The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dave Lebolt leaves Digidesign for Apple? Audio Interfaces
Old 22nd June 2009
Dave Lebolt leaves Digidesign for Apple?

Thats the word on the street...

David Lebolt, senior vice-president and chief technology officer of Avid Technology, Inc and ex-general manager of Digidesign
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

I'm surprised it took Apple this long to snag a top Digi guy. And now I'm anxious to find out what Dave will help them produce.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Ops, this sounds like a big move for everyone!
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear Maniac

Npt surprising...

Digi's business model is fast becoming obsolete...
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Wow! thats Huge.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

This rumor is true. His last day was Friday.
Old 22nd June 2009
:-O

Veeeeery interesting...

Surprised he didn't have a clause in his contract about not being allowed to do that though for a given period of time...
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Well if it's true, I would assume there's no way his coming to Apple would have any effect on the next version of Logic, unless the next version is not destined to come out for a while, which would really suck (although if a longer wait meant better audio editing, including a Beat Detective equivalent, I'd be psyched to wait). What would be nice is if his coming to Apple might have some effect on the non-existent communication with end users (a DUC-like board for Logic with actual Logic Support reps would be great), the dumb moves Apple keep making with their MBP line and much needed improvement in the audio-editing dept. Even if the move is real, it might have zero effect, but at least it's a hopeful sign.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

I'm shocked.

I hope that's not turning out bad bad bad news for digidesign users.
I doubt that he would be able to change Apple's strategy of dealing with "pro" users and "pro" products. But maybe he doesn't even want to?

Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

His bio is still on the Avid company page.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Seems like fantastic news for the future of Logic. I for one and happy to hear this. I got off the Digi merry-go-round a while back and have been enjoying the switch to Logic.

Apple must be paying him a fortune (Digi already was).
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

I think Digi and Apple are both in need of a shakeup. Being a user of both Logic and PT, I welcome this move.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexarametric View Post
I think Digi and Apple are both in need of a shakeup. Being a user of both Logic and PT, I welcome this move.
Ditto
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobymusic View Post
I'm shocked.

I hope that's not turning out bad bad bad news for digidesign users.
I doubt that he would be able to change Apple's strategy of dealing with "pro" users and "pro" products. But maybe he doesn't even want to?

Even though tech support is quite good with Digidesign now, they used to have the same sort of strategy as Apple when dealing with their user base... Dave Lebolt will fit in just right!
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Not sure if it's for Apple - but he has indeed left. I have it confirmed:

ProToolerBlog → Post » Dave Lebolt and Peter Gorges has left Avid
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

GD Apple poachers

Well I guess if DL ends up at a famous fruit company it'll squash rumors of Apple's lack of commitment.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Interesting! Logic kills PT as a writing tool. If his input can up the audio side of Logic and if his input could help introduce new I/O, AD/DA alternatives and a great control surface/console for logic, i would be really pleased.
Old 22nd June 2009
GarageBand|HD?
Old 23rd June 2009
Here for the gear

Sure would like to know the inside scoop on this change. . . I have seen a lot of companies loose their souls over the years, and often a change of a couple people that are key to the companies heart or conscience is all it takes for the downward spiral to begin. I am not saying that is the case here, and I do not know the people and inside operations of Digidesign/Avid. Does anyone?
Old 23rd June 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petermix View Post
Digi's business model is fast becoming obsolete...
I had know idea that near total domination of studio & film post market was failure.
Plus nearly every major live tour I have seen in the last year are now using Digidesign consoles.
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipass View Post
I had know idea that near total domination of studio & film post market was failure.
Plus nearly every major live tour I have seen in the last year are now using Digidesign consoles.
Not that this the be all, end all on the health of a company, but it's interesting.
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Late '02 to mid '03 was great for Avid, but the trend is hard to miss.

The Avid editing systems are still firmly on top, even with Final Cut Pro's big dent in the market share. In audio, ProTools still sits high above Logic. (I'm taking sales figures)

But in both worlds, Apple's competitive alternative is gaining.
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear Head

There's no way digi is going down. That would be as much a fantasy as the stock market crashing or big banks closing or...........
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by never174 View Post
There's no way digi is going down. That would be as much a fantasy as the stock market crashing or big banks closing or...........
Yeah. Too big to fail!
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear Maniac

Not only is Lebolt gone (for Apple), so is Peter Gorges from AIR...as noted in Stiff's blog post.

AIR was one of Digi's bright spots...and to see their visionary gone, that's discouraging from a user stand point. As is the loss of Lebolt, arguably the heart and soul of Digi.
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear Nut

If Apple hired him that's probably to help them to release Logic 8.0.3
sorry couldn't resist
oz
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Thats the word on the street...

David Lebolt, senior vice-president and chief technology officer of Avid Technology, Inc and ex-general manager of Digidesign
G'day Jules,

Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine. Anyone who thinks there's safety in numbers hasn't looked at the stock market pages.

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:AVID

The industry is changing fast, especially in Post ! The media management of Avid and the advanced trimming appears to still have an advance on FCP for the complex long form stuff.

But these days, due to tight budgets, Post shops need to quickly do a little of EVERYTHING.

Final Cut Studio with a good video card and the right drives there trump Avid as the price performance for a system that can do everything can’t be beat.

As a manufacturer of Audio systems for Post ... We see the move to FCP worlwide as being nothing less than massive.

These days (money wise) less is more. It's definitely tough out there for all of us ! and this definitely includes AVID/Digidesign.

All the best,

Uncle Joe

Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by never174 View Post
Yeah...I guess before Apple comes out with something, Digi will release a new HD or something like it...
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiospace View Post
GarageBand|HD?
heh
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Don't kid yourself. This is huge. Ultimately, for the better of us. Digi's feeling the pressure.

Last edited by Jules; 23rd June 2009 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: Unkind

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search