The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TC ELECTRONIC comes out with 4.0 version for Powercore before the end of the year
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

*sigh* sorry, that post was out of line. Temper got the best of me.

Daniel, please ease up on the compulsive insulting of other members of this site. It's grating and shrill and unpleasant and it impresses exactly no-one.

- c
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
*sigh* sorry, that post was out of line. Temper got the best of me.

Daniel, please ease up on the compulsive insulting of other members of this site. It's grating and shrill and unpleasant and it impresses exactly no-one.

- c

What Insults? There are only jokes man!? Don’t you got them in USA? The land of the free? Where you joke about your president and all and I cant write a little joke about a fellow GS member?
I'm never being personal unless someone deserves it, ask anyone who knows me. The guys banned me already one time, it's like a witch hunt. I KNOW you don't like me but you and your 3.000 post buddies (who think they own Gearslutz) always try to start a crucifixion and that always ends up on me getting my ass kicked out of Topics. DONT BE SO JUDGEMENTAL and if it's not your fight don’t pick up on it (you American guys should already know this as you have such bad problems with GANG members and thousand of unnecessary violent kills everyday because of people trying to be vigilantes) If it's not your problem, move along (off course if it's your brother I would understand it).
Give ME a chance to get along here, your time may be up? There’s a new generation out there trying to get in to the world of engineering but it seems like older GUYS LIKE YOU and your 3.000 + posts friends don't like CHANGE. Guess what buddy, IT’S HERE!!!!!!! And it aint nothing you can do about it.

Now back on topic.
Singing Buggles hit song “Video killed the radio star”!
All together now:
“DSP killed the NATIVE OLD FARTS”

Daniel
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Flores View Post
What Insults? There are only jokes man!? Don’t you got them in USA? The land of the free? Where you joke about your president and all and I cant write a little joke about a fellow GS member?
I'm never being personal unless someone deserves it, ask anyone who knows me. The guys banned me already one time, it's like a witch hunt. I KNOW you don't like me but you and your 3.000 post buddies (who think they own Gearslutz) always try to start a crucifixion and that always ends up on me getting my ass kicked out of Topics. DONT BE SO JUDGEMENTAL and if it's not your fight don’t pick up on it (you American guys should already know this as you have such bad problems with GANG members and thousand of unnecessary violent kills everyday because of people trying to be vigilantes) If it's not your problem, move along (off course if it's your brother I would understand it).
Give ME a chance to get along here, your time may be up? There’s a new generation out there trying to get in to the world of engineering but it seems like older GUYS LIKE YOU and your 3.000 + posts friends don't like CHANGE. Guess what buddy, IT’S HERE!!!!!!! And it aint nothing you can do about it.

Now back on topic.
Singing Buggles hit song “Video killed the radio star”!
All together now:
“DSP killed the NATIVE OLD FARTS”

Daniel
Let's be clear about this very strange Native-Vs.-DSP thing you love to go on about: I'm not arguing with you.

I'm not arguing with you because I have no idea what you're talking about.

I never have any idea what you're going on about. Seriously, I never do. I would hazard a guess that, most of the time, nobody knows what you're talking about. Nobody takes you seriously enough to inquire further. They don't have the smallest amount of curiosity. Because you have come to this site to just be a very loud, aggressive clown and that's all people know.

People used to speculate that there might be some kind of language barrier, but I know plenty of educated Swedish people who know English. I don't think that's it. I think you do know the language. I think you're just a very strange man. It has nothing to do with your nationality or native language.

I don't have an opinion about DSP vs native. I've never met anyone who does. It's just different computer tools. It's not a heated topic.

What I do have an opinion about is that, seemingly unprovoked, you turn nearly every thread you visit into a very unpleasant melee. And you spray misguided insults to people you do not know. NEARLY EVERY TIME. For no reason.

I have no idea why.

I would like you to stop.

But I don't think you will.

- c
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Maniac

well mr. Silver sonya. when you can stop talking behind my back to other people (I'm surely not that interesting) then I will stop making you look like an ass.
Nobody is talking about DSPvsnative. You just picked that up because you have nothing else to say. I may be aggressive but YOU had it coming dude and even if you try to sound more educated than me, I still wont shut up, your are jealous man, admit it.

