Gear Addict

Digi 003 rack +

looks nice with 8 preamps
Old 3rd October 2008
Gear Addict

it would be cooler if they made one with no pre amps!!!! now that would be sexy
Old 3rd October 2008
Gear Nut

Yeah, i'm not sure what marketing research they had that said people were clamoring for MORE Digi pre's. 16 line-in's and out's with no preamps would've been more interesting to me.
Old 3rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgrignon View Post
Yeah, i'm not sure what marketing research they had that said people were clamoring for MORE Digi pre's. 16 line-in's and out's with no preamps would've been more interesting to me.

yeah! what he said.
Old 3rd October 2008
Lives for gear

an extra 8 channels of ADAT in would have been enough to rouse my interest. without that it's really no step up from the current offering
Old 3rd October 2008
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgrignon View Post
The lack of pre's was the reason for me not to upgrade to 003R (Still using the original MBox). I was just about to buy a secondhand RME Multiface, but now Digi is going to get my money
Old 3rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobson View Post
yeah! what he said.
I know tons of hobbyists that want an all in box. The 003 is not enough to track a band simultaneosly without the addition of outboard pre's. Its not a move for the professionals in anyway. I don't think the pre's are that atrocious anyway.
Old 3rd October 2008
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVVI View Post
and with more i/o. oh well.
Old 3rd October 2008
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
I know tons of hobbyists that want an all in box.
With the maximum word length of 24bit, I would suspect that the LE line is for hobbyists.
Old 3rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Man View Post
With the maximum word length of 24bit, I would suspect that the LE line is for hobbyists.
Old 3rd October 2008
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISCERN View Post
I'm ready get flamed

To my ears, there is a difference between 24bit ja 32bit wave files. The problem probably is in the conversion process from 32 to 24 bit (meaning the software used).

Here's one example. We go to a local studio to track. I ask for 24bit 44.1kHz. After the session has ended, I find out that I received 32bit 44.1kHz (recorder with Sonar 6 I think). After converting to 24bit, the tracks lost some of the dynamics (which should make sense, at least mathematically).

I was only supposed to do some pocketing at home before the session was send to mixing. As I didn't like the way the converted 24bit files sounded, I decided against pocketing at home with LE.

Sorry for going of topic!!!

Last edited by J-Man; 3rd October 2008 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: Can't type nore speak english...
Old 3rd October 2008
Gear Nut
Only 24bit?

WHAT! Is HD also only 16 and 24bit?

Now I feel even stupider than I normally do
Old 3rd October 2008
Quote:
I'm ready get flamed

To my ears, there is a difference between 24bit ja 32bit wave files. The problem probably is in the conversion process from 32 to 24 bit (meaning the software used).

Here's one example. We go to a local studio to track. I ask for 24bit 44.1kHz. After the session has ended, I find out that I received 32bit 44.1kHz (recorder with Sonar 6 I think). After converting to 24bit, the tracks lost some of the dynamics (which should make sense, at least mathematically).

I was only supposed to do some pocketing at home before the session was send to mixing. As I didn't like the way the converted 24bit files sounded, I decided against pocketing at home with LE.

Sorry for going of topic!!!
If you can hear a dynamic range of more than 144dB, you've got supersonic ears...I'm not saying you're not hearing a difference, but it isn't the bit depth. the whole thing of using 32bit files is for processing - no 24bit converters exist, you've always been listening to 24bit files. Maybe your offline conversion process isn't as good as the realtime conversion?

The best Prism converters are still 24 bit....maybe they're not pro either?!
Old 3rd October 2008
Gear Nut
My bad!

It must have been one of those moment's when the bypassed EQ is the "best I have ever heard".

It should be that by increasing bit depth, you can detect/store smaller fluctuations in the audio signal. This is what I meant by more dynamic. Like the loudest parts of the guitar tracks were more precise. Small variance between loudest peeks on the 32 bit instead of "equally loud" peeks on the 24bit. Well this doesn't do you much good if your converters don't work at 32bit...

There you go kids, lesson learned. You should work less and sleep more. It might save you from saying stupid things. Thank god it's Friday!

Anyhow, I still like the eight pres on the 003R+ and that's where my money is going. I can take it to band rehearsals with my laptop. Just what I've been looking for to record song ideas!
Old 3rd October 2008
Lives for gear

LE Line

The LE Line is not aimed at Professional studios. Can professional work be accomplished on it... of course. If you are a professional and count on your tools to make a living the LE Line is not for you. This is the great thing about Digidesign, they get it!

Alot of people cut there teeth on the LE system and they come on this forum and try to act as if they are seasoned veterans in the art of engineering. The truth is they are in the Minor Leagues. Hell, everybody has been in the minor leagues at some point.

I have never been in a professional facility and not seen a HD system. I have been in project rooms and seen LE systems but lets not lie to ourselves, most of us have Project Rooms!

Digi have came out with the same system and threw a couple of bones to make the emotionally charged crowd happy... the jet eyed mind trick. The Digi 001 with a decent converter thru ADAT in 2001 with a korg triton and a Pod on XP would have got you more work done then sitting here worrying about the next new technology cause honestly the LE line is for the those who want to record their on music. What ends up happening is they never make any music and end up becoming a self trained engineer lacking real world foundational engineering skills.

Sorry for the rant but anyone who mixes on a local level will see self engineers come in with the most terrible self recorded tracks. Dont worry about Mic Pres and Mics cause you have more serious problems than that. You should be able make great sounding tracks with an NT1-A and the Digi 003 pres if you know what your doing!

Just some thoughts...
Old 3rd October 2008
Gear Addict

i don't know if anyone noticed this, but the 003r factory and the 003r+ factory cost the same.....

Digi 003 rack +-picture-2.png

Digi 003 rack +-picture-3.png
Old 3rd October 2008
003R factories have dropped in price by about 25% at some places in the UK today, to move 'em out.
Old 3rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricfoxx View Post
The LE Line is not aimed at Professional studios. Can professional work be accomplished on it... of course. If you are a professional and count on your tools to make a living the LE Line is not for you. This is the great thing about Digidesign, they get it!

Alot of people cut there teeth on the LE system and they come on this forum and try to act as if they are seasoned veterans in the art of engineering. The truth is they are in the Minor Leagues. Hell, everybody has been in the minor leagues at some point.

I have never been in a professional facility and not seen a HD system. I have been in project rooms and seen LE systems but lets not lie to ourselves, most of us have Project Rooms!

Digi have came out with the same system and threw a couple of bones to make the emotionally charged crowd happy... the jet eyed mind trick. The Digi 001 with a decent converter thru ADAT in 2001 with a korg triton and a Pod on XP would have got you more work done then sitting here worrying about the next new technology cause honestly the LE line is for the those who want to record their on music. What ends up happening is they never make any music and end up becoming a self trained engineer lacking real world foundational engineering skills.

Sorry for the rant but anyone who mixes on a local level will see self engineers come in with the most terrible self recorded tracks. Dont worry about Mic Pres and Mics cause you have more serious problems than that. You should be able make great sounding tracks with an NT1-A and the Digi 003 pres if you know what your doing!

Just some thoughts...
Well great! I guess I should retire and brush up on my Star Wars movies!
Old 3rd October 2008
Gear Nut

Thumbs down No Digi pres = good Digi pres

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlenemo View Post
looks nice with 8 preamps
I don't think it SOUNDS thaaat nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVVI View Post
Yes!

Quote:
. I guess hobbyists is what we all are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgrignon
16 line-in's and out's with no preamps would've been more interesting to me.
Now THAT would be cool.
Old 3rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
the jet eyed mind trick
Do you mean "Jedi mind trick"?
Old 3rd October 2008
I think he meant the "jett eyed mind trick," named after the fabled rock and roll diva. But you'd have to have a heart of coal to use that...
Old 4th October 2008
Lives for gear

What will happen if ya'll find out that PT LE v8.0 will allow 2 LE interfaces to be used on one single computer.(same session, any 24-ins on record/36-outs on playback)
heh

What if
Old 4th October 2008
Old 4th October 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
Do you mean "Jedi mind trick"?

haha ROFLhehhehhehheh
Old 4th October 2008
Here for the gear

any one worked on a 003 yet?
ia had worked on a 002 but that was more like a interface from the o2r to LE..
Old 4th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
lol heh I remember a while back when a Digig tech answered "NO" to "will the new LE have 48 tracks?"

something quickly changed their minds.
Old 4th October 2008
Lives for gear
Does anyone know if the 8 Line/DI inputs go through the mic amps like the first 4 channels on the 002 and 003??

If so, it's useless.

If not, I'll buy it.

cheers.
Old 4th October 2008
Lives for gear

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrick View Post
Does anyone know if the 8 Line/DI inputs go through the mic amps like the first 4 channels on the 002 and 003??

If so, it's useless.

If not, I'll buy it.

cheers.

Most likely they will go through the gain amps.

and heyyyyy! I think Digi listened to Santa.

posted Dec 2004
LINK: Santa's bringing me this Digi-003rack for XMAS!!!!

but I thought there were way more posts(with pics) in this thread.????? Julessss
Old 4th October 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
Most likely they will go through the gain amps.
well, that's stupid.

What is it that they have against normal line level inputs??
Old 4th October 2008
Gear Head

it kills me that they don't let the 00series of interface have adat that can go higher than 48k. That makes digi seem just stupid.
📝 Reply