The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Great River product? Summing Mixers
Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear

where is this thing?
Old 18th March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sput View Post
I read somewhere (golden ears???) about an experiment with panning and the results where surprising (for me and the writer):
We are WAY less sensitive to panning that we like to think. WAY WAY LESS. Meaning you can tell the difference between a 3 db cut in 1k and 1k2 and won't even notice a kinda severe change in panning.
It's physics, ladies and gentlemen, so don't play around too much with the panner pot. I mean, panning is a quarter of a mix, but the difference between 58 and 65 in PT is just negligible! FOR REAL!
The best mixing engineer that has set a foot on my studio used the center A LOT. More than I ever imagined. His mixes were nothing short of stunning (and wide too!).
5 position pot? Why not? That's all I need. But I have a console anyway...
All Channels [including 5-20] are fully pan able now.
Old 18th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
All Channels [including 5-20] are fully pan able now.
Yeah, I read your post. I was just pointing out that the 5 pos pan pot was not a design failure, as somebody mentioned. Actually, if you are gonna use those a lot it's kinda handy for recalling.
Old 9th April 2010
Gear Head

Four months now of salivating over these posts...wondering when the Great River MixMaster will be available...please do tell us ballpark ETA on this dream box!!
Old 9th April 2010
Lives for gear

i was comparing the equinox to the chandler mini mixer but this unit throws a monkey wrench into the whole equation. the feature set is awesome on this thing. if it sounds as good as the chandler, i will buy one asap. when is the ETA?
Old 9th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrymusic View Post
Four months now of salivating over these posts...wondering when the Great River MixMaster will be available...please do tell us ballpark ETA on this dream box!!
Dan Kennedy is "up to his ass in circuit board design" as I type this. Attached are the final drawings of the MM20.

Enjoy.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf chassis3.pdf (179.9 KB, 1341 views)
Old 9th April 2010
Gear Head

WOW!

Thanks for the drawings-this piece is going to fill every gap in my setup!! Great work guys-time to start selling some gear and clearing out a 3 space area in the sweet spotrack
Old 9th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrymusic View Post
Thanks for the drawings-this piece is going to fill every gap in my setup!! Great work guys-time to start selling some gear and clearing out a 3 space area in the sweet spotrack
You're welcome! That was the plan...to have a box that fills the many needs, requests and functions in the majority of DAW studios.
Old 9th April 2010
Gear Nut

I'm really glad to hear that this device is still planned to come to market after being off the radar for a little while.

I work in a recording studio where we do most of our main tracking in our main room (40 channel API console). Towards the end of projects things usually split up during oversubs between our two rooms. This device as planned would be the perfect centerpiece for our B setup and could be an all in one solution for my home rig. Yeah. I'll be buying one.

Take your time and get it right. Looking forward to it.

Cameron
Old 10th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by clister01 View Post
I'm really glad to hear that this device is still planned to come to market after being off the radar for a little while.

I work in a recording studio where we do most of our main tracking in our main room (40 channel API console). Towards the end of projects things usually split up during oversubs between our two rooms. This device as planned would be the perfect centerpiece for our B setup and could be an all in one solution for my home rig. Yeah. I'll be buying one.

Take your time and get it right. Looking forward to it.

Cameron
Hey Cameron, yeah, it has taken a bit longer than expected...but the feature set, build quality and tone are WELL worth the wait.

Thanks.
Old 10th April 2010
Gear Nut

Sounds good. Keep the slutz updated! We love pictures.
Old 11th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Fitz View Post
Hey Cameron, yeah, it has taken a bit longer than expected...but the feature set, build quality and tone are WELL worth the wait.

Thanks.
No inserts???
Old 11th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpupo74 View Post
No inserts???
With the MM20; Channels 1-4 have insert send and return patch points. This is noted by the "Patch" control on these channels. The purpose was to utilize any outboard equipment processing on the way to the AD converters/recorder when using these channels, as they offer Direct Outputs that are post insert send and return. Channels 5-20 do not use inserts, but in a mix environment, you can easily patch any equipment you need, from the outputs of your DA converters/recorder to the outboard equipment, and then back to the mixer's inputs. As well, there is a fully transformer balanced insert send and return on the Master Buss, complete with Patch Bypass Control.
Old 11th April 2010
Lives for gear

do you think this will come out this year? i need to base a few buying decisions around this!! thank you
Old 11th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
With the MM20; Channels 1-4 have insert send and return patch points. This is noted by the "Patch" control on these channels. The purpose was to utilize any outboard equipment processing on the way to the AD converters/recorder when using these channels, as they offer Direct Outputs that are post insert send and return. Channels 5-20 do not use inserts, but in a mix environment, you can easily patch any equipment you need, from the outputs of your DA converters/recorder to the outboard equipment, and then back to the mixer's inputs. As well, there is a fully transformer balanced insert send and return on the Master Buss, complete with Patch Bypass Control.
I see...is there a ballpark price yet and shipping dates?
This thing looks nice.
Cheers,
Pupo
Old 12th April 2010
Gear Nut

Reading past posts puts this thing between 5-6k. Seems like a lot but if you really add all the features together and compare that to what it would cost for something like a dangerous mix and monitor plus 4 mic amps it actually works out to be very close.
Old 18th June 2010
Lives for gear

What would really push this product over the edge is a remote for basic monitoring control. I stop using the d-box becuase I got sick of reaching for the knob and such.

