The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SPL Vitalizer MK2-t plugin!! Dynamics Plugins
Old 20th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicogrubert View Post
That would be very interesting to know...
Don't know about the BBE but the aphex is an exciter which creates new highs and adds them to what is there. The vitalizer does not add new spectral material, it seems to be an eq with interacting, multiple bands.

Best, Pat
Old 20th December 2009
Gear Addict

AFAIK the BBE is an exciter, too.
Old 20th December 2009
Gear Addict

[QUOTE=nicogrubert;4905755]AFAIK the BBE is an exciter, too.[/QUOTE

I think not. I believe it does something with phase, but I don't know exactly. Aphex is an exciter, I know. I just wanted to know how Vitalizer related to this.

So Vitalizer it just an advanced EQ (with some bass compression)? That could explain why some of us (sometimes) don't find it useful. That's when we have already managed to EQ the mix well. Plugins that add something could be differerent here.
Old 20th December 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombuur View Post

I think not. I believe it does something with phase, but I don't know exactly. Aphex is an exciter, I know. I just wanted to know how Vitalizer related to this.

So Vitalizer it just an advanced EQ (with some bass compression)? That could explain why some of us (sometimes) don't find it useful. That's when we have already managed to EQ the mix well. Plugins that add something could be differerent here.
Its not just an eq and compression. To me it does sound a bit BBE-ish but much more flexible, and with the extra features I am finding it much more useful. I bought it.

the SPL description is a bit wishy washy about what it actually does, but there is this description in the manual:

The way it works is, in principle, opposite to the way
compression formats (MP3, etc.) do: instead of deleting allegedly
unnecessary information, it enhances it. In order to do that, the
Vitalizer takes into account the perception of a frequency in rela-
tion to its volume. By shifting louder frequencies slightly in time,
softer and formerly overlapping sounds are “unmasked” and
made audible. The audible effect of unmasking could be described
in general terms as more clarity and depth in a mix. Lows sound
more powerful and better defined, mids more focused and dif-
ferentiated and highs more vivid and brilliant.

As far as I know that is exciter type stuff, I believe its also multiband, has some loudness-type eq happening, has basic compression, saturation, as well as the stereo-enhancer.

I do wonder what effect it is going to have on phase when used on multi-mic'ed sources, but I'm just going to have to trust my ears. So far I have only played around with it.

matt
Old 20th December 2009
FBM
Gear Addict

Ooh almost the same post 1 minute difference strange!

No this is not how it works! From the manual:

One of the Vitalizer’s main features is the unmasking of overlapping
sounds. The way it works is, in principle, opposite to the way
compression formats (MP3, etc.) do: instead of deleting allegedly
unnecessary information, it enhances it. In order to do that, the
Vitalizer takes into account the perception of a frequency in relation
to its volume. By shifting louder frequencies slightly in time,
softer and formerly overlapping sounds are “unmasked” and
made audible. The audible effect of unmasking could be described
in general terms as more clarity and depth in a mix. Lows sound
more powerful and better defined, mids more focused and differentiated
and highs more vivid and brilliant. It can be used on
individual channels to emphasize the sound character of instruments
or vocals. The clarity and definition achieved guarantee an
adequately perceptible presence in the mix.

Try this:
And before I didn't had the software I used the Waves C4 all bands bypass except for 60 Hz (if that is what you like) then Uad Pultec-pro and a stereo width plug-in after that. The Vitalizer plug-in is much easier of course, but this comes very close. For the hard and soft bass I played with the attack and release times of the C4.

Download the manual:
http://www.spl.info/fileadmin/user_u...lizer_BA_E.pdf
Old 20th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
I do wonder what effect it is going to have on phase when used on multi-mic'ed sources, but I'm just going to have to trust my ears. So far I have only played around with it.

matt
I read somewhere that the effect is mono compatible. I took that to mean that phase was a non issue. Or is it?? Genuine question.. thumbsup
Old 20th December 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llitsor View Post
I read somewhere that the effect is mono compatible. I took that to mean that phase was a non issue. Or is it?? Genuine question.. thumbsup
I was wondering about phase between dry and wet, not between L&R on stereo channels

matt
Old 20th December 2009
FBM
Gear Addict

From Paul W. SOS:

The enhancement effect produced by the Mk2-T is level dependent, so the first control, Drive, sets the input gain to match signals between -20dB and +6dB in amplitude. The more Drive you apply, the more intense is the effect of processing -- but keep an eye on the clip LED to make sure you don't apply too much.

