Lucas Engineering announce - The new Lucas CS-1 Microphone

http://www.compasspointstudios.com/l...s-1_story.html

Looks very special.

Old 25th December 2008
Lives for gear

well my loved brauner vma which was made too claim the montain

TOO BECOME A MODERN CLASSIC ON HIS OWN
which it is indeed.

interessting that they picked Dipl. Ing. R. Wohlleb former telefunken ela m designer

and another former eng. from schoeps which can end up in a interessting product.

some thinks will make you sceptical

in the commercial paper they wrote:

Oliver and Terry's answer is: "We are not Cloners, and we have not made, and will not make, a clone.

oliver achut is in my knowledge a former guitar player with no history by aeg telefunken .... and just bought the brand telefunken from another non telefunken company so why all that hot air ....(and imho he made not the best clones out there).

another point is the custom tube they will build in with a astimated livetime of

50,000 hours.

did they honestly really ! tested the distortion and noise factor.

we will see if the first comparrision from roundbadge jules .... is here

so long 3,4k us is alot of money beside

REALY NICE SOUNDING !!!

flea c12s 47 ...wagners 47 brauners vma ......
Old 25th December 2008
Here for the gear

I think that the mic looks to be a winner:

1. People and their history/track record- Terry's Taste and experience and Olivers Circuit design and expertise Jeff's mechanical understanding, TAB's construction ethics.

2. The components appear to be exellent also The great capsule from Bock audio, Famed Vintage Mullard tubes, Tab Funkwerk Transformers, the body looks great, Jeff's Swivel mount!. (tired of the spider mounts like me anyone?)

3. limited #'s (look at the Brauner KHE)

4. For the dark fetish this one is Back in Black. (I like that)

Sound estimating,

We actually have something to go on here, While there are many new elements to the design it shares one of its most imoprtant components with the great Bock 251.

The Bock 251 is a fantastic mic - if this one is related to that it already
holds much promise to be good. Considering it is offering it own merits in spades I can not wait to hear The Lucas CS-1!

There is so much stuff out there but I had to speak up when this one seemed to be unreasonabely questioned/criticized. As I have said the signs look very good that this mic should be a great value as a tool as well as the limited #'s should affect the resale value.

Best wishes and merry Xmas/ Happy all holidays -j
Old 25th December 2008
Gear Addict

Oliver Archut and AEG Telefunken

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpark View Post

oliver achut is in my knowledge a former guitar player with no history by aeg telefunken .... and just bought the brand telefunken from another non telefunken company so why all that hot air ....(and imho he made not the best clones out there).
Since wildpark posted such wildly inaccurate information, I am compelled to report the truth.

Oliver was in fact employed by AEG Daimler (the successor to AEG Telefunken) as an Electrical Engineer.

Oliver did not buy the rights to the Telefunken name in the U.S. or anywhere else.

Just doing my part to keep the internet honest.
Old 25th December 2008
Here for the gear

We will all see what it is about what it drops!

I still want to hear the KHE for that matter also but I can not find one..

Happy Xmas/holidays to everyone

One good thing abou the CS-1 is there should be ample examples after they ship as the folks who picked it up are likely of the "posting sort" so everyone should be able to get and idea--

I hope that Jeff Roberts starts offering swivels for other mics too! I want some U47 ones and Bock audio ones!

Some vintage swivels are $500+ on ebay wow...

When I ordered my CS I did not know about the swivel I knw it may seem silly to some but the charcoal black and swivel are huge attractions for me.

I hope that they offer a spare parts kit as we all know what happens years from now-- I think I will post that over on the other site too..

Looks like I got taken by yet another internet site- I avaioded this one for so long-- first Facebook to say hi to a lost friend and not sluttiness! heaven help us -j
Old 25th December 2008
Gear Head

CS-1 spares components?

To answer John, I posted this on PSW:

Well, we are firstly guaranteeing that we will stock all parts of the CS-1 for at least ten years.

The transformers will never be a problem as long as Oliver is around us, which with good fortune should be at minimum another 65 years.

A "spare major components kit" would indeed be an invitation to some to mess about, and it would cost quite a bit. That capsule alone is very, very expensive. Landed in the US it is alone more than the total cost of many microphones. We will check with David about a policy on that.

As for the tubes, again we are guaranteeing to have them for as long as any of us are alive. We are in possession of literally thousands of them. They will always be available to registered owners for a very reasonable cost.

We plan that will serve all well.
Old 25th December 2008
Gear Addict

Though I can't find it now, I think I read you're including one spare tube, right?
Old 25th December 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Lird View Post
Though I can't find it now, I think I read you're including one spare tube, right?
"By the way, each microphone will be shipped in a metal flight case, with the mic itself inside a beautiful wooden box. A spare tube will also be included with each unit.

Thanks again!

Terry & Oliver"

Yep it will-here is the payment email they sent to me and included that info with it
Old 26th December 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by compasspnt View Post
To answer John, I posted this on PSW:

Well, we are firstly guaranteeing that we will stock all parts of the CS-1 for at least ten years.

The transformers will never be a problem as long as Oliver is around us, which with good fortune should be at minimum another 65 years.

A "spare major components kit" would indeed be an invitation to some to mess about, and it would cost quite a bit. That capsule alone is very, very expensive. Landed in the US it is alone more than the total cost of many microphones. We will check with David about a policy on that.

As for the tubes, again we are guaranteeing to have them for as long as any of us are alive. We are in possession of literally thousands of them. They will always be available to registered owners for a very reasonable cost.

We plan that will serve all well.
Thanks Terry That sounds like you guys have it worked out- Perfect!
-j

I can not wait to hear them!
Old 26th December 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker View Post
"By the way, each microphone will be shipped in a metal flight case, with the mic itself inside a beautiful wooden box. A spare tube will also be included with each unit.

Thanks again!

Terry & Oliver"

Yep it will-here is the payment email they sent to me and included that info with it
Ha! That's where I read it.

#88 here, btw...

Woo hoo!
Old 28th December 2008
Lives for gear

I, for one, am VERY much looking forward to the delivery of our Lucas CS-1 #072.
Thank you.
Old 28th December 2008
Keep on topic please or risk a ban from this forum..
Old 29th December 2008
Gear Addict

Thanks Jules.
Old 30th December 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktor Velthuijs View Post
#067 and #068 here. They are a present together with a modified Benchmark PRE420.

Hope the person in question will like it.
Sorry, you bought those as a gift for someone else?!?!
Old 30th December 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktor Velthuijs View Post
#067 and #068 here. They are a present together with a modified Benchmark PRE420.

Hope the person in question will like it.
Viktor, are you Santa?
#090 & #091 here. Bring 'em on.

Cheers
Old 30th December 2008
Lives for gear

#75 here
Old 31st December 2008
Lives for gear

I could have had number 004 (right after Davids number 002 & 003) but I chose number 13 instead... it always brings me good luck.
Old 3rd January 2009
Gear Maniac

#'s 44 and 45 are coming to Wisconsin! Ya hey dere!
Old 3rd January 2009
Gear Addict

34 and 36!
Old 4th January 2009
Gear Addict

Jason, have I ever told you how much I USED to like you?!?

hey wait you borrowed my VM-1...

ok, I take it all back...
Old 4th January 2009
Gear Addict

Sure, come on by, borrow the CS-1's. Might as well take the Shadow Hills mastering comp, and the three retro 176's too
Old 6th January 2009
Gear Addict

Some new action shots posted over on PSW.
Attached Thumbnails
Lucas Engineering announce - The new Lucas CS-1 Microphone-1.jpg   Lucas Engineering announce - The new Lucas CS-1 Microphone-2.jpg   Lucas Engineering announce - The new Lucas CS-1 Microphone-3.jpg   Lucas Engineering announce - The new Lucas CS-1 Microphone-4.jpg  
Old 6th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Lird View Post
Some new action shots posted over on PSW.
Those pics are cool but they would be great with accompanying sound clips.
Old 6th January 2009
Lives for gear

I don't get sound clips as they tell you nothing about a mic really. Moving any mic one inch will make it sound like a completely different mic... so what's the point really.

Mics are like camera lens, please get over trying to find "the best" camera lens everyone (like mics, they don't exist) and get back to making music. Thank you.
Old 6th January 2009
Jam
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
I don't get sound clips as they tell you nothing about a mic really. Moving any mic one inch will make it sound like a completely different mic... so what's the point really.
While I totally agree with the truth of what you're saying, it seems reasonable to suggest that that sound clips tell you more about the sound of a mic than pictures.

It's also worth mentioning for those of us outside the US it's very hard to get a lot of the boutique gear on loan or even on hire.

So sound clips are not without their value, it just shouldn't be over estimated.

James
Old 13th January 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post

Mics are like camera lens, please get over trying to find "the best" camera lens everyone (like mics, they don't exist) and get back to making music. Thank you.
So what's the point of even getting this mic then? Wouldn't a cheaper clone do just as well since we can just move it around til we get a comparable sound. heh
Old 21st January 2009
Gear Head

CS-1 Schedule Update

The microphones and Power Supplies are being built right now, components have come on schedule, and all is going very well.

The only things we are waiting on are the accoutrement...

The flight cases, wood boxes and foam pop filters are ordered and are supposedly on the way, but we haven't had positive confirmation of shipment on those yet.

Shouldn't be any real problem or anything, we hope to hear confirmation this week.

Of course we are not going to ship microphones until all of the extra stuff is here, so they can travel safely in the proper case.

Looks like, if those extra things come on schedule, or near, that we will be able to start shipping the first microphones about the end of the first week of February.

This is just a few days behind our very first hopeful estimates, made a couple of months ago; so we feel pretty good about things.

Now that we are nearing the end of the first phase, we have just started finding out if we can source everything to make that second run of 100. Hopefully we can find all that out very soon, and make some plans.

A couple of you good folks have asked if your credit cards went through OK, or if the wire transfers or checks were received...we will do an inventory on all deposits this week, and let everyone know who was asking about that.
Old 21st January 2009
This mic looks really intriguing! Anyone have comments as to how it actually sounds?
It seems that some of you are already using it, so . . .well . . . WHAT DOES IT SOUND LIKE!
Old 21st January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Preamp View Post
WHAT DOES IT SOUND LIKE!
Well, food for thought.
Expectations are indeed high and price point right.
So far Oliver's products were always excellent.
Still, making really great mic might be challenge, so we'll see.
Old 22nd January 2009
Gear Head

Hearing CS-1

The first microphones are just about to be delivered.

Most of what I have recorded with them over the past few months is copyrighted material, and not yet released.

But you can hear and see it (two of them, vox/gtr) about half way through this video, in the studio shots:

BMI- Nassau 08
📝 Reply