The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New NS10's ??
Old 16th July 2005
New NS10's ??

http://www.studiospares.com/mac/prod...TORS&p=1&gid=2

Studiospares (UK) have recreated the legendary Yamaha NS10 near field monitors and increased the driver size from 6² to 8². This substantially increases the output capacity. Designated the SN10 Classic they sell for £92+VAT per pair.

I saw a photo in an ad and they look "the same" as old skool NS10's , white woofer, black tweeter, black speaker cabinet.

I wonder what they are like?

Go on! Someone buy a pair and let us know!!!

heh
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
http://www.studiospares.com/mac/prod...TORS&p=1&gid=2

Studiospares (UK) have recreated the legendary Yamaha NS10 near field monitors and increased the driver size from 6² to 8². This substantially increases the output capacity. Designated the SN10 Classic they sell for £92+VAT per pair.

I saw a photo in an ad and they look "the same" as old skool NS10's , white woofer, black tweeter, black speaker cabinet.

Go on! Someone buy a pair and let us know!!!

heh
They're certianly price to sell, but I just got my ns10-m's
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Addict

well if they look the same
they serve the ns10 purpose
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules
The SN10 incorporates an 8 inch driver, not a 6.5 inch. It has a massive magnet which together with the increased size uprates the power output to 80 watts. The HF output is handled by a 1" soft domed tweeter driven by the crossover which operates at 3.2kHz.

Judging from that, not much like the original.
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Maniac

so... it looks lmuch the same.. but apart from that seems to be completely different!
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

Interesting...I think that SS (studio spares) are just trying to make an extra $ ... but who knows ...
Old 17th July 2005
bee
Lives for gear

Will someone post a picture?

-bee
Old 19th July 2005
Here for the gear

i've seen in in the catalog. it pretty much looks like ns10s, but logically since it has 8' driver, so the dimensions should be a bit bigger.
and the tweeter grile doesnt look the same.

somebody pls get it.i'd love to have them if its good.
Old 19th July 2005
Had flick through the new Studiospares catalogue when it arrived and noticed a few of these 'replica' type reconstructions (can't remember what the others were, it was the SN10s that stuck in my memory).

Personally I think most of that stuff looks to be fairly poor quality. Reminds me of Thomann's T-Bone range of stuff.

Both companies have there place (I use both when their prices are right) but their own band stuff I reckon is best avoided.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

why change to 8"?
Old 21st July 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman
why change to 8"?

I'm cool with that as long as the bass response is wider. I always mix too much bass without a sub woofer with the original ns-10's.
Old 26th October 2007
Lives for gear

I've never really used NS10s, but I happened to buy a pair of the SN10s. Used them for a couple of hours and now they're in my loft.
Old 26th October 2007
Lives for gear

nice!
Old 26th October 2007
Lives for gear

I never really got that "JUST like the original... but BETTER!" marketing philosophy.

One of the main reasons the original is a classic is the way it narrows the focus to the mids which is where the magic in the mix is... the place that translates on most speakers.
Old 26th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improv View Post
I never really got that "just like the original... but BETTER!" marketing philosophy.

One of the main reasons the original is a classic is the way it narrows the focus to the mids which is where the magic in the mix is... the place that translates on most speakers.
Me too. I would only buy a new set of NS10's if they were exactly the same spec as the originals. I've worked on them for a very long time and are used to them -- if it's 'better'ed, then the whole reason for getting them.. well, might as well get new monitors then.
Old 27th October 2007
Lives for gear

buy a bad set the replace the woofers and or tweeters
Speaker City: Yamaha
Old 27th October 2007
Lives for gear

ok, I get that they were so everywhere, that it was therfefore a good common reference. I also get that if you could make something sound good on these, they would sound good on anything else? But is there more to the NS-10's that I never got.
I had an xmas album that I mixed a few years ago on an ns-10....and I remember constantly having to take breaks because of ear fatigue, and quite frankly I would be hard press to find a studio monitor that I liked the sound of less.....what am I missing?
rsp
Old 16th June 2008
Gear Maniac

Thumbs up

A volume control !

Turn them up and they get a bit rowdy, especially with an average amp.

Turn them down to a level you can talk over and mix to what you hear - Hey Presto , your mix translates to different speakers AND different volumes.
Old 17th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMusic View Post
buy a bad set the replace the woofers and or tweeters
Speaker City: Yamaha
Anyone can buy them straight from yamaha for I believe under a hundred bucks a piece.
Old 17th June 2008
Gear Maniac

Wasnt the whole purpose of the NS-10 in the first place to emulate crappy home stereo speakers, just to make sure the mix sounds good at the grocery store?

I think I need to set up a car speaker + sub to be able to hear what the guys in hood around here listen to

If I ama already asking: Does anyone know about a VST Master plugin that mixes down to mp3 and then brings back to wave so one can mix directly in mp3 128k? If not that is a kick a$$ plugin right there - attn voxengo!
Old 17th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkbrass View Post
Wasnt the whole purpose of the NS-10 in the first place to emulate crappy home stereo speakers, just to make sure the mix sounds good at the grocery store?
It is amazing how perceptions change over time.

NS10's were not there to emulate 'crappy home speakers just to make sure the mix sounds good at the grocery store".
(Who uses home speakers in a grocery store anyway?)

They were released in 1978 for the home stereo market and were adopted (originally by Bob Clearmountain I believe) because they made you work to get them sounding decent.
The old adage being if you can make a mix sound great on NS10m's then they sound great on anything.
Also with punk and new wave a lot of smaller studios were starting up and the NS10s were affordable compared to offerings from other companies- with punk particularly, the DIY attitude gave people a lot of movement outside the major record company machines- recording in a smaller studio for less money meant smaller, rawer bands could get music released. The NS10m was a part of all of that.

They don't sound great, of course- but that isn't the point.
They don't sound anything like speakers in a grocery store either.
Old 17th June 2008
Gear Nut

Take a look at this:

http://www.acousticenergypro.com/Edi...Resolution.pdf

It's written by the designer of a new set of monitors that were designed as a NS-10 replacement (not a replica). The AE22's are quite a bit more expensive (close to $2000), but also have an 8" woofer.

In any case, the article gives some more technical explanations why the NS-10 was as successful as it was. It references a study by Philip Newell, Keith Holland and Julius Newell comparing 36 different nearfield monitors based on each speakers' amplitude response, harmonic distortion, step response, and amplitude response waterfall. The NS-10 came out on top.

Sound on Sound also reviewed the AE22's in a recent issue (which is where I learned about the speakers).
Old 17th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I never really got that "JUST like the original... but BETTER!" marketing philosophy.
Yeah, especially in a case like this where a big part of the reason the speakers were so successful was because of their limitations...

There's plenty out there that's "better" than NS10Ms already...
Old 17th June 2008
Gear Addict

I doubt they will be like yamaha NS10 etc...

Everyone has an opinion on yamaha NS ...Like marmite,i guess.I use to find them a bit hard-mid to top until i heard them with certain amps etc...Clear!!tight and no hype..Sure they lack lows but i prefer that to mess....I have a pair of NS-615s.Same woofer as the 10s but slightly different tweeters.They are a pleasure for critical listening in general and hold quality/image when pushed to mid volumes..A little more down there lows and they would be even better..
Somehow doubt the studiospares sn will compete.Think its a surface thing-white woofer too-yeah man cool eehh like NS 10s yeah!!!!Hope someone has heard them for real with some fact!!
Did not Yamaha stop production because they could not get the pulp for the woofer,or is this just another myth??
Old 17th June 2008
Lives for gear

I'm mixing, recording and programming with NS10's for about 9 years now,
and I've never regret I bought them!
Shurely they suck; they mids are hyped, the lows are not there, BUT, they are really easy to mix with, you can exaggerate with reverb, with vocals, pretty much with everything; you don't have to mix carefully with these speakers.
Everytime I listen to a cd of Michael Jackson, Jodeci, The Beatles, Slayer, or Abba, I notice that the vocals are always very upfront through the NS10's.
That's why, it's quite easy to make a good mix, and not worrying about the vocals being too loud in the mix, or too much reverb being used, once you get to know the sound of these speakers.
I don't like 'shy' speakers, I want to have lots of headroom to play with, that's why I still use NS10's.
Old 18th June 2008
Lives for gear

Old 18th June 2008
Lives for gear

I went to Studiospares and had a listen in their showroom.
They are rubbish.
Sound nothing like an NS10 and not something I would want to mix a record on.

They look the part (sort of) but that is about it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search