The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SPL Vitalizer MK2-t plugin!! Dynamics Plugins
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmoore View Post
Sorry, I don't get the comparisson. The Vitalizer is effectively an EQ and the mPressor and CL-1B are compressors. I'd love to know how you'd set up the mPressor to do 'a similar kind of thing'.

JM
Leftside Wobble
I just don't get the "it's an EQ" line at all.. the VMkII is clearly some kind of 'exciter' come compressor come Stereo widener thingy for me. Not 'just' an EQ.

Anyway, IMO, it doesn't rate against a chain of dedicated processors and the Powercore Character plug just kills it.
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

After additional testing still cannot deceide. I find it as a great plugin to create great boombox, radio, car and Ipod mixes with it. Lift hi-mids and presence and make the lows thump chuga-chuga. But on the other hand it really eats low-mids and thins the mix so it becomes more two-dimensional. I put the mix into my neighbour's Audi A6 heavy sub disco system and he prefered Vitalizer mix. When I put the same mix on my hifi setup things changed drastically.

So, doing pop mixes for Ipod or radio - get it. Doing more alternative, jazz, classical, fusion - go away with it. Doing both - get it.
Old 7th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ssa View Post
I just don't get the "it's an EQ" line at all.. the VMkII is clearly some kind of 'exciter' come compressor come Stereo widener thingy for me. Not 'just' an EQ.

Anyway, IMO, it doesn't rate against a chain of dedicated processors and the Powercore Character plug just kills it.
If Dirk from SPL describes it as an EQ that's good enough for me (the important point though was that it bears no comparison to the mPressor)!

Still to make my mind on whether I'll purchase it or not though, much as I like what it does I would agree it's possible to achieve much the same effect with a dedicated chain. However I really like what it does with the upper mids (I have to master a lot of material that's a tad muffled in this area). Anyway not rushing into anything only had the beta running for a few days and I'll then probably run the 14 day demo before making my mind up.

JM
Leftside Wobble
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Sorry, I don't get the comparisson. The Vitalizer is effectively an EQ and the mPressor and CL-1B are compressors. I'd love to know how you'd set up the mPressor to do 'a similar kind of thing'.

JM
Leftside Wobble

Well I've actually tried both, and judging by your comment, you apparently haven't. The Vitalizer has drive and and compression knobs which both perform a type of compression. The mPressor is a much better and more sophisticated compressor along with a drive effect that comes with turning up its output gain that sounds much better than the drive on the Vitalizer. So in the compression/saturation department mPressor is the clear winner.

The mPressor also has an EQ function that is very similar to the Vitalizer's sweepable emphasis function, but again sounds way better. So there you have it. Similar plug-ins with similar functions and the mPressor the clear winner in every category. Try the demos if you don't believe me. I will concede that the marketing presents these as different types of plug-ins, but basically they are capable of similar functions.

I don't consider the stereo enhancement to be a major selling point of Vitalizer. So it doesn't fit into my comparison. Many plugs already do that well.

My point is that you could "Vitalize" something better with the mPressor.
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
I don't consider the stereo enhancement to be a major selling point of Vitalizer.
Why not??
Old 7th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Well I've actually tried both, and judging by your comment, you apparently haven't. The Vitalizer has drive and and compression knobs which both perform a type of compression. The mPressor is a much better and more sophisticated compressor along with a drive effect that comes with turning up its output gain that sounds much better than the drive on the Vitalizer. So in the compression/saturation department mPressor is the clear winner.

The mPressor also has an EQ function that is very similar to the Vitalizer's sweepable emphasis function, but again sounds way better. So there you have it. Similar plug-ins with similar functions and the mPressor the clear winner in every category. Try the demos if you don't believe me. I will concede that the marketing presents these as different types of plug-ins, but basically they are capable of similar functions.

I don't consider the stereo enhancement to be a major selling point of Vitalizer. So it doesn't fit into my comparison. Many plugs already do that well.

We'll have to agree to differ on this one. I'm not doubting the efficacy of the mPressor as a compressor I've followed the threads closely on GS and when I feel the need to expand my arsenal of compressors I'll probably download the demo and find out for myself.
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

Hey mate,

I see what youre saying, the compressor is for bass in vitalizer and the process is for increased perception of loudness/seperation... and yes we all know compressors are famous for doing just that!

The mPressor is like a swissarmy knife of compressors so that makes it worth 330 for that alone... mPressor and DSM = my plug-in comp needs are taken care of...

but the vitalizer can easily do some things the mPressor cant... and vice versa... plus stereo widening.... Im just saying these are different products, I have tried both... I have been finding that Waves Maxx Bass plus character is easily a vitalizer alternative, mPressor is just another really awesome plug-in... and for what you are describing you would need a couple mPressors in the chain... wheras 2 vitalizers one after another with subtle processing sounds wicked too and if they are running in parallel the effect of increased perception is greatly emphasised... the mPressor would be able to do the same but it will sound different... and thats what its about to me, if they sound different, they are different products... which one is better suited for your needs is up to you to decide...

Cheers, BTW I dont think I will be purchasing...

