The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Auto-Tune Evo (Auto-Tune 6) Amp Sim & Guitar Effects Plugins
Old 19th August 2008
Gear Head

Auto-Tune Evo (Auto-Tune 6)

Saw this and thought people might be interested. Auto-Tune Evo
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMaziad View Post
Saw this and thought people might be interested. Auto-Tune Evo
didnt dig deep but looks like built in melodyne features added
Old 19th August 2008
Gear Addict

ppc mac still powerful enough?

The literature talks about Auto Tune EVO taking advantage of the new powerful cores of the modern computer architecture.

Does anyone know if that means it is a CPU hog if I am still using a Dual G5.

In the system requirements it does not mention what computers are supported, only that 10.4 is needed.

thanks,

- Jim
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

I can't believe they didn't add MIDI output functionality to the plug-in!!

I just don't get it, it would have been so simple, all the information is already there once the audio is running through AT...

I just don't get it.
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

Looks great! I'm especially interested in the screen resizing.. Damn I've been wanting that feature since it first came out.

Awesome!
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

Hmmm....new Autotune that is playing catch-up to Melodyne, or Melodyne which is already there, or better yet, wait a month or 2 for polyphonic pitch editing with the new Melodyne. I just can't decide!
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
or better yet, wait a month or 2 for polyphonic pitch editing with the new Melodyne.
...or wait for Elastic Pitch in PT 8...
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjimmer View Post
The literature talks about Auto Tune EVO taking advantage of the new powerful cores of the modern computer architecture.

Does anyone know if that means it is a CPU hog if I am still using a Dual G5.

In the system requirements it does not mention what computers are supported, only that 10.4 is needed.

thanks,

- Jim
I havent seen any issues running it on G5's and the computer seems to run the same as with AT5. You can see an immediate improvement over AT5 as soon as you add the plugin. Tracking is tighter and the new UI is perfect.

BTW Scott, I really enjoyed listening to the work on your website.
Old 19th August 2008

Nice upgrade.
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Anyone try it out yet??

How does it compare to AT5
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

this is good new, because now the new melodyne that will be comming out can maybe learn a thing or two from it and implement it if need be
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Tony, you gonna have the upgrade available at your usual terrific pricing?
Old 20th August 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephent28 View Post
Tony, you gonna have the upgrade available at your usual terrific pricing?
I believe upgrades have to be done through their online upgrade system... but, I will confirm with them tomorrow.
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

I found big Bug in this version.
It adds some space before audio when process file in playlist.
I have ProTools Hd on Mac.Its sad,but have to roll back to v.5

Last edited by goshalev; 20th August 2008 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 20th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hailed as a "holy grail of recording,"
-from Auto-Tune Site
This has always bothered me that they put this on their site. I think many would argue that it's use as the beginning of the downfall of good music. I use it and I love using, but I've never called it the 'holy grail of recording'. Just bothers me is all.

New version looks alright though. I don't think I'll upgrade from 5 just yet though. I like 5.
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Have to say, I have AT 5 and tried the new version this morning and it is better, by a good bit. The make note function is really fast and easy to use. Also, the fact that you can set the retune speed differently for each note is a god send.

I hate to have to use it but I do sometimes so evo it is from now on
Old 20th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
Also, the fact that you can set the retune speed differently for each note is a god send.
Hmmm.... That does sound cool. Ha. Downloading demo now...
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshalev View Post
I found big Bug in this version.
It adds some space before audio when process file in playlist.
I have ProTools Hd on Mac.Its sad,but have to roll back to v.5
Yes, This is a bug, and it's a bug that SUCKS! Please fix this ASAP!
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

