The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TK Audio by Vintagedesign - a stereo buss compressor Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 23rd January 2009
  #91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Yeha thanks Adam. I will try that. Though I am so used to post compression on the master buss. I will keep playing with it. So far though I am not overly impressed given the pricepoint. The GSSL has the "sparkle" and transient response I was actually expecting more of with the api2500. The API reminds me more of the Neve 5043 but not quite as mushy/squishy

Do you have any BC1's in stock?
We do have them in transit, so they should be here any day now.

Sounds like you might want to try the Dramastic Obsidian, as that may be more what your looking for, but the BC-1 is a sick box for the dough!! Its not grabby at all like Ben has stated, or really anything resembling an SSL box, other than the layout [with extras!!]. Its just smooth and allows a lot of control, [as I keep stating] so I think the Obsidian is more what you're in need of, but I could be completely and totally wrong.
Old 23rd January 2009
  #92
Gear Head
 

Thanks, Adam. Will put it in my list then, most certainly, esp. when some samples will be posted.
I meanwhile, just opted for a Chandler Germanium Comp and will see how it will go with it.
Old 24th January 2009
  #93
Lives for gear
 
Benmrx's Avatar
 

FWIW, I did some tracking yesturday. I had the BC1 on overheads.....awsome, awsome, awsome! Definatly helped smooth out some of those crash hits, and lended the OH mics to being more of a full drumkit sound, as opposed to just cymbals.

The chain was: Royer SF-12 ---> Hamptone Tube ---> BC1 ---> 2" Tape @ 30 IPS ---> Apogee AD8000 converters.

However, I was a little less impressed using the box as a vocal tracking compressor. It just didn't do it for me quite as much. Granted the vocals we recorded were just a scratch/guide and it was literally just 1 take with no punch ins, and the girl singing wasn't trying very hard, but still, I would much prefer hitting the Manley Elop and/or a Distressor for tracking vocals.

I think this box really shines when it's working on a group of things, as opposed to a single element, hence the reason it worked so well on OH.
Old 25th January 2009
  #94
Gear Addict
Hi from Halmstad

TK is really shaking the market on busscompression with th BC1 and the competetors will probably choke when they understand the quality of this unit at this price.

I did get the BC1 for testing when TK had put the first unit together to give hime some input.
I really liked the BC instantly for its smoothness and modern sound and the ability to preserve the mix that I wanted with help of the blendcontrol and hp filter.

I requested some added attack/release/filter funktions that I would love to have on a busscompressor and TK added 60/120ms attacktime - 50ms release and a variable filter.
I was jumping and ordered one at once.

Thank you TK for being a pioneer with the BC1.
Keep up with you brilliant work!

Best
Rickard Bengtsson
Old 26th January 2009
  #95
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchu View Post
Thanks, Adam. Will put it in my list then, most certainly, esp. when some samples will be posted.
I meanwhile, just opted for a Chandler Germanium Comp and will see how it will go with it.
We've just received our shipment from TK, and we will be posting some examples as soon as we get one into the Studio.
Old 16th February 2009
  #96
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
Its not grabby at all like Ben has stated, or really anything resembling an SSL box, other than the layout [with extras!!]. Its just smooth and allows a lot of control.
What does grabby sound like? I've read that a couple of times about ssl style compression but I really can't put my finger on it with these untrained ears! Any audio samples yet?
Old 16th February 2009
  #97
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasmasset View Post
What does grabby sound like? I've read that a couple of times about ssl style compression but I really can't put my finger on it with these untrained ears! Any audio samples yet?
"Grabby" is referring to the action of the compression,

This adjective, is describing how the transient information is handled, when the compressor "reacts" to the signal being compressed. The BC-1 has nothing but SMOOTH control over the dynamic range. It does not aggressively "grab" transients like other VCA boxes do. All compressors GRAB. Your GRAB knob, is your attack knob, which will control "the onslaught of compression" which will be determined by your threshold setting [start grabbing "here"] and HOW MUCH you are grabbing, is determined by the Ratio.We're still working on the samples. I'll do what I can!
Old 16th February 2009
  #98
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
"Grabby" is referring to the action of the compression,