Here is a link for anyone to see what this GROWN man does when he is not doing demos for his little friends:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/moan-zone/441370-chrislago-finally-banned.html
Look at what he writes about others, educated my ass!
YOU ARE JUST ONE LAME MOFO and your sorry ass knows it!

I win.
Daniel
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Addict

Honestly this thread is funny!

Sorry guys! I do not pretend to make feel anybody bad...but

Come on Mister Flores...
Was a moment I thought you were kind of funny and with a sharp humor....but really your fuse is VERY short.
You start picking on people and when they reply back to you you get offended like a spoiled girl... you raise the level of the aggression and all is suddenly a mess.

I think all is relative, you ask for credits and stuff, you may have some credits i guess...but guess what! I am sure here are guys that believe your credits means nothing!!

So that make you nobody ??? I do not think so..

So Chill and try to make friends and no enemies!

and don't think you rule what is correct to say or not to others...that is also relative, what is cool to you may not be cool to others....
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Maniac

Neon,
Believe me, this guy "silver sonya" has been trying to "convert" me from straight to gay since day one. It's like trying to shake off one of those one night stands (where the girl just keeps on calling you) and you don't want to see her face again.
I'm tired of guys like these (mastering engineers) who think they are sooooo sophisticated. Why would you even become a mastering engineer if you never mixed any albums? It's a natural step after a long journey of mixing and actually working in the business, you cant just go out and call your self a "mastering engineer". My gradmother can call herself a mastering engineer but that doesnt mean she is any good at it.
Well, I had enough of this turd and if he is up for it so am I.

Thanks for laughing anyway.
And man, dont give me that Credits education speak again... I know all that allready and I would never dream of using my credits to crush anyone... i'm 35 and not a kid.

Daniel
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Maniac

I'm sorry , but I was just about to reply to this insane tangent of a thread, and before I even had the chance, Daniel has another post up .... Silver Sonya is apparently trying to change his sexuality now .....

.... it seems that's what sophisticated mastering engineer types are all about (or should that be "softificated")

My mind is just blown
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Addict

Daniel F.
Well..I did not follow what Mr Silver Sonya said before, but seems like he is a friendly person!
\
I am not trying to teach you a cookie, just saying you can be burned and I think there is not need for that...

No I think in this Forum are some real assHxoles...but I do not recall Silver Sonya and any other GS Fellow that commented in this thread as being one.

anyway..yes I get your humor..but I think sometimes may be too much for some people.

Peace out!
Old 21st November 2009
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
I don't have an opinion about DSP vs native. I've never met anyone who does. It's just different computer tools.
I have an opinion. I'm a DSP engineer, that worked with hardware DSPs for many years (SHARC, Blackfin), and have been programming native plugins for the last year or so.

However, my opinion is complex, with lots of subtle nuances, and is pretty boring. Not nearly as fun as rubbernecking in this thread.

Personally, I think that DSP is useful as an uncrackable dongle. A dongle that does a lot of useful work, but a dongle nonetheless. I know of at least one hardware DSP accelerator manufacturer that does all of their algorithm development on the PC, then ports it to their hardware. My guess is that this is fairly common.

It is a commercial choice, not a technical choice. Honestly, CPUs are getting really blazing fast, and the busses needed to get data out of the computer, into the DSPs, and back into the computer, aren't as fast as you would like. Still, many of the top-shelf algorithms require a DSP accelerator to run, due to the commercial decisions of the algorithm and hardware developers. Which is totally their right, and if it works for them and keeps people employed and their families fed, it is fine by me. If people can sell native algorithms, and sell enough before the copy protection is cracked in order to keep people employed and their families fed, that is also fine by me.

The main difference I see is in how quickly Moore's Law moves for DSPs versus native processors. In this case, Moore's Law is directly linked to money. A company like Analog Devices is worth a few billion dollars, but this is nothing compared to Intel, which has the funds to spend a few billion on a new fab for a super small high speed silicon process. The Intel CPUs are MONSTERS, and just keep getting faster, while DSPs don't have access to the fabs or processes needed to get the speed that the Intel chips have. On the other hands, DSPs can be really cheap - like a few bucks - and will have a home in commodity products like stompboxes. At least until chips like the ARM and Intel Atom get powerful enough DSP commands to make the old hardware DSPs obsolete.

