The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Klein + Hummel is no more.
Old 19th November 2009
  #31
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Really? Seems the opposite to me.

- c
Hmm...yeah, thinking about it, I guess it could go different ways.
Old 19th November 2009
  #32
Lives for gear
 
TheMarqueeYears's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes_F View Post
I was astonished when I read that such a reputated company like K + H only has 16 employees.
I can believe that - when I ordered mine, it was like "we'll let you know when they've made them!"

They are without doubt the most beautifully made monitors, the finish is such high quality, and the sound is just perfect to my ear.

Wonderful monitors without doubt, I just hope Neumann don't cut corners on build quality, like BLUE did with the bottle caps after they parted company with their Latvian manafacturer.

TMY
Old 19th November 2009
  #33
Lives for gear
 
GYang's Avatar
K+H is now history.
I'm very proud owner of their monitors (I'll try to buy their 410 now, too).
Old 19th November 2009
  #34
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
There are others who agree with you (there's a classical recording guy Plush who gets irked everytime I raise this issue) and if it works for you, that's totally cool. As I said, I LOVE THEM. Tonally, they're my favorite model that I've ever heard.

But I feel them compressing as they approach higher levels and this is a bummer for speakers this expensive. I don't spend a lot of time at high volumes (in fact quite the opposite, as indicated by this thread) but I think that, as a simple proposition of value-for-money, the K+H's should crank to any volume you'd want to play them.

If they were less expensive, I'd be fine with them as they are.

I have a famous producer friend (who I won't name 'cause I don't want to get in trouble) who has thought about pairing up with K+H to produce a special signature version that would address this problem.

- c
Hiya Silver Sonya,

I'm not really irked at those who say that the KH 300 is underpowered, I'm just concious that some users are pushing the relatively small 0300's beyond their useful spl limits.

Why do some engineers think that the relatively small 0300's should play as loudly as
a main monitor set-up?

If you require louder sound, you will need to move to a large monitor that can move more air.

As far as the rebranding is concerned I think it's a dumb idea.

The main problems for Sennheiser are that the dollar is low and the middle man (Senn. USA+dealer margin) makes German gear high priced here in the USA.

ATTN: Sennheiser--don't you dare lower quality on KH monitors. Don't you dare cheapen the brand and lower the price to buy market penetration. If you do, we will scorch you here on GS and in person.
Old 19th November 2009
  #35
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Hiya Silver Sonya,

I'm not really irked at those who say that the KH 300 is underpowered, I'm just concious that some users are pushing the relatively small 0300's beyond their useful spl limits.

Why do some engineers think that the relatively small 0300's should play as loudly as
a main monitor set-up?

If you require louder sound, you will need to move to a large monitor that can move more air.

As far as the rebranding is concerned I think it's a dumb idea.

The main problems for Sennheiser are that the dollar is low and the middle man (Senn. USA+dealer margin) makes German gear high priced here in the USA.

ATTN: Sennheiser--don't you dare lower quality on KH monitors. Don't you dare cheapen the brand and lower the price to buy market penetration. If you do, we will scorch you here on GS and in person.
Plush: re: the amplifier issue: fair enough. We see the matter differently. I respect your perspective.

RE: the cost: to clarify, I'm sure your concern is that the O300's don't go down in quality. However, if they manage to lower the price and it results in increased sales, it's good for everyone. Except those who want to re-sell their O300's on the used market. But, really, who does that?

- c
Old 19th November 2009
  #36
Gear Maniac
 

The best thing i ever did was buy a pair of k&h

That being said, I'd never heard of them until reading GS... so I guess the marketing/PR wasn't up to much which is a shame.

I nearly didn't get them. Several times I contacted Sennheiser to see where I could audition or buy some and they never got back to me

That didn't really help the cause and I didn't personally know anyone that had them. I bought them blind (or should that be deaf) and never looked back.

Shame it's come to this, but I'm thinking the strong Euro isn't really helping them either at the moment.
Old 19th November 2009
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 

It's truly an extraordinary monitor.

If you got the dough, it'd be an amazing home stereo. They're extremely pleasant to listen to, in addition to being revealing.

If I get the dough together, I'll buy another set.

- c
Old 19th November 2009
  #38
Gear Addict
 

I love my O300D. It sounds so good! You don't see these monitors on eBay, because most owners will keep theirs.