This adjective, is describing how the transient information is handled, when the compressor "reacts" to the signal being compressed. The BC-1 has nothing but SMOOTH control over the dynamic range. It does not aggressively "grab" transients like other VCA boxes do. All compressors GRAB. Your GRAB knob, is your attack knob, which will control "the onslaught of compression" which will be determined by your threshold setting [start grabbing "here"] and HOW MUCH you are grabbing, is determined by the Ratio.We're still working on the samples. I'll do what I can!
Oh you mean attack? Oh okay
So grabby means a fast attack? I think I generally prefer a bit slower attack, to let more transients through. Don't really like all that squashing, it fecks up the dynamics and stereo image! I just like compression for more upfrontness and definition of sounds!
Old 16th February 2009
  #99
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasmasset View Post
Oh you mean attack? Oh okay
So grabby means a fast attack? I think I generally prefer a bit slower attack, to let more transients through. Don't really like all that squashing, it fecks up the dynamics and stereo image! I just like compression for more upfrontness and definition of sounds!
You'd be really happy with the way the TK box works. As well, I would also recommend the Dramastic Obsidian, as it preserves the natural tonalities of your program extremely well.
Old 16th February 2009
  #100
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
You'd be really happy with the way the TK box works. As well, I would also recommend the Dramastic Obsidian, as it preserves the natural tonalities of your program extremely well.
Adam, you're truly a helpful person! You think you could chime in over here? That thread sums up what I think my best choices are. In the meantime, I'm going to read this thread the whole way through again
Old 22nd February 2009
  #101
Gear Maniac
 
Tekay's Avatar
 

Adam has now uploaded some audiofiles for comparision. Thanx Adam!

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/3934200-post22.html
Old 22nd February 2009
  #102
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekay View Post
Adam has now uploaded some audiofiles for comparision. Thanx Adam!

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/3934200-post22.html
Yeah, I hope some other folks comment on that thread too. I'm really into the BC1, but to be quite honest, I don't really hear that much difference with the voxengo plugin version I posted a few days ago!
Old 22nd February 2009
  #103
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasmasset View Post
Yeah, I hope some other folks comment on that thread too. I'm really into the BC1, but to be quite honest, I don't really hear that much difference with the voxengo plugin version I posted a few days ago!
I would not judge any compressor [or compressors] ultimately from my demo, as they were all set ONE way. Its much better to use this stuff, in your room, with your gear and your music. You should set the box for the result you want. I just twiddled the knobs till I thought it sounded good. I was only doing about 4 DB of compression with all those boxes. If you try the BC-1, you'll be surprised at just how much compression it can achieve without wrecking tone, or sounding over compressed. It can also be set a lot of different ways to a lot of different results, and I think its hard to REALLY get ANY idea about gear through this on line sample method; and actually using it with your equipment gives you a MUCH better estimation about what it REALLY offers. Just my 2-cents.
Old 22nd February 2009
  #104
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
I would not judge any compressor [or compressors] ultimately from my demo, as they were all set ONE way. Its much better to use this stuff, in your room, with your gear and your music. You should set the box for the result you want. I just twiddled the knobs till I thought it sounded good. I was only doing about 4 DB of compression with all those boxes. If you try the BC-1, you'll be surprised at just how much compression it can achieve without wrecking tone, or sounding over compressed. It can also be set a lot of different ways to a lot of different results, and I think its hard to REALLY get ANY idea about gear through this on line sample method; and actually using it with your equipment gives you a MUCH better estimation about what it REALLY offers. Just my 2-cents.
Yeah you're right. But I think TK doesn't have any distributors yet in europe other than their factory plant, do they?

