Lives for gear

Barefoot microSUB

Just found

THIS

WOW heh

Looks like the sub from luceys system.
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

You put this under your desk then I suppose..

that will have serious bass!

Wonder when those nanomains come out
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Maniac

nice! Is the barefoot mastering monitor gone? Let's just wait for the mm12 thumbsup
Old 16th June 2009
JHJ
Gear Nut

Price?
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

It's already been pulled from the site.....I wonder if it was posted to the site prematurely?

Kirt Shearer
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

still on google search.

(edit by GS admin... that info is incorrect - see below for correct info - thanks - Jules)
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Been looking for a sub for the Proacs. Hmmmm.
Old 16th June 2009
of course you have Carlos.
funny seeing you on here.

this does look stellar though,
the imagery on with these company's speakers are great.
So, i only expect these to be solid as well.
thumbsup
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Nut

OK, so please someone explain this one to me. This has woofers and subwoofers with frequency range that goes up to 2khz. Are there any other "subwoofers" manufactured this way?

I'm sure this will be out of my price range, and if not I'd rather just pay a little more to add the tweets on the regular barefoots, but I can't wait to see how people use this. Where for example will they set the crossover? Maybe Barefoot thinks the 60-100 range is too limited.
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnie red View Post
OK, so please someone explain this one to me. This has woofers and subwoofers with frequency range that goes up to 2khz. Are there any other "subwoofers" manufactured this way?

I'm sure this will be out of my price range, and if not I'd rather just pay a little more to add the tweets on the regular barefoots, but I can't wait to see how people use this. Where for example will they set the crossover? Maybe Barefoot thinks the 60-100 range is too limited.
Well, I did read that using 2 sub's are better than 1 so buying 2 of these would create a pretty cool monitoring system with existing near/midfields without having to get used to a new monitor if you like what you have but simply its not enough for you...right? then seems the crossover is fixed to 110 hz? errr...
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Nut

Seems it's gone of the hp for now.

Nevertheless, maybe Thomas could explain the idea behind this single midrange driver paired with the subwoofer.

btw. have you recently "upgraded" the midrange drivers from vifa to scan speak?
Old 29th June 2009
Gear Nut

Barefoot MicroSUB now available!

Hey everyone,

The MicroSUB has been officially released. The specifications that were posted earlier in this thread were incorrect. They were taken from a page on the Barefoot site that was a work in progress. The correct specs are:

Specifications
  • Description: 2-way active sealed-box subwoofer with extended bandwidth
  • Subwoofer Input Controls: Stepped attenuator level adjust (+6 dB to -16 dB), mid/sub amplifier mutes, +10 dB gain
  • Crossover Controls: 120/80/60 Hz frequency select, crossover IN/OUT
  • Input Impedance: 50 kilo-ohm
  • Bass Response: -3 dB @ 22 Hz, Q = 0.707, Slope = 12 dB/octave
  • Pass Band Response: 26 Hz - 1.6 kHz (+/- 1.5 dB), -3 dB upper cutoff at 2 kHz
  • Cabinet: 32 liters total internal volume, Sealed sub enclosure, sealed midbass enclosure, Machined aluminum front baffle plate
  • Midbass Crossover Frequency: 95 Hz
  • Midbass: 5" poly cone, Sealed rear waveguide enclosure
  • Power (Midbass): 250 W
  • Dual Subwoofers: 10" aluminum cones, 1" peak-to-peak linear excursion
  • Power (Dual Subwoofers): 500 W
  • AC Power Input: Nominal 115 VAC or 230 VAC selectable
  • Power Consumption Idle: 30W
  • Power Consumption Maximum: 675W
  • Speaker Weight: 65 lbs each (30 kg)
  • Shipping Weight: 73 lbs each (33 kg)
  • Dimensions: (HxWxD) 20.5 x 9.5 x 15.25 inches (521 x 241 x 387 mm)

Old 30th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Thanks

Almost the same price as a single mm27
Old 30th June 2009
got em in our store. great
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

I saw these (or a prototype) at AES a few shows ago. There were two subs and two MM27's set up in a special stand, probably Sound Anchors. The MM27's were suspended and the subs were at floor level. The whole setup looked very clean and the unified installation made it look more like a single system.
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnie red View Post

The idea is to offer a high-end, ultra high performance, extremely flexible and expandable subwoofer that can integrate seamlessly into virtually any system. Here are the main advantages that I see in both surround applications and two channel low-end extension:

Surround
The high frequency extension of the MicroSUB is useful in the role of a dedicated LFE monitor. The LFE signal should only contain low frequencies. Unwanted high frequency content will limit the available headroom for the low frequency content. And these days, like everyone, postproduction engineers are hungry for every bit of headroom they can get. If you're monitoring through a subwoofer that has a relatively low frequency low-pass filter, you are effectively blind to everything else that might be going on in the LFE channel and, therefore, won't necessarily take steps to remedy the problem. Of course, you can always engage a low pass filter to the cut the high frequency response of the MicroSUB. But you can't add high frequency extension to a sub that doesn't have it to begin with.

The high frequency extension is also useful for testing one's mix in various consumer bass management scenarios. Say you want to hear how your mix might translate to those tiny cube systems that are often crossed over at 150Hz or above. Well, just set your outboard bass management controller to those higher frequencies. The MicroSUB can reach up there with no problem.

The stepped attenuator provides precision level control along with pristine signal flow. It makes it very simple to add LFE subs and grow your system, especially with an MM27 system. The MicroSUB is calibrated to -6dB compared to the MM27 reference sensitivity. So two MicroSUBs drop in perfectly with an MM27 surround system. Or you can start out with one and set the level to +6dB. With three subs you set it to -3dB and so on. Running multiple subs on the LFE channel is truly high performance route. Not only does it provide loads of fast sub frequency headroom, it can also aid in obtaining smother low end response via strategic room placements (talk to your acoustician).
Stereo low-end extension
The MicroSUB is also atypical in that the crossover is only mono. So if you want to use it as a subwoofer to your monitors, then you need one MicroSUB per channel. Again, the extremely clean high frequency extension is useful because it aids in achieving very precise crossover between the monitors and the subs. I've never liked "mix-and-match" separate subwoofers because there are just to many uncertainties in the end result. And the chances of an end user, even a recording engineer, managing to stitch two speakers together in the truly precise and high performance manner are pretty slim. When I design a speaker system I take detailed account of the frequency and phase responses of the drivers I am integrating. I have sophisticated measurement tools, computer software and years of experience. The actual electronic crossover transfer functions are far from "cookbook" type filters. And they're never symmetric. In order to use generic crossover filters, the high and low frequency drivers need to have at the very LEAST 1 octave of flat responses above and below the crossover point. This is never the case when I'm designing a speaker. And it's almost never the case when an end user is trying to integrate a subwoofer. So what's the solution?

By adding a midbass to the MicroSUB, there is now plenty of high quality, high linearity, and high frequency bandwidth to work with. The midbass driver also remains omni directional up to a much higher frequency than any sub driver can. These factors allow the end user to choose a higher than usual crossover frequency, well above the low frequency cutoff of the mains. This assures near perfect integration of the sub and monitors using the internal crossover - assuming the subs and mains are in reasonably close proximity. And since the MicroSUB shares the size, form factor and vibration damping scheme of the MM27, it's perfectly suited to sit close to the monitors, as "up in your face" as you want without any concerns at all. And, likewise, in this application the stepped attenuator enables precision level calibration. Granted, one sub per channel isn't for everyone. It's certainly not a budget approach. But for those who, say, absolutely love their mini monitors but wish for a near zero compromise way of extending their bass response - with Barefoot bass performance - this might just be the solution.
Another cool feature is you can mount the MicroSUB on the same custom Sound Anchors stand as the MM27. There is so little cabinet vibration that you could just set your monitor right on top, maybe with a non-slip pad. Or, if you already have MM27s and stands, you can get another set of mounting "arms" and mount the MicroSUBs under the MM27s on the same stands.

It's all about no compromise performance combined with great flexibility and expandability.

Hope this helps!
Thomas
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Awesome stuff Thomas. I though they would remain a prototype.
Does this mean you won't be putting out the mastering monitors?

For the people who haven't seen them in combination with the MM27's. Here's the link:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...es-2008-a.html
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookedOnHardware View Post
Awesome stuff Thomas. I though they would remain a prototype.
Does this mean you won't be putting out the mastering monitors?
Now that we have the MicroSUB released the MasterStack is soon to follow. Stay tuned!
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
Now that we have the MicroSUB released the MasterStack is soon to follow. Stay tuned!
Hi Thomas,

How different will the MasterStack be from the MM27's with two MicroSUB's? I remember Lucey saying the MS was a different system, or will they be similar once configured correctly? (I'm assuming the previous Mastering setup design shown on your website has now gone out of the window.. Correct me if you are still going to use it.)

My distributor is going to hate me now because of you. I re listened to the MM27's yesterday (already decided on them years ago but the new place is soon to be opened) and I'm now bugging them to get some MicroSUB's for me to audition .
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

I'll go into details once it's released.
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll go into details once it's released.
Ahhhh.

Alrighty then.
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

I got yelled at for letting the cat out of the bag with that MicroSUB test web page. I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

heh

Seriously though, there are still a few details to work out with the MasterStack. So, I think it's better if I wait until everything is finalized. Hope you understand.
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I got yelled at for letting the cat out of the bag with that MicroSUB test web page. I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

heh

Seriously though, there are still a few details to work out with the MasterStack. So, I think it's better if I wait until everything is finalized. Hope you understand.
You are the owner, you should be yelling at them for yelling at you .

It's ok, I'll probably get the subs for the MM27's. I'm assuming the MS is just a bit different. I do look forward to seeing what comes from it though.
You make the best products!
Old 10th July 2009
Lives for gear

So any news yet...?

No, I'm not impatient.
Old 11th July 2009
Gear Head

Red face

I've ordered MM27s two weeks ago, and since then...
MicroSub was released and MasterStack announced.
I hoped that MM27+MicroSub=MasterStack, but apparently this is a different product.
I wonder if future MM27s and MicroSubs will get an alternate MasterStack voicing setting, transforming the whole Barefoot line into a modular monitoring system.

Now, I only ask myself, are my MM27s already outdated, and I haven't even got them yet?
Old 11th July 2009
Gear Maniac

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abel View Post
Now, I only ask myself, are my MM27s already outdated, and I haven't even got them yet?
Of course they aren't! You should be more than happy with them, these new products are the "same" with just more in everything. Like the yet to be released MM12 model.

I think we still have to wait some years for the next generation of barefoot monitors.
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hoped that MM27+MicroSub=MasterStack, but apparently this is a different product.
I wonder if future MM27s and MicroSubs will get an alternate MasterStack voicing setting, transforming the whole Barefoot line into a modular monitoring system.

It all depends if you really need it. I'm getting the subs for the 27's but I'm not going to do any real mastering (as a recording/mix studio).
Old 14th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

No worries. This is all leading to more and more modularity and expandability as you suggest. The MasterStack will be a completely integrated tower system. But that won't take away from any future expandability of the MM27.
Old 23rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
No worries. This is all leading to more and more modularity and expandability as you suggest. The MasterStack will be a completely integrated tower system. But that won't take away from any future expandability of the MM27.
Hi Thomas,

Any news yet?
Old 21st September 2009
Lives for gear

It's been two months since I last posted but is anyone using these now? I got them on the list for my new place just to try them out, but it would be nice to hear from people that are using them...

Anyone?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search