Next comes the Bass Sound knob, which has a centre null position and is moved anti-clockwise to increase the Soft bass effect or clockwise to increase the Tight bass effect. The Bass Compression control affects only the added LF component, so it doesn't influence the sound of the high end at all. A blue LED shows when compression is taking place.

The Mid/High Tune control affects the mid-range enhancement and also the signal being fed to the high LC-EQ. Turning the control tunes the Mid/High filter from 1kHz to 22kHz, though I find that frequencies of between 3kHz and 10kHz work best for most material. The process involves amplitude-dependent phase shift coupled with a rise in level above the set frequency. (The shape of the frequency response curve is apparently derived from the well-known Fletcher Munsen loudness curves, which describe how the human hearing system responds to different sound levels.) When material that is already too sharp-sounding is being processed, the Mid/High control can be set to a higher frequency (generally 10kHz or above), in which case the offending frequencies are below the filter frequency and are damped as the Process control setting is increased.

The Process control governs the overall contribution of the enhanced bass plus high/mid components and simultaneously damps the mid-range to produce the loudness curve mentioned earlier. To take care of the high end of the spectrum there's the LC equaliser, which has two controls: LC-EQ, for setting the filter frequency (2kHz to 20kHz); and Intensity, for setting the amount of EQ boost. The idea behind using the coil mentioned earlier is to recreate the sound of vintage studio equipment, where the saturation effects of coils and audio transformers often played a greater part than the valves in shaping the sound. In broad terms, the LC equaliser is used to add presence and 'air' to a mix and, unlike the bass and mid controls, it still has an effect when the Process control is turned fully down. That's because this filter uses a mix of the original signal and the mid/high filtered signal as its source.

The final control is for Stereo Width, and it operates on a very simple and well-known principle. Some of the left-channel signal is inverted in phase and fed into the right channel, while some of the right-channel signal is reversed in phase and fed into the left channel. This has the effect of widening the stereo image beyond the speakers, but you have to be careful not to go too far, otherwise centre sounds start to drop in level. Though simple, this process has the advantage of being both effective and fully mono compatible, and the designers claim that using a valve in this stage adds depth to the sound, while reducing the sharpness of off-centre sounds. The Active bypass switch takes the enhancement and stereo expander out of circuit, but the stereo expander can be used on its own if required, simply by making the effect active and then setting the Process and Intensity controls to minimum.
Old 20th December 2009
Gear Addict

Thanks. I am wiser. There is nothing in common with Aphex, but probably some of phase thing is what BBE uses too. Finally, I find it very interesting if the stereo widener is mono compatible. I will have to check and compare with the other plugins I have. That alone would be a good thing to have.
Old 23rd December 2009

Just a heads up... the introductory special has been extended until Dec 31st.
Old 23rd December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Just a heads up... the introductory special has been extended until Dec 31st.

but hey tony i trying to contact you from december 13th !!!!....

i sent you 3 emails...did you get them !!??
please check you mail a reply me back !!

sorry for the OFF topic guys but it seems only way to get in touch with mr.Belmont
Old 24th December 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfinder View Post
but hey tony i trying to contact you from december 13th !!!!....

i sent you 3 emails...did you get them !!??
please check you mail a reply me back !!

sorry for the OFF topic guys but it seems only way to get in touch with mr.Belmont
I just got one from you today... which I replied to before seeing this. I have no idea about the other two???
Old 29th December 2009
Here for the gear

I'm thinking about buying this before the new year. Have only used this on track and it worked great. Anyone have any impressions on this plug after the first wow-factor worn off? Just want to hear opinions from people that have been using this on sessions on the regular.

Thanks
Old 29th December 2009
Gear Addict

My demo time expired Yesterday. Never got any wov reaction. There were times when the vitalizer seemed to quickly add something, but tweaking some of my other plugins I could get similar or better results. So I decided not to get it.
Old 29th December 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
My demo time expired Yesterday. Never got any wov reaction. There were times when the vitalizer seemed to quickly add something, but tweaking some of my other plugins I could get similar or better results. So I decided not to get it.
Which other plugins?
Old 29th December 2009
Gear Maniac

mine recently expired , well i did get the wow factor, seemed to have worned off,, not sure if im going to buy the plugin , i need to hear some
more positives about it...
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Here's a real quick test I did with the demo. I'm on the fence as well about this plug

I wish I had done more research! I thought I had more time left. Thought there was a beta------then a regular demo 14 days.

