The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Buzz Audio REQ-2.2
Old 5th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrant
In any event, we will (should) have a working unit at AES in Oct, and the price will certainly be pinned down by then. I am confident it will not be too "over the top".
You better, this elephant never forgets. I expect to check it on the flight home.

hehe

Quote:
edit: I meant to add that the power toggle switch has been replaced with a pushbutton type switch. This suggestion was given to us, the thought being that if the unit is laying flat in a Mastering console, shirt sleeves can easily catch the toggle and turn off the unit (or break off the toggle), thank you Graemme from Zen Mastering in Canada for your input!
Like Deeg above, I'd say this should be protected or even on the back. Of course, if you're doing an outboard PSU (hint, hint) then it matters not...
Old 5th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-G
And Tim, my mastering console and I are very eagerly looking forward to having one of these around for an audition!
I am looking for a new wife
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

HAHAHAHAHA @ Dave !
Old 5th August 2005
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell
i maybe in the same boat, i have the hots for this thing but i am trying to have some restraint.
Old 6th August 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-G
Tim... I hope the pushbutton has a surround-collar (like the record button on some tape recorder remotes), or that it's a pushbutton that requires a good bit of pressure to engage -- some of the lighter-actioned pushbuttons out there are also at risk for being accidentally thrown -- for example, when leaning (or brushing) the edge of a hand across the unit to tweak the saturation knobs (when face-up in a mastering console).

And Tim, my mastering console and I are very eagerly looking forward to having one of these around for an audition! Cheers!

-dave
Thanks Dave, the power button will be recessed into the front panel, it will be hard to accidently disengage it. There is a bypass relay so if the power does get switched off the whole unit is bypassed, no loud thumps or bangs.

Tim.
Old 8th August 2005
MGA
Gear Addict

Pipeline

Hello Tim,

Some yaers ago you were asking for comments on ad/da converters. Is there a product still in the pipeline?

Regards

MG @ MGA
Old 15th August 2008

Well, 3 years on almost to the day, I am pleased to announce we are now ACTUALLY BUILDING this damn thing and we will be shipping the first units out before the end of the month (all going to plan).

Believe me, there is a lot of work and engineering in the REQ, and I will post some internal shots as they come to hand so you can appreciate what you are paying for. Depending on the exchange rate which is pretty unstable right now, the Recording version will be approx US$6800, the Mastering version another US$800 or so.

How does it sound? - this is HIGH END, nothing else!

Cheers
Tim

Here's a shot of the real thing...
Attached Thumbnails
Buzz Audio REQ-2.2-req8medium.gif  
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrant View Post

Well, 3 years on almost to the day, I am pleased to announce we are now ACTUALLY BUILDING this damn thing and we will be shipping the first units out before the end of the month (all going to plan).

Believe me, there is a lot of work and engineering in the REQ, and I will post some internal shots as they come to hand so you can appreciate what you are paying for. Depending on the exchange rate which is pretty unstable right now, the Recording version will be approx US$6800, the Mastering version another US$800 or so.

Cheers
Tim

impressive!

what's up with dcs-2.2?

one question, would it be technically possible with eq's to stereo couple two sets of controls (l/r) so that you can control both sides from one set of knobs? never seen that - like with compressors?

i really don't like two fiddle with two sides on stereo material (and it's almost never necessary). the more complex and powerful the eq the less. that's why i have a gyratec XIV heh
Old 16th August 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by futur2 View Post
impressive!

what's up with dcs-2.2?
That is next on the list to complete.

Quote:
one question, would it be technically possible with eq's to stereo couple two sets of controls (l/r) so that you can control both sides from one set of knobs? never seen that - like with compressors?
With this type of design, it's pretty tricky to do that, and it would mean a lot of extra parts and expensive switches.
Old 16th August 2008
Mastering Moderator

Quote:

Cheers
Tim

thumbsup Congrats for the new baby!
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
That is next on the list to complete.
great!

Quote:
With this type of design, it's pretty tricky to do that, and it would mean a lot of extra parts and expensive switches.
interesting... so that means it's possible. which are designs where this would be easier to implement? really wonder why nobody ever (?) did that? i know a lot of people complaining about having to double set up eq...
Old 16th August 2008
Congratulations Tim, can't wait to hear this babythumbsupthumbsup
Old 17th August 2008
congrat!! thumbsupthumbsup
Old 20th August 2008
Gear Nut

I was lucky enough to use this when it was only one side and in it's very nearly finished state to track some vocals with.

Everyone who's ordered already is in for a treat!
Old 20th August 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by futur2 View Post
interesting... so that means it's possible. which are designs where this would be easier to implement? really wonder why nobody ever (?) did that? i know a lot of people complaining about having to double set up eq...
Well if we built a stereo only EQ (1 set of controls), that would be easier than building one that could run dual mono (2 sets of controls) AND stereo (via 1 set of controls) if that makes sense.
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Well if we built a stereo only EQ (1 set of controls), that would be easier than building one that could run dual mono (2 sets of controls) AND stereo (via 1 set of controls) if that makes sense.
yeah makes sense. i guess this is is the reason why only dual mono OR a few stereo only EQs exist. i just wondered how much more difficult and expensive this could be? seems much much more...

but nonetheless i'm pretty positive people would welcome such a swiss army knife very much!
Old 26th August 2008
500 series nutjob

a bump
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Best name for an EQ ever.

Any chance we can see some gut shots?
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Recording version will be approx US$6800, the Mastering version another US$800 or so.
5500-6000 street was my expectation.
How does it differ from SPL Passeq ?
Old 1st September 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Kuhnley View Post
Best name for an EQ ever.

Any chance we can see some gut shots?
Hahaha! Thanks Wes. You can now find some internal shots here...

REQ-2.2 Resonance Equalizer

Click on the thumbs down the left hand side.

We are also reviewing the pricing given the NZ$ has fallen a little and will update shortly. I know it's not a cheap box, but when you look inside you can see why.

Cheers
Tim.
Old 1st September 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
How does it differ from SPL Passeq ?
I assume the Passeq is a fully passive eq with just one gain makeup amp, but I do not know the exact detail of it's topology.

The REQ has an amp for every band, but uses passive inductor/capacitor networks to develop the eq responses, which are applied to the amp using a Baxandall feedback type boost/cut circuit.

Tim
Old 1st September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hahaha! Thanks Wes. You can now find some internal shots here...

REQ-2.2 Resonance Equalizer

Click on the thumbs down the left hand side.

We are also reviewing the pricing given the NZ$ has fallen a little and will update shortly. I know it's not a cheap box, but when you look inside you can see why.

Cheers
Tim.

So there is a card for each band...and input and output amplifiers are on the back card...looks really cool!
Old 2nd September 2008
500 series nutjob

very nice Tim: )~
glad to see it is finally happening!!!!
Old 7th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I assume the Passeq is a fully passive eq with just one gain makeup amp, but I do not know the exact detail of it's topology.

The REQ has an amp for every band, but uses passive inductor/capacitor networks to develop the eq responses, which are applied to the amp using a Baxandall feedback type boost/cut circuit.

Tim
Thx Tim.
Would be nice to hear some reports from the first users.
Passeq is very good EQ (or great at price), but gain amp is not quite neutral (or pleasant) sounding (specially in mid highs and highs) as I would prefer.
I believe that REQ will be amazing.
Old 7th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
Passeq is very good EQ (or great at price), but gain amp is not quite neutral (or pleasant) sounding (specially in mid highs and highs) as I would prefer.
Interesting, that was my exact feeling with my brief audition.
Old 8th September 2008
The first few should be arriving in the US in the next 2-3 weeks.
Old 10th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
The first few should be arriving in the US in the next 1-2 weeks.
Lucky owners would hopefully be among GS members
Any special early adopeters pricing ?
Old 25th September 2008

Pricing update for US readers...

REQ standard $5995
REQ mastering $6995

Subject to the exchange rate remaining stable.

Cheers
Tim.
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
The first few should be arriving in the US in the next 2-3 weeks.
So did you get them? what do you think? Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search