The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TK Audio by Vintagedesign - a stereo buss compressor Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 5th October 2008
Lives for gear

Do these SSL/Smart type compressors have a purpose other than buss compression ?
I know that you "can" use them for individual tracks but that only ever gets some sporadic mention.

What would their nature be like on say, vocals and bass ?
Old 6th October 2008
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

For that price, I'm probably gonna pick it up, but first-hand user reviews are always appreciated, of course!
Old 6th October 2008
Lives for gear

yeah..looks great!

I wonder how this would perform against something like a DIY G-SSL clone??
Old 6th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdarude View Post
I wonder how this would perform against something like a DIY G-SSL clone??
Better !

I have a GSSL and the BC1 is miles ahead.
Old 6th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnielson View Post
Do these SSL/Smart type compressors have a purpose other than buss compression ?
I know that you "can" use them for individual tracks but that only ever gets some sporadic mention.

What would their nature be like on say, vocals and bass ?
I tried one side of a Smart C1 on vocals and it seriously rocked. Especially when the input is driven hard, it makes "magic". Seriously. One of my fav comps. thumbsup
Very interested in the BC1 now.
Old 16th October 2008
Lives for gear

Any news on when it will be available in the states???heh
Old 16th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekay View Post
Looks like the streetprice will land around 1.250.00 USD

Hope to be able to present the sarallell/serial "console" in the next few weeks. Waiting for the frontpanels to arrive.
I have been thinking of a summer/mixer that uses blend knobs for the inserts on each channel instead of an in/out switch.

basically: knob all the way one direction = no insert, all the way the opposite direction = 100% insert return.

and all points in between...

maybe 16 mono channels with this feature + pan on each channel.

no need for volume knobs...
maybe 2 busses - A +B
or an insert on a knob for the main outs as well...

please build this for me so I can get some sleep!
Old 16th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Any news on when it will be available in the states???
Just email Jay at Mercenary.

Quote:
I have been thinking of a summer/mixer that uses blend knobs for the inserts on each channel instead of an in/out switch.

basically: knob all the way one direction = no insert, all the way the opposite direction = 100% insert return.

and all points in between...

maybe 16 mono channels with this feature + pan on each channel.

no need for volume knobs...
maybe 2 busses - A +B
or an insert on a knob for the main outs as well...

please build this for me so I can get some sleep!
I'll look into it, it's a VERY nice idea!
Old 16th October 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Just email Jay at Mercenary.
Thomas, can you explain to me why a european unit is cheaper in the US than in europe? i wonder this all the time but you are the first manufacturer i actually ask.

I even have bought very expensive european boutique gear from US dealers and saved tons. up to 20-30%! being shipped from england to the US and from there back to germany. crazy! i don't think that's the way it should be.

On the other hand i've never seen US gear cheaper in europe than in the states.
Old 16th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thomas, can you explain to me why a european unit is cheaper in the US than in europe? i wonder this all the time but you are the first manufacturer i actually ask.
TK Audio's gear is not cheaper in the US! regarding Vintagedesigns gear you have to ask Golden Age and Mercenary. US margins is lower than the European margins + that the VAT sometimes get lost on the way tutt and Sweden has one of the highest VAT, 25% I think that Golden Age And Mercenary has set a lower price in the US because it's not well known over there?
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
TK Audio's gear is not cheaper in the US! regarding Vintagedesigns gear you have to ask Golden Age and Mercenary. US margins is lower than the European margins + that the VAT sometimes get lost on the way tutt and Sweden has one of the highest VAT, 25% I think that Golden Age And Mercenary has set a lower price in the US because it's not well known over there?
i forgot the VAT sorry, but the $1250 at mercenary is de facto cheaper for most european buyers than the $828 + VAT.

don't forget most people buying gear nowadays - even expensive one - are NOT professionals who don't pay VAT.

i understand the VAT thing but i think it's absurd nonetheless when you calculate shipping and import taxes overseas.
Old 17th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie View Post
Any news on when it will be available in the states???heh
It's available now...
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

I hope someone starts putting up some samples so we can hear what this thang sounds like. $1250 for a quality buss compressor sounds great to me. I'm looking for something like that right about now.
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSKI View Post
I hope someone starts putting up some samples so we can hear what this thang sounds like. $1250 for a quality buss compressor sounds great to me. I'm looking for something like that right about now.
thumbsup
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

Put those files up! Preferrably A/B'd with an Alan Smart or SSL. TeeKay (the man) rules!

