The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Crack out your Crystal Ball - Digi predictions for this week
Old 14th January 2008
Gear Maniac

Crack out your Crystal Ball - Digi predictions for this week

What's everyones predictions for Digi this week? With the Duet/Logic 8 combo I'm thinking Digi needs to act quickly to keep their LE line competitive, hopefully with you know what.
Old 14th January 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMB View Post
What's everyones predictions for Digi this week? With the Duet/Logic 8 combo I'm thinking Digi needs to act quickly to keep their LE line competitive, hopefully with you know what.
ehm......add Duet/Logic/Euphonix, mate...
Old 14th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Since this thread is asking for speculation I'll bite. My crystal ball says probably more status quo from Digidesign. I wonder though if Digidesign is not doing so by choice, but is being held back by it's parent company Avid. I've read in a few places that Avid has been losing an obscene amount of money lately. Makes me wonder if Avid is forcing digi to keep with it's working formula in order to keep Avid above water. It might explain why little things have been let out of the bag like the whole TDMLE thing (which was rumoured to have been put on HD disks by Digidesign developers) and the ProfireLightbridge "bug".
Old 14th January 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmatibet View Post
ehm......add Duet/Logic/Euphonix, mate...
Ah ha I forgot about that little gem!
Old 14th January 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodidactic View Post
Since this thread is asking for speculation I'll bite. My crystal ball says probably more status quo from Digidesign. I wonder though if Digidesign is not doing so by choice, but is being held back by it's parent company Avid. I've read in a few places that Avid has been losing an obscene amount of money lately. Makes me wonder if Avid is forcing digi to keep with it's working formula in order to keep Avid above water. It might explain why little things have been let out of the bag like the whole TDMLE thing (which was rumoured to have been put on HD disks by Digidesign developers) and the ProfireLightbridge "bug".

"TDMLE" is news to me. Same with Lightbridge bug. I'm looking around but can't find info on lightbridge.
Old 14th January 2008
Gear Maniac

I tend to also be skeptical of Digi making major changes on one hand, ... except for 2 things.

1. The director of marketing posted on the DUC about a month after the 003 came out in response to the flurry of ourtraged posters complaining that the 003 was NOT an upgrade to the 002. He stated that the company looked at the 003 as a "product refresh" not update, but that there would be new products "soon" that would address our concerns, ... though he couldn't give details. Well, it's been a few months and NAMM would be the obvious opportunity.

2. I read, I believe in Barron's, that Avid has one of the highest investments in R&D as a percentage of revenue compared to other companies.

Seem like they would want to show shareholders that the R&D investment is coming up with something more than a $75 software update that includes "elastic audio."

The one little rumor I have also heard is that they are coming out with a new hardware interface that doesn't use firewire or PCI, but Ethernet (LAN)... which might be cool because you could run on laptop and desktop equally.
Old 14th January 2008
Gear Maniac

Like a DSP / Interface all in one combo box that runs HD ?
Old 14th January 2008
Lives for gear

hmm.. the thick plottens
Old 14th January 2008
Lives for gear

nothing
Old 14th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
"TDMLE" is news to me. Same with Lightbridge bug. I'm looking around but can't find info on lightbridge.
TDMLE was a version that allowed the PTHD