The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Macbook and Macbook Pro released today
Old 14th October 2008
Lives for gear

New Macbook and Macbook Pro released today

Pretty cool stuff.

I think they may have taken some light way from the AIR.

Apple
Old 14th October 2008
Lives for gear

Nice screen...
Old 14th October 2008
As predicted, no more Firewire in the Macbook... very interesting. And annoying.
Old 14th October 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
As predicted, no more Firewire in the Macbook... very interesting. And annoying.
indeed annoying.. i just bought an apogee duet recently and would love to upgrade to a macbook.. what are apogee gonna do about this as it seems their main partners in recent sound cards are apple (ensemble & duet). and the duet is designed for portable use!
any ideas or speculations?
Old 14th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes... quite lame. (as is a single port for the MBP too).
Old 14th October 2008
Lives for gear
design is very nice. price still a bit high. 200 bucks cheaper on all levels and it would still be seen as a premium laptop and get lots more customers.
Old 14th October 2008
Apple is losing it!

The new macbook costs more than the old one, and has less connections.

You basically have to buy the 17" MacBook Pro to get the connections you got in the old entry level model.

You have to buy a display port adapter to connect it to your current monitor (unless it has display port already).

No quad cores, minimal speed bump, same ram limitation, no matte screen, and its ugly IMO.

The last good move Apple made (as far as professional development) was making the MacPro double quad as standard.
Old 14th October 2008
My MacPro based rig is excellent but i am trying to set up a new mobile rig. And honestly, while it'll still be macbook pro based, the previous model is looking 2x better than this one
Old 14th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
this sucks bad.. just noticed that on the 13"
Old 14th October 2008
Lives for gear

I have to admit. I like the look of the new Macbooks (I mean plastic was never sexy) but these are not good moves for Apple in this economy.

No firewire which means that a Mac notebook Duet system now costs you a full grand more today than it did with the former generation.

I do like DisplayPort and there should be adapters that allow for VGA and DVI connections .

I'm saddened that all the developers that supported Firewire have now seen their opportunities diminish significantly. A $2000 entry level price for a firewire enabled laptop in today's economy may as well be $4k. Too expensive.

Plastic Macbooks will retain their value because of today's decision at least for audio heads.

I do like the 24" LED CD. It's spendy like all Apple products but if you have a Macbook and this display you have a very clean setup. I'm assuming though that the screen is a quality IPS screen.
Old 14th October 2008
Gear Nut

maybe this will push apogee into making windows drivers!
Old 14th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
What an incredibly stupid move by Apple. Oh well, perhaps my MacBook won't loose so much value now if I should sell it
Old 14th October 2008
Gear Maniac

USB 3!!!
Apple knows it's coming and wants us all to get used to not using firewire.

Also the new macbook would take a LOT of MBP sales so in a digidesign way of thinking they have crippled the MB so you must buy the MBP if you work in pro media (audio,photography,film).
Old 14th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickrich View Post
USB 3!!!
Apple knows it's coming and wants us all to get used to not using firewire.

Also the new macbook would take a LOT of MBP sales so in a digidesign way of thinking they have crippled the MB so you must buy the MBP if you work in pro media (audio,photography,film).
No.. Apple will support USB 3 but their connection of choice will still be Firewire for Pro's.

Firewire 3200 approved

So this is really Apple causing an unecessary distinction between consumer and pro laptops. Consumer laptops will have USB and Pro laptops will have FW and Expresscard slots and a much higher pricetag.

The reason why Apple was forced to do this is because now that the Macbooks are aluminum there's would not be that desire to spend $700 more if the only thing people got were discrete graphics and a few more features.
Old 14th October 2008
GSF
Gear Addict
I'm an strictly Apple user of 20 years, but this exclusion of firewire 400 almost feels like an insult.
Old 14th October 2008
Here for the gear

No more firewire

Sooo I put my Macbook Pro on ebay last week because I wanted to downgrade to one of the new Macbooks. (I just don't like how big the Macbook Pro is) But without the firewire on the macbook, how am I going to use the Duet? Is there a comparable USB based audio interface to the DUET? This sucks.
Old 14th October 2008
Gear Head

Somebody needs to slap the hell out of Jobs for this. I've been saving my cash to but a new MBP but now that I've seen them, I think I'll end up getting a new keyboard this year.
Old 14th October 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF View Post
I'm an strictly Apple user of 20 years, but this exclusion of firewire 400 almost feels like an insult.
me either can't understand, I have lynx auroa 8 with fire card and ordered Orpheus. Tought to buy new MBP when it comes, but with those specs. there is no use for it ... and how about apogee Duet and Enseble – apple co-operate ...
Old 14th October 2008
Gear Maniac

FW 400 omission on the Macbooks is a pain, but then lets be honest it was always going to go that way. FW is exclusively used for pro applications, fewer and fewer off-the-shelf hard-drives support it, and it's not unfair to deliver a single product line with an entry level and a pro model.

