The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SPL Vitalizer MK2-t plugin!! Dynamics Plugins
Old 1st December 2009
Gear Head

If this plugin can deliver 90% sound like bigger hardware brother then it is actually underpriced.

Someone please post some A/B examples...dude with HW unit
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

You are probably right it probably does get you there 90%...

If you want to post up a mix you are working on and a file of it running through the plug-in I can match settings and post it up I guess... probably do it on the weekend?

Ill be interested to see what people think of the difference.... I bought mine with sovtek tubes that someone had replaced and he told me they were the same tubes that came with unit when he swapped them.

Cheers,

Suda
Old 2nd December 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
So first you said you'd buy it at a price of $250. Then you find out it will be around that much as an intro price. Now you don't wanna buy it unless it's $149? Plug-in designers can't win with that attitude.
Consumers should win, not plugin designers. I based those numbers off of a very realistic scenario in the marketplace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
There's plenty of cheap & free plug-ins out there. Go get 'em. This trend of whining about plug-in pricing on GS is irksome. Plug-in designers wanna make a living, too. Next you'll be wanting to download your music for free, too... oh... wait...
I didn't want a cheap plugin. In fact, I said I was willing to spend $150 on such a nice plugin.

And... I don't download music illegally. Your conjecture is totally wrong.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maky357 View Post
If this plugin can deliver 90% sound like bigger hardware brother then it is actually underpriced.
You could always leave them a tip heh
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

hmm, in my opinion it is overpriced regarding the hw price!
i would only spent 250 bucks for something that in a 2-3000$ range as hardware!! i mean: come on....were talking about a plugin!

people always complain about some plugin companies working with good looking UI's and that the user is just biased looking at it
but in the end being that way themselves!

250$ - never!!!!
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
You could always leave them a tip heh
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis View Post
+1 on prices.

I decided not to buy the new Elysia plugin even with the intro price.

Too many plugins beeing released every month. I hope SPL and Brainworx make those things a little cheaper. So we could afford to buy them all.
+1 there mate... I just couldn't hear the magic on that plugin. It sounded very crisp and clean.. almost unnatural, to me.

I too believe that prices are getting out of hand. I have spent a fortune on DSP cards that have all sorts of issues; they update drivers and 1/2 your plug's are out of action and all they can say is 'sorry'. I am really looking forward to my next computer with all native plug's.
Old 3rd December 2009
Lives for gear

here is a plug-in/hardware comparison...

enjoy

Attached Thumbnails
SPL Vitalizer MK2-t plugin!!-vitalizer_setting.jpg  
Attached Files

MK2T_A.m4a (2.19 MB, 721 views)

MK2T_B.m4a (2.19 MB, 663 views)

Old 3rd December 2009
Lives for gear

for those comparing with hardware, let's not forget that the plug-in, as Dirk said, "it´s modeled after Hermann´s (CEO SPL) original privately owned unit".

There may be little differences from other units, as often happens with hardware gear.
Old 3rd December 2009
Gear Nut

from SPL

We had 3 hardware units in the studio for our final listening sessions, and the differences between the 3 hardware units were MUCH bigger than the difference between Hermann´s hardware and the software.

The Vitalizer has been around for more than 18 years, with a lot of changes based on improvements, parts and pots that had to be replaced (because they were not made anymore), etc.

Dirk.
Old 3rd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas G View Post
here is a plug-in/hardware comparison...
enjoy
Monitoring on Westone IEMs... B sounds more full in low mids, mids... sounds more open in the high end.

Might also be a good test to try to match the two in terms of audible processing rather than by visual settings of the knobs.

Wouldn't really matter which is which to me, though, as I like what the beta version plug-in is doing to my tracks.

Thanks for the comparo.

Old 3rd December 2009
Gear Nut

from SPL

You should definitely try to find a setting you like with the hardware, then try to "match" it with the software. This is what WE do when we compare.