Suda
Old 7th December 2009
Quote:

I wouldn't compare them too much, as I'd use the Vitalizer on separate tracks, while I'd use the Mpressor on the buss.
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago View Post
I wouldn't compare them too much, as I'd use the Vitalizer on separate tracks, while I'd use the Mpressor on the buss.
mPressor can do fantastic things on single tracks. When I use it on a track, I'm mainly using it for the EQ with very, very slight compression. On individual drums, using a compression ratio of 1.4:1 and tuning the attack/release can change the whole sound of the drum. And the gain knob is really a trip in terms of saturation for individual drums.

I also like it on a drum buss in the way you describe.

I don't know why, but the Vitalizer just ain't doin' it for me no matter what I try it on.
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Whatever you put it on just screams "artificial" (in a bad way :D) even at low levels.
I never had such problems.

Quote:
The Vitalizer has drive and and compression knobs which both perform a type of compression. The mPressor is a much better and more sophisticated compressor along with a drive effect that comes with turning up its output gain that sounds much better than the drive on the Vitalizer. So in the compression/saturation department mPressor is the clear winner.
Are you really sure you understood what the drive and compression knobs are for? It doesn't seem so to me.

"Drive" just sets the input level.
"Compression" works only on the enhanced bass frequencies as corrective.
Old 8th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
The demo is now available:

SPL Software Download

We will have it for sale starting the 7th (as will other dealers).
Tony, I sent you an email via your website, have you seen it? Got no reply so far...
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear

i love this Plugin.... it simply works !!!!
Maybe its not 100 % like the Hardware, but i dont care. There is no other Plugin out there that works like a Vitalizer.
Again good work from SPL and Brainworx.
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear

like politicians ,
You show us the Price ......
then you tell us theres 25% off ......
then you add 19% tax....
then we're just about back to the price we were shown at the beginning lol...
Old 8th December 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levon View Post
Tony, I sent you an email via your website, have you seen it? Got no reply so far...
I don't think I got an email from you.. Please drop me another line, and I'll answer any questions you have.
Old 8th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
like politicians ,
You show us the Price ......
then you tell us theres 25% off ......
then you add 19% tax....
then we're just about back to the price we were shown at the beginning lol...
Get a quote from a US retailer! The discount is being applied through all their sales channels too...

JM
Leftside Wobble
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Get a quote from a US retailer! The discount is being applied through all their sales channels too...

JM
Leftside Wobble
Anyone know of any online USA retailers selling this?
Old 8th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I don't think I got an email from you.. Please drop me another line, and I'll answer any questions you have.
Thanks Tony, I just got your mail.

Greetz
Levon Thomas
Old 8th December 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levon View Post
Thanks Tony, I just got your mail.

Greetz
Levon Thomas
Cool.
Old 8th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofine View Post
You're sandwiched between two posts from a certain Tony Belmont!

JM
Leftside Wobble
Old 8th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Quote:

JM
Leftside Wobble
thumbsupthumbsup for Tony!
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

JM
Leftside Wobble
Well that was a great tasting mutually benefiting sandwich. Thanks for the culinery recommendation
Old 8th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Wells View Post
Day two with said plugin. Blowing our minds. Very finicky and experienced ears in the studio this week and everyone is knocked out. It takes a mix that's 3/4 of the way and almost immediately makes it sound done. Not for lo fi indie records, but if you're trying to get on the radio, this is the most help I've ever had from any single inanimate thing.
Completely agree with said statement!
Old 8th December 2009
Gear Maniac

After 5 day's trying this thing out on a wide range of material I'm in 100% agreement. About to pull the purchase trigger!

JM
Leftside Wobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdude View Post
Completely agree with said statement!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Wells View Post
Day two with said plugin. Blowing our minds. Very finicky and experienced ears in the studio this week and everyone is knocked out. It takes a mix that's 3/4 of the way and almost immediately makes it sound done. Not for lo fi indie records, but if you're trying to get on the radio, this is the most help I've ever had from any single inanimate thing.
Old 8th December 2009
Gear Nut

Killin' on bussed stereo double-tracked distorted guitars. They were great to begin with, now they are really poppin! Almost there...
Old 9th December 2009
Gear Nut

SPL Vitalizer on vocal/voiceover ?

the verdict ? opinions ?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Sven
Old 9th December 2009
Lives for gear

It's a very good plugin and I'm about to drop the money. I'm not too convinced about the fact that I can't really control the hi-end, it only boosts it up. Am I missing something? I get a little too bright result.
Anyone?

EDIT: actually post #108 explains this issue very well.
Old 9th December 2009
Lives for gear

After much work with Vitalizer I have finally managed to learn it to make it work on a different sources. Really like it. Definitely gonna buy it!!!
Old 9th December 2009

$300 for TDM and $200 for native what not to like?
Old 9th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Alto Music has treated me very well over the years and I've bought SPL plugs from them within the past year at very good prices.
Old 9th December 2009
Gear Nut

I've been remixing some tracks with the demo. Vitalizer for improved clarity and image, then signal goes through the Nomad Blue Tube Analog Track Box for some "ass" (a term I usually save in reference to guitar amps). It must be voodoo. Sounds unbelievable. It can take the mud out of the digital performer sound (I would post this in the digital performer sounds muddy thread, but there is a raging flame war over there. The sequencer can sound dull if the levels are recorded too hot and the stereo bus pushed too hard. That is my experience). A little goes a long way.
I've tried the summing box route, but this combo gives me what I am looking for so far. I need to try it on orchestral material next.
Did someone say "group buy"?!
Lou

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search