The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SPL Vitalizer MK2-t plugin!! Dynamics Plugins
Old 9th December 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by spl_support View Post
Have a great weekend everybody, Dirk / SPL.
Hi Dirk!
I bought the plugin two days ago on Ebay... the seller told me that you are informed about my Ilok ID but I still didn't received nothing in my account... Where's my license?!?! Let me know please!
Old 9th December 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankreverbo View Post
Hi Dirk!
I bought the plugin two days ago on Ebay... the seller told me that you are informed about my Ilok ID but I still didn't received nothing in my account... Where's my license?!?! Let me know please!
You should contact the seller you purchased it from, rather than posting about it here.
Old 9th December 2009
Lives for gear
Sorry Tony, I was hoping Dirk to help me.
Old 9th December 2009
Gear Addict

Definitely gonna pick this up. Been demo'ing it the past couple of days and I absolutely cannot do without it now. I have the original SPL Vitalizer and love it but I may just like this even better. Multiple instances!
Old 9th December 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
You should contact the seller you purchased it from, rather than posting about it here.
Anyway I wrote several mails to SPL but NOBODY answered me... so the problem isn't only from who you buy but maybe also from the company who made the plugin.
Old 9th December 2009
Look into spam filtering.....
Old 9th December 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
Look into spam filtering.....
Looked all the day, there's nothing. Several mails without any news. Not so good for SPL, I've to say.
Old 9th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus View Post
Definitely gonna pick this up. Been demo'ing it the past couple of days and I absolutely cannot do without it now. I have the original SPL Vitalizer and love it but I may just like this even better. Multiple instances!
Hi Cletus.
Would it be possible for you to post 3 samples (5-10 sec each) of different instruments with hardware VS software? Also the raw file would be a good thing. Whatever sounds standard to you (mix, drums, guitar, vox, anything).
I know it's not gonna sound the same but that would be a good reference for anybody who's interested in SPL stuff.
Thanks, your help will be very appreciated by a lot of people.

Bas
Old 9th December 2009

Quote:
Anyway I wrote several mails to SPL but NOBODY answered me... so the problem isn't only from who you buy but maybe also from the company who made the plugin.
You are posting anonymously... And Dirk doesn't process the orders.

Have your seller contact his distributor.
Old 9th December 2009

Quote:
Sorry Tony, I was hoping Dirk to help me.
It took 3 days to get mine because the SPL is in Europe and they are probably behind on orders.
Old 9th December 2009
Lives for gear

got mine in 15 Minutes !!!! incl. the ilok License......
Strange

Never had a problem with the SPL Web-Shop
Old 9th December 2009
Lives for gear
Ok solved, finally I got my license.
Old 9th December 2009

The wait time from SPL is typically 1 full business day. Everyone who ordered from us yesterday has already got their license (I know because we get confirmation).
Old 10th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baslotto View Post
Hi Cletus.
Would it be possible for you to post 3 samples (5-10 sec each) of different instruments with hardware VS software? Also the raw file would be a good thing. Whatever sounds standard to you (mix, drums, guitar, vox, anything).
I know it's not gonna sound the same but that would be a good reference for anybody who's interested in SPL stuff.

Bas
That would be cool to have a nice comparison of the two units. However mine is not the mkII T which might be a more accurate comparison. Any MKII T owners out there care to compare?
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

I am using this every day on every mix I do. Be sparing with it - just a little makes a mix completely stand at attention. Just getting into using it on individual tracks now.
Old 10th December 2009
Gear Addict

Bummer it's iLok, i'd like to try the demo.
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by baslotto View Post
Hi Cletus.

Bas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus View Post
That would be cool to have a nice comparison of the two units. However mine is not the mkII T which might be a more accurate comparison. Any MKII T owners out there care to compare?
How is that, you post a raw file you are familar with and I post back the comparison HW vs SW, cool?

BTW, there is already a comparison on page four.
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas G View Post
How is that, you post a raw file you are familar with and I post back the comparison HW vs SW, cool?