However, on this basis the prices are still far too high. In the UK nearly £2000 for a top spec new mbp. That's too much, and it will (again) dissuade me from upgrading. Secondly, just one fw port on the new mbp is a travesty. It means that once you have connected your soundcard, you are without any other options. Nail in the coffin for those TC portable powercores? Most definitely I'm afraid. Though it's nice to imagine that 320GB will keep a pro in work forever, it's simply not realistic, so at least one USB port will always have to go to hd duties. Hence, once dongles are attached, there's nothing left.

If I was a hardware developer who has been pouring money into fw solely for Apple portables I would be pretty pssed.
Old 14th October 2008
Gear Nut

No matte screen, no firewire ? Very disappointing.
Old 14th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotacowboy View Post
Is there a comparable USB based audio interface to the DUET? This sucks.
Yes, Apogee had the Mini DAC (which rocks hard!) and the MiniMe which was awesome also. They were twice the price, ran on PC and Mac and USB.

They also sound better.

There is also the Sound Devices USB Pre which I have heard sounds really nice and clean.

USBPre Microphone Interface for Computer Audio | Sound Devices, LLC
Old 14th October 2008
Well, bear in mind that Macbooks with firewire will now be cheap(er) - especially as refurbs - while supplies last. So might be worth picking one up if you need a small solution now. I know I'm tempted.
Old 14th October 2008
Lives for gear

The MacBook Pro has firewire.

One thing I'm confused about though: where are the 17" models? I have a 17" MBP and I can't go back to 15!

- c
Old 14th October 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
I friggin can't believe it - what an irritating decision from Apple.

lD
Old 14th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by semtek View Post
FW 400 omission on the Macbooks is a pain, but then lets be honest it was always going to go that way. FW is exclusively used for pro applications, fewer and fewer off-the-shelf hard-drives support it, and it's not unfair to deliver a single product line with an entry level and a pro model.
Problem is fw400 is still available in the entry level macbook model...
Thats a real confusing message to the buyers.

Quote:
FW is exclusively used for pro applications
NO TARGET DISK MODE???
Old 14th October 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
The MacBook Pro has firewire.

One thing I'm confused about though: where are the 17" models? I have a 17" MBP and I can't go back to 15!

- c
Apparently they're "under refresh" or something. So standby, it'll be a soft launch sooner than later.

Indeed the MBP does have firewire, but only one 800 port. That's annoying too. At least my current MBP has an 800 and a 400 port. I know they share a bus, but just having those extra ports is still handy...

I'm actually really pissed off with this entire update and now I'm thinking PC + Pro Tools or Pyramix is the way forward...
Old 14th October 2008
Lives for gear

the 15" comes in 2.4, 2.53, & 2.8ghz
the 17" comes in 2.5 & 2.6ghz

Is APPLE thinking like Digi? heh

and one te firewire port thing... can't you just buy a 400-800 adapter?
i know it still sucks only having on port.
Old 14th October 2008
Gear Addict

yeah tis update is a real joke

macbook white is still available but no black one anymore but still the best macbook thumbsup

new macbooks no firewire yup no firewire guess I have to say it again because I think nobody will believe me so once again THE NEW MACBOOK = NO FIREWIRE thumbsup

new macbook pro's again they dropped a firewire port so all you loyal users cant use there external hd's en HD camera's etc. at the same time thumbsup

new 24 inch display not usable for loyal customers thumbsup

glossy glossy and more glossy displays no more choice thumbsup

its clear pro means nothing anymore its the apple way
Old 14th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozion View Post
Problem is fw400 is still available in the entry level macbook model...
Thats a real confusing message to the buyers.

NO TARGET DISK MODE???
How many non-pros, and I mean by that people not on this forum who for example use the mac for word processing, storing photos and checking their facebook, do you know who use target disk mode regularly in their day to day workflow?

Bear in mind that the large majority of people who use macs can get by without features like this (in fact hell, I use a mac for audio work every day and I have not used target disk mode in over two years). As far as maintenance goes booting from the os disk is really not so bad.

Don't get me wrong, I think their uncompromising strategy is unnerving for pro users at the moment, but it is the consumer market they are after, and most consumers simply don't need these features.
Old 14th October 2008
Lives for gear

Wow. This makes me glad I pulled the trigger on a Mac Pro instead of waiting for this MBP update. First they partner with Apogee (i have an ensemble) and then they lob off the FW 400 port? Huh?
I love every aspect of the design, i really do. But oh man am I feeling good about having not sold my Macbook with FW right now!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search