The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UBK Fatso
Old 12th May 2017
Gear Head

Was getting close to having a mini hissy fit as nothing seemed to be working but running my voltmeter continuity test showed the TS plug was ****ed internally- it looked perfect externally. It all works like a charm now and I'm super stoked to be able to run summed mono or two separate channels. WIN.

Just need to find a suitable EQ for selective frequency adjustment- preferably parametric and it is all done.
Old 13th May 2017
Gear Head

Awesome, glad you got there in the end. Yes an EQ on the sidechain would be a nice addition. There's bound to be some simple half rack space parametric or graphic out there that would do the job - though it may make your splitmix redundant if the EQ has a master volume!
Old 13th May 2017
Gear Addict

I use an alesis MEQ 230 - works great. 2 channels and lots of frequence options.
Old 20th June 2018
Here for the gear

Red face

Looking into getting a Fatso but I'm put off by the lack of Threshold knob, and the instruction to "just get a cheap device to put on the insert" with no real further info as to how to actually wire this up.

Is the main way people are doing this via the TC Level Pilot?

If so, I still am very confused (after reading this thread) as to how to mod the Level Pilot, as no one has linked to the specific cable needed, or posted a diagram as to how to hook it up properly.
Old 21st June 2018
Gear Addict

it's very simple and gives a much wider range of use for the compressor and HF limiter.

Just use a 1/4 inch y cable to the in and out of the device and then to the insert on the Fatso.

I have used MXR eq pedals.. but i like using an Alesis M-eq 320 best as I can tailor the frequency
it responds to better (like a sidechain filter etc).
Old 21st July 2018
Here for the gear

Hi there, anyone has a link for the original HQ demo video of the UBK Fatso? The you tube versions of the video looks like downgraded in video/audio quality.
Old 22nd July 2018
Gear Head

This is a (slight) improvement on the youtube one: The UBK Fatso: Spank with Attitude & Vibe on Vimeo
Old 15th August 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by amentini View Post
Hi there, anyone has a link for the original HQ demo video of the UBK Fatso? The you tube versions of the video looks like downgraded in video/audio quality.

Most of that is due to 2008 handheld camera image quality with crappy lighting done in my dank NYC apartment before I had a clue about anything. The original does not look much better than what you see on YouTube

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

What’s a 500 series alternative to the ubk Fatso if there even is one?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

In 500 series, AFAIK you’d pretty much have to chase down a separate compressor for each of the UBK fatso’s circuits, and potentially a separate unit for its tape-esque clipping and hf smoothing... But it definitely won’t sound the same, and you might still be missing some of the sidechain features.

That being said, if we’re talking about the concept and not sonics, then maybe check out DIYRE’s Colour: https://www.diyrecordingequipment.co...ections/colour
It’s got 3 slots for different modules that are designed for a certain sound, for example you could decide you want an all-buttons-in-1176, a big British transformer, and a tape-like module.

I haven’t given these a try myself, just have been eyeballing them for a while and they seem interesting. But for what it’s worth, I don’t think I would sell a UBK Fatso to get this instead, personally!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie Monsta View Post
In 500 series, AFAIK you’d pretty much have to chase down a separate compressor for each of the UBK fatso’s circuits, and potentially a separate unit for its tape-esque clipping and hf smoothing... But it definitely won’t sound the same, and you might still be missing some of the sidechain features.

That being said, if we’re talking about the concept and not sonics, then maybe check out DIYRE’s Colour: https://www.diyrecordingequipment.co...ections/colour
It’s got 3 slots for different modules that are designed for a certain sound, for example you could decide you want an all-buttons-in-1176, a big British transformer, and a tape-like module.

I haven’t given these a try myself, just have been eyeballing them for a while and they seem interesting. But for what it’s worth, I don’t think I would sell a UBK Fatso to get this instead, personally!
Thanks for the detailed response. I‘ve been eyeing the Colour stuff too but it seems only some stuff is worth the hassle.
Why do expensive things always sound so good sigh. Am not getting into rack gear anytime soon due to size constraints but the fatso really does seem unique for punch and mojo. Too bad they don’t make 500 stuff also.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninc View Post
it's very simple and gives a much wider range of use for the compressor and HF limiter.

Just use a 1/4 inch y cable to the in and out of the device and then to the insert on the Fatso.

I have used MXR eq pedals.. but i like using an Alesis M-eq 320 best as I can tailor the frequency
it responds to better (like a sidechain filter etc).
Behringer FBQ800 is another option. 9 bands in a small form factor (although not separate for left and right -- which is fine for my purposes). It has an overall level so you can set all bands to zero and use it like a simple threshold knob. Another nice feature is the 6dB & 12dB range button, which doubles the boost or cut across all bands. Useful if you want to exaggerate the results to help dial in a setting.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search