I just gave the demo a try. I find that the TDM version sounds cleaner than the RTAS (like I do with all other RTAS/TDM shootouts), but it may well be the RTAS version works slightly better. One thing is for sure, the automatic correction, (which I use every day on every project), is less obvious, so that you can tune more with less artifacts, which is good news to all but t-pain and cher. The extreme AT effect is, however, much requested by the RNB customers, so that probably needs to be done with an earlier version of the plug - which won't run on a current Mac. Melodyne can get pretty feirce... The improvements to the graphical mode are much welcomed and I may very well start to use this mode a lot more now. The pitch shifting and throat modeling is of less use, probably, but I find it sounds better than the algo's in Harmony Engine, so mabye they have not simply copy-pasted the code for that. The formant shifting is good for extreme adjustments, but a second correct take is probably better ;-). As before, when you loop the playback around a phraze, the graphical correction only works the first time 'round. Why is that? In conclusion, the Evo sounds better and is easier to operate than before. What's not to like? 169 US on a plug I use every day in every session is not a lot, but I do wonder how much the plug has cost me over the years in upgrades... This must be the third one for me since going TDM.
Old 26th August 2008
Gear Head

Another frustratingly poor upgrade for autotune

It amazes me at how useless the upgrade for autotune are...

1...The sound...They always promise big improvements in the algorithm etc...but always sound exactly the same..

2..The User Interface...What infuriates me maore than anything else in autotune is why there isn't a single button that says 'CLEAR EVERYTHING AND UPLOAD NEW BIT OF AUDIO' probably like most people that use auto tune I want to work line by line and not upload a whole song in real time into its memory...whats the point of that?.. To do this at the moment I have to press about 4 buttons to select the old stuff... clear it...press track pitch....press preview just to upload a new peice of audio...why isn't there one button to do [email protected]$£@@[email protected]%$£@........every upgrade I wait with baited breath and hunt around the screen looking for the 'holy grail' of buttons

3..Vibrato...Well with the new version, you can now actualy see what a horrible mess it makes of vibrato as it shows up the flaw with the algorithm visually for the first time. that horrible whispy wobbly sound that happens at the end of lines is now clear to see on the screen as is pulls the audio out of phase with itself.
At first it looks like you can now fix it by selecting you word and pulling in the 'adjust vibrato' knob the same as you can for the retune speed knob (which now does individual words which is good)....but it doesn't it just selects the whole peice of audio and adjusts the vibrato of the whole track.....which going back to point one suggests that maybe they do expect you to work word by word...

The good points.....it only cost $120 to upgrade...I'd of been REALLY pissed off it it was any more!!!!!

Its like no one at antares actually uses Autotune...and each upgrade has a few different gimmicks that you never use that clutter up the GUI..

Right enough of that. I have to do a lot of tuning work and use Auto tune no end and it never fails to frustrate me....it's so close to doing what it says on the box...but not quite close enough.. Someone just needs to actually think about how people use the program and how to increase work flow.

You can get great results with autotune but not through battling with the user interface. It can do what you want but not after it has eaten up far to much studio time.

In my head I've sort of stuck with autotune becasue I figured the kind of stuff I was after was so obvious that it would of course be in the next upgrade...3 upgrades later...same issues..

Looks like its finally time to make the switch to melodyne.
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

That is some serious bashing of AT. Mabye you should consider upgrading your monitors ;-) There can be no doubt that there are less artifacts with EVO in auto mode and that the sound fidelity is even better. The GUI is improved as well. TDM sounds a mouse hair cleaner btw.

Melodyne is a great tool, but the price to pay is inferior sound quality, even if you don't even change a note. Just running it thru Melodyne makes for a duller top end and a cheaper sounding mic...

Hugs,
Old 26th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtoni View Post

2..The User Interface...What infuriates me maore than anything else in autotune is why there isn't a single button that says 'CLEAR EVERYTHING AND UPLOAD NEW BIT OF AUDIO' probably like most people that use auto tune I want to work line by line and not upload a whole song in real time into its memory...whats the point of that?.. To do this at the moment I have to press about 4 buttons to select the old stuff... clear it...press track pitch....press preview just to upload a new peice of audio...why isn't there one button to do [email protected]$£@@[email protected]%$£@........every upgrade I wait with baited breath and hunt around the screen looking for the 'holy grail' of buttons

Looks like its finally time to make the switch to melodyne.
Totally hear you on the one button thing! I've been thinking of switching to Melodyne too. Let me know how it goes.