BTW, there is already a comparison on page four.
That's 1 comparison with no raw files on page four, yes.
I have plenty of files for you. Just tell me what do you mostly use this processor for: vocals? electric guitars? acoustic guitars? sax? piano? drums? a cappella? classical ensemble? what tracks make you comfortably say "thank you Vitalizer MK2", so you can show people how this plugin sounds compared to the hardware?

Just give me some input and I'll post the files you offered to process.

Thank you for doing this.
Old 10th December 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lematrix View Post
got mine in 15 Minutes !!!! incl. the ilok License......Strange.
Never had a problem with the SPL Web-Shop
Same here. Very fast and impeccable service, that's what SPL stands for in my experience.

_
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

Hi baslotto,

your question seems to be more related when and how to use a vitalizer than an AB comparison HW versus software. I did the comparison out of my own curiosity. I thought this time SPL will burn their fingers. I didn't believe in a plug-in which could hold up against the hardware, I admit it. Well it seems I was wrong. So my intension was actually not to explain what a vitalizer can do before and after, I thought every one could feature that out with the demo.

But okey, I think you can put a vitalizer on nearly every thing where you feel it needs more work to get a rather finished sound, like what you would do with a very good eq chain. I know it gets used also on spoken dialogs in the movie industrie to make them exciting and intelligible. A friend of mine does classical recordings, once he had to master/refurbish some old classical recordings from the 50th. And now it comes, he told me they were all to bright, yes you read right. He uses his tube vitalizer to bring down the brightness in a musical way. So there is another field where a vitalizer might excel.

I'd say files from roughmixes, drums, strings, guitars, vocals to refurbish things are all fine. Tracks which are not that perfect yet, so to speak :-)
Old 10th December 2009
Gear Addict

TDM vs Native TDM sounding better??

Hello!
demoing it now
sounds great!!!!
reminds me of my youth in the 90ies:-) (in a good way--basement studio)

Did anybody notice that the TDM version sounds a bit better, more focused, stable,
than RTAS (i think vst should sound exactly like rtas).
Thats not always the case-some plug do sound better in native than TDM
(esp all the newer waves stuff).

pls don´t tell me TDM and native is no difference
(you can hear it - you can´t null it out - tdm doen´t sonds better with all plugins)

just want opinions from other TDM users
and it would be great to hear something from Dirk/SPL about that!

Cheers!
Old 10th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Anyone tried it with Sonar 8.5 Producer edition ?

Downloaded the demo, updated my ilok drivers, installed the plug in...
But its nowhere to be found !!

It does not show up in the Sonar plug in manager.

I can see that the installer placed the .dll in an SPL folder under programfiles\Steinberg\vstplugins so everything should be in order...

I have emailed SPL as well, but I figured I'll try here also, if somebody knows a quick fix ?

tia
Old 10th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Yep, I did, the Vitalizer works perfectly with Sonar 8.5 PE ; maybe you've got too many plugins, Sonar by default cannot displays all of your plugins if they are too many. Look in the Cakewalk plugin manager if it shows ; then you can create a custom menu showing only plugins you "really" use
Old 10th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemeek View Post
Hello!
demoing it now
sounds great!!!!
reminds me of my youth in the 90ies:-) (in a good way--basement studio)

Did anybody notice that the TDM version sounds a bit better, more focused, stable,
than RTAS (i think vst should sound exactly like rtas).
Thats not always the case-some plug do sound better in native than TDM
(esp all the newer waves stuff).

pls don´t tell me TDM and native is no difference
(you can hear it - you can´t null it out - tdm doen´t sonds better with all plugins)

just want opinions from other TDM users
and it would be great to hear something from Dirk/SPL about that!

Cheers!
TDM and native is no difference. Ask Massey.
Old 10th December 2009
Gear Head

Okay, I am on a bit of guilt trip now.
I am building up quite an obscene collection now of "just make it better" plug-ins.

I have
- UAD Fatso
- SPL TwinTube
- Powercore MD3 (okay so this is a mastering plug)
- and now Vitalizer

And now, like the man who has two watches and no longer knows what the time is ... I don't which plug-in or mix of plug-ins I should use on the master bus. So the obvious advice I expect to recieve is "just use your ears" ... but thats kind unsatisfactory ... I'd appreciate some basic advice here.