I could go into a LOT more detail, but I don't see any HTML tags for <Ben Stein monotone></Ben Stein monotone>. I don't know why I am even typing this in a thread that is meat for the Ban Hammer.
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Maniac

Thanks for your post Sean. it makes allot of sense.
Dsp, is my favorite way to mix and the "whys" are too long to post here. I am just glad TC is updating their DSP to a new version as 3.2 is really buggy... and weird.

Thanks for posting your thoughts.
Much respect,

Daniel
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Dudes! Ease up! Daniel, pretty much everyone around here knows who SS is. In fact, if you go to his website, it says. He and I have butted heads a few times, but I can tell he's a good guy. He's having a successful career as an engineer, musician and artist... and he's passionate about the gear.

I've got about 15 years on you, and have had a successful career, as well. I've worked in nearly every area of music and audio. I sold close to a million of my own records over the last 25 years, and I've worked on records that have sold many millions more. But at the end of the day, I'm just another musician/gearhead.

I think you've even said that you're being intentionally provocative... maybe not exactly in those words, but that's the idea. It's like you're trying to pick fights. I listened to one of your songs and it was cool! You're a good drummer and a decent engineer. Anyway, you come of as just plain mean, and then say you're joking.

Sometimes, it seems like if we just left you alone, you'd end up arguing with yourself... or explode, or something! BTW, thanks again to Sean for all the great info and insight... and yeah, I care about DSP vs. native. I come from a time when native couldn't even do realtime audio. Those times are over.

Go into just about any pro commercial facility and you'll be working with PT HD. That's for a number of reasons, but one is DSP. TC seems to be going back to native, probably just for their lower stuff, if that free reverb is any indication. They've always been the Scientology of algorithms (no offense to anyone).

Native has come of age for plug-ins and mixing, and DSP has moved to more of a copy protection scheme from a necessity, for most applications other than tracking. IMO, the near future problem is something more reliable than FireWire or USB for moving data in and out of the box... but that's another story.
Old 21st November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrant View Post
Well if you really REALLY REEEEAAALLY want to be banned, I'll happily obligue!

Yes please! Few people would miss him (or the stripper's vagina below his nose).
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

I love this thread!!

Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
well mr. Silver sonya. when you can stop talking behind my back to other people (I'm surely not that interesting) then I will stop making you look like an ass.
Nobody is talking about DSPvsnative. You just picked that up because you have nothing else to say. I may be aggressive but YOU had it coming dude and even if you try to sound more educated than me, I still wont shut up, your are jealous man, admit it.

Here is a link for anyone to see what this GROWN man does when he is not doing demos for his little friends:

I win.
Daniel
Lago finally banned, best news EVER!
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdpro View Post
Sheesh, this place is getting worse day by day.

Yes Daniel is OTT (Daniel carm down my friend your tone on this forum doesn't do justice to your fantastic drumming skills)

But I find this post by jjdpro equally as anoying!

Here's a a novel idea:

STOP ALL THIS MICRO TROLLING OF THREADS

If you haven't got a Powercore stay out of this thread - it's about version 4.0 for Powercore and hopefully the release of VSS4 and MD4 - these plugins are fantastic.

If you don't like DSP, don't bother letting us know with crappy Smilies.

If your just here to comment so you can keep your profile up to sell your native plugins - don't bother!

It's a thread about DSP plugins running on the Powercore card ..... is that so dfficult to understand.

It might suprise you to know, that people who have invested in Powercore are into DSP - I prefer DSP it sounds way better to me, my mixes sound way better with DSP.

Sheesh, you think Daniels anoying, take a closer look at some of the other posts in this thread, there's more than one way to by anoying.

TMY
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarqueeYears View Post
Sheesh, you think Daniels anoying, take a closer look at some of the other posts in this thread, there's more than one way to by anoying.

TMY
Evidently, there is more than one way to spell "annoying," too.