It really doesn´t matter if a knob shows 5.2 or 4.8 when the sound is right, and analog knobs have pretty big differences. That´s why 2 hardware units will always sound "a bit" different even with the knobs being set to the identical settings (optically).

You will find out that you will be able to match the hardware sound exactly with the plugin, if your HW model is an MK-2T as well.

Finally, make sure LEVELS are the same. B sounds a bit louder to me. Hardware units often boost the output level (0.4db to 0.7dB usually), so as soon as the unit is in the audio chain "everything sounds better already"...
A bit louder to most ears sounds a bit better...

Also, your wiring and converters could alter the level a little bit, etc.

In the end these tests prove two things:

- good software emulations can bring you quite exactly where your hardware brings you.
- trust your EARS not your eyes when mixing. heh

Cheers, Dirk.
Old 3rd December 2009

The demo is now available:

SPL Software Download

We will have it for sale starting the 7th (as will other dealers).
Old 3rd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spl_support View Post
You should definitely try to find a setting you like with the hardware, then try to "match" it with the software. This is what WE do when we compare.
I did! But I didn't go scientifically about it.

Quote:
You will find out that you will be able to match the hardware sound exactly with the plugin, if your HW model is an MK-2T as well.
I'm fine with the little differences which are left. The HW of course was a MK-2T, just 10 years old and some scalings are different anyway.

Quote:
Finally, make sure LEVELS are the same. B sounds a bit louder to me. Hardware units often boost the output level (0.4db to 0.7dB usually), so as soon as the unit is in the audio chain "everything sounds better already"...
A bit louder to most ears sounds a bit better...
Actually the RMS of b is 0.3dB lower, just saying heh

Quote:
Also, your wiring and converters could alter the level a little bit, etc.
After the Vitalizer there was a SSL hardware compressor so both mixes went through the same DAAD cycle.

Quote:
In the end these tests prove two things:

- good software emulations can bring you quite exactly where your hardware brings you.
- trust your EARS not your eyes when mixing. heh

Cheers, Dirk.
Yep!

Andreas
Old 3rd December 2009
Gear Nut

from SPL

Cool, thanks!

I only listened to it on my office laptop with headphones, but what I said is my "general oppinion" about HW / SW comparisons.

You did a nice job with the post! Thanks!**

Dirk.
Old 3rd December 2009
I found the manual for the real unit (which I downloaded from the website), to be very helpful in getting to understand the processes.

It can, without a doubt, instantly make things sound "better" but it seems hard to dial it in without going too far or burning out your ears with treble.
Also it seems like a lot of the stuff that it helps with should really be dealt with in the mix beforehand???

Any tips on not overdoing it would be welcome.

I'm not sure I can be trusted with this.....
Old 3rd December 2009
Lives for gear

B sounds more open and present. Should be the hardware. Unless cheap converters or lousy cables were used :-) A is a little bit louder, but just a bit.
Old 3rd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
It can, without a doubt, instantly make things sound "better" but it seems hard to dial it in without going too far or burning out your ears with treble.
I know what you mean, the cliche goes like the vitalizer makes everything bright and brittle its only useful when your mix is muddy or something. In my sample I tried actually the opposite... makeing a rather dark mix but still in a musical sense (hopfully) to relativize this argument. The key is the mid-hightune knob. If you turn it to the left, betwin 14k and 22k you kind of deharsh a source, then you can build up the presence with the LC EQ and the Intensity knob, lastely balance the Bass in (it gets thinned out from the former process).
Quote:
Also it seems like a lot of the stuff that it helps with should really be dealt with in the mix beforehand???
Absolutly! I wouldn't settle on a vitalizer on the stereo bus from the get-go, it's cool for certain things but it's not a magic bullet.

Quote:
Any tips on not overdoing it would be welcome.
Try it on harsh vocals with the setting I discribed or to finetune vocals in general.

For string, backing vocals or synth in the deepth of a dense mix -> you can make them present without stepping on the other instruments but it seems they still remain in the deepth.