How would one schedule a demo from you guys, Tekay?
Old 23rd February 2009
  #105
Lives for gear
 
studjo's Avatar
 

I think the boys from Golden Age Sweden are doing the Distribution

Jo
Old 24th February 2009
  #106
Gear Maniac
 
Tekay's Avatar
 

We don't have any head distributor, we're shipping direct to resellers! In Germany you can get it from ES ProAudio, Makermid in Spain, through Helios in The Netherlands, ChandraCom in Indonesia, Steves Music in Canada, and Mercenary in the US. In Sweden you can get the BC1 through several resellers like DLX, AudioDog, MUG and Golden Age. If you don't have a reseller in your area you can get it through Golden Age EU or direct from us.
Old 1st May 2009
  #107
Gear Maniac
 
highsage's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
I would not judge any compressor [or compressors] ultimately from my demo, as they were all set ONE way. Its much better to use this stuff, in your room, with your gear and your music. You should set the box for the result you want. I just twiddled the knobs till I thought it sounded good. I was only doing about 4 DB of compression with all those boxes. If you try the BC-1, you'll be surprised at just how much compression it can achieve without wrecking tone, or sounding over compressed. It can also be set a lot of different ways to a lot of different results, and I think its hard to REALLY get ANY idea about gear through this on line sample method; and actually using it with your equipment gives you a MUCH better estimation about what it REALLY offers. Just my 2-cents.
So Roc.... if you don't mind... if YOU had to pick ONE for your bus compressor for this style of house/electronic music, which one would YOU choose, money aside. I know which two my ears liked the best...but won't share until you respond, since you've been so gracious with your time and have the experience in knob twiddlege... You can PM me if you want if you don't want to add further 'bent' on a new-reader's impressions.

I'm SO grateful for these listens...really, really am. I'm going to be trying two of these out soonest....
Old 2nd May 2009
  #108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagghie View Post
So Roc.... if you don't mind... if YOU had to pick ONE for your bus compressor for this style of house/electronic music, which one would YOU choose, money aside. I know which two my ears liked the best...but won't share until you respond, since you've been so gracious with your time and have the experience in knob twiddlege... You can PM me if you want if you don't want to add further 'bent' on a new-reader's impressions.

I'm SO grateful for these listens...really, really am. I'm going to be trying two of these out soonest....
Your kind of asking me to pick between children, my friend!! These compressors are all really awesome boxes. This thread is about TK's AWESOME COMP right? heh

Honestly, and seriously, I will tell you I would pick the Dramastic, and DO often pick that compressor to patch over the consoles mix buss insert, in our studio, just about every time!!! Its been LIVING on whatever Sean does in there, and for GOOD reason. My stuff goes though it, and 808 Kicks and Snare's are created!!! Its impressive what this machine is allowed to sound like over program, with the amount of lower level detail and the very impressive amount of HF content allowed through the comp circuit. Its very wide sounding and makes everything ridiculously LARGE. How can I describe this in a post?

I think for this style of music, the DAO can get the blood pumping and rhythm snapping in a pretty cool way. I am a fan of this box, can you tell? Techo/Dance/Drum and Bass/Jungle, Please MULT the Kick, send it into the S/C and start producing the track with the comp doing about 4 DB. You will be happy I told you this. Sometimes the DAO just sounds bigger than the other ones I tried. I think =when you have some iron in the path, its a tasty treat for these app's IMO. The Audio sounds a little heavier when you start digging in. Its action is natural, but agile like the G+ and the 150HZ filter keeps the low end solid, and does not give it a hair cut like the G+, IME. If you have SICK analog gear, this box is your friend. If you DON"T have sick analog gear, this box is your friend, IME. The DAO handles a gaggle of different styles of music, and I think its the perfect option in between an API 2500 and a G+. The thing smokes, and you can do some amazing things with it.

I must update the slutz and tell them I have found that there is a way to "ruin" the audio in the TK box, which is scary cool, {{{{If you want that kind of effect}}}} Just use fast attack, pinned threshold, 100% ya know, just set it wrong, you guys will dig it. You can do all the same S/C trick with the TK, and its ACTION is SMOOTH as THE GLASS on MY MOMS coffee TABLE!!!! {{not mine}} IT HOLDS the fullness of your chain in a way that you would only expect more expensive boxes do. This thing has been "pooing" all over many of the compression chains possible for the money. In the end, I love all these boxes, I guess that's why they come in, and come out of our room for different applications, {{DAO NEVER LEAVES}} and why I am a true GS of epic proportion and able to discuss gear and chew gum at the same time. They all do something special and are worth having in the tool shed. Obviously, the tool shed is only as robust and as equipped as the craftsman makes it. I think if you evaluate all the needs for your master buss, including your aesthetic and choice of music and equipment, you will have a better idea on which unit to demo first, which you have clearly done successfully.
Old 2nd May 2009
  #109
Gear Maniac
 
highsage's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
Your kind of asking me to pick between children, my friend!! These compressors are all really awesome boxes. This thread is about TK's AWESOME COMP right? heh

Honestly, and seriously, I will tell you I would pick the Dramastic, and DO often pick that compressor to patch over the consoles mix buss insert, in our studio, just about every time!!! Its been LIVING on whatever Sean does in there, and for GOOD reason. My stuff goes though it, and 808 Kicks and Snare's are created!!! Its impressive what this machine is allowed to sound like over program, with the amount of lower level detail and the very impressive amount of HF content allowed through the comp circuit. Its very wide sounding and makes everything ridiculously LARGE. How can I describe this in a post?

I think for this style of music, the DAO can get the blood pumping and rhythm snapping in a pretty cool way. I am a fan of this box, can you tell? Techo/Dance/Drum and Bass/Jungle, Please MULT the Kick, send it into the S/C and start producing the track with the comp doing about 4 DB. You will be happy I told you this. Sometimes the DAO just sounds bigger than the other ones I tried. I think =when you have some iron in the path, its a tasty treat for these app's IMO. The Audio sounds a little heavier when you start digging in. Its action is natural, but agile like the G+ and the 150HZ filter keeps the low end solid, and does not give it a hair cut like the G+, IME. If you have SICK analog gear, this box is your friend. If you DON"T have sick analog gear, this box is your friend, IME. The DAO handles a gaggle of different styles of music, and I think its the perfect option in between an API 2500 and a G+. The thing smokes, and you can do some amazing things with it.

I must update the slutz and tell them I have found that there is a way to "ruin" the audio in the TK box, which is scary cool, {{{{If you want that kind of effect}}}} Just use fast attack, pinned threshold, 100% ya know, just set it wrong, you guys will dig it. You can do all the same S/C trick with the TK, and its ACTION is SMOOTH as THE GLASS on MY MOMS coffee TABLE!!!! {{not mine}} IT HOLDS the fullness of your chain in a way that you would only expect more expensive boxes do. This thing has been "pooing" all over many of the compression chains possible for the money. In the end, I love all these boxes, I guess that's why they come in, and come out of our room for different applications, {{DAO NEVER LEAVES}} and why I am a true GS of epic proportion and able to discuss gear and chew gum at the same time. They all do something special and are worth having in the tool shed. Obviously, the tool shed is only as robust and as equipped as the craftsman makes it. I think if you evaluate all the needs for your master buss, including your aesthetic and choice of music and equipment, you will have a better idea on which unit to demo first, which you have clearly done successfully.
I was just about to get the TK, too...you wonderful bastard you!
Tell your mate at Merc that I'll be getting the demo unit tomorrow as we discussed...
Then, when the 500's come out, it's game over.
The ONLY thing freaking me out is how bad I wanted the wet/dry in my streamlined chain. ALL i make is acid house...303's, machinedrums, M1AM1, 808's, sunsyn's, you name it..i have it all...and to think...what you said above...you should be locked up.
I emailed the DA guys and told them to put a wet/dry on the 500's. If you could do the same, and anyone reading this, we might have a 'game over' bus comp on our hands at long last... and I know that's going out on a limb, but I've been researching for 6 months now....

Thank you again... and yeah, you guys have a paypal payment in your inbox on the demo already. ta! I'll even use this for my full live PA's!

shagghie
shagghie on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
Old 2nd May 2009
  #110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagghie View Post
I was just about to get the TK, too...you wonderful bastard you!
Tell your mate at Merc that I'll be getting the demo unit tomorrow as we discussed...
Then, when the 500's come out, it's game over.
The ONLY thing freaking me out is how bad I wanted the wet/dry in my streamlined chain. ALL i make is acid house...303's, machinedrums, M1AM1, 808's, sunsyn's, you name it..i have it all...and to think...what you said above...you should be locked up.
I emailed the DA guys and told them to put a wet/dry on the 500's. If you could do the same, and anyone reading this, we might have a 'game over' bus comp on our hands at long last... and I know that's going out on a limb, but I've been researching for 6 months now....