I actually use a Central Station despite the lost in clarity for convience because in the end, my mixes translate wonderfully.

As far as cost,.....if the Pres are as awsome as Great River reputation then this unit is just what the doctor ordered!
Old 18th June 2010
Lives for gear

ETA?
Old 18th June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonT View Post
What would really push this product over the edge is a remote for basic monitoring control. I stop using the d-box becuase I got sick of reaching for the knob and such.

I actually use a Central Station despite the lost in clarity for convience because in the end, my mixes translate wonderfully.

As far as cost,.....if the Pres are as awsome as Great River reputation then this unit is just what the doctor ordered!
Hey RonT,

Sure, all things considered, adding anything would be really nice! But is it ultimately needed is the question. This product has been in development for quite some time, and much thought has gone into the features it does have. We've added things, Subtracted things.

Believe me when I tell you all possible options have been scanned. Its the kind of product, you'll probably want to revise your studio for. I know WE WILL!! The MM20 is a centerpiece recording/mixing system, [you add everything else around it] and it handles priorities that would otherwise require several things, or a console.

If you'll notice the PDF Jay posted, you can see the monitor section is to the right of the unit. It allows for Separate Speaker selection, Monitor Volume, and Talk Back through its CUE output.

I can certainly understand where you are coming from with the tactile control ability, and I will say in my experience using Analog Consoles, the monitor Section is always on the thing, and easily reachable with the swivel of the chair, and flick of the wrist. This is sort of modeled after that, but the MM20 is much smaller than a piece of furniture.

At the end of the day, I think as a collective, we decided to put the meat of the production in the layout/routing & higher quality components - so that the sound/headroom/tonal performance would be better than having any coddling shiny objects that don't have anything to do with the aforementioned needs.
Old 18th June 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by populardemand View Post
ETA?
The MixMaster prototype II is currently being assembled. The audio boards are finished and ordered, the chassis is finished as well. Now Dan has the painstaking job of assembling this unit and testing, testing, testing.

We're still moving along at a precise and thorough pace. When this product is ready to ship, because of the intricacy of the design, it has to be bulletproof.
Old 28th August 2010
Lives for gear

And how are we coming along with the mm?
Old 28th August 2010
Lives for gear

I already got a chandler. Was waiting for this but...
Old 28th August 2010
Lives for gear

I think maybe it has been put on the back burner????

However, this is only an inference on my part.

I saw a recent interview with Dan Kennedy, in which he discussed upcoming products, and the M.M. was not even mentioned.

I think the interview was on Ronan's recording show.

I would love to hear that this is not the case.
Old 28th August 2010
Lives for gear

hopefully not too far away, although I did see Dan's interview and the main new thing he spoke about was the compressor. This and the compressor together would probably make a killer mix bus
Old 30th August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
I think maybe it has been put on the back burner????

However, this is only an inference on my part.

I saw a recent interview with Dan Kennedy, in which he discussed upcoming products, and the M.M. was not even mentioned.

I think the interview was on Ronan's recording show.

I would love to hear that this is not the case.
There are no back burners on the Mixer, though it does through some HEAT.

I saw a picture the other day of progress and there was no back burner anywhere in the picture.
Old 30th August 2010
Quote:
I saw a picture the other day of progress and there was no back burner anywhere in the picture.
If this thing doesn't have a back burner then it's of no use to me. I need something for my mac and cheeze
Old 31st August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
If this thing doesn't have a back burner then it's of no use to me. I need something for my mac and cheeze
My thoughts exactly.
Old 31st August 2010
Lives for gear

I think it will probably have some serious HEAT, maybe you can fry your eggs on it
Old 31st August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by arimaka View Post
I think it will probably have some serious HEAT, maybe you can fry your eggs on it
I wonder what would happen if you plug eggs into the XLR inputs.

Oh, well - I'll just keep warming up my DAW.
Old 15th February 2011
Gear Maniac

Anybody used this thing in real life mixing situation ?
How is quality of sound coming out of it ?
SSLish NEVEish APIish ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search