The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any new Apogee products coming soon?
Old 19th January 2008
Any new Apogee products coming soon?

Just wondering if there's any news of some new Apogee products coming out. I've been pretty interested in the Rosetta or AD/DA 16x's but they've been out for a while now, dunno if I should hold off a little longer or not. Anyhow, just wondering
Old 20th January 2008
Lives for gear

I was wondering this too !!

Seems like the AD16-x has been around for about ... 4 years ? Since the arrival of the Lynx Aurora 16, I was hoping that Apogee would come out with a 16 in 16 out converter to compete... I need 16 channels of DA....I'm waiting for something new from Apogee !!!! ( less expensive than the DA16-x !!!! )
Old 20th January 2008
Lives for gear

Here's hoping for a quartet. It would only need two pres. The only problem I would have with a duet is that you can't run the sound out to an external effect and back in while monitoring. Basically just add a control room section and I would be all over it. The Ensemble, OTOH, is a bit pricey for a FW interface. At that price point I would rather just pay a little more and have AES.
Old 20th January 2008
I have this gut feeling that the Rosetta and AD/DA 16x's are going to get updated in the relatively near future. Maybe just to be safe, I'll get a Rosetta 800 for the time being and avoid plopping out so much $$ for an AD-16x and DA-16x. Unfortunately it would mean 8 channels of summing would go unused for a while...

I really wish there was some sort of buyer protection program, or a little more transparency behind product life cycles. These units aren't exactly cheap...
Old 20th January 2008
Gear Addict

Ensemble/Duet type product for PC!

The title says it all! What I want (and many many other pc owners as well I'm sure) is a Duet/Ensemle equivalent for PC platform.

I thinks it's super clever business planning what Apogee and Apple are doing together right now, but I'm not sure if it's the best for us customers..
Old 20th January 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneRanger View Post
The title says it all! What I want (and many many other pc owners as well I'm sure) is a Duet/Ensemle equivalent for PC platform.

I thinks it's super clever business planning what Apogee and Apple are doing together right now, but I'm not sure if it's the best for us customers..
They're actually doing you a favor: they're forcing you to get rid of the crappy PC :-)
Old 20th January 2008
Gear Addict

How about a Apogee lightbridge/AES bridge type product, a miriad of DIGITAL IO that can interface with the super low latency.. Symphony card,,,, would be super useful for mini series and user's of legacy apogee converters and all those other digital devices lying around.
Old 20th January 2008
Lives for gear

I wish i knew the answer.. cuz I'm about to buy a DAx-16

Apogee is on mukimesse exhibitor list though
Old 21st January 2008
Gear Maniac

Ensemble with Symphony Connection!

An Ensemble with Symphony connection for that low latency and V-Bus recording. I'm also looking at dropping some cash on a second unit (have Ensemble now)... May wait and just get a FireFace 400 2nd hand until Apogee wakes up and smells my cash...

Anton
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

Yeah. Now that you mention it, an Ensemble with symphony would be even better than a quartet. I would totally go for that.
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

The only product Apogee doesn't offer is the kind of product IMHO would appeal to he most people: an 1U, 8 analog in / 8 analog out interface with fast converters, Symphony card (and Symphony Mobile) (and FireWire?) compatibility and the sound of the 16x-series. This would mean internal BigBen-clocking, but it would be less expensive than AD16-x+ DA16-x, and more portable. This product doesn't exists yet, but it's on the top of my gear lust list, so Apogee.... please make it.
Old 21st January 2008
How different is the sound between, lets say two Rosetta 800's and an AD-16x/DA-16x?
Old 21st January 2008
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by robd View Post
Yeah. Now that you mention it, an Ensemble with symphony would be even better than a quartet. I would totally go for that.
Yes, put me on a list for wanting this too.
Old 21st January 2008
Gear Addict

Ensemble for PC!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bafonso View Post
They're actually doing you a favor: they're forcing you to get rid of the crappy PC :-)
Well, I don't want to turn this into a PC vs Mac debate but I'm really surprised not seeing more people asking for what I did. I think it's insane how easily people just go along with things like this, which is shameless market manipulation and basically unfair business conduct and using the company's market position in an erronous way which in the end is harmful to us customers.

Apogee is cheap compared to similar products for pc but then again you have to pay atleast double for a mac compared to a pc. I just want transparency, why must there always be some monkey business going on..

For the record, I'd love a mac, but just can't justify the cost since my PC's work just alright. It's more like jewelry or luxury what macs are all about. But they sure are purty and cool.
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneRanger View Post
Well, I don't want to turn this into a PC vs Mac debate but I'm really surprised not seeing more people asking for what I did. I think it's insane how easily people just go along with things like this, which is shameless market manipulation and basically unfair business conduct and using the company's market position in an erronous way which in the end is harmful to us customers.

Apogee is cheap compared to similar products for pc but then again you have to pay atleast double for a mac compared to a pc. I just want transparency, why must there always be some monkey business going on..

For the record, I'd love a mac, but just can't justify the cost since my PC's work just alright. It's more like jewelry or luxury what macs are all about. But they sure are purty and cool.
3 letter and 1 space for you:

OS X!

This is the real difference.
Old 22nd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think it's insane how easily people just go along with things like this, which is shameless market manipulation and basically unfair business conduct and using the company's market position in an erronous way which in the end is harmful to us customers.
Seriously? What is unfair about it? Yeah, it kinda sucks if you want one of these products and you don't have an Apple computer, but these products were co-designed with Apple specifically for use with Apple computers (and ideally Apple software as well). There's nothing "shameless" or "unfair" about that. There are plenty of PC-only hardware and software products on the market (and other Mac-only products as well)...what's wrong with that?
Old 22nd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd View Post
Put me on that list too!

(and throw in some of nativeaudio's suggestions for good measure as well)
Old 22nd January 2008
Gear Maniac

I'd hop onboard with the AD/DA16 sound quality as well. So, say a AD/DA-8X with 4 preamps, DI, ADAT, AES, Slotfor X-Syphony (or just build it in, dammit!) and possible FireWire? And Windows integration, specially for ToneRanger heh! What was the name of that company who had that ridiculously expensive TDM format again... Oh, yeah, they went the way of the Dodo...heh Nah, not trying to start a anti- PT rant, but this would prove to be a very powerful product, taking into account the recently integrated EuCon support and the price of the new Euphonix controller...

Anton
Old 22nd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy1500 View Post
How different is the sound between, lets say two Rosetta 800's and an AD-16x/DA-16x?
Unlike the Rosettas, the X-series have Apogee's the Big Ben master clock technology built in. If you google Apogee and Big Ben, you'll find that most people think that Big Bean represents a major sound improvement factor.

You could of course buy Rosetta and a separate Big Ben, but IMO a built in solutions is much better.
Old 22nd January 2008
Lives for gear

from my understanding the difference is more than that... converters are different, analog stages, power supply build...

search the form, a lot of information.

cheers.

oto
Old 22nd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy1500 View Post
Don't do it. The Rosetta is different, good, but not as stellar as X series. Even with the Big Ben added the Rosetta doesn't match the X sound, least to my ears anyway. It would be wise to take a listen before you commit.
Old 22nd January 2008
Gear Addict

I'm still waiting for an invisible product, one that has no production costs. I mean we should be able to hook up to a Mac or PC record while connected to the internet which should be networked to an Apogee server that can produced any of the various sounds of their product line with the ability to adjust parameters via local software on the laptop.

Maybe you pay a yearly contract for availability to the server or something who knows!

Common its 2008 already the Jetson's have been doing this **** for years......
Old 23rd January 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonbuys View Post
I'd hop onboard with the AD/DA16 sound quality as well. So, say a AD/DA-8X with 4 preamps, DI, ADAT, AES, Slotfor X-Syphony (or just build it in, dammit!) and possible FireWire? And Windows integration, specially for ToneRanger heh! What was the name of that company who had that ridiculously expensive TDM format again... Oh, yeah, they went the way of the Dodo...heh Nah, not trying to start a anti- PT rant, but this would prove to be a very powerful product, taking into account the recently integrated EuCon support and the price of the new Euphonix controller...

Anton

I think you'll be looking for one of these then.....

Orpheus Recording Interface Home Page

Prism converters ae generally regarded as higher quality than Apogee.
Old 23rd January 2008
Max
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescater View Post

Not really.
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

Actually,
I regard the apogees very highly, tho not as highly as the prism ada8 or DB or Lavry golds. The mytek and lavry multichannels are different but on par with the upper end Apogees. All are very good but a small step down from the prisms IMO.

That being said, the prisms are more than 2x the money for half as many channels of conversion.

If however, the quality of your apogee converter (or any other higher end converter) is holding back your recordings, you need to write better songs! Amazing recordings can be made with any of the better converters. Heck, I made great recordings with ADATs!

Frost
Old 24th January 2008
_rd
Lives for gear

To cover my current needs, Apogee should release a 16-ch AD/DA with the sound of the AD-16X/DA-16X, plus X-Symphony built-in (only 1 Symphony PCIe-card needed), with a price tag which rivals the Aurora 16.

That would be perfect for me.

FWIW, I'd rather not buy any high-end audio gear with Firewire-Connectors. I just doesn't feel right.
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

I'll be first in line for that product !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _rd View Post
To cover my current needs, Apogee should release a 16-ch AD/DA with the sound of the AD-16X/DA-16X, plus X-Symphony built-in (only 1 Symphony PCIe-card needed), with a price tag which rivals the Aurora 16.

That would be perfect for me.

FWIW, I'd rather not buy any high-end audio gear with Firewire-Connectors. I just doesn't feel right.

This is exactly what is needed....... Max.... did you see this ?? Please get to work on it ASAP !!!
Old 24th January 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescater View Post
I think you'll be looking for one of these then.....

Orpheus Recording Interface Home Page

But it's still FireWire...tutt I'd rather go Symphony...

Looking at Apogee's past and the intervals between product releases and upgrades, I'd say the AD/DA-16X and the Rosettas are due for an upgrade soon. heh But then, one never knows. Anyway, me thinks NAMM wasn't the type of place for such a launch... Messe coming up, but darn, AES still too long away to put of my purchasing decision....

Max, seeing that you are keeping an eye on this thread, how's about that "Ensemble" for Symphony? Or the 8AD/DA-X? Give us a hint! Nudge Nudge, Wink Wink...

Anton
Old 24th January 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonbuys View Post
But it's still FireWire..
And...? If you're going to go on about the typical latency/instability thing, you really should try the Orpheus.
Old 24th January 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
And...? If you're going to go on about the typical latency/instability thing, you really should try the Orpheus.
Not so easy to get hold of in Taiwan, and not so easy to get a "try before you buy" type of deal.

If the Orpheus works for you, great. I'm looking for a solution that would ideally have the 8 AD/DA "Ensemble for Symphony" as a starter and allow me to later add a AD/DA 16-X combo as I need more I/Os for OTB mixing/preamps/softsampler computers, etc.

Max, if you're listening...

I put in a tech request to Apogee that remains unanswered, to find out how well an Aggregate Device consisting of an Ensemble on FW and say a Rosetta 200/800 on Symphony would work together. Any takes on this?

Anton

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search