Thank you again... and yeah, you guys have a paypal payment in your inbox on the demo already. ta! I'll even use this for my full live PA's!

shagghie
shagghie on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
IME: You don't need a wet/dry control on the DAO. Trust me.

Have you spoke with BT, Sean, or Austin about the order?

At any rate, I am told John will do whatever you want on the 500 card short of putting a reverb on it. {I could be wrong} He is the man, but I have no idea when the 500 version will come to market. He is a ONE MAN operation, and diligently working to get this product released to the world. Adding more "stuff" is just going to take him longer to complete the box for the world to get their hands on it. I know NO ONE wants that to happen. Do you have a mixer? Return any of these compressors in parallel, and you have your wet/dry feature. I do this all the time, with every compressor under the sun.
Old 8th June 2009
  #111
Lives for gear
 

Does anyone have some samples? Compressed mix, uncompressed mix for instance?
Old 8th June 2009
  #112
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters86 View Post
Does anyone have some samples? Compressed mix, uncompressed mix for instance?
GS moderator Tobias Lindell just did an entire record w/ it on the 2 buss:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-...ml#post4248935
Old 8th June 2009
  #113
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
GS moderator Tobias Lindell just did an entire record w/ it on the 2 buss:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-...ml#post4248935
Thanks for that, sounds great.
Old 9th June 2009
  #114
pmx
Gear Addict
 
pmx's Avatar
 

thomas made me a mastering version, everything stepped except the blend knob. terrific work, thanks thomas!

it reacts very natural and smooth, although i must say i dont use the ratios higher than 2 (yet). works out all snappy snares, harsh cymbals and acoustics strumming very relaxed and easy, which pleases me very much; it frees up my weiss for the more tough bits.

soundwise its way too cheap, but i wouldnt mind paying more if that means the build quality is raised; not that its not good now, but i like frontplates to be a bit more rigid and not having the pots attached to them directly but onto the second layer if that makes sense
Old 17th August 2010
  #115
Lives for gear
 

Sorry to dig up an old thread but im interested in this compressor, but i checked out the price from your UK distributer dub central and its RRP is now £950! (inc. VAT)

Dub Central - TK Audio BC-1 Stereo Bus Compressor

Thats quite a jack up in price!

Will TK Audio ever make a more affordable version of this compressor in API 500 series format?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekay View Post
No dealer in the UK yet. You can get one direct from TK Audio.
Introductionprice £ 645.00 GBP + VAT, listprice £ 677.00 GBP + VAT
Old 18th August 2010
  #116
Gear Maniac
 
Tekay's Avatar
 

Hi Rob!
Think that the list price you're talking about was set when the GBP was much, stronger than now, plus the we did adjust the price a year ago but that was only around 40:00 GBP + VAT

BC1-500, you'll never know!
Old 18th August 2010
  #117
Lives for gear
 
flute player's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekay View Post
BC1-500, you'll never know!
oeps Thomas you're mind couln't resist to tell us the news, so you are working on it allready heh

greetz,

Paul
Old 19th August 2010
  #118
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekay View Post
Hi Rob!
Think that the list price you're talking about was set when the GBP was much, stronger than now, plus the we did adjust the price a year ago but that was only around 40:00 GBP + VAT

BC1-500, you'll never know!
Tell me where I can order one
Old 20th August 2010
  #119
Gear Maniac
 
Tekay's Avatar
 

To get a BC1 check under "where to buy" at TK Audio
/
Cheers
Old 20th August 2010
  #120
Gear Maniac
 

Not to steal Thomas thunder here but damn this is a great versatile buss comp. I keep using it on new stuff and even the hard compressed stuff sound great just by adjusting the mix level, that's totally crazy.

This is a blind purchase fro anyone who is looking for the missing link between the Alan smart and the SSL sound.


Thanks for all your hard work Thomas.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
superiorsound / So much gear, so little time
107
API / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
2
Robert Alger / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
2
theskids / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump