The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SPL Vitalizer MK2-t plugin!! Dynamics Plugins
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

I love this plug-in it's amazing .... thumbsupthumbsup
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Downloaded the plugin demo today, added just two or three db of a few things on the mix buss, and instantly the mix sounded almost done. What on earth is happening?
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Wells View Post
Downloaded the plugin demo today, added just two or three db of a few things on the mix buss, and instantly the mix sounded almost done. What on earth is happening?
You just tripled their sales.
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

i'm serious - we're all tripping out. i can't figure out what it's doing, but it sure makes my job hilariously easier.
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good question, but if it's doing great things, why care ;-).

Thanks for the opinion, it's going to be a keeper for sure.
Old 4th December 2009
Dont get carried away - it's seems really good, but it is very easy to overcandy - and there is no guarantee it will be the kind of sound a song you are doing actually needs.

It does seem good if your are going for a really "radio" kind of slickness...
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Just a little soft bass, a little mid boost, a little super top, 10 o'clock on the stereo enhancer, and Bob IS your uncle.
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear
I'm looking forward to hearing the plugin, as I used to own the hardware unit for a long time.

I'm very curious though:

Where was all the love for these units back in the day? Did the fact that there's now a software emulation of the hardware suddenly make these tools more effective than before?
Old 4th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Tried the beta on a few mixes and I had to stop using it before I got carried away and un-train my ears to my monitors. (makes you think everything sucks when you turn it off.) Adding just the right amount here and there in the mix process and wow!!! This is one dangerous plugin though...but I will be owning soon. thumbsup Good job!

Two words...

Group Buy?
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

At first glance this seems like a similar tool to the sonic maximizer, no?
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah a sonic enhancer more, maybe a multiband sonic maximizer... Who ever said this is dangerous is right, I treat the hardware like a finalizer.... cept its one that has really good sounding results... not that im saying a finalizer is not aptly capable!
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl516 View Post

Where was all the love for these units back in the day? Did the fact that there's now a software emulation of the hardware suddenly make these tools more effective than before?
HAHAH that was my first thought!! I have always loved most things SPL I really want to hear that Gold Mike they have now... I would guess people were wanting a vitalizer plug-in, thats probably why they created it...
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisma View Post

Group Buy?
Come on everyone GROUP BUY!, GROUP BUY! Group buy, group buy, grp by....
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just a little soft bass, a little mid boost, a little super top, 10 o'clock on the stereo enhancer, and Bob IS your uncle.
Dirk, now you HAVE to add a preset like this in the final release, and call it "Bob IS your uncle"!
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas G View Post
I guess I have bad news for you :-)

A is the analog device
B is the plug in

Oh, and both mixes went through the same crappy cables and converters as a HW comprossor followed. I gotta say one or two millimeter more on the intensy knob and the analog device would sound more present. I found it hard to match.

Andreas
Well, what do you know. I was kinda hoping B was the PI, since it is soooo much more versitile to use. I might buy it. However, it is very easy to over-use the vitalizer and get a sound that is tiring to the ear in the long run, but fantastic for a few seconds. Great care must be taken on the master buss! :-)
Old 4th December 2009
Shy
Lives for gear

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by spl_support View Post
Sound? It´s modeled after Hermann´s (CEO SPL) original privately owned unit and I guess we´ve nailed it
So now you can stop, or greatly minimize the hardware unit manufacture. thumbsup
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm looking forward to hearing the plugin, as I used to own the hardware unit for a long time.

I'm very curious though:

Everyone can easily download the software emulation demo and try it out. Only a few have a dealer that would ship the hardware version for use and abuse...
So the tool is not more effective than before, but SPL is more effective in calling attention to their products... conclusion: we are going to read much more comments about the Vitalizer now than ever before, although it has been around for a long time. Hey... there's even people that may order the Hardware afterwards (or try a second hand unit)!
Old 4th December 2009
Gear Nut

I cannot get the beta to work on Cubase 5 (32bit) / Windows 7 (64bit)...

It gets blacklisted by Cubase... don't know how to solve this. Any idea why this is happening?

Thanks for answering, really anxious to try this plug...

EDIT: Solved by updating iLok/PACE drivers!
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios View Post
However, it is very easy to over-use the vitalizer and get a sound that is tiring to the ear in the long run, but fantastic for a few seconds. Great care must be taken on the master buss! :-)
I agree! I don't use it that much anymore on the stereo buss. I did back then when I bought it and was in the same way ardent like I read here on some post :-)

One has also to be very careful with the bass setting plus I almost never use the stereo widener on the stereo bus. I like the widener sometimes though on mono vocals.
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
At first glance this seems like a similar tool to the sonic maximizer, no?
Actually, it seems it would be more akin to an EQ. It really has more things in common with a Pultec EQ than a sonic maximizer. Subtle phase shift and compression on the low end, tube EQ for the mid tune, inductor based EQ for the top end, built in interaction between the controls... + tube circuit for M/S. All not much more dangerous (if any), than using an EQ on the 2 bus. So, if you'd overuse an EQ on the 2 bus, you'd probably over use the MK2-T on it, too. Use it judiciously as you would a nice passive EQ on the 2 bus... you can get some great results. And it doesn't at all sound like "radio slickness" to me. It sounds great with the right application.

