are going after with the ASP2802. I think this product is for the small-mid size project studio looking for a better option than the Euphonix and Mackie offerings ( things like on board mic amps etc).

With this... a mobile rig can now shed some weight but add hands-on control of their set-ups. Instead of an interface and outboard amps and a controller. Just need the interface (ad/da + computer data tranfer protocol) and this ASP2802.

In the studio... add this and possibly expander units and you get all the goodies this brings to the table (more features than MCU or Artist series).

I like the layout alot... alot better IMHO than the Euphonix and Mackie. Its also Audient, so the quality is there. (Im willing to bet this will last longer than the mackies and be damn close if not better than Euphonix in this department).

Eagerly awaiting more info

*expander units?
*weight?
*what does fully featured master section entail?
*how is the summing done? passively actively?
*price?
*XLRs? TRS? d-sub?
*inserts on master bus?
*what is the protocol for the ethernet control? something Audient brewed themselves or licensed from third-party? ala Euphonix?
yada yada.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

I can't imagine them not having expanders on the way. Not too many want just 8 channels...
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks View Post
I can't imagine them not having expanders on the way. Not too many want just 8 channels...
me too!!!!!

but i strongly feel that it ain't gonna happen...

they now have three price points 1) this new 8 channel dual layer, 2) the 16 channel zen, and 3) the 24-60 channel ASP board....

each at a different price range..........

i however, feel that the ZEN should have more channels...

or this new thing should be expandable....

but what's keepin audient from telling customers just to get the zen or ASP if you need more channels....

all in all... the recording world would praise the designer of a 24 + channel board with automation (dual layers of frosting) for under $20 - 25 K

seeing the price of the ZEN, its more than a reasonable request.
Old 22nd March 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
Are the displays on the channel strips, or do you mean the ones in master section?

matt
The 4 master displays have an upper and lower section - displaying either all 8 DAW channel designations or relevant plug-in edit data.
Old 22nd March 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
Since it only supports four DAWs to start with (which is everything I need) I was wondering if you are using your own control protocol, as I would've thought Mackie and Hui automatically cover a lot more DAWs

matt
At launch we will officially support the Daws listed but the majority of functionally should work with any HUI platform.
Old 22nd March 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISCERN View Post
Looking good.

Any chance we can get an image of the back of the desk? Connections, etc.
Here you go.......
Attached Thumbnails
Audient - Dual Layer Technology-asp2802-rear.jpg  
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Ouch!! no mention about expanders...
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:

great minds think alike
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Will you have to use a asio driver and thus have to run it as your main audio device? Or can it be secondary?
It's an analog mixer, so it's not an "audio device"...computer connection is for control only.
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
yep, that solidifies the fact that it ain't gonna happen!!!!

i love what Audient does, very innovative company!!!!!

but when are they going to make a more than 16 channel analog dual layer biatch!!!!!!!

i know they will some day, so why are they delaying it???????

here's the best'ist advice i can give: take the Zen, make it flat instead of V shaped, and make it 32 channels for $20k..
and a 24 channel base model for $16k...

since the 16 channel base model is only $11k, this seems reasonable...

the technology and R&D is already completed, all the need to do is expand.
Old 23rd March 2010
Gear Nut

Depending on price this could be great. However without lcd scribble strips it is not an instant buy.

Please Audient give us the strips. No strips and you will have the lack of success of the us2400 and fw-1884. Both we and you deserve better.
Old 23rd March 2010
Gear Guru

So this is a very basic 8 channels desk without eq, with 2 sends/returns, without any real groups and with 20 'summing box' style raw line inputs that don't have inserts thrown in? Oh, and a DAW control, of course.

I'm not sure I can get as excited as all that about it. One of the main interests to me when splitting DAW outs over analogue mix inputs would be to be able to eq separate tracks with analog eq and then group into analog compressors....no can do here....kind of feels like a HUI with 8 mic pre's and a comp and a load of inputs that don't do anything of interest to me.....sorry......bet it sounds nice, but a weird mix to me.
Old 23rd March 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstroyallmnstrs View Post
Depending on price this could be great. However without lcd scribble strips it is not an instant buy.

Please Audient give us the strips. No strips and you will have the lack of success of the us2400 and fw-1884. Both we and you deserve better.
Don't worry! Scribble strip DAW channel info is one of the options that can be selected on the 4 dual area displays in the master section. Plug-in edit data can also be selected.
Old 23rd March 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by organik View Post
great minds think alike
Expanders are always a tricky area in terms of delivering value for money - too much duplicated infra-structure cost.

We do our best to spec new products with the most appropriate blend of channel count/facilities that we can. Of course, we won't get it right for 100% of potential users with a single product - but we do have others ASP8024, ACS8024, Zen ..........
Old 23rd March 2010
Gear Addict

booooooo

def a bummer looks like a great product. Problem is a lot of people cant afford to buy a full fledged console. so expanders let people kinda expand and buy as they can afford. this would of killed if it was expandable. its would have been great. it would beat out all the euphonix and mackie controls in a heartbeat.
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by organik View Post
def a bummer looks like a great product. Problem is a lot of people cant afford to buy a full fledged console. so expanders let people kinda expand and buy as they can afford. this would of killed if it was expandable. its would have been great. it would beat out all the euphonix and mackie controls in a heartbeat.
amazing first sentence.

- c
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
So this is a very basic 8 channels desk without eq, with 2 sends/returns, without any real groups and with 20 'summing box' style raw line inputs that don't have inserts thrown in? Oh, and a DAW control, of course.

I'm not sure I can get as excited as all that about it. One of the main interests to me when splitting DAW outs over analogue mix inputs would be to be able to eq separate tracks with analog eq and then group into analog compressors....no can do here....kind of feels like a HUI with 8 mic pre's and a comp and a load of inputs that don't do anything of interest to me.....sorry......bet it sounds nice, but a weird mix to me.
I couldn't have said it better...

I'll tell you my dream:
- 8 module expandable mixing console (choose from 8, 16, 24 or 36 channels, think big start small)
- 3 input / channel (Mic, Line, DAW)
- EQ (yes with filters) on each channel (switchable between the Mic, Line and DAW inputs. You could actually do them with api500 format modules, like in the API1608).
- movable insert point on each channel (pre or post eq)
- 4 sends per channel
- At least four stereo groups
- Insert at the Mix Bus.
- 2 Monitor outputs
- Motorised fader automation
- DAW fader control and automation
- Plug-in control (actually not needed if this works -> midipad_welcome)
- DAW control selectable by sections (meaning that in a 24 channel console you could control 12 DAW tracks and in the remaining 12 the console faders).

SO... it would be something between a ASP8024 and a ZEN and modular... or a modular SSL Matrix but with EQs... (unfortunately the X-Rack Eqs have no pass filters)

As for the complexity of the thing... I'm not an expert but I think the most difficult has already been done... I think the only thing left would be to develop a Master section ready to cope with the channels being added at later stages and how they are connected to the sub-groups, sends in/outs and the summing mix bus.
But this means that the Master section (and the transformer) would be "over sized/powered" for the 8 channel version and meaning that the introduction price would be much higher, but it would serve the needs of many. From project to pro, from studio to remote, it would have something for everyone.
Old 26th March 2010
Gear Maniac

News - Musikmesse 2010: Audient ASP 2802 (Video)

Price mentioned in video is GBP3,200, ETA end of May, early June...

Must save money, must save money...heh

Anton
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

The more and more im liking this !

less than 5000 CND list price

DAW control + plugins
8 mic amps
bus compressor
3 inputs per channel (2 simultaneously utilized in mixdown)
28 input in mixdown in total
real master section (analog)
Audient quality
reasonably sized.. still would like to know the weight?
lots of other goodies

now if only i was assured this would work with Metric Halo's MIO console heh id have found all the ingredients to a rig i could live with for years to come.

was thinking

Audient ASP2802
MBPro
MH 2882 +dsp (adding another non-dsp later on)
Focal CMS 40
beyerdynamic DT 770pro
assortment of ribbon and dynamics mics

bobs your uncle!

hehheh
Old 28th March 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonbuys View Post
Price mentioned in video is GBP3,200,

I would suggest spend that amount of money on 8 pre amps and a great bus compressor and your tracks will even sound better.
Old 29th March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUK_E View Post
I would suggest spend that amount of money on 8 pre amps and a great bus compressor and your tracks will even sound better.
Perhaps, but you will miss out on a whole bunch of stuff like DAW control, and master-/monitoring section.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear
Things are definitely moving in the right direction!

Between what Audient and A&H are doing respectively, hybrid setups are really moving into interesting times.

I think the scribble strips should be with the channels, not in the master section - I think that is a bad idea but it's better than no scribble strips at all!

I'm really going to have to see some video footage comparing this ASP 2802 with the R24; at the moment I'm leaning to the R24 as it has a lot more of what I'm looking for, however that is very likely to come at significant extra cost.

The ASP2802 coupled with my Duende PCIe card might be a more cost-effective compromise!
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Looks bigger than I thought...

Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Are there any high res pics of the front? Did I miss them?
Old 30th March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollumsluvslave View Post
I think the scribble strips should be with the channels, not in the master section - I think that is a bad idea but it's better than no scribble strips at all!
Agreed. I think it's a major mistake because it's seems to be more of a kludge than a really functional thing. They could put strips in the space above the meters. That would make this by far the best control surface out there under 8k from what I've seen. I tend to think that this should have more functionality than the competitor from Alesis. (as a control surface - obviously the other features blow the Alesis away).
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Take the ASP8024, add the flying fader feature (zen) .. add the dual layer technoloy for DAW control. 24 ch with patch for 30k and I have a new console. You have everything already done so just mix it into one product

I was checking out every single product and the only thing feature wise suitable for my workflow is the AWS900 but it's out of my budget. The Zen and Matrix are just 16ch and that is not enough for me, when doing drums I have easily 20 tracks alltogether. A 24 channel ASP8024 with automation and DAW control would sell like hot cakes if the pricing is right.
Old 30th March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheuzrecords View Post
Take the ASP8024, add the flying fader feature (zen) .. add the dual layer technoloy for DAW control. 24 ch with patch for 30k and I have a new console. You have everything already done so just mix it into one product

I was checking out every single product and the only thing feature wise suitable for my workflow is the AWS900 but it's out of my budget. The Zen and Matrix are just 16ch and that is not enough for me, when doing drums I have easily 20 tracks alltogether. A 24 channel ASP8024 with automation and DAW control would sell like hot cakes if the pricing is right.
the AWS900 se plus goes for 22k+ euro used...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search