The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Great River product? Summing Mixers
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Great River product?

See in this months SOS an Mercenary ad for a new Great River product saying "Coming Soon: a new perspective on DAW recording". Looks like a buss summing mixer, or small mult channel mic pre/mixer???? Don't see any posts on GS yet. Whats the skinny??
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Head

whatever it is, I'm sure I will want one!
Old 11th November 2009
Great River ME MixMaster Recording Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfuzz View Post
See in this months SOS an Mercenary ad for a new Great River product saying "Coming Soon: a new perspective on DAW recording". Looks like a buss summing mixer, or small mult channel mic pre/mixer???? Don't see any posts on GS yet. Whats the skinny??
Its a 20X2 Recording Mixer with 4 newly designed Great River Mic amps, complete with console inspired Monitor/Master section.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/4677224-post129.html
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/4678630-post135.html

Hope this helps explain the Great River ME MixMaster for you.

Also: here is a picture Jules took of the 1st Proto-type @ AES NYC.

Things will of course change, as the design is now 3RU.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Nut

wow... I have been looking fo this kind of flexibility but did not find it... seems amazing!!!

I guess it will be pricey tho...
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Wow Dans been busy!
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Addict

this thing has considered EVERYTHING that ALWAYS crops up as an important missing feature on every summing (for lack of a better descript) mixer i've ever seen. it'll eliminate the inevitable response, '"if you need it for "that," you simply buy "that," because it was intended to do "this."' and it always sounds SO weak when they go there, doesn't it? funny thing is, it ALWAYS seems so simple & obvious to me...

ml
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Just so I don't work my self into a frenzy, could you please "guestimate" availability and price?

Seriously. Help me please. I'm starting to dream about how this box will solve all my problems and bring stability to the globe.

thank you
Old 11th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfurry View Post
Just so I don't work my self into a frenzy, could you please "guestimate" availability and price?

Seriously. Help me please. I'm starting to dream about how this box will solve all my problems and bring stability to the globe.

thank you
We’re hoping to have it shipping during the first quarter of 2010 and shooting for a price point of mid $5k USD.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
We’re hoping to have it shipping during the first quarter of 2010 and shooting for a price point of mid $5k USD.
Wow! Looks like someone finally nailed it. flexibility, portability, and a sound. Are there master inserts?
Old 11th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by konkaos View Post
Are there master inserts?
Indeed, there are.

Transformer Balanced Master Inserts.

Complete with Bypass switch.
Old 11th November 2009
BT_
Gear Head

I am currently mixing a record on the MixMaster proto you see in the pics..there is several levels of iron you can apply to a mix with the unit..

if you want easy iron,use 5-20 which fold down to a pair of transformers...

need more iron,just add 1-4,8 more transformers....

if you would like ITB transparent,just you the monitor path from 1-2 in the daw,super clear...

the unit sounds the biz...no sh!t...

Master section and metering like it should be..

Old 11th November 2009
Jax
Lives for gear

I'm not understanding why panning is limited to 5 positions instead of being fully sweepable. It seems like a limited (though useful) design. What was the thinking behind the panning design?
Old 11th November 2009
BT_
Gear Head

panning on 5-20 is done by an encoder not a "sweep-able pot",can't have 127 positions...just hard left,10:00,12:00,2:00 hard right...
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
I'm not understanding why panning is limited to 5 positions instead of being fully sweepable. It seems like a limited (though useful) design. What was the thinking behind the panning design?
If you absolutely need to pan a few elements to 71% left and 30% R (maybe you're spatially lining up toms to overheads...fine), do that in your DAW and pass those stems to hard L/R channels in the 5-20 section.

A lot can be said for L/C/R panning. I could have lived without the 10 and 2 o clock positions. That's a BT thing

Channels 1-4 can be panned on a pot, but in my experience using this box 1-4 get kick/snare/vocal/bass which all land in the middle anyhow...
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'm still waiting for a Great River Compressor to come out.

This looks cool though.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT_ View Post
panning on 5-20 is done by an encoder not a "sweep-able pot",can't have 127 positions...just hard left,10:00,12:00,2:00 hard right...
hmmm dont know if i like this design choice. that makes panning very limited and using stereo stems in order to battle this ends up in doubling the channel count.
personally i could not mix with these panning limitations.
Old 11th November 2009
BT_
Gear Head

just use the pan in your daw...limitation eliminated..you are not limited to those 5 positions...

Old 11th November 2009
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon View Post
If you absolutely need to pan a few elements to 71% left and 30% R (maybe you're spatially lining up toms to overheads...fine), do that in your DAW and pass those stems to hard L/R channels in the 5-20 section.
Nope. If I'm buying a mixer to essentially avoid how my DAW handles audio, it should be able to pan wherever I want. There are very few mixers that don't offer fully swept panning, even at 1/10th the price, on ALL channels.

Was the panning design a cost saving issue? Would people be willing to pay $6000 instead of $5000 for full panning ability? They probably would. Does fully sweepable panning create some kind of design problem for GR? I would think not.

I would take this thing more seriously if every channel could pan anywhere. I understand that L/C/R panning works for some people, but it would be a limitation to me.

It'd be great to hear from Dan Kennedy about this.
Old 11th November 2009
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
just use the pan in your daw...limitation eliminated..you are not limited to those 5 positions...

To me that misses that point. What if you don't particularly like the sound of the stereo field in a DAW environment? I don't. If you're buying a mixer to escape sonic limitations, the mixer shouldn't create another one for you, nor ask you to live with a compromise.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

IMHO, extra panning positions is not an issue for those who would use this considering it's not a fully functional console w/ eq on each channel, etc. It's gonna be used as basically a summing box during a mix.
Old 11th November 2009
BT_
Gear Head

we understand the unit will not work for everybody...it is intended to be used with a daw,if you do not like daws ,chances are it is not the box for you....

we could go on and on with features and just end up with..guess what ??

a console..

Old 11th November 2009
Gear Nut

Sounds very cool. Not something I need but still a great looking product. I just hope this doesn't delay the release of the compressor :-)

-Cameron
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

...wich would leave me with 2 outputs for any mono instrument. basically wasting thousands of dollars when thinking of high quality converters.
i totally understand that they try to keep this box simple in order to keep cost down somehow. but pan is a really essential function...just my personal opinion.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
...wich would leave me with 2 outputs for any mono instrument. basically wasting thousands of dollars when thinking of high quality converters.
Not trying to stir an empty pot here, but what you should really be saying is you would use two outputs for any mono instrument that you're trying to put in "No-Man's-Land", as Terry Manning calls it. And really, you don't even have to do that. Assign those channels to 10'o'clock or 2'o'clock.

Why not pair up your NML channels and send 'em out a pair? I don't understand the frustration here...how much stuff are you putting in between one side and the center? The whole mix? If so, I think you've got other problems that this box wouldn't solve anyway.

The point of this box is that you mix into it. Not with it. You can track with it, too. And monitor.

Quote:
i totally understand that they try to keep this box simple in order to keep cost down somehow. but pan is a really essential function...just my personal opinion.
No, it's not to keep the cost down. It's done this way because we wanted 5-20 to be digitally assigned, save real estate, and we wanted something where we could happily USE THE COMPUTER. If the idea was to keep costs down it would be a box full of Mogami and resistors, not a box full of iron.

Sorry if I'm coming off as a bit harsh...I just don't understand folks who immediately shoot something down that they've never used, or even been in a room with.
Old 12th November 2009
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon View Post
I don't understand the frustration here...how much stuff are you putting in between one side and the center? The whole mix? If so, I think you've got other problems that this box wouldn't solve anyway.
Yeah, I guess there's no point in panning anything 50 or 75% along with the other choices. Sorry, but the panning is limited. It was a poor design choice, IMHO.
Quote:
No, it's not to keep the cost down. It's done this way because we wanted 5-20 to be digitally assigned, save real estate, and we wanted something where we could happily USE THE COMPUTER.
If it meant fully sweepable panning, I'd rather have the MM take up more space, even if it might be 4RU or even 5 instead of 3.

Quote:
Sorry if I'm coming off as a bit harsh...I just don't understand folks who immediately shoot something down that they've never used, or even been in a room with.
All it took was reading the feature set to know that the panning wasn't what it should be for me. No need to be in the room with the thing. I'm sure it sounds great. If the panning gets a redesign, even such that there are added positions for 8 and 4 o'clock, I'll be much more interested.

I'm sure a great deal of hard work went in the MM and I don't mean to diminish the value of the effort, but expecting everyone to be happy with its shortcomings - and suggesting that we should adopt another method of mixing to accommodate them - is unrealistic.
Old 12th November 2009
BT_
Gear Head

ok,to let you know we are listening to your input regarding panning on 5-20..and I can say this, it is now under evaluation...anything is possible..

Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Anyone got good closeup pics of the front panel?

Thnx
Wiggy
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
ok,to let you know we are listening to your input regarding panning on 5-20..and I can say this, it is now under evaluation...anything is possible..

now thats good news. i think panning is the most important element n mixing - except volume. love it when companies listen to their customers :-)
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Anyone got good closeup pics of the front panel?

Thnx
Wiggy
Jules' AES photos thread:

Jules' NYC AES 2009 photos

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...5&d=1257615991
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

That looks amazing. That would replace about 3 things in my studio and up my game considerably. Looking very forward to this. Great work guys.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search