So ..
Should I use the TwinTube in Combination with Vitalizor, and if so in what should the signal path be?

Would more experienced people consider Vitalizer and Fatso as an either / or choice, or is there a rationale for both (to warm and enhance)? Signal path suggestions?

Grateful and interested in any opinions ...
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Buchan View Post
- UAD Distressor
- and now Vitalizor
You mean... UAD Fatso and VitalizEr?
Old 10th December 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
You mean... UAD Fatso and VitalizEr?
er, yes ... corrected
Old 10th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by topperf View Post
TDM and native is no difference. Ask Massey.
maybe use your ears? .... heh
if you got none -- what about outphasing?

i know and love masseyplugins but this may only be right for HIS plugins.
in fact i didn´t notice any difference between RTAS/TDM with his plugs...
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Buchan View Post
Okay, I am on a bit of guilt trip now.
I am building up quite an obscene collection now of "just make it better" plug-ins.

I have
- UAD Fatso
- SPL TwinTube
- Powercore MD3 (okay so this is a mastering plug)
- and now Vitalizer

And now, like the man who has two watches and no longer knows what the time is ... I don't which plug-in or mix of plug-ins I should use on the master bus. So the obvious advice I expect to recieve is "just use your ears" ... but thats kind unsatisfactory ... I'd appreciate some basic advice here.

So ..
Should I use the TwinTube in Combination with Vitalizor, and if so in what should the signal path be?

Would more experienced people consider Vitalizer and Fatso as an either / or choice, or is there a rationale for both (to warm and enhance)? Signal path suggestions?

Grateful and interested in any opinions ...
I would not use TwinTube on the master bus. It doesn't have much "openness" in the top end. Use it on individual tracks or buses. Don't know about Fatso, but I would think you wouldn't want that on the master bus either, but more on individual tracks or buses.

First... just stick the MD3 on the master bus by itself... doesn't matter which setting you use. I just use the default setting. Mix into this. You will get different results for different settings of MD3. But once you've started mixing with the settings, stick to 'em for the most part. Get the mix as close as you can with nothing else on the master bus. Don't think about any loudness aspects. Just make sure you try to be somewhere between -6 to -3 db with your mix (use a level meter) before the MD3 input.

Once the mix is as close as you can get it with only the MD3, if you wanna "master" while your mix bounces down, do the following.

Get the level on the master bus to about -3db peak with no processing (as above). Insert an instance of TC's Brickwall Limiter first, before the MD3... just to knock down those couple of 1-2db peaks that are above everything else that always seem to occur on an unprocessed mix bus, and to transparently adjust gain so that your peak into MD3 is around -3db.

Run that into MD3 with makeup gain on MD3 off. Then into Vitalizer and adjust to taste (don't over cook it). This may cause a little increase in gain, but shouldn't be a problem because gain is already down before that because of MD3's compression with no makeup gain. Then into another instance of TC Brickwall Limiter, using it's gain to get the peak back up near zero. Then increase the Brickwall gain again however many db over that to provide the amount of loudness level you want for the final master. I'd get a copy of the Dynamic Range Meter and run a copy of your final mix through the offline version. Hopefully you can keep the DR of your track somewhere between 10-12 db (or more) and have it still be loud enough for you. If it's not, there's probably an EQ problem with your mix.

Use a good level meter temporarily between each process to make sure you're getting the levels right before the next process. Don't hesitate to temporarily stick it back in between the processes if you make any mix adjustments, just to make sure you keep the levels good. Even a slight EQ change somewhere on an individual track in the mix could throw the level out of whack.

By the way... if you want a better sounding version of what TwinTube does (minus the harmonics control)... it's called Wave Arts Tube Saturator. thumbsup

Hope this helps some.

Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
By the way... if you want a better sounding version of what TwinTube does (minus the harmonics control)... it's called Wave Arts Tube Saturator.
There are many people, including myself, who have tried both and disagree with this statement.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search