I guess K + H monitors are not selling so well is because:

1) Very expensive, though it's not easy to make a good three-way monitors with built-in amps very cheap.

The main reasons:

2) They are so ugly! Even a cheap NS-10 looks better than a slightly larger O300D. O300D's big brothers are also very bad looking. Why?

I can understand some engineers only care about sound and functionality, but for this price, it should look more hi-end. BTW, ADAMs are also ugly..... I also don't like the hi frequencies, imho.

3) Bad distribution. ADAM monitors are sold in Guitar Center and Sweetwater, but you just can't find K+H anywhere. Not many online retailers are selling them. If people don't know about it or can't find it, they don't buy it, as simple as that.
Old 19th November 2009
  #39
Gear Maniac
 
Uncite's Avatar
 

Ugly? What?

I think they are beautiful
Old 19th November 2009
  #40
Gear Maniac
 

I think they look great and if i had the cash I would replace all my other speakers with them!
Old 20th November 2009
  #41
Lives for gear
 
Yoda117's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarqueeYears View Post
What does U mean in german engineering.

U87, U47, U300's

U-Boats (millitary subs)

Does the U just mean "under water" is there a connection here between
U47 and U-boat?

Just got me thinking, thats all.

TMY
U can't answer the U for the U87, U47, etc. but in reference to U-Boats, it's actually an Americanized version of U-Boot (the German term), which was short for Unterseeboot (which is the German word for "undersea boat").

No clue what it stands for with the Neumann mics though.

Sad to hear about K&H. Bad marketing and distribution IMO, but kiss-a$$ monitors.
Old 20th November 2009
  #42
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda117 View Post
U can't answer the U for the U87, U47, etc. but in reference to U-Boats, it's actually an Americanized version of U-Boot (the German term), which was short for Unterseeboot (which is the German word for "undersea boat").

No clue what it stands for with the Neumann mics though.

Sad to hear about K&H. Bad marketing and distribution IMO, but kiss-a$$ monitors.
Nothing I like better than monitors that kiss ass.

- c
Old 20th November 2009
  #43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Nothing I like better than monitors that kiss ass.

- c
well.. I am more into women, then monitors. but then again I am married. so you are probably right.
Old 20th November 2009
  #44
Lives for gear
 
The MPCist's Avatar
 

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chao View Post

I guess K + H monitors are not selling so well is because:
1) Very expensive, though it's not easy to make a good three-way monitors with built-in amps very cheap.
Aren't they about the price of Barefoots and Focals?

Quote:
2) They are so ugly! Even a cheap NS-10 looks better than a slightly larger O300D. O300D's big brothers are also very bad looking. Why?
I think they look rather nice. To tell the truth I think the Barefoot MM27's are ugly... heh

Quote:
I can understand some engineers only care about sound and functionality, but for this price, it should look more hi-end. BTW, ADAMs are also ugly..... I also don't like the hi frequencies, imho.
ADAM S3A/S3X = think Wall-E. heh

Quote:
3) Bad distribution. ADAM monitors are sold in Guitar Center and Sweetwater, but you just can't find K+H anywhere. Not many online retailers are selling them. If people don't know about it or can't find it, they don't buy it, as simple as that.
They don't sell well cuz they don't have the hype machine here on GS like some other products. You know what I'm talking about.....


Now after the name change, watch them sell well in the US mainly since most Americans are familiar with the name, Neumann. If they priced them a bit lower than usual, I'm sure they would get a fair share of the market.....
Old 20th November 2009
  #45
I don't understand how so many consider the 0300s expensive. They are cheaper than any other comparable speaker that I am aware of, and that is to say comparable in paper specification only - not actual performance.

I love my 0300s and sold my previous set up which was a couple of years old for well under half retail and still put money in my pocket at the same time as I feel I made a massive improvement to the sound I was hearing. I don't call that expensive!

Adding a K+H sub or two makes a huge difference to the headroom being spoken of and is obviously a part of the cleverly judged concept.

I believe also that the current street price for the 0410 is a screaming deal and I would immediately buy a pair for myself if I could afford it. I believe these, in particular, will go 'way up when they are Neumanns, because they will have to sell for what looks to be a premium price - they are Neumanns!
To be credible, they must sell for more than ATC and the like, and currently they are considerably cheaper.

The Sennheiser brand is to be used for K+H installation and PA speakers which makes pretty good sense to me.