(also guessing you meant "be" instead of "by" and "Daniel's")

Now, how's that for annoying? heh

But seriously... DSP sounds "way better?" I've thought this in the past with TDM vs. native... and there was a time that it was true. There are floating point vs. fixed point issues, but a lot of DSP is floating point these days. I'll go out on a limb and say that any "betterness" of DSP has nothing to do with anything inherent... just possibly better programming on a case by case basis.

The reality is that DSP in a DAW is awkward, especially compared to an all native solution. With the exception of PT TDM/HD (and maybe Soundscape, etc.), current DAW's are native. Heck, you've still got to use a wrapper to use 3rd party DSP in PT, right? But, if it works for you, then go for it! I'm getting what I need out of native plus hardware, and HD for mission-critical.

I'm also living well without Waves for the last few years, after being literally one of their first customers... all because of WUP and the fact that they wouldn't give me any upgrade path. Anyway, I'd like to have TC, SSL, UAD, Metric Halo, Focusrite and even MOTU DSP functionality, but they're all too much of a "one club" proposition for me. Plus, they all really live outside the DAW.

I am glad that TC seems to be stepping up to give their POCO customers better support. SSL also seem to be trying to do better, while turning DSP into cloaked native and making their early adopters angry. I just can't get on that boat, though I do have quite a bit of their fine analog(ue) hardware. I've never felt a burning need for UAD, although I would like the EMT's and upcoming AMS (them, right?).
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyoteous View Post

But seriously... DSP sounds "way better?" I've thought this in the past with TDM vs. native... and there was a time that it was true. There are floating point vs. fixed point issues, but a lot of DSP is floating point these days. I'll go out on a limb and say that any "betterness" of DSP has nothing to do with anything inherent... just possibly better programming on a case by case basis.

The reality is that DSP in a DAW is awkward, especially compared to an all native solution. With the exception of PT TDM/HD (and maybe Soundscape, etc.), current DAW's are native. Heck, you've still got to use a wrapper to use 3rd party DSP in PT, right? But, if it works for you, then go for it! I'm getting what I need out of native plus hardware, and HD for mission-critical.

I'm also living well without Waves for the last few years, after being literally one of their first customers... all because of WUP and the fact that they wouldn't give me any upgrade path. Anyway, I'd like to have TC, SSL, UAD, Metric Halo, Focusrite and even MOTU DSP functionality, but they're all too much of a "one club" proposition for me. Plus, they all really live outside the DAW.

I am glad that TC seems to be stepping up to give their POCO customers better support. SSL also seem to be trying to do better, while turning DSP into cloaked native and making their early adopters angry. I just can't get on that boat, though I do have quite a bit of their fine analog(ue) hardware. I've never felt a burning need for UAD, although I would like the EMT's and upcoming AMS (them, right?).
I don't bother with a spell checker, I don't have the time to bother -

Why do you feel the need to contribute to a thread about powercore when you havn't even got one ....

too much spare time, me thinks.

It's just endless thread trolling - and it's tedious.

TMY
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't bother with a spell checker, I don't have the time to bother -

Why do you feel the need to contribute to a thread about powercore when you havn't even got one ....

too much spare time, me thinks.

It's just endless thread trolling - and it's tedious.

TMY
The first part was a joke to try to lighten things up around here... didn't work, I guess. Why do you care whether or not I post to this or other threads? Why are you concerned with how I spend my time? If I take tedious to mean boring... I'm not here to entertain you or follow your rules. If we can engage in some meaningful discussion, share information or have a laugh, then fine... otherwise, well I'm sure your can fill in the blank.
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Addict

I'm really happy with it, I got a PoCo 6000 and I love reverbs and MD3. But the most important: PoCo is not dead.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not here to entertain you or follow your rules.
Your not meant to be.

Silly me, I thought this was a thread about some exciting news for Powercore owners.

Now back OT.

Apart from VSS4 and MD4, does anyone know which other System 6000 software, TC could port over to the Poco, are there other ones, or is it just VSS4 and MD4 that are worth owning?

TMY
Old 21st November 2009
Quote:
Apart from VSS4 and MD4, does anyone know which other System 6000 software, TC could port over to the Poco, are there other ones, or is it just VSS4 and MD4 that are worth owning?

TMY
The Massenburg MDW EQ would be amazing...
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Silly me, I thought this was a thread about some exciting news for Powercore owners.

TMY
Well, it migrated to topics other than that... topics in which you also participated and helped steer off the original topic, to be precise.

But yes, you are silly. heh
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyoteous View Post

Reading your post, I'm thinking you may want to become a grammar teacher instead of a musician.
Ahhh you don't have a POCO...
Ok.
What are you doing here?
This is about POCO not about UAD...
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

I win.
Daniel
When I read your posts, I feel like I'm accidentally high...
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Why Daniel, of course I'm here simply to annoy you and TheMarqueeYears. If you did indeed read more than the first few lines of my post, you would realize that it's not just about UAD. You turn many a thread into DSP vs. native, and perhaps all into Daniel vs. the world. I've just seen too many of these of these unsubstantiated claims that DSP inherently sounds better than native. Whether or not I own a POCO is irrelevant. I do have several TC products and I'm also interested in this whole DSP/native dynamic. Oh, and I'm not a grammar teacher. I have plenty of credentials as an engineer, musician, producer and artist... selling a million of my own records is at the top, but probably the least important to me.
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Addict

EVERYBODY'S EGO'S CALM DOWN
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

I tell you what,
One good thing about DSP is that no cheap ass nerd teenager is not going to buy it because they don't have the money for it. That makes all these plugs exclusive and if you make a living out of it (as I do) there is no problem and no complaints. Most (not all) who cry for Native are using cracked plugs, I am not saying you are but you keep me wondering if this is the case, as you are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
against it.
+ your avatar is really hairy and suspicious ;-)

Anyway, MD4 and a new Compressor would be nice. I think Tc lacks of Comps for different tasks... love the CLB1 but it’s not good for all things…

Daniel
Wait, what??
You make money from the exclusivity of your plugins alone?
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post

The main difference I see is in how quickly Moore's Law moves for DSPs versus native processors. In this case, Moore's Law is directly linked to money. A company like Analog Devices is worth a few billion dollars, but this is nothing compared to Intel, which has the funds to spend a few billion on a new fab for a super small high speed silicon process. The Intel CPUs are MONSTERS, and just keep getting faster, while DSPs don't have access to the fabs or processes needed to get the speed that the Intel chips have. On the other hands, DSPs can be really cheap - like a few bucks - and will have a home in commodity products like stompboxes. At least until chips like the ARM and Intel Atom get powerful enough DSP commands to make the old hardware DSPs obsolete.

I could go into a LOT more detail, but I don't see any HTML tags for <Ben Stein monotone></Ben Stein monotone>. I don't know why I am even typing this in a thread that is meat for the Ban Hammer.
You're maybe looking at it from the wrong side.
The markets for DSP, CISC and RISC are blending due to the higher media load in common applications.
So we see a convergence of designs in newer cpu's.
Architectures are mixed, a typical intell cpu is CISC, but has parts that are very RISC like and parts that are very DSP like.
For DSP there is always a role in very specialized hardware, but on the large things are melting together.
The main difference is becomming the application, not the ideology behind the design.
As you said, the DSP cards are glorified dongles and this will only be stronger in the future.

For most markets there is no strong need for dedicated DSP anymore.
Also, developing for an obscure architecture often costs more so it is cost effective to develop on well known and accesible architectures.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
The Massenburg MDW EQ would be amazing...
OK - cool thanks for that, it won't be cheap I bet!

VSS4
MD4
MDW EQ

that's going to be a lot of money (if they do in fact port them over)
still it would be something to aspire to.

TMY
Old 22nd November 2009
Quote:
OK - cool thanks for that, it won't be cheap I bet!

VSS4
MD4
MDW EQ

that's going to be a lot of money (if they do in fact port them over)
still it would be something to aspire to.

TMY
There's a cool loudness meter as well (LM5D), but it would have a more limited market on the PoCo I think, whereas the three you've listed there would all sell like hotcakes if they're priced aggressively enough.
Closed
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear