The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TK Audio by Vintagedesign - a stereo buss compressor Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 27th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Audio files

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios View Post
Where are those audio fles? :-)
Ah...well, let's see...hmmmm...here's what happened...

Somebody bought our unit...

We're waitng on a new delivery, and most of those are sold!!
Old 28th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coder View Post
Ok. now it's working
2 of my converter outputs are not really working...
The only thing that doesn't work on the BC1 is the light on the meter, but that does not really matter...

Update:

I screwed it up, and there is a placeholder for the sifam-lighting, but no lamp or did i miss something?
but anyways- i don't want to send it back just to fix the lighting.

BTW: after only 20 min of testing it sounds very transparent with a nice ssl punch...
Really looking forward to getting one of these. I'm in need of a REALLY punchy, snappy, buss compressor. Would this do the trick?

Thanks!
Old 28th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb View Post
ok, thanx for the info. would I have to send my unit to you if I would like to get it upgraded or order the scale and change it myself?
You have to return it as the LED needs to be mounted and soldered, the unit also need a new lid with a cutout for the LED bracket. Just return it with shipping prepaid, we won't charge anything more. Make shure that we have received the scales before you return it.
Old 28th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump Music View Post
Really looking forward to getting one of these. I'm in need of a REALLY punchy, snappy, buss compressor. Would this do the trick?

Thanks!

For me- without a doubt, but i cant give you a direct comparison between smart, gssl and the bc1.

but "dobly" already wrote in this thread:

"i A/B'd it with some mixes done with a Smart C2 on the mix bus, and the BC1 could take more compression before choking whilst being more open and clear. i love the C2 for mix buss compression, but i think i've got a new favourite. well done, vintagedesign!"
Old 28th October 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by coder View Post
For me- without a doubt, but i cant give you a direct comparison between smart, gssl and the bc1.

but "dobly" already wrote in this thread:

"i A/B'd it with some mixes done with a Smart C2 on the mix bus, and the BC1 could take more compression before choking whilst being more open and clear. i love the C2 for mix buss compression, but i think i've got a new favourite. well done, vintagedesign!"
Don't you mean TK!
Old 8th November 2008
Gear Addict

I've ordered one.
I'll report back.
Old 8th November 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkooloid View Post
I've ordered one.
I'll report back.
Me, too!
Old 8th November 2008
Lives for gear

With audio samples, pls!
Old 12th November 2008
Lives for gear

got mine last week!
great compressor! thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Old 21st November 2008
Gear Addict

Question

Well, I've got it.
Really creates some magnification, and is very smooth.
I think I need someone to show me how much abuse it,
though. I'm probably being too timid -
2:1 30ms attack, 300ms release or auto, sidechain lowpass.
I'll try really f*cking things up, and back off from there.
I'm a little twisted - I'm afraid I'll like it too compressed.stikestike

Anyone have tips on what might be good uses besides mix buss?
I have a 6176 - thinking maybe in conjunction with the '76
comp on vocals - but BC1 first or....?

Thanks!
Old 28th November 2008
Lives for gear

Just put in my BC1 order today at Mercenary. Can't wait.......although they're sending me an API2500 to use until the BC1 arrives, which I know will be hard to give up! The BC1 should hopefully be here by the Middle of December. I'll report back after I've had some time with it. I've got a CL 7720 to compare it to, although my educated guess is that the BC1 will stomp all over the 7720 on the 2buss. The 7720 has been great on drums and piano though.
Old 29th November 2008
Ben, you're welcome to come check out my BC1 - either at Two Sticks or my place. I sold my 7702 for it and it's incredible (not that the 7702 was bad, but this is just better!).
Old 29th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
Ben, you're welcome to come check out my BC1 - either at Two Sticks or my place. I sold my 7702 for it and it's incredible (not that the 7702 was bad, but this is just better!).

I just might have to take you up on that. Plus, I wouldn't mind checking out Two Sticks again. I was there a little over a year ago, and the place was almost done. Is the Quad Eight board still there?

EDIT: Just checked the website. Gues the Q8's still there. I like how the control room is setup now. Did the Mackie Controllers not make the cut?
Old 29th November 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
I just might have to take you up on that. Plus, I wouldn't mind checking out Two Sticks again. I was there a little over a year ago, and the place was almost done. Is the Quad Eight board still there?

EDIT: Just checked the website. Gues the Q8's still there. I like how the control room is setup now. Did the Mackie Controllers not make the cut?
Q8's still there - working great these days! We haven't had much call to use the Mackies; still have them but they aren't set up.

Next up is a kitchen install and bathroom remodel!
Old 29th November 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekay View Post
About the on/off at backside, don't want to run the main power through the unit.
I'd like to check one of these out, but locating the power switch on the back is a design flaw in my opinion. Roland addresses this elegantly. They have the power switch on the front panel, with a long plastic stick coupling it to the actual power switch, which, along with the IEC power connector and fuse is mounted to a small pcb at the back of the unit. It looks like you have enough front panel space to do it.

