The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UAD Fatso, EMT 250, Neve 31102 / 31102SE Classic Console EQs OUT NOW
Old 29th July 2009
UAD Fatso, EMT 250, Neve 31102 / 31102SE Classic Console EQs OUT NOW

They're here!
Old 29th July 2009
Wow. And I almost spent my voucher last night...
Old 29th July 2009
Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tooooo much excitementttttttttt

Quote:
Faithful recreation of the EMT 250 reverb unit, widely considered one of the best-sounding reverbs ever built

Very same algorithm found in the original, repurposed for plug-in use in conjunction with original EMT 250 designer Dr. Barry Blesser

Modeled from Allen Sides’ EMT 250 “golden unit” at Ocean Way Recording

Additional EMT 250 effects also included: Delay, Phasing, Chorus, Echo, and Space

Fully endorsed by EMT Studiotechnik GmbH as the world’s only authentic emulation

Additional exclusive “UAD Powered

EDIT - FATSO AND EMT UAD2 ONLY.....:(
Old 29th July 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Yeah Boyee!!!
Lives for gear

**** yeah!!!!!!!!!!
I dreamt last night that the Fatso was coming out today (no, I am not a UAD nerd, or anything).
Lives for gear

Bring on the UA EMT250 vs TC Electronic DVR2 comparisons! That's what I want to hear... I would do it myself.. but I just have UAD1 cards. :-(

Last edited by GearGuy; 29th July 2009 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: typo
Gear Maniac

BOOOOOO ... im gonna have to upgrade to 2 now just for Fatso :(
Lives for gear
Can't wait to hear the Sr.

Downloading now!
The EMT 250 sounds really good to me...not harsh...very natural sounding for a digital verb.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu View Post
The EMT 250 sounds really good to me...not harsh...very natural sounding for a digital verb.
Well... that is the appeal of the hardware units! Have you used the TC Electronic recreation before? It called the DVR2.... I would love to know how the two stack up to each other.
Gear Maniac

Id Love to know people's view's if any one can compare the real and Uad unit .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGuy View Post
Well... that is the appeal of the hardware units! Have you used the TC Electronic recreation before? It called the DVR2.... I would love to know how the two stack up to each other.
Don't have the TC version - can only compare it to an Altiverb IR that I have - to my ears, the Altiverb version is very close, but the UAD has a touch more clarity and presence.
Lives for gear
Fatso so far is extremely effective on a drum buss. Adds body to the mids, tightens everything up, adds a sturdy snap, polishes the highs (almost a silky sound), and even cleans up the reverb I added before it just to test it. Warmth sounds good. Also sounds great slammed, full input, 0 output, spank and tranny. And the sound isn't a fake in your face distortion. It's actually somewhat subtle, but you feel a loss when you bypass.
Lives for gear

Universal Audio isn't allowing people to use the Stack and Save (30% off 3 plugs) on the new plugins, that really sucks. I own all the plugins and was excited to be able to use the promo on the new plugs and they won't allow it. It really does put a damper on the new plugs for me.
cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu View Post
Don't have the TC version - can only compare it to an Altiverb IR that I have - to my ears, the Altiverb version is very close, but the UAD has a touch more clarity and presence.
I have the TC version (DVR2) and just activated the UAD demo. Keep in mind this is just a quick immediate impression, but... The UAD EMT 250 has a more obvious, meaty, and vintage sound to it. The TC is more hi-fi and transparent. The UAD would definitely be my first choice if I wanted the reverb to be heard -- particularly if I wanted something soaked in reverb. For a more subtle, everyday effect I might still prefer the TC. (The DVR2 has been among my fave reverbs for a long time so whatever hesitation I have there is an indication that the UAD is pretty nice...).
Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye View Post
Universal Audio isn't allowing people to use the Stack and Save (30% off 3 plugs) on the new plugins, that really sucks. I own all the plugins and was excited to be able to use the promo on the new plugs and they won't allow it. It really does put a damper on the new plugs for me.
cam
+ 1
Lives for gear

I'm definitely going to get the FATSO, but I'm going to wait until Aug to see if they pony up a $25 discount coupon. It's only a few days till then and I've waited this long.

I think they released it now hoping that many would just buy it right away.

In the video, EL's Dave Derr personally compares the plugin to the hardware and gives it his full blessing. That should shut up the whiners who always say the plugins aren't close to the hardware.
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
I'm definitely going to get the FATSO, but I'm going to wait until Aug to see if they pony up a $25 discount coupon. It's only a few days till then and I've waited this long.
+1. That, and I'm still rocking the UAD-1, so I guess this is their way of gradually making users migrate to a UAD-2.

Quote:
In the video, EL's Dave Derr personally compares the plugin to the hardware and gives it his full blessing. That should shut up the whiners who always say the plugins aren't close to the hardware.
I agree. Given the quality of some of the plugs out there now, if a person can't get a slamming mix using plugins these days, it's on them, not the gear.
Lives for gear
Holy crap - 2 stereo instances for a UAD-2 Solo? Somebody's gotta compare this to the hardware and let us know how it stacks up. If it's really close it's still a good deal.
Lives for gear
Just so I have some perspective - how many FLOPS is one of these SHARC chips able to put out and how does this compare to a the number of FLOPS you can get out of an I7 CPU? I'm very tempted to invest in UAD but the price/number of plugins with the newer stuff is pretty whacky.

Don't get me wrong - I encourage plugin makers to use a little more CPU in this day and age to get better sound quality. I just want to have an apples-to-apples point of reference between a DSP system and native. if this were a native plug (NOT running in emulation) how much of an I7 920 would it eat?

You see the few SONNOX instances run on a Powercore compared to native? That's the only direct comparison I can think of.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye View Post
cam
Yeah the first thing I did was start calculating 30% off of the new plugins.. oh well, the next voucher or sale will be along soon, I'll wait until then to buy..
Gear Maniac

couldn't they make fatso's gui just a little bit smaller....
Gear Guru

Luckily I still have a 300 dollar coupon from buying my QUAD so if I like the Fatso it's all mine. I was hoping for a Massive Passive on this release too. Until next time...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farshad View Post
I really hate these videos. UA never learns it, they always put out this marketing garbage instead of useful examples. If I want fast cuts and advertising bull**** I watch MTV. "I hear the warmth a lot" - yeah, sure.

So someone please to some real examples. :-)
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
I really hate these videos. UA never learns it, they always put out this marketing garbage instead of useful examples. If I want fast cuts and advertising bull**** I watch MTV. "I hear the warmth a lot" - yeah, sure.

So someone please to some real examples. :-)
+1
videos are promo.
eq is great.
need to get to my UAD-2, ha.
Here for the gear

Angry UAD2 Lame

If everyone sends UA an e-mail how disappointed they are about these plugins being UAD2 only,maybe just maybe they will listen...
For me to have a UAD2 card,I would need to buy a $3000 pci-e magma expander.....NOPE
Gear Nut

please, how many samples of delay in protools?
๐Ÿ“ Reply