The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ArtsAcoustic | CL Series
Old 30th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermz View Post
And the FET is of course also such a lovely model of the LA-2 and 3 compressors.
thought the FET was a model of the 1176?
Old 31st December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I have Waves CLA and both Softube comps. IMHO Waves CLA are better and more versatile comps. I use them more than 80% of time compared to Softube's comps. CLA-76 is IMHO exact and the best 1176 emulation, while FET is not so great emulation of comp side of the 6176. CLA-2A is great, smooth and you can make it sound great in a few seconds. CL-1B is more of a tweaker and shines on less sources than CLA-2A. CLA-2A works on 80% of vocals I record, while Softube CL-1B only 30% maybe. And then you also have CLA-3A which is great if you want to preserve transparency.

CLA comps can have great snap and grab. To me they are some of the best soft comps. I really love Waves API2500 and H-comp also. And I am in no way affiliated to Waves, but IMHO they make best SW comps I have tried despite all the Waves bashing on GS forum.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkaos View Post
Right, the FET Compressor is modelled after the 1176 !

It's NOT an LA-2A nor 3A emulation at all.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
I have Waves CLA and both Softube comps. IMHO Waves CLA are better and more versatile comps. I use them more than 80% of time compared to Softube's comps. CLA-76 is IMHO exact and the best 1176 emulation, while FET is not so great emulation of comp side of the 6176. CLA-2A is great, smooth and you can make it sound great in a few seconds. CL-1B is more of a tweaker and shines on less sources than CLA-2A. CLA-2A works on 80% of vocals I record, while Softube CL-1B only 30% maybe. And then you also have CLA-3A which is great if you want to preserve transparency.

CLA comps can have great snap and grab. To me they are some of the best soft comps. I really love Waves API2500 and H-comp also. And I am in no way affiliated to Waves, but IMHO they make best SW comps I have tried despite all the Waves bashing on GS forum.
I don't agree about the Softube FET and CL 1B.

They both are great pieces of virtual gear, and sound as good (at least) as the Waves CLA to me. And I say that as I own the CLA bundle as well as the Softube's compressors.

They sound DIFFERENT, but both Softube and Waves compressors are great sounding plugins, just different. They all have their uses of course, like you said.
Lives for gear

I didn't say Softube's comps aren't great. They definitely are, especially Tubetech. But it is more specific. If I had to make a decision between both Softubes or Waves CLA, I'd choose CLA in a heartbeat.

But I agree, there's no best comp. There are different comps for different puposes. I still use RComp and RVox very often. RVox many times works like nothing else with vocals. It all depends what sound you're after in a certain song, certain moment. But with CLA package you can satisfy most of compression needs, more so than with Softube combo, at least IMHO.
OMU
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
I didn't say Softube's comps aren't great. They definitely are, especially Tubetech. But it is more specific. If I had to make a decision between both Softubes or Waves CLA, I'd choose CLA in a heartbea
The opposite happened here thumbsup
Lives for gear

Hehe, different people, different taste.

That's what makes life interesting in general heh.

I own CLA and JJP as well as Studio Classics, and for sure with only these, you can make all your mixes shine. A great bundle of plugins there.

If we consider that Waves are coming up with a bundle of Helios equalizer and PYE compressor, the wave of modelled plugins is getting better again !

I say that as on their website, about the NAMM show in january, there is this little quote : "Eddie Kramer - HLS Channel / PIE Compressor"...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkaos View Post
Sarcasm.
Lives for gear

Sorry this continues to be off topic, but for those of you talking about Softube FET vs. Waves CLA, check out this shootout between the two:

1176 Plug-in Shootout: Waves CLA-76 vs Softube FET Compressor
bee
Lives for gear

Has anyone compared it to the Mpressor?
Old 11th January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Any word on this?

I'm going to demo this plug tomorrow just curious what folks think of it.
Lives for gear

All I will say again, is that it's a lovely sounding piece of virtual gear, no less.

Try it, I'm sure you'll like it, and with the M/S features, it's even better for treating groups of full mixes.
Lives for gear

I was traveling over the holidays and missed this one. It kinda fell off the radar quick. Still on the road and can't demo for 3 more weeks or so. How does it compare with Waves CLA comps? This thread talks more about CLA vs Softube than comparing them to this new plug.
Gear Nut

Thanks

Yea I was reading this thread and had to scroll up to the top to make sure I was still in the Artacoustic thread.

I'm still looking for a plugin compressor that to love.
Old 22nd January 2010 | Show parent
bee
Lives for gear

Any more feedback on this comp?
Old 22nd January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Wake me up when the OS X version is out.
Old 29th April 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
Wake me up when the OS X version is out.
hey, wake up ...they`re released for osx now ... heh
Old 3rd October 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

I’m testing the CLMS-1XL compressor for a little while now and i love it. Loads of options so u can tune it for whatever material you want to compress. The sound comes very close to analogue and u can even give it more character using the input gain (tube circuit modelling).

Definitely worth trying out!
Old 3rd October 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PD Hogeterp View Post
I’m testing the CLMS-1XL compressor for a little while now and i love it. Loads of options so u can tune it for whatever material you want to compress. The sound comes very close to analogue and u can even give it more character using the input gain (tube circuit modelling).

Definitely worth trying out!

Old 3rd November 2011 | Show parent
DSK
Lives for gear

This needs a serious bump.

One of the best comprssor bundle I've ever used.

It's expensive but it consist of 3 similar in taste yet different in output compressors.

Anyone interested in analog-like compression should give these a go.
Old 4th November 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post

It's expensive but it consist of 3 similar in taste yet different in output compressors.

Old 10th November 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
>snip<

indeed. a lot of dev´s claim their comps are modelled to sound analog, these actually do (imo).
Old 25th November 2011
I've demoed a few compressors and listened to sound demos of a few too. I've only really been impressed by this one and have been waiting till I've got a little spare cash! I hope they do some kind of Christmas or new year sale.

Having said that, it is $300. For a professional yes, but for me, its hard not to just go for Cytomic's compressor instead. Although If money were not the issue I think I'd go for this one.
Old 26th November 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

believe me you won't regret your choice
Old 1st December 2011
Lives for gear
Just bought it. Loving the sound. I just have to get used to the % for the envelope settings.
Old 25th December 2011
DSK
Lives for gear

Anyone on the fence about this one (IMO that's anyone who demoed it actually heh) should get it now as it's on a crazy 50% sale since the 21st..
http://www.artsacoustic.com/shop.php
I'm getting Big Rock to have the complete catalog.

IMO most underrated compressor to date. Can't express that enough...

But yet again... my secret weapon is secret
Old 27th January 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:

This compressor is amazing, best ITB comp IMHO .It shines on everything I tried . It´s impressive what it does on a drum track . I´m also demoing the Elysia Alpha and Vertigo VSC 2 compressors, they´re great (specially the Vertigo) but not in the same league (again, IMO).

Ciro
DSK
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciro View Post

This compressor is amazing, best ITB comp IMHO .It shines on everything I tried . It´s impressive what it does on a drum track .
Haha I knew it I wasn't crazy.

I mean I demoed everything that was recommended or not for ITB compression (especially drums) yet nothing had THAT sound.

This one has...THAT sound...heh

I think we should not bump this again as people seem to be ignoring ArtsAcoustic.

I mean not demoing it or put it through it paces just because it doesn't have the name/fake vintage faceplate GUI of some classic piece of gear...

The same thing I noticed a bit with UBK-1.
I would have expected a 200+ pages thread by now for that plug!

As soon as Greg started to tell people it's not a 1/1 copy of the UBK Fatso everyone was meh...

Even if that thing has Fatso DNA, improved headroom and some amazing tricks up it's sleeve which makes it even more versatile (IMO) .... nothing...

some people keep coming and asking if it's a emulation... I just don't get it!!!!

Anyway this means that people are so superficial they only care about hear-say not hear-try (as in hear and compare it yourself).

I mean I would be nothing without this place and all the valuable information but still I took everything as a guideline. I learned WHY some pieces of gear are revered instead of WHAT pieces of gear should just mix for me.

This plugin (CL) not having the massive hype around had me a bit suspicious of it's qualities. But once I tested myself on my material and heard how it enhanced and added mojo instead of just squishing loosing some of the original mojo I was sold.

As for ArtsAcoustic these guys are in business since 2004 and yet they have just 3 plugins!!!! They don't hype/spam etc. they do a once a year sale (that they don't even advertise) and that's it.

Talk about dedication.

The CL Series have been released in 2008 and still there is nothing that compares to it...

Then I asked myself... why is that!? Because they nailed it heh

On a side-note I''m loving their phaser emu BigRock to bits!!!!!
Gear Maniac

I bought their reverb several years ago and I always thought it sounded great and was easy to use. I have demo'd this compressor before and I was pretty blown away by how much of a unique character it had for being software. I should redemo it..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brok landers View Post
indeed. a lot of dev´s claim their comps are modelled to sound analog, these actually do (imo).

Exactly!
📝 Reply