Bobby Peru
Milwaukee, WI
Old 26th August 2008
Gear Head

right then mr Johan....you are entirely correct..I've checked out the melodyne demo and after lots of A-B-B-A testing (little topical sweedish joke for you there!). it seems the fidelity of Autotune is quite a bit better..but the auto algorithm is way better on Melodyne...I think purely because it is much simpler sees notes as chuncks and lines them up, where as Autotune does all this fuss assing about and ends up falling over it self on the vibrato.

After years of using Autotune I think your ear gets particuarly acute to its artifacts and all I seem to hear is poor pitch correction and lots of added warble which is why I just can never use it on 'auto'...I always try this first because I'm too lazy to want to tune everything by hand...but then I end up staying up late and doing it manually!!

So the melodyne seems to do a pretty good job of the tuning on auto...though looks like the manual tuning may not be that good...but what do I know I got a 15 min demo!! Definitely doesn't sound that brilliant sonicly tho..

Looks like I'm gonna have to use both...damn it...I bet they are the same company making two slightly not good enough products...and making you buy both....then laughing at you all the way to the bank!

Thanks for the discussion tho...here goes my credit card again!
Old 26th August 2008
Gear Head

update

ok I bought melodyne..

Its so much better........!!!!!!!!!

Once you get you head round how it works...which is actually simpler..there's me looking for the old wobbly correction display like auto tune...

It sort of gives the vocalist some credit that they can actually sing...but just need a bit of help with pitchy lines.. where as autotune seems to want to re-write the whole perfomance.

maybe better audio quality on the next version...we'll see

later aligator
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Addict

Those who have bought the upgrade... I s it worth the $129?
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Maniac

It's absolutely worth it. I only use graphical mode, and it sounds better, is more flexible, and the resizeable edit window is gold. I'm not a fan of retuning vocals, but people are willing to pay my full rate to spend many hours editing instead of a few hours singing. Whatever. My bills get paid, and this makes it easier for me to spend hours on the DAW.heh
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

I find that some tuning problems are best fixed with autotune and some in melodyne. Melodyne plugin is so easy to use, there is no excuse not to get it. Plus it does not cost a lot more that an EVO TDM upgrade... Melodyne is fantatsic at correcting vocals that drift a lot and have insane vibratos, an area where AT goes electronic on you all the time. The GUI is a lot more easy to master too, once you do learn it. Now, if it only did not mess up the sound as much... Having said that, v3 is a lot better than v2 at that. We hope for v4, which has magical polyphonic skills. I belive that when I see it.
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Melodyne is a great tool, but the price to pay is inferior sound quality, even if you don't even change a note. Just running it thru Melodyne makes for a duller top end and a cheaper sounding mic...
Absolutely. I don´t get why only few people notices this. I guess there isn´t many "golden ears" in this forum after all...

High end mic + Melodyne = Low end mic

I hope they´ll get this audio quality problem fixed soon, but I guess their too busy to work on with revolutional features like "direct note access"... like a pimped up car with all sorts of features, but "oh, we forgot the steering wheel!".
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMWS View Post
Absolutely. I don´t get why only few people notices this. I guess there isn´t many "golden ears" in this forum after all...

High end mic + Melodyne = Low end mic

I hope they´ll get this audio quality problem fixed soon, but I guess their too busy to work on with revolutional features like "direct note access"... like a pimped up car with all sorts of features, but "oh, we forgot the steering wheel!".
Yeah, mister "golden ears"...there are people that know what a tradeoff towards an improved vocalist performance means for a song. It's not only about pitch, but also about time.

t.
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Golden monitors help :-)

I found Waves Tune made the sound a lot duller as well. So much, I haven't used it for years. Mabye they have improved on it by now? Added a steering wheel? Might have to try the old dog again.

Thing is, you might not notice the deterioration if you process a whole take, but if you try to tune a word or two you REALLY hear how the line sounds duller, like you pasted in another take from another session on a cheaper mic/pre/converter.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search