The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
guitar amp plugin that doesn't suck!
Old 26th April 2009
Gear Addict

There are lots of crazy stuff out there, but amp farm still sounds better to me and the Pod as well ( if using correctly )
Old 26th April 2009
Lives for gear

Just got the Axe-FX Ultra, and after about 5 or 6 hours with it, I can say that it is so realistic that I can't tell I am playing anything other than a tube amp. Plus 600 microseconds latency. Let's see a plugin do that! Sick stuff.
Old 28th April 2009
Lives for gear

Scott I just got my ultra yesterday and holy #$%^! This sounds better with a few tweaks than my mesa boogie tremoverb or 5150 mic'd. I will reamp some stuff through it this week and share with you. Any chance you have any samples already?
Old 28th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyru View Post
Scott I just got my ultra yesterday and holy #$%^! This sounds better with a few tweaks than my mesa boogie tremoverb or 5150 mic'd. I will reamp some stuff through it this week and share with you. Any chance you have any samples already?

I totally agree - after another few days, I really can't say enough about this unit. The top of the line for guitar sims, that's for sure. I haven't made any samples - have been busy just going through all the heads with one 4x12 cab sim and tweaking. The Trainwreck is just unreal! I will post some samples once I get some done, probably in the next couple of days.
Old 29th April 2009
Lives for gear
Don't laugh...but I just got a Super Champ XD that sounds fantastic. You can't get that same sound from faking it - I tried it. I've tried all the sims and they just don't do it. I mic'd a tiny amp that does "sim" stuff and it sounds great. You just can't fake a real speaker - that's the problem.
Old 29th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
Don't laugh...but I just got a Super Champ XD that sounds fantastic. You can't get that same sound from faking it - I tried it. I've tried all the sims and they just don't do it. I mic'd a tiny amp that does "sim" stuff and it sounds great. You just can't fake a real speaker - that's the problem.
Well, if you have tried with the Axe-FX I would be interested to hear how close you actually could get. But, I am running it through a 4x12 Marshall cab, so I don't need to fake the speaker. I will say that the built in cabs sound, at least to my ears, just like a mic'd up cabinet.
Old 14th June 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Just got the Axe-FX Ultra, and after about 5 or 6 hours with it, I can say that it is so realistic that I can't tell I am playing anything other than a tube amp. Plus 600 microseconds latency. Let's see a plugin do that! Sick stuff.
Heard a few songs done with the Axe. Thought it was the best amp sim i ever heard. it did sound REAL but the mixes were not really top notch and some had excessive reverb which can fool what you´re trying to listen. It would be awesome if you could post your songs made with the axe...
Old 30th January 2010
Gear Head

I noticed no one here has mentioned recabinet. Convolution amp impulses. I found for me, after trying eleven, metal amp room, guitar rig, chrome tone, pod farm, amptiube and all the others I can think of,

for me, the best option is to use eleven as a PRE-amp. Turn off the cabinet in eleven and bus the signal to 3 separate recabinet impulse responses. split 3 ways into a 121 mic impulse, 57 impulse and a subwoofer impulse. The three combined impulses then get mixed into one mono track and you get a KILLER guitar tone. Try it. I would bet that you would all be astounded.

Last edited by Jaystar; 30th January 2010 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 31st January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaystar View Post
I noticed no one here has mentioned recabinet.
I think it died for the most part. The vibe certainly has. I gave it a shot, REALLY hoping for the next level in cabinet simulation. I wasn't even remotely impressed, and I gave it a good run. The theory of cab sim IRs has high potential, but I still haven't heard anything that really impresses me. I've been using my Palmer PDI-03 for ages. I'll happily push it off to eBay if there's a reason to. Recabinet, and the others, haven't come close.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search