The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acousticas Releases a Lexicon 480L library! Modulation Plugins
Old 13th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Acousticas Releases a Lexicon 480L library!

Damn! I wish I worked for them, I wouldn't have to buy it again! I think the demos sound awesome, but judge by yourselves :
Welcome To Acousticas

Old 13th June 2009
Lives for gear

If they do it just as good as the Bricasti I think this will be a winner.

Greetz,

Paul
Old 13th June 2009
Gear nut

Aside from the demos on the website, we've provided a small video blind test here.

Lexicon 480 VS its IR Counterpart

You get to guess which output belongs to the IR

Enjoy !
Old 13th June 2009
Gear interested

It´s sounds like my 480L

I have all impulses from Acousticas and I own a Lexicon 480L.
So it is the first Time that i can do my own blind test with the factory preset´s.

I can´t hear the differences so if you know someone who wants to buy
my 480 let me know.

But if you want control the Impules like an real 480L you have to
read the mother f...ing manual from the 480L or you know how it works.

The only think what i am missing are the Preset for ModDelay in Logic.

I made my own preset so it works for me.

Greetz

Andy
Old 13th June 2009
Gear Head

Hey Andy
How much are you asking for the 480?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybase View Post
So it is the first Time that i can do my own blind test with the factory preset´s.

my 480 let me know.

Greetz

Andy
Old 13th June 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybase View Post

my 480 let me know.

Greetz

Andy
andybase,

"recreating" or better yet, sound-matching the modulation of the L480 did not yield satisfactory results with either Logic's Modulation Delay or Chorus. That is what we did not provide it. Unless we reach close hardware proximity with the mod presets we are not providing them. We are not trying to make it sound "good" by providing those presets just to simulate what the hardware does. If anyone feels that the IRs are in need of modulation they can simply instantiate the Modulation Plug-In and tweak it to their own liking.

Digidesign's Mod Delay II is simply amazing for such purposes and really a fantastic plug-in utility. Unfortunately, it only runs within the Pro Tools platform. We would love to provide modulation presets for all platforms but unfortunately many of those platforms seem to lack the understanding of what a good utility of modulation should be. They are trying too hard to make the hammer be also a screw driver instead of just providing one of each
Old 13th June 2009
BVB
Gear Maniac

HI,

No special price for AXXL2 owners ?

Greets
Paul
Old 13th June 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVB View Post
HI,

No special price for AXXL2 owners ?

Greets
Paul
Paul,

you should have received a letter of release with a loyalty offering, this morning. If not, then please contact us via email to obtain it.
Old 13th June 2009
Gear Head

Hello Chris,
Fantastic Job as usual, even better ? ...
I really like the stereo makers for mono sources : it's a great useful tool.
Also impressed of course by the richness of the plates on piano sounds , strings ensembles.
Now we can't wait you release your convolution reverb !!!
And yes no decent chorus effect on Logic unfortunately ... :(

Keep up the Great Work AND Passion that goes with it !

Best Regards from Paris

Olivier aka OB.one
OB.one French Composer on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
Old 13th June 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB.one View Post
Hello Chris,
Fantastic Job as usual, even better ? ...
I really like the stereo makers for mono sources : it's a great useful tool.
Also impressed of course by the richness of the plates on piano sounds , strings ensembles.
Now we can't wait you release your convolution reverb !!!
And yes no decent chorus effect on Logic unfortunately ... :(

Keep up the Great Work AND Passion that goes with it !

Best Regards from Paris

Olivier aka OB.one
OB.one French Composer on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
Olivier,

we too are very pleased with the way the "Stereo Makers" turned out
Old 13th June 2009
Lives for gear

I have ALL of the Acousticas Libraries and this one is another OUTSTANDING release from them!!!

In addition, their service and support is second to none!!!

My advice... BUY EM ALL!!!!

