The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SPL Vitalizer MK2-t plugin!! Dynamics Plugins
Old 30th September 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob99 View Post
When I insert the plugin into the audio path, it dulls the sound.
I haven't read all the posts to notice if some else has mentioned this.

The manual states:

Default Settings
The following are the default settings of the plug-in and they have
no impact on the audio signal:
• DRIVE at “0” (center position)
• BASS at “0” (center position)
• COMPRESSION at OFF (hard left)
• MID-HI TUNE at 3 kHz (center position)
• PROCESS at OFF (hard left)
• LC-EQ at LOW (hard left)
• INTENSITY at OFF (hard left)
• STEREO EXPANDER at OFF (hard left)
• OUTPUT at “0” (center position)

To repeat

"no impact on the audio signal"

I have found the opposite to be true.
Inserting this plugin removes the openness, solid lows, the detailed highes, the snap, punch and clarity of the original sound. No matter what I tried, I could not bring back the quality of the original and work from there. I found myself trying first to compensate for the damage this plugin does to my tracks, let alone trying to "improve" or make acceptable adjustments.

It was easy to make the sound brighter and louder and thinner. Perhaps this plugin is only for adjusting very, very poor audio sources where there is nothing good in the original.

Also, there is no function to copy your settings from one memory button to another. If you wish to compare settings, you have to manually recreated them in another memory button, and then make the adjustments. This is so basic, how could a programmer not think it important? And another plugin design that does not allow you to save settings to disk so you may recall them in another application or back them up for security.

Very disappointing.

I own SPL hardware which I quite like.

I tried the plugin in Nuendo 4 and Samplitude 10.

my 2 cents
so, if i understand you correct here and please point it out if i dont, you say that the plugin is not modeled equally as the hardwar? would you say the hardware is better? i have seen one second hand not to far away from where i live.. i was thinking of getting it.. thanks for your input
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrospekta View Post
i fail to see the benefit of this, its rather a deal breaker... imho...
.. but why would you want to have something in your signal chain that is not actually only doing what it should do?
Sorry but it WAS designed to do this. That´s why they modeled it. Altering the frequency balance is one of the things it does.
Old 19th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl516 View Post
I'm looking forward to hearing the plugin, as I used to own the hardware unit for a long time.

I'm very curious though:

Where was all the love for these units back in the day? Did the fact that there's now a software emulation of the hardware suddenly make these tools more effective than before?
I think there WAS love for these back in the day.
I remember going to Portland Music in '91, and asking for a mastering device for my then "cassette" 8 track project. The salesman was tripping over himself, slobbering with excitement about the original (pre-tube) stereo vitalizer. The 80s was the era of enhancers and exciters (think BBE & Aphex). He was all over SPL, calling it the greatest enhancing EQ ever. He played a bunch of professional pop/rock mixes for me on their best monitors. Every song excerpt improved noticeably. I used it on every song. I always hoped I'd be able to afford buying the hardware, especially when the tube version became available.

I now have it in software!
Old 19th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
Quite bad it does not work in Samplitude. The .dll is not recognised after being put in the plugin folder (many other users report this as well)
I know this was an old comment...

But presently, it works perfectly in Samplitude ProX.
I've been using it. (64-bit, Win7-64)
Old 9th October 2013
Got this plugin a while back. Talk about secret weapon! Woops, now I revealed it ..

What you can do to bass and high end as well as stereo image is pretty damn nice. The bass section especially is an instant kick enhancer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search