Also! With the swedish krona down by at least 25% against the dollar and by 10% against the Euro since this summer VD stuff is on sale, if you pay in SEK!
Old 17th October 2008
Hello Tekay,
BC1 looks like a very lovely and smart unit!
what's the best way to purchase it outside distributed lines? (I am in Italy)

what's the price of the unit in Euro area (20% VAT)? I still cannot clearly understand...

do you have a rear panel image?

thank you!
Old 17th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSKI View Post
OK, check back early next week and some samples should be posted...
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear
One stupid question :

Is the gain reduction meter backlit ???

(I work in a dark environment)
Old 17th October 2008
Stupid question number 2:
I am an intensive SSL Duende user, and I always mix thru its bus compressor, which I find great.
Is there anyone out there who can tell me if TK Audio has "that" sound I found in Duende's bus compression? (I know Duende is just a clone plug-in, but when my ears say WOW, then I'm OK)
Old 18th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by San01 View Post
One stupid question :

Is the gain reduction meter backlit ???

(I work in a dark environment)
It is backlit, but the meter "body" is black so only the digits show through as they are cut out of the black...if that makes sense.

Check out the pic and you'll get it. ..
Old 19th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
what's the price of the unit in Euro area (20% VAT)? I still cannot clearly understand...
Inside EU you have to pay the selling countries VAT if you don't have a valid VAT no: which most pros and companies do have. Swedish VAT is 25%.

Outside EU the we don't have to charge for the VAT, your customs takes care of that as you pay your own countries VAT then.
Old 19th October 2008
True.
So what's the price in euros, and how can I purchase the machine since living in Italy?
Old 20th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
So what's the price in euros, and how can I purchase the machine since living in Italy?
As long as there ain't any local reseller you can order direct from TK Audio. Price depends if you have a VAT no: or not. As the Swedish currency is going up / down it's better you pay in SEK. Check the foreign exchange rate with your bank.
Shipping cost to Italy is around 390.00 SEK excl VAT / 487,50 SEK incl VAT
Old 25th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Mine arrived yesterday, but the unit is broken !

Ok. now it's working
2 of my converter outputs are not really working...
The only thing that doesn't work on the BC1 is the light on the meter, but that does not really matter...

Update:

I screwed it up, and there is a placeholder for the sifam-lighting, but no lamp or did i miss something?
but anyways- i don't want to send it back just to fix the lighting.

BTW: after only 20 min of testing it sounds very transparent with a nice ssl punch...

Last edited by coder; 25th October 2008 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: it's working now :)
Old 27th October 2008
Heb
Gear Maniac
Mine arrived last week and love it! Especially the blend feature. But just as coder wrote, there is no light on the meter..
Tekay.. Is the meter backlit as jay at mercenary claims or not?
Old 27th October 2008
Gear Maniac

The unit from mercenary is backlit->

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...0&d=1223160366
Old 27th October 2008
Lives for gear

Where are those audio fles? :-)
Old 27th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Some of the first units that was shipped had metalscales from Sifam so it's impossible to backlight them. All units now ships with a new backlighted meter. I have asked Sifam for extra scales so that I can upgrade the units that are missing the backlight on request.
Old 27th October 2008
Heb
Gear Maniac
ok, thanx for the info. would I have to send my unit to you if I would like to get it upgraded or order the scale and change it myself?
Old 27th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios View Post
Where are those audio fles? :-)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search