The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
McDSP Retro Recorder
Old 24th July 2009
Gear Nut

I've had good results with this on a first-gen iphone. I'll have to check out that Blue mic tho...
Old 4th August 2009
Lives for gear

I have the app......to me ALX sounds like it's nothing but a gain booster. Which I can do in Pro Tools. So i don't understand what it's doing other than boosting gain? Colin?
Old 7th August 2009
Lives for gear

I cant seem to make the export feature work.Cant find server is the message I get on my computer.Has anyone exported files with some success?
Old 7th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst View Post
I have the app......to me ALX sounds like it's nothing but a gain booster. Which I can do in Pro Tools. So i don't understand what it's doing other than boosting gain? Colin?
It's a limiter like L1 - so yes it boost the volume
Old 8th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
It's a limiter like L1 - so yes it boost the volume
So why should something like this be a selling point? Especially when you can put a limiter on the recordings yourself once you transfer them to your computer. Does it do anything else? Or is it just a built in limiter?
Old 8th August 2009

If you don't want to use the limiter then turn it off.

I think it's great feature especially when you need to here 2 people talking one is far away and one is close for example. You make have to send the recording somewhere fast. Transferring to a laptop then mastering it maybe something too time consuming if you want something quick and dirty after all it's only recording at 22Khz sampling so your not going to get any sound quality award with your iphone
Old 8th August 2009
Lives for gear

"Using some of the same patent pending techniques created for the ML4000 plug-in, ALX processing in Retro Recorder processes the audio recorded into the iPhone such that low and high level signals are brought into balance."
Old 9th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipass View Post
If you don't want to use the limiter then turn it off.

I think it's great feature especially when you need to here 2 people talking one is far away and one is close for example. You make have to send the recording somewhere fast. Transferring to a laptop then mastering it maybe something too time consuming if you want something quick and dirty after all it's only recording at 22Khz sampling so your not going to get any sound quality award with your iphone
Fair enough. I just wanted to know what I was not understanding.
Old 9th August 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Slash View Post
"Using some of the same patent pending techniques created for the ML4000 plug-in, ALX processing in Retro Recorder processes the audio recorded into the iPhone such that low and high level signals are brought into balance."
Like I said ...
it's a freaking limiter
Old 9th August 2009
Lives for gear

Not exactly.

If you use your favorite limiter and set the threshold to -24dB the high level sound will be squashed to death.

As the low level sound will have a good volume.

With ALX, it sets the balance.

So it can bring low level sound to front up to 30dB without squashing the already high level sound.

Is that correct ?

I imagine it's optimized for voice talking tough.
Old 19th August 2009
McDSP

ALX - what the heck is it???

Howdy all,

yikes! I've been checking this thread and did not see this second page of posts. Everyone please accept my apologies.

Ok - ALX - Audio Level eXtension. Its a limiter-ish thing, tweaked and optimized for the way the iPhone captures audio. It does well with voice and music. It operates nicely with the iPhone built in mics, and the fancier external ones. That is about all I can say - we've got patents pending !!!!

Some of you also pointed out one could import the recorded files into Pro Tools, and use the ML4000 plug-in to get darn similar results. This would be reasonably correct, with the exception of a few iPhone nuances we've had to work through.

So for you pro audio types, maybe that is not exciting? But then for the other 99% of the population - they just got the power of a $500 piece of McDSP software for under $5. No, the iPhone is not going to replace Pro Tools. But for that critical field recording, interview, business meeting, kids first words, final lyrics, song sketch, etc. - you don't have to go to your DAW to 'fix' it. Think of it as an audio zoom-in capability.

For these reasons Retro Recorder only comes with a button (ALX processing), and you pro folks get continuous controls, mode options, snazzy metering, etc.

Also - we've got an update coming out in a few weeks - stereo and higher sample rate support (44.1 kHz) support. Also you'll be able to email the audio files to each other directly from the iPhone, or 'serve them up' in the current manner.

Thanks for taking up Retro Recorder!

Colin
Old 20th August 2009
Gear Head

Thanks!

This is a great tool for songwriter's.
Old 4th September 2009
McDSP

Retro Recorder Sale ending

Howdy all,

Retro Recorder has been on sale for a few weeks, but the sale is ending Sept 8th. We're about to release a version that has mono and stereo recording capability, and supports multiple recording quality modes - MQ (22050 Hz sample rate), and HQ (44100 Hz sample rate).

There are a couple of other cool updates to it as well.

If you have been considering Retro Recorder, the $1.99 price is going to around through Sept 8th. After that, we're bumping it back up to $2.99 or $3.99.

Now you know!

Colin
9/3/2009
Old 5th September 2009
Lives for gear
I got it long ago, same day it has been released, portable McDSP
Old 17th September 2009
McDSP

Reteo Recorder - UPDATE

Howdy all,

the update I mentioned earlier - stereo recording and with two quality modes (MQ - 22,050 Hz and HQ - 44100 Hz) when recording - is now available on the iTunes app store. Some other good tweaks in this rev as well. Its a free update!

Colin
9/17/2009
Old 25th September 2009
McDSP

Retro Recorder - trailers

Howdy all,

in case you needed more flashy marketing than what I could type here, check out these trailers for Retro Recorder we've posted on youtube.

The link is...

