The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slate Pro Audio "DRAGON" Analog Processor
Old 16th February 2010
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Slate Pro Audio "DRAGON" Analog Processor

We are pleased to announce that the DRAGON Dynamic Processor is now shipping worldwide.

The DRAGON is an FET compressor with a supercharged hifi signal path, three character options called "sheen" "bite" and "boom", a "vintage" setting to emulate a more classic sound, a hi pass filter, a mixbuss ready 2:1 option, a classic all buttons in "squash" setting, stereo linking switches, a three stage "saturation" selector for added harmonics and fatness, and a WET/DRY mix knob for parrallel compressing within the unit.

You can check out some audio demos at the new Slate Pro Audio webpage:
SLATE PRO AUDIO WEBPAGE

The Slate Pro Audio DRAGON is a true compressor chameleon that has already found fans in uber producer Jay Baumgarder, mixer Chris Lord Alge, producers Brett Chassen and Bob Kulick, producer Ran Pink, producer Griffon Boice, and more. Check the distributor list at SLATE PRO AUDIO to find a dealer near you to demo the unit.
Old 16th February 2010
Lives for gear

Hey Alex,

The site looks great; I'm excited to check out the audio demos.

A question I had in the old Dragon thread was how slow in microseconds or milliseconds can you set the attack? I can't find this information printed anywhere, and it would be great to know if this can get considerably slower than, say, an 1176, for purposes of using it on the mix bus. Thanks.
Old 16th February 2010

Hi there.. the attack and release specs are the same as the classic FET units, however because of the different signal paths, the DRAGON's attack sounds different and does very well on full mixes.

Attack Time Adjustable, from 20 to 800 microseconds
Release Time Adjustable, from 50 milliseconds to 1.1

The slowest attack time on the DRAGON lets plenty of the transient in. If you get one for demo, try it against a vintage unit on a snare drum to hear what I'm talking about. For full mixes, here are the presets in the manual:

Full Mix Presets:
Easy Mix Compressor:
Ratio: 2:1 Attack: Slowest Release: Fastest Gain Reduction: 1-
2db

Hi-fi Mix Compressor:
Ratio: 2:1 Attack: Slowest Release: Fastest Character: Boom,
Sheen
Gain Reduction: 1-2db

Radio Rock Mix Compressor:
Ratio: 2:1 Attack: Slowest Release: 12 o’clock Character:
Sheen, Boom, Bite Saturation: 1 Gain Reduction: 2db

Transparent Mix Compressor:
Ratio: 2:1 Attack: Slowest Release: 12 o’clock Hi Pass: 100Hz
Gain Reduction: 1db

Glue Mix Compressor:
Ratio: 12:1 Attack: Slowest Release: 12 o’clock Character:
Boom Saturation: 1
Gain Reduction: 1-2db

Parallel Mix Compressor:
Ratio: 8:1 Attack: 3 o’clock Release: 9 o’clock Character: Sheen
Gain Reduction: 10db MIX Knob: 3 o’clock
Old 16th February 2010
Lives for gear

Why is it only available through Vintage King? Do you guys plan on trying to get it into other dealers like your drum samples are?
Old 16th February 2010
Lives for gear

Heads up: All the bass demos apart from the original loops have broken links.

Sounds great on everything else. Amazed at how well it's able to clamp down on drums without insane compression artifacts.
Old 16th February 2010

the bass demos are mysteriously gone from the server, thanks for the heads up ermz. I'll have to reupload them tomorrow.

There will soon be some demos on full mixes, electric guitars, and individual kick and snare too.

For the US, you can contact VINTAGE KING who will provide you with excellent service and support.
Old 16th February 2010
Lives for gear

Also, the "integrate your Slate Pro Audio hardware with your DAW, click here" image isn't a link and doesn't go anywhere.
Old 17th February 2010

Fixing page issues.. glad you guys dig the demos. We are completely sold out of our first production run but the good news is that units are in stock worldwide and production run two is underway!
Old 19th February 2010
Gear addict

impressive audio demos. does Steven Slate have a bunch of clones or does he just not sleep?

Junk
Old 19th February 2010
Gear nut

Steve brought me my pair of Dragons last week and I am in love with these basts! He's got some killer presets in the manual, but I've discovered a totally killer drum buss setting!

-Input: 3
-4:1 Ratio
-SQUASH ON
-Attack @ 9:00
-Release: Dead middle
-Output: 7 (Sweet spot)
-Stereo Link: ON
*Here's the cool part!*
-SHEEN, BITE, & BOOM: ALL ON
-Saturate: 2
-Wet/Dry: ON @ 1:00

I leave my settings glued to this for a solid drum buss (sounds incredible using Slate's drum samples!! I've got a great combination of using 3 of his snares, and 2 of his kicks) I just adjust my input & output by running it as an external plugin via Nuendo / Cubase to really dial in how much I want these to hit.

I could go on for days about how good these compressors sound. I've got a couple of killer vocal presets as well... I'll share details later. These are the coolest compressors I've ever used. They really do everything!

Old 19th February 2010
Gear addict

All the audio examples sound like they're already compressed to oblivion and the drums sound like samples. It would be nice to hear some audio examples of music that wouldn't find it's way onto the board of CLA even though I know he's probably your biggest endorsement.
Old 19th February 2010
Gear maniac

Ahhh.. You sure you heard the originals? Listening on laptop speakers? The original drum loop is very loose to my ears and the many audio demos show how it goes from "just a bit tighter" to "fat and slappy" to "aggressive and bright" and pretty much everything in between.. The vocal was super uncompressed and quite peaky, with the compression examples showing how smooth and tame it could be without taking away the detail in her voice.