Maybe this upgrade will show up on the BC2 when the current stock of front panels run out? ;-)
Old 29th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
Q8's still there - working great these days! We haven't had much call to use the Mackies; still have them but they aren't set up.

Next up is a kitchen install and bathroom remodel!
Great looking studio Bleen!
Old 19th December 2008
Lives for gear

Got the last one TK made this year today! Will not post audio samples, seeing as no one else bothered to when I was asking for it... ;-) Sounds great for buss compression. Not as much fun as an extreme effects compressor, but was not made to be that... A keeper. With the Swedish Krona down the toilet at the moment, you can get it really cheap right now. Go get it! Last chance to be slutty this year? :-)
Old 21st December 2008
Lives for gear

Dude, help a fellow viking out with audio clips... Or else I'll come haunt your studio heh
Old 22nd December 2008
Lives for gear

Inga problem! Send me a short WAV file and let me know what settings you would like to hear and I'll do it. Please don't haunt my studio. ;-)
Old 19th January 2009
AvS
Lives for gear
How are the feel of the knobs? Someone said the pots where a little shaky but has that been taken care of?
Old 19th January 2009
Lives for gear

Knobs feel fine to me. I have set it for master bus compression and do not touch it too much, for recallability...
Old 19th January 2009
A33
Gear Addict

Knobs feel fine on mine
Old 20th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A33 View Post
Knobs feel fine on mine

Mine 2.

Finally got a chance to use this thing the other day. I had an API 2500 on loan while waiting for the BC1. It was hard to send the API back, but it had to be done. That box gives such an immediate, obvious improvement to pretty much anything you send through it. When you strap that box across your 2buss, or even as a tracking comp, you can hear it's tone right away, and it's usually a good thing as long as you keep the GR on the lighter side.

When I fired up the BC1, at first, it was hard to not be a slight bit bummed only because I had gotten so used to the instant gratification of the API. Then I just fiddled with the knobs a bit, played with the mix knob, and.......even though I didn't fully notice it till a few hours later, I started to really hear what this box was doing. All the reviews that say this thing sounds smooth are............right on, 100%. Smooth as butter. And, while the box doesn't have the instant tone of the API, it DEFINATLY has a tone. At least to my ears.

Granted the material I was mixing was just guitar and female vocals, no drums. But man, I like this box as an actual compressor MUCH more than the API. With the API, I didn't really like it's compression that much, but I LOVED it's tone. With this box, I LOVE the compression and the tone is no slouch either. It's not an agressive box by any means, so if you want grit, this aint it. But if you want smooth, with a round bottom, and a hint of air maybe...check it out.

I was especially stoked when I listened to the mixes in my car. It really did something nice to clarity and depth. The mixes seemed wider than usual too, which was a bit of a surprise, and possibly just my imagination.........or maybe it was because there were no drums.

I'll have a chance to check it out on a full mix next weekend, but it's gonna be hard to not use this box as a "vocal buss" compressor.
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Guru

Just got a API2500 from Mercenary and honestly I am kind of hating it so far on the master buss. It's very choky and "heavy" sounding. I have read about all the settings you should try and nothing is really grabbing me (pun intended). And god forbid! I actually like the Waves API2500 version a bit better as it doesn't seem to have as much of a chokey sound (I know! get the wax out of my ears). I' am going to of course play with it a lot more and see how I get on with it. Maybe I just got too much transformer/tube already on my master buss (Dangerous 2buss/Massive Passive). I have been using a GSSL with the Turbo option and so far that's the best. I might get Mercenary to send over a BC-1 to try. I could always use the api2500 on my drum buss but I don't know if I would want to spend that much money just for that. How does the BC1 sound on a drum buss? I seem to like ssl style compression the best I guess.

Also, it's interesting..... The api2500 definitely scoops the frequencies. I wasn't liking what it was adding to the lo mids/lows and it was killing my high mids. The GSSL I have keeps all of that intact and has a wider stereo image it seems. Of course, the api2500 as a mix buss compressor it would work out best to "mix" through it, but it would be tough for me to try and master audio with this thing so far.

thanks
Old 23rd January 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Just got a API2500 from Mercenary and honestly I am kind of hating it so far on the master buss. It's very choky and "heavy" sounding. I have read about all the settings you should try and nothing is really grabbing me (pun intended). And god forbid! I actually like the Waves API2500 version a bit better as it doesn't seem to have as much of a chokey sound (I know! get the wax out of my ears). I' am going to of course play with it a lot more and see how I get on with it. Maybe I just got too much transformer/tube already on my master buss (Dangerous 2buss/Massive Passive). I have been using a GSSL with the Turbo option and so far that's the best. I might get Mercenary to send over a BC-1 to try. I could always use the api2500 on my drum buss but I don't know if I would want to spend that much money just for that. How does the BC1 sound on a drum buss? I seem to like ssl style compression the best I guess.