YouTube - RetroRecorder's Channel

...enjoy.

Colin
9/24/2009
Old 25th September 2009
Lives for gear

Wow, the bridegroom is REALLY impressed by Retro Recorder heh
Old 25th September 2009
McDSP

Bride / Groom Trailer

Stiff, everyone else,

not sure that entirely comes across in the video - but that was a real user story. Somebody was getting married, and wanted to record their wedding vows. But no mic or video equipment was around. A groomsman (NOT the groom) had the Retro Recorder app, and so he tried it out. As per the video - in his jacket pocket (upside down so the speaker/mic stuck out), and he was about 10 ft away from the bride and groom (who were quiet speakers to boot). Without the ALX processing, not too much was audible. With ALX, "holy [email protected]" and all that.

You'd think with all the people going nuts over photo 'zoom in' apps like Camera Genius that Retro Recorder would be a huge hit. Well, here's to hoping! You can say you heard it first...literally!

Colin
9/25/2009
Old 3rd October 2009
Gear Addict

How does this app interface with my Mac?
I like the way the iPhone standard Voice Memos app names files with date and time, and syncs automatically with iTunes.
Old 3rd October 2009
Gear Addict

Retro Recorder

It seems you download the files manually via a web-browser.
Also, it's wav for better or worse.
Old 3rd October 2009
Gear Addict

Can we record the phone conversations?

Hello Collin. I would like to know if it's possible to be able to record phone conversations I have with other people. Is this a future implementation? Many thanks. I've purchased it and love it.

Spiros.
Old 3rd October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskay View Post
Hello Collin. I would like to know if it's possible to be able to record phone conversations I have with other people. Is this a future implementation? Many thanks. I've purchased it and love it.

Spiros.
Skype conversations would be awesome too. But I suppose that would be hard to do...?
Old 3rd October 2009
Gear Nut

can I Record at the same time iTunes is playing a backing track?
Old 4th October 2009
McDSP

Retro Recorder - more stuff

Howdy all,

sorry to say Retro Recorder cannot record your phone conversations. I will double check about Skype though! Seems Apple does not want us third party folks doing that, and has made such things difficult.

Can Retro Recorder record when iTunes is playing? I do not believe so - one audio app at a time on the iPhone!

As for the downloading of the recorded files - we've really tried to make it easy! Yes, the dang Apple voice recorder syncs right into iTunes. Shockingly we are not allowed to do it quite the same way. Argh and ouch.

We did add the emailing feature so you could email your recordings somewhere, but a mono 44.1 kHz wave file is 5 MB per minute. Perhaps we could offer a compressed file format for those who like emailing audio files around - but know that would not likely be full fidelity stuff, and still a max size on most email attachments is around 5 MB. For now this feature is disabled. Let me know your thoughts about it!

I will be at AES later this week and perhaps I will see some of you folks there. Thanks for checking out Retro Recorder!!

Colin
Old 5th November 2009
McDSP

Retro Recorder hits spot #3 in app store...

...in the business category anyways!!!

Thanks to all that have been checking it out!

Colin
Old 8th December 2009
Gear Head

I've long used and spec'd all our machines with the TDM Plugz and now have this on my iPhone...

I dig it; very handy for broadcast solutions, too, especially on remote recordings.
Old 23rd December 2009
Lives for gear

Wow, Thanks for your work Colin. Just got an iphone and found this app today. Very cool. I love the WiFi connection and export. Love the interface and ease of use.

I'd like to know if you have any recomendations for an external mic? I checked out the "Blue Mikey" and some reviewers said it really drains the phone battery. I'm curious to know what type of "auto-gain" might be happening other than the ALX. I haven't taken it to a full jam session yet and wonder how it will handle the clipping. I think the Mikey has a couple gain settings. The ALX processing, or auto-gain setting thing, would be great for engineer/songwriter people as well as the tech-******** general public.

A 4 track with some kind of EZdrummer Lite thing would be awesome for writing a quick song idea in the car or wherever. I've yet to purchase a full DAW app for iPhone cause I'm new to it and still researching which one might work best for me. Obviously I have a real studio at home so I'm not trying to do anything crazy with my phone other than catch a quick idea or two.

Love the app and look forward to more.

Thanks again!
Old 23rd December 2009
Lives for gear

Did some more digging today and found FiRe - Field Recorder by Audiofile Engineering, $9.99, as recomended here by a previouse poster. It has a visable waveform, vu meters, adjustable gain, input plug-ins from iZotope that include hiss and rumble reduction, compression, hard and soft limiting etc. It also has choices file formats for export via WiFi or whatever. I think this app is definitely a bit more advanced and offers more useful functions for an audio pro.

Sorry Colin, I thought you should at least be aware of it though.

I wonder what happens when you get a phone call while recording something important???

As far as my question about "auto-gain" riding.....I'm assuming that is all probably taking place with the actual iPhone mic and their built in limiting....whatever that may be. I wonder if the Blue Mikey or anything else would bypass that.
Old 23rd December 2009
Lives for gear

I also have been really digging...

Peterson iStrobosoft Tuner....very good tuner.

The Theriminator.......virtual therimin instrument.
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Maniac

Anybody knows if it's possible to record a line level signal with the retro recorder? I want to record my live mixes with it..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search