I would rather see the Neumann and Sennheiser names on these products than a great number of other brand names I can think of.
Old 20th November 2009
  #46
Lives for gear
 
relaxo's Avatar
We do hip hop sessions every week. The compressor in these has saved me thousands of dollars in replacement drivers. That's why I bought them...they're unblowable.

Economics, son.
Old 20th November 2009
  #47
Lives for gear
 
GYang's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post
they're unblowable.

Still, don't push too much.
Old 20th November 2009
  #48
Lives for gear
 
TheMarqueeYears's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda117 View Post
U can't answer the U for the U87, U47, etc. but in reference to U-Boats, it's actually an Americanized version of U-Boot (the German term), which was short for Unterseeboot (which is the German word for "undersea boat").
Right thanks for the info.

To the poster who thinks 0300's are ugly. I demod Focal Twins at the same time as the 0300's and to me - the Focals looked like two pair's of boobs pointing at me (actually that's not a bad thing thinking about it)

The strangest thing about the Focal Twins was they smelled of German sausage - which was odd because they are French and the 0300 which are German smelled really good.

Funny that -

Since this news I have been double loving my 0300's.

TMY
Old 20th November 2009
  #49
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post
We do hip hop sessions every week. The compressor in these has saved me thousands of dollars in replacement drivers. That's why I bought them...they're unblowable.
I'm not too shure about that. With bass heavy music and high SPL you get a woofer excursion of multiple cm, which is a typical behaviour of a closed box. They probably used an high excursion woofer, but it looks scary and it affects sound quality. That's why I prefer to use them with the K+H sub.

Geert
Old 20th November 2009
  #50
Lives for gear
 
TheMarqueeYears's Avatar
 

I'm now thinking of grabbing a K&H 0800 sub whilst I can still get a matching unit!

TMY
Old 20th November 2009
  #51
What a pitty...

I hope I'll get spare parts long enough for my O198 and O800
Old 20th November 2009
  #52
Quote:
Originally Posted by deft_bonz View Post
What a pitty...

I hope I'll get spare parts long enough for my O198 and O800
I can supply you with a spare pair of barefoot
Old 20th November 2009
  #53
Gear Addict
 

I love how every single speaker thread on the entire forum somehow within a few posts devolves into a Barefoot pimping.

In house hype for the win.
Old 20th November 2009
  #54
Lives for gear
 
GYang's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Krull View Post
I love how every single speaker thread on the entire forum somehow within a few posts devolves into a Barefoot pimping.

In house hype for the win.
To balance that, I'll say that I like K+H 300/800 combo more than Barefoot, eventhough there is no doubt that Barefoot monitors are indeed excellent.
Old 20th November 2009
  #55
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarqueeYears View Post
Right thanks for the info.

The strangest thing about the Focal Twins was they smelled of German sausage - which was odd because they are French and the 0300 which are German smelled really good.

TMY
The 0300s are made in Ireland - the 0410s are made in Germany. Maybe you were smelling the Irish Whiskey, or the peat.
Old 20th November 2009
  #56
Lives for gear
 
The MPCist's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
To balance that, I'll say that I like K+H 300/800 combo more than Barefoot, eventhough there is no doubt that Barefoot monitors are indeed excellent.
Too much Barefoot worshipping going on.....
Old 22nd November 2009
  #57
Gear Head
 
mozartkaan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
K+H is now history.
I'm very proud owner of their monitors (I'll try to buy their 410 now, too).
Go for It ! thumbsup

Old 22nd November 2009
  #58
Lives for gear
 
relaxo's Avatar
The 0300Ds will still be made though under the Neumann brand, right?
Old 22nd November 2009
  #59
I don't believe Sennheiser has revealed that sort of detail yet.

I hope they keep the line up similar - it makes good sense as it stands, I think.

That said, it would be great to see a super high excursion, high power handling bass driver like the one currently used in the Event Opal and extra power on all three amps (the 0410 shows the mid dome can handle it) to step up the dynamic capability just a notch. Bass amp could be digital and the others class AB or Tripath-like.

Just a thought.
Old 22nd November 2009
  #60
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 

I do hope they seize it as an opportunity.

If you're re-branding, you might as well take a hard look at the product and see what you can improve.

Delicate thing, though, "improvement."

There is the dangerous precedent of New Coke to remember. Every corporation has to beware that principle.

- c
πŸ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear