The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lucas Engineering announce - The new Lucas CS-1 Microphone
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Head

CS-1 Progress

Word from Oliver:

Hello Guys,

I just got word that the first 25 capsules (they are ordered in batches of 25) will be send on the 28th from Germany. So beginning of February they should be here and with assembly and testing the 2nd to 3rd week of Feb is now the estimated delivery date of the first mics.

I have a semi firm confirmation on flight cases and woodboxes; swivel mounts are turned right now so as soon they are here we can finish the mic cables.

Big thank you to Jeff that he went the extra mile on developing the swivel, I got the final sample earlier this week and it rocks.
Old 2nd March 2009
Gear Head

Is this still available? I've had no luck with email.
Old 2nd March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Fraser View Post
Is this still available? I've had no luck with email.
I know Terry had some email/server problems recently, so you might try again.
BUT - The 1st batch of 100 have all been spoken for, and there is no final decision on whether or not there will be another batch. (but things look hopeful, and I believe there is a waiting list)
For all info regarding the CS-1, you can sort through the (50 pages of) posts on this thread:

PSW Recording Forums: Whatever Works => New Microphone Announcement

Scott
Old 2nd March 2009
Gear Head

Thanks for the info, sent them another email.
Old 24th April 2009
Here for the gear

I have heard the CS-1 on multiple applications.
It is awesome!
Old 1st May 2009
Gear Head

CS-1 Photo

In case anyone didn't see the finished and cased CS-1 on another thread:

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/fa/12027/0/

Last edited by compasspnt; 1st May 2009 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: url
Old 1st May 2009
Old 7th June 2009
Lives for gear

Hey Oliver,

On a semi-related note. If I want to get some of those Lucas Engineering ACM1200 upgrade PCB's from you, what's the best way to do that?

thanks,
Brad
Old 7th June 2009
Gear Nut

Hello Brad,

Terrys guys send me over the PCBs and I am still in the middle of getting the CS-1s out.

That far my winding lady has made the 47, 49 and 12 x-former, it is now up to me to final test them. Will get them out ASAP.

Larry, most of the time I rather spend with my family than reading funny stuff.

If you like your mic, that is what counts, still hunting on that connector.

Best regards,
Old 7th June 2009
Lives for gear
Are you guys still taking orders for the second 100? Can someone give a ballpark as to what the sound is like?
Old 7th June 2009
Gear Addict

maybe

maybe im a tart, but where is the price ? and how do you buy these ?
Old 8th June 2009
Gear Nut

Seems like my last post was deleted, maybe I have to rephrase it to make Jules happy.

Seems like that some members of this forum are misinformed about my person and in order to
keep in honest here it is.

I did work for AEG/Daimler Benz, formally known as AEG-Telefunken and during my time there I saved a bunch of the original Blueprints.
I do not build clones, I build gear based upon the historic Telefunken designs.
I do play guitar.

Hope that straighten things out.

By the way it seems that the gentleman did not read the CS-1 announcement proper, Rudolf DID NOT DESIGN the ELA M25x this gentleman died 12 years ago.
But Rudolf is the man if it comes to tubes, after all he is responsible for the greatest tubes ever made at Telefunken.

Best regards,
Old 12th June 2009
I think a few more mics of the second 100 are still available. I hopefully locked in #176 a few days ago. Waiting in drooling anticipation!
Old 13th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankymax View Post
I think a few more mics of the second 100 are still available. I hopefully locked in #176 a few days ago. Waiting in drooling anticipation!
Less than 10 now. I've been thinking about buying a third one, so I better make up my mind pretty fast.

I was cutting classical guitar yesterday and tried all sorts of mic's (mainly SDC's) one particular KM84 sounded the best, I had two of those on hand. I also had a KM56 in there and a Schoeps CM66 (both are AC 701 tube mic's). None of them actually sounded like the guitar in the room sound that I was hearing, so for fun I put up the CS-1 (I don't usually use LDC's for acoustic guitars)... well guess what? The sound coming back from the CS-1 sounded exactly like the guitar in the room... I also found that I had to back the guitar off about a foot more to get the proximity effect to clam down and match the SDC's. That reach thing again.

The CS-1 always sounds like the source being mic'd... much like with a B&K or DPA mic but with that big huge tube sound throw in as well... not muffled tube, not noisy tube, just huge tube sound (love the low's and mid's on this mic and the high end is one of the best I've ever heard out of a tube mic).

Later in the day I played around with vocals again (my own) and I must say I've never had a mic give me both the classic sound and this level of detail. My stereo Russian Popov mic has always been one of my favorites for it's level of detail and reach, same with a U67 (when I want that smoothed off top end sound and more mid forward) but the CS-1 shows me more that any other mic what I've been missing in the sound being captured... I'm just amazed.

One more thing. I'm finding that I can't use this mic in the same old positions I've gotten use to... it just captures so much more of the source that I have to back it off 6 to 12 inches more when in the cardioid position. I did try the suggestion of one or two clicks toward omni (wide cardioid) made the mikes top end sound just like an M49... then you can position the mic in more traditional ways.

To all adopters of this mic, be ready to experiment as this mic will naturally make you want to... what a powerful lens into the audio world we've all been given!
Old 14th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Later in the day I played around with vocals again (my own) and I must say I've never had a mic give me both the classic sound and this level of detail. My stereo Russian Popov mic has always been one of my favorites for it's level of detail and reach, same with a U67 (when I want that smoothed off top end sound and more mid forward) but the CS-1 shows me more that any other mic what I've been missing in the sound being captured... I'm just amazed.

One more thing. I'm finding that I can't use this mic in the same old positions I've gotten use to... it just captures so much more of the source that I have to back it off 6 to 12 inches more when in the cardioid position. I did try the suggestion of one or two clicks toward omni (wide cardioid) made the mikes top end sound just like an M49... then you can position the mic in more traditional ways.

To all adopters of this mic, be ready to experiment as this mic will naturally make you want to... what a powerful lens into the audio world we've all been given!
Oh, you're making the wait for this mic hard to take! I just can't wait till I get mine.
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

Got an email from Terry this morning and there is only one CS-1 left to sell out of the second batch and then they are done... "it's now or never..."
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Nut

Any chance for a third batch?

Any Chance for a third batch?
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Got an email from Terry this morning and there is only one CS-1 left to sell out of the second batch and then they are done... "it's now or never..."
Thanks for the heads up, Larry! Man, these puppies went fast! I procrastinated on the KHE and missed out. Luckily, I snagged up the last CS-1. Too bad there weren't two left....
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcCirDude View Post
Thanks for the heads up, Larry! Man, these puppies went fast! I procrastinated on the KHE and missed out. Luckily, I snagged up the last CS-1. Too bad there weren't two left....
Good deal, man you are gonna love this mic!

I've got one in the second batch coming as well!
Old 4th May 2018
Lives for gear

FYI, I am selling one of my three Lucas CS-1. Wish I could keep all three, but it's difficult nowadays to run a big recording studio, and nevertheless pay the rent, and eat.
Old 29th October 2018
Gear Addict

At long last a pair of CS-1s (82 & 83) are headed my way... Very excited to acquire this little bit of Oliver's mojo.
📝 Reply