Yeah I guess I'm biased but I have nothing to do with the pro audio brand, but I can tell you I would sell every compressor I have before my Dragons. Congratulations to the Slate Pro Audio guys because this thing is a HIT.
Old 19th February 2010
Lives for gear

I want to try it! Just trying to get past the looks of it.
Old 19th February 2010
Gear addict

We've had a pair in the studio for a couple of weeks and just love them!
It sounds like the kind of 1176 ya wanna own!!..
KILLER on drum buss as it bends the highs very nicely, doesn't get the cymbals to "sploshy"" (for lack of a better word).Its so flexible with the boom, sheen and bite settings.Sort of the distressor of the 1176 family as its so flexible.
Tracked kick drum with boom setting engaged.....Killer! (ya gotta try that ).Wonderful to track snare with , gave a great little thwack and the bite setting is great on snare.The sheen setting gave some great air to a vocal on a mix.
Had Billy Sheehan in yesterday to cut some bass trax and it was just great at tracking rock bass (kept all those killer sheehan riffs clamped down but left the transient well in tact.).And thats been the really enjoyable part with it..It can really squash things but in a very musical vibey way and can be slow enough to let the transient through.Everything i've used it on sounds better coming out of it thus far.
I really can;t see anyone not diggin it..You get a ton features and flexibility and it sounds fantastic.
And they look amazing and has a great feel to it.
Top notch piece of gear...We want 2 more
Brett Chassen
Bob Kulick
Old 20th February 2010
Lives for gear

Nice to hear...
Maybe wanna buy this one instat of a mc77
Old 20th February 2010
Gear addict

I have the purple as well.
Have had one for a long time...Dig the dragon more ...and it can do so much more!
You'll get alot more mileage out of the dragon IMO.
Old 20th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdude View Post
I have the purple as well.
Have had one for a long time...Dig the dragon more ...and it can do so much more!
You'll get alot more mileage out of the dragon IMO.
ok nice i am thinking to buy 1 or is it a must to buy 2 i have allready a SSL G, mpressor and a neve compressor, spectrasonics 610.
If i buy the dragon i want to use it on snares and kicks.
Love the mix option!!

Must still check de demosounds i my studio.
Old 20th February 2010
Gear addict

Yeah the mix knob rules so have the built in parallel thing basically.
If you can do 2 ...Get em!!...They also CRUSH as drum buss compressors as you have the mix knob and they really "bend" the high's in a very pleasing way so the cymblas aren;t out of control...(which not alot of comps can do well IMO).
I've probably only scratched the surface of the potential of them.
So yeah...Buy 2!!...We're buying 2 More!!
Old 20th February 2010
Lives for gear

Is a matching pair must or can i buy later a second...
Think its better to buy 2 but don't have the money.

ps nice to hear where you use them on!!
Old 21st February 2010
Gear addict

Slate and crew run a tight ship so i'm sure they're very consistent.
Old 21st February 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwel View Post
Is a matching pair must or can i buy later a second...
Think its better to buy 2 but don't have the money.

ps nice to hear where you use them on!!
I got 2 from the first batch (they weren't setup as a matched pair) and they were dead on! However, I do know that slate is selling matched pairs, and I think they just spend that much extra time making sure they're perfect. The quality control with these units are great. I sent the guys at Slate a few audio samples with the Dragons on my drum buss... maybe they'll post them? If not, I'll set up a link with a few samples of my favorite things. I've been using the Dragons on bass and vocals all week and found a new love for them... I need another pair!
Old 21st February 2010
Gear addict

[. I've been using the Dragons on bass and vocals all week and found a new love for them... I need another pair![/QUOTE]

YUP!
Old 21st February 2010
Lives for gear

ok thanx for the replys
Old 23rd February 2010
Gear Maniac

[QUOTE=Marty Long;5123930]Ahhh.. You sure you heard the originals? Listening on laptop speakers? The original drum loop is very loose to my ears QUOTE]
er...what? no it certainly isn't "very loose" I think you might be a little too used to listening to over compressed gridded drums lol! .
I'm not taking anything away from the audio samples posted, they sound fantastic ( I absolutely flipped over the saturated vocal sample)
but I agree with the original poster, would have been nice to hear something a little more "real" to start with.
I wish the drums I usually get to mix sounded already like the original drum loop , would make my life a lot easier ;-)
Old 23rd February 2010

the individual drums have compression on them, but I agree the loop sounds loose, which is amplified by how tight and glued the loops become when processed with the various DRAGON presets! We have to fix the bass links because the DRAGON is simply awesome on bass with the "boom" setting.

We've had an overwhelmingly positive response and appreciate the great reviews! thumbsup
Old 23rd February 2010
Gear addict

the DRAGON is simply awesome on bass with the "boom" setting.

You ain';t kiddin!!!
Old 23rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Get a test unit next week
Old 24th February 2010
Lives for gear

+1 on some natural drum loops. Without the 50% drum samples mixed in.

(Sounds like the SSD drum machine to me.)

Bass links still not working.

Vocals sounds good though.
Old 24th February 2010

we'll have a lot more demos coming soon from some top end users. We'll also have some 100% natural drums Steven recorded..

Bass samples and more male vocals coming as well.. Please check our distributor page for find a dealer close by to demo a unit.
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

Will these only be available through Vintage King?
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search