Also, it's interesting..... The api2500 definitely scoops the frequencies. I wasn't liking what it was adding to the lo mids/lows and it was killing my high mids. The GSSL I have keeps all of that intact and has a wider stereo image it seems. Of course, the api2500 as a mix buss compressor it would work out best to "mix" through it, but it would be tough for me to try and master audio with this thing so far.

thanks
Try the MP after the 2500. If your pushing the EQ into the 2500, that may be why your getting these results thus far. But, as always, you may just not like it. Who knows, it might be the case. Me personally, I love how heavy it sounds!! The thing will soak up some HF when digging in, but it really all depends on your gear selection, the settings on the box and what your running through it.
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Just got a API2500...........It's very choky and "heavy" sounding...............Of course, the api2500 as a mix buss compressor it would work out best to "mix" through it, but it would be tough for me to try and master audio with this thing so far.

thanks
Have you messed with the makeup gain at all, because IMO that's where the magic is in that box. FWIW, when I had it here, I found it pretty hard to mix through too. I thought it choked the mix too much even at 2db of gain reduction. But man, that makeup gain is nice. I had the best luck tossing it on the mix after I'd gotten all my faders/levels up, and then doing all my fader rides/automation into the comp. I'de set up the comp so that it was doing maybe 1db of GR at the loudest spots, then back the threshold down so the needle wasn't moving at all. My hope was that I'd be hitting about 1db of GR, maybe 1+1/2 at the loudest spots after I'd done all my automation.

As for the BC1,

I'll be tracking a full song tomorrow, drums and all. I'll post here after I've had a chance to use the BC1 on a full mix. But I'll tell ya right now, this does NOT sound like a grabby, bring everything foward, SSL buss comp. I'll definatly be trying it on drum OH when tracking.
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
Have you messed with the makeup gain at all, because IMO that's where the magic is in that box. FWIW, when I had it here, I found it pretty hard to mix through too. I thought it choked the mix too much even at 2db of gain reduction. But man, that makeup gain is nice. I had the best luck tossing it on the mix after I'd gotten all my faders/levels up, and then doing all my fader rides/automation into the comp. I'de set up the comp so that it was doing maybe 1db of GR at the loudest spots, then back the threshold down so the needle wasn't moving at all. My hope was that I'd be hitting about 1db of GR, maybe 1+1/2 at the loudest spots after I'd done all my automation.

As for the BC1,

I'll be tracking a full song tomorrow, drums and all. I'll post here after I've had a chance to use the BC1 on a full mix. But I'll tell ya right now, this does NOT sound like a grabby, bring everything foward, SSL buss comp. I'll definatly be trying it on drum OH when tracking.
Yeah, pretty much what I am finding here about choking the mix even with just a tad gain reduction. Yeah I have messed with the makeup gain too. Definitely you can get some interesting sounds. Guess I am just used to the set and forget ssl style comrpessors. This will take a lot of tweaking.

thanks
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
Try the MP after the 2500. If your pushing the EQ into the 2500, that may be why your getting these results thus far. But, as always, you may just not like it. Who knows, it might be the case. Me personally, I love how heavy it sounds!! The thing will soak up some HF when digging in, but it really all depends on your gear selection, the settings on the box and what your running through it.
Yeha thanks Adam. I will try that. Though I am so used to post compression on the master buss. I will keep playing with it. So far though I am not overly impressed given the pricepoint. The GSSL has the "sparkle" and transient response I was actually expecting more of with the api2500. The API reminds me more of the Neve 5043 but not quite as mushy/squishy

Do you have any BC1's in stock?
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Head

I am on the market for a versatile compressor these days and the BC1 drew my attention
How the BC1 performs in tracking (vocals, acoustic guitar)?

Niki

Last edited by synchu; 23rd January 2009 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: clearing
Old 23rd January 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchu View Post
I am on the market for a versatile compressor these days and the BC1 drew my attention
How the BC1 performs in tracking (vocals, acoustic guitar)?

Niki
Its great actually! The thing is REALLY SMOOOOOOOOTH!!! Its action is amazing, so you can really "smooth" out anything with it. Its very buttery and certainly keeps the integrity of the audio together!! I think it's really versatile because of its action, thus its well suited for a lot of different applications. I think as a compressor, it really shines on every source, as it does have a wide range of control from little to a lot and anywhere in between. I would not have a problem in the slightest tracking individual instruments and vocals [or group mixing!!] with the BC-1. Its amazing for group compression in my experience.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search