Thanks to Chris & the Chaps over @ Acousticas!!!
Old 14th June 2009
Gear Addict

Acousticas What Else !
Old 14th June 2009
Lives for gear

Arg, just as I think I have enough verb they come along and do something like this!

Just a question: are these true stereo IRs? (I've never used the actual unit itself).

EDIT: Nevermind, just read the discussion on the M7 thread.
Old 14th June 2009
Lives for gear

These guys do such a good job with reverb i'd be curious to see how other hardware, real spaces and speakers would turn out. Also, outboard for Mac Nebula Pro would probably KILL, given the track record they have for quality.
Old 14th June 2009
Lives for gear

I agree.

Acousticas, have you considered sampling any units using Acusticaudio's NAT3 sampler? It seems to be a really promising technology that's overcoming some the limitations of standard IRs.
Old 14th June 2009
Lives for gear

Have it downloaded yesterday and completes three of the Acousticas libraries now. (L300,L480 and free M7)
Because money is for everyones the major isue, I think you proof to make payable products with a top notch quality.
There could be far more manufacturers of soft as well as hardware that could follow that sales strategy.
Thanks a thousand times for doing this great job Chris.

Greetz,

Paul
Old 14th June 2009
Lives for gear

I've never been much of an IR user before, but I do want a 480 ;-). I just bought this library, can't wait to get it installed!

Stein Tore
Old 14th June 2009
Lives for gear

Can anyone here A/B these with either the signaltonoize.com library or the Waves IR-1 library ?

tempted.. but do I really need it ?
Old 14th June 2009
Gear interested

Now i checked the ModDelay preset from the 300 Libary with the 480 Impulses and it works great.
For me the sound is a little bit fresher with the 300 preset on it than
from my old big lady ( 480l ).

I love it !

All the Time i hate Impulsresponse Reverbs because it never sounds like an
expensive Hardware but than Acousticas comes and now i use impulses all the time.
Old 15th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanner View Post
Can anyone here A/B these with either the signaltonoize.com library or the Waves IR-1 library ?

tempted.. but do I really need it ?
Ok.. so I bought it and A/B'd them myself.

Waves was a little "tizzy"
signaltonoize and acousticas were closer to each other.
signaltonoise sounded a bit thicker and more "added on" instead of adding air added more weight...very slightly. Acousticas won , seemed to join the high end of the source with the reverb. There's probably only 5% in it between signaltonoise and acousticas but that 5% brings out the sense of space and air...which is obviously what you want from a reverb.... especially when using muliple instances.

Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

the demos sound great... saving for the AXXL bundle ...heh
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Guru

What do people think of the new impulse reverb Reverberate? Seems pretty awesome here with the modulation. I always wanted Altiverb to do something like this but a 50 dollar app beat them to it.

Acousticas, you have any recomended settings for modulation settings for Reverberate? You should form a partnership with them since its cheap and could drive sales for both companies.
Old 16th June 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticas View Post
Olivier,

we too are very pleased with the way the "Stereo Makers" turned out
What are the STEREO MAKERS?
Old 16th June 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBER View Post
What are the STEREO MAKERS?
The "Stereo Maker" as we dubbed it is a cluster of delays, 4 to be exact, fine tuned in frequency, volume and spacing. Adding almost any mono source to those will simply make it stereo and fill the speakers. We've had a lot of positive feedback on that section.

We have added multipliers to the initial delay cluster enabling the user to fine tune the cluster to his/her liking. I.E, the base is x 1.0 and equals 4 different delay settings at four different times. using the x 0.5 multiplier will set them at half their initial range and x 2.0 at twice their initial range etc.
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Addict

How are these different than other 480 impulses?
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by intolerance View Post
I did a bit of an A/B with a couple of other libraries.. see previous post..

The sense of depth of the acousticas library is much more pleasing than the others. Instead of adding "extra weight" they lift the source and give it air..
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

can we conclude that reverbs are back even on vocals? for a long time i only left some tales audible, specially when using the digi reverbs etc....
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticas View Post
andybase,

"recreating" or better yet, sound-matching the modulation of the L480 did not yield satisfactory results with either Logic's Modulation Delay or Chorus. That is what we did not provide it. Unless we reach close hardware proximity with the mod presets we are not providing them. We are not trying to make it sound "good" by providing those presets just to simulate what the hardware does. If anyone feels that the IRs are in need of modulation they can simply instantiate the Modulation Plug-In and tweak it to their own liking.

Digidesign's Mod Delay II is simply amazing for such purposes and really a fantastic plug-in utility. Unfortunately, it only runs within the Pro Tools platform. We would love to provide modulation presets for all platforms but unfortunately many of those platforms seem to lack the understanding of what a good utility of modulation should be. They are trying too hard to make the hammer be also a screw driver instead of just providing one of each
Acousticas,

I vote for you guys to get a mod plugin made for you guys by some 3rd party source and tweaked to sound exactly like you want it. This way you don't have to rely on users having the correct mod plugin (I don't use Logic or PT) to use with your samples and your presets would work exactly the way you intend.

Great sounding demos BTW.
Old 16th June 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by intolerance View Post
Hi Intolerance,

One would have to break that answer down into two categories:

A) Concept (What should be captured)
B) Technique (How should A be accomplished)

If two parties sat out to capture the Lexicon 480, the result would be based on how they conceived the concept of doing it. I.e., maybe one party would opt to "only" capture the factory presets of the 480 whereas the other would opt for the Large Hall preset and capture that in 200 different constellations.

One fact remains with a unit like the 480. One cannot capture every possible combination of it for use via convolution technology. The size of such a hard drive simply doesn't exist. One would have to make beyond a billion recordings to capture every possible setting of the 480.
We opted to capture all the possible factory settings and programmed 8 other categories which we find useful for mixing purposes.

Bringing a third party into the equation further spreads the possibilities; maybe that party take a liking to the "Plate" sound and opts to capture the L480, 1000 times with a "platish" setting.

So you would have three independent parties offering "their" version of the L480. And all 3 may be sounding great. Which brings me to the second part of the answer

B) Technique

Basically, there are two kinds of people deriving impulse responses from sources capable of yielding reverberation be it a hardware or real-world-venue.

1) Those who do it by the book.
2) Those who realized that what's in the book doesn't necessarily sound good.

The Book/Manual/White-Paper of convolution technology prescribes, in great detail, how to capture the "sound" of a construct (Hardware or Venue). But it remains a theory, a theory of one or several people who took the time and sat down and constructed it. History has proven, that theories are valid until proven wrong. The most famous incident was, of course, as the humans believed the earth to be flat instead of round. In order to maintain that theory, they even executed numerous of people disputing that theory, claiming that the earth would in fact be round.

In the end, completely regardless of concept, technique, supposedly correctness or name of company, there is only one thing that really matters:

How does the library sound?

Personally, I believe that is all boils down to a matter of taste.

One person which I believe came from the US, once said:

"if it sounds good, it is good"
Old 16th June 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_sibs View Post
Acousticas,

I vote for you guys to get a mod plugin made for you guys by some 3rd party source and tweaked to sound exactly like you want it. This way you don't have to rely on users having the correct mod plugin (I don't use Logic or PT) to use with your samples and your presets would work exactly the way you intend.

Great sounding demos BTW.
We've voted for making one ourselves. We have decided to make an individual plug-in out of the modulator which we are integrating into our own convolution reverb. That way we dont have to write multiple presets and rely on other companies to get their code right.
That plug-in will sell at a minimal rate to Acousticas users and be include for free with the AXXL bundle.

This is future talk. We are in the early phase of developing the convolver but it is too early to place a release-tag on it. Until then, if any of you have awareness of a great and cheap/free modulation utility in the ballpark of digidesign's Mod Delay, capable of running on multiple platforms with multiple DAWs, please let us know.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search