Old 4th December 2009
Gear Nut

from SPL

Guys,
the manuals just arrived... heh
Die Bedienungsanleitungen sind online:

GERMAN MANUAL (DEUTSCHE ANLEITUNG):

ENGLISH MANUAL

Enjoy finding out the details now, sorry for the delay.
Busy times... :-)

The release installer (out Dec 7 / Monday) will have the manuals, of course.
Cheers, Dirk.
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

I installed the demo along with ilok drivers but Samplitude is not recognizing the .dll

strange as I've tried other spl plug as well as having the free attacker installed.
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

I did some more comparisons HW vs plug in. I think the plug in is very good.

One difference I found so far is that the stereo expander seems not to produce the harmonics like the HW. I use the expander sometimes on vocals just to add some harmonics. With the plug there happens nothing. Anyway, it's not a big deal.
Old 4th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
Actually, it seems it would be more akin to an EQ. It really has more things in common with a Pultec EQ than a sonic maximizer. Subtle phase shift and compression on the low end, tube EQ for the mid tune, inductor based EQ for the top end, built in interaction between the controls... + tube circuit for M/S. All not much more dangerous (if any), than using an EQ on the 2 bus. So, if you'd overuse an EQ on the 2 bus, you'd probably over use the MK2-T on it, too. Use it judiciously as you would a nice passive EQ on the 2 bus... you can get some great results. And it doesn't at all sound like "radio slickness" to me. It sounds great with the right application.

I should clarify that I dont think that it does not sound good on a wide variety of material, just that is easily gives that "mastered" curve to things that sounds really "hifi" but maybe isn't the thing for tubey funk or whatnot - it would be great for someone who wants to have instant polish, but it should sound more subtly good on most material if applied carefully (and Andreas G's tips show how to keep it from getting too bright, on digital tracks which hardly need more crispness).

I still am finding it hard to dial in just the right amount as my ear so quickly gets used to the new "clarity" that is easy to go over the top - definately a "listen to it again tomorrow" kind of situation.

A cool unique processor....
Old 4th December 2009
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas G View Post
I did some more comparisons HW vs plug in. I think the plug in is very good.

One difference I found so far is that the stereo expander seems not to produce the harmonics like the HW. I use the expander sometimes on vocals just to add some harmonics. With the plug there happens nothing. Anyway, it's not a big deal.
You mean the stereo expander in the hardware actually distorts the audio? I'd like to hear it.
Old 4th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Oh there was plenty of love. its just not glamorous and isnt 3 rackspaces in size, so people didnt really talk about it. It was also not talked about much because, like the BBE, it is more a secret weapon that was extensively used, at least as far as i know in the NYC mixing scene.
Old 4th December 2009
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajv205 View Post
Oh there was plenty of love. its just not glamorous and isnt 3 rackspaces in size, so people didnt really talk about it. It was also not talked about much because, like the BBE, it is more a secret weapon that was extensively used, at least as far as i know in the NYC mixing scene.
That's funny because for about 7 years, most of what I've read about it every time it was mentioned were lots of contradicting opinions and positive opinions that contradicted themselves. "It's good but not that good", "it does that one thing well, but those other things not so well" etc, I always thought it was some kind of odd "quick mojo" unit like some others. Never actually heard it.
Old 4th December 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suda Badri View Post
Come on everyone GROUP BUY!, GROUP BUY! Group buy, group buy, grp by....
The intro price is already discounted price goes up if you wait.
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Have been testing it today for the whole day and it's a very tricky plugin. With half of my mixes it works like made for them, but on another half it is completely ****ty so it's a very program dependable processor. Especially if your mix has distorted electric guitars (rock mixes) Vitalizer's efficiency really depends on the spectrum of recorded sound. If your guitars are on the darker side with lots of lower mids then this plugin might work really great. But if you've recorded little brighter guitars with less low mids, then they can easily become very thin and your mix also. I definitely managed to make the magic and lots of **** with it, so it definitely isn't a very versatile plugin which would work in any mix. Or even more, I think i's very specific.
Old 5th December 2009
Deleted bd1be4f
Very cool plugin. Just tinkered with it on an existing mix, and it sure is easy to make stuff sound real polished. heh

Looking forward to rooting through the manual to dig into this thing, but either way I sense a purchase coming on...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search