General use it sparingly.
Old 3rd December 2009
Ok thanks - I'll try out some of your suggestions - seems like you know how to be it's master, not the other way around...

So you find it to be useful on various busses just as much as mixbuss duties - maybe is could help more subtly there...

(I don't want to end up a Vitalizer crackhead - my ears took 10 minutes just to return to the sides of my head!)
Old 3rd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
(I don't want to end up a Vitalizer crackhead - my ears took 10 minutes just to return to the sides of my head!)
Hahaha, you won't, you already realized the pitfalls!
Old 3rd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios View Post
B sounds more open and present. Should be the hardware. Unless cheap converters or lousy cables were used :-) A is a little bit louder, but just a bit.
I guess I have bad news for you :-)

A is the analog device
B is the plug in

Oh, and both mixes went through the same crappy cables and converters as a HW comprossor followed. I gotta say one or two millimeter more on the intensy knob and the analog device would sound more present. I found it hard to match.

Andreas
Old 3rd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guess I have bad news for you :-)

A is the analog device
B is the plug in

Oh, and both mixes went through the same crappy cables and converters as a HW comprossor followed. I gotta say one or two millimeter more on the intensy knob and the analog device would sound more present. I found it hard to match.

Andreas
Thanks for taking the time to do that... Im surprised!

Woud be nice to get a few more samples though!!! from others, ill try get some soon...
Suda
Old 3rd December 2009
Lives for gear

I think I actually owned the hardware one some years ago. The bass enhancement was really wonderful. An normal kick became a kick that would shake satan out of his foxhole. The treble stuff I wasn't so sure about...sounded weird to me. Not ugly, but very ABBA like, if that makes sense. A bit Swedish...
Old 3rd December 2009
Lives for gear

Hey Andreas,

Did you swap the tubes in the time you had the MK2-T? If so can you tell me if they were sovteks? I might buy a couple and attempt to swap them out of mine.... I never can tell if the tubes have had it till its too late hahaha
Old 3rd December 2009
Lives for gear

I finally was able to give the beta a test drive yesterday and neither the 'drive' or any of the bass compression stuff was working.

On a Dual G5, Logic 9.

Stef
Old 3rd December 2009
Gear Nut

from SPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowak View Post
I finally was able to give the beta a test drive yesterday and neither the 'drive' or any of the bass compression stuff was working.

On a Dual G5, Logic 9.

Stef
Did you turn up the PROCESS / INTENSITY at all??
Then they will work...
SPL
Old 3rd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suda Badri View Post
Thanks for taking the time to do that... Im surprised!
I think it's just a setting thing. If I would have tweaked the analog device a hair more present than the plug in, I guess there would have been no surprises :-)

Quote:
Did you swap the tubes in the time you had the MK2-T?
No, I still use the original tube. I have no clue which brand it is... Sovtek?
Old 3rd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think it's just a setting thing. If I would have tweaked the analog device a hair more present than the plug in, I guess there would have been no surprises :-)

No, I still use the original tube. I have no clue which brand it is... Sovtek?

Thanks again mate! I have acess to sovteks fairly cheap in NZ so I might give them a whirl...

Even if there was no difference in the sound Id be fairly surprised!!

Cheers,

Suda
Old 3rd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llitsor View Post
Evidently not a problem in 2009 at all then..

Hardly an isolated example either, im sure. I would tolerate it for a final paid up product perhaps, because I understand that it is somewhat of a necessary evil these days. But its bad enough assuming that everyone should have an iLok key. Made worse still when I guess you deem it no problem for people to just go buy one and endure all the that potential inconvenience just for the sake of checking out a 14 day demo.

I'd really like to have checked this out to compare it with my hardware MK2T. And quite possibly have bought the final product too if it met with expectations. Yet now I find myself distinctly unimpressed before I have even had the opportunity to try it out.
Well said... ilok is so 2005 imo.
Old 3rd December 2009
Lives for gear

Working thanks.

Stef

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search