Anyway here is my very unscientific test. Reg is with e-Pure eq and vit is the Vitalizer insted of eq. Gotta say the vit one sounds more"done" to me.
Attached Files

Drive Time vit bit01.mp3 (2.80 MB, 817 views)

Drive Time reg bit01.mp3 (2.82 MB, 835 views)

Old 31st December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusic View Post
Which other plugins?
I tried various things, but above all the Waves Stereo Shuffle helped me. When someone here said he wanted the Vitalizer for stereo widening, I tested what I already had in my bag. PSP, Nugen and the Waves stuff I just bought two weeks ago. Surprisingly I found all of these could widen stereo without any loss when testing on/off of the effect while my monitors were switched to mono. The Waves Shuffle also affects bass frequency and does I nice thing. For treble I mainly tested some of my PSP stuff or simply used an EQ.

I know these plugins may work on different principles than Vitalizer. But what counts is how good the final mix sounds to me. This in turn may be very dependent on how you mixed everything up until the stage of adding Vitalizer or something else. Hence sometimes the Vitalizer may be useful, sometimes not.

Anyway, experimenting with this I became much wiser and found out I could improve the mix a lot by changing EQ on several tracks, particularly cutting in the low mids. I also believe this is a better way rather than applying Vitalizer as a rescue strategy.
Old 31st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsung View Post
Anyway here is my very unscientific test. Reg is with e-Pure eq and vit is the Vitalizer insted of eq. Gotta say the vit one sounds more"done" to me.
Don't forget that the Vitalizer is a tool that incorporates more process than only EQ. It's a combination of compression AND equalization, with some special filters and a tube-powered circuit.

I'm not a techy guy, but that's just to point that it's the combination of all these process that makes the difference.

But in the end, what counts is the fact that you feel your mix has improved in a nice way, and that's really all that counts.

Quote:
Anyway, experimenting with this I became much wiser and found out I could improve the mix a lot by changing EQ on several tracks, particularly cutting in the low mids. I also believe this is a better way rather than applying Vitalizer as a rescue strategy.
Well, I don't think that the Vitalizer is something aimed at "rescueing" a mix, not at all.

It's just a tool that will add some more "shine" to an ALREADY well done mix.

Don't forget of not over-abuse it. Use it subtlety, that's how it becomes essential.
Old 31st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Slash View Post
Don't forget of not over-abuse it. Use it subtlety, that's how it becomes essential.
Agree... it's definitely just as easy to over use or abuse a typical EQ as it is the Vitalizer.
Old 1st January 2010
Lives for gear

I got it yesterday without even checking it... It's on Greg Well's head ! will report what it's like asap (wife won't let me go to work till tomorrow at least)
Mac
Old 1st January 2010
Lives for gear

Ok, I'm messing with it now.

Sounds promising, nice gentle air, was looking for a kind of exciter for AU, this seems to be doing it good on vocals, great sparkle, good on a mix too (only time will tell how good heh need to live with it for a while now).

Would be nice to see the actual value when you touch/move the pointer over a knob ...

Feels good overall
Old 2nd January 2010
Lives for gear
i got it. used to have the hardware unit. could come in handy, especially with the mono instance.
Old 2nd January 2010
Gear Maniac

On the SPL site, it says that the 25% off launch discount has been extended until Jan 4th.
Old 2nd January 2010
Gear Maniac

I went for it, no time to really check it out yet however.
Old 5th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Dweller View Post
On the SPL site, it says that the 25% off launch discount has been extended until Jan 4th.
Today? I don't see the discount.
Old 5th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
Today is the 5th,
but talk to Tony (High Profile).
No matter, he got the best price...

G
Old 5th January 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
I noticed that yesterday too. I'm guessing that must have ended at 12AM yesterday.
Old 11th January 2010
Lives for gear

downloaded the demo lic.... great, BUT
the plugin gives me error# 7077 saying not enough dsp, with an PT HD3 , with no tracks in the session.
I can check it out in rtas but on my master bus, I would love to stay tdm.
tdm multimono works but then theres no stereo width control then
anyone seen this yet
Old 12th January 2010
Gear Addict

Works fine on my HD rig on a Mac. Just make sure your meeting the software specs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search