The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Klein + Hummel is no more.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
To balance that, I'll say that I like K+H 300/800 combo more than Barefoot, eventhough there is no doubt that Barefoot monitors are indeed excellent.
Hi GYang

I've got a pair of K&H 0300's in my project studio room which is 16 feet by 11 feet. The room is treated to a point with 8 traps and sounds OK.

Do you think I should get the matching 0800 whilst I still can, before there are non left of the K&H brand (in other words a matching sub)

My worry is, I will generate more problems than I will solve and my room will need way more treatment to deal with all that extra bass!

I'd appreciate your view (or anyone one else with the 0300/0800 combo)

Thanks

TMY
Old 22nd November 2009
Here for the gear

You won't get that much more bass, the O800 is a small sub. The most important thing is that it offloads the O300's so they will have more headroom. (If I'm not mistaken the max. spl of the combo is 10dB higher, which is a lot).

Geert
Old 22nd November 2009
I tried the 0800 sub and think it is truly excellent. I particularly like the 1/4" jack for a simple footswitch by which you can switch the sub in and out and at the same time change the signal to the 0300s from high pass to full bandwidth. Very convenient.

The downside for me is that a lot of my work involves orchestra and I need stereo bass for that. Because of the high crossover frequency of 90Hz with the 0800 (80 Hz with the 0810) when using a single sub, the sound of the string basses moves noticeably towards the center when the sub is in - and the clever footswitch arrangement lets you hear that in full measure! So much for the common convention that stereo is unnecessary below 100Hz ...

I have heard that twin 0800s or 0810s sound great and get around this limitation, but then I would be spending as much as for a pair of 0410s, and since I can't afford both, I would rather have the 0410s. In an ideal world I could definitely use both the 0300 and the 0410 as I think they have functions that in fact barely overlap.

A huge advantage of the 0300s is their amazingly small size - a pair could quite easily be carried in to a remote session, and I heard of one demo session (of movie trailer music) in a big Capitol control room where the 0800 sub was employed and after a few hours when everyone was leaving, it was apparent that many thought they had been listening through the soffit mounted mains the whole time.

The 0300/0800 system has real dynamics, and if you are lucky enough to be dealing with music where most of the bass is mono, then I think it can be strongly recommended.
K+H engineers get pretty amazing performance from their 10" bass drivers, somehow. I heard a pair of 0410 in a friend's studio a couple of months ago and I think "prodigious" is not too strong a word to describe the bass performance for what, after all, is "just" two 10 inch drivers. It was massive, and not "boomy".
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

But subs always sound so WEIRD and disjointed. Less so with K & H?
Old 22nd November 2009
I would agree that most subs don't properly blend with the satellite. The K+H combo was easy to match - in fact the only difference heard when A/B ing with that nifty footswitch was the movement of the string basses towards the center of the soundfield and a little more weight. With material having deeper, heavier bass content the difference in extension could be heard, but with the 0800 this is slight -2dB at 35Hz without and -2dB at 27Hz with.

As frequently mentioned, headroom is the biggest gain.

The 0810 sub lowers the -2dB point to 18Hz and has a little more power and a lot more flexibility, costs a fair bit more and lacks the footswitch jack.

Also, as regards the question about creating problems with the extra bass, I heard of a musician locally who had the 0300s in his home studio and had a bit of a bass boom problem in his room which was solved by adding the 0800 sub.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

thanks for the 0300/0800 replies.

I don't have a headroom problem at all, so I'm not sure £1350 on the 0800 is my best use of limited resources.

Maybe I'll be OK without as I have never ever had an issue with volume when mixing and mastering using the 0300's.

If money wasn't an issue, sure I'd get a stereo set of subs, but that's not the case, and anyway then I'd be thinking about a pair of 410's.

TMY
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarqueeYears View Post
Hi GYang

I've got a pair of K&H 0300's in my project studio room which is 16 feet by 11 feet. The room is treated to a point with 8 traps and sounds OK.

Do you think I should get the matching 0800 whilst I still can, before there are non left of the K&H brand (in other words a matching sub)

My worry is, I will generate more problems than I will solve and my room will need way more treatment to deal with all that extra bass!

I'd appreciate your view (or anyone one else with the 0300/0800 combo)

Thanks

TMY
K+H sub is really special sub, I never had impression that it adds more on bottom than really necessary. Key element is crossover that divides lower frequency of sub from the rest of system. 3-way system turns to real 4-way (I use two O800 subs) and low end is way more relaxed and superbly in control.
I think about buying O410 as midifield system, as I heard them and think they are fabulous.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
K+H sub is really special sub, I never had impression that it adds more on bottom than really necessary. Key element is crossover that divides lower frequency of sub from the rest of system. 3-way system turns to real 4-way (I use two O800 subs) and low end is way more relaxed and superbly in control.
I think about buying O410 as midifield system, as I heard them and think they are fabulous.
Thanks for that.

You got 2x 0800 wow, very cool - definately a big stretch for me, it would double the cost of my 0300's.

I'm sure it sounds fantastic.

TMY
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for that.

You got 2x 0800 wow, very cool - definately a big stretch for me, it would double the cost of my 0300's.

I'm sure it sounds fantastic.

TMY
Just to be clear two O800 don't double the low end, they just make very exact job of one o800 sub on the low end even (slightly) better and system doesn't work as subwoofer+main monitors, but exactly as 4-way system (that was initially designed for that).
On typical nearfield task where high resolution is necessary on low to mid loudness levels, such system works as butter. For midfield O410 is obvious choice, so although price of o300+subs is similar to o410, these system serve different purposes.
Old 23rd November 2009
Quote:
I don't have a headroom problem at all, so I'm not sure £1350 on the 0800 is my best use of limited resources.
TMY
On the other hand if, as I say, you are not mixing classical music, I'm not sure the 0800 isn't your best use of resources, since you own the 0300s!

When they become Neumanns, I wouldn't be amazed to see the prices go up.
Old 23rd November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
I can supply you with a spare pair of barefoot
nice try

maybe next time, or when (or should i say if) my K+H needs spare parts heh
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Dawkins View Post
On the other hand if, as I say, you are not mixing classical music, I'm not sure the 0800 isn't your best use of resources, since you own the 0300s!

When they become Neumanns, I wouldn't be amazed to see the prices go up.
Good point.

I think I'll check the piggy bank again :-)

Thanks

TMY
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear
K&H prices have gone up very rapidly in the last few years. My 300D's have increased in price by more than a third in about three years. I would be very suprised if Neumann don't include a price hike with the name change.

ns
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Actually most of my gear has gone up 35% in the last 12 months.

I can't figure out why, global recession usually means less money about yet the prices have gone silly.

My HEDD cost me £2000 now it's £2700 !! in a matter of 12 months, maybe it's just the weak UK pound?

TMY
Old 24th November 2009
It's also the weak US$ as a big factor in prices. Especially for those which are dependet on foreign parts, etc. The get more expensive for the manufacturer as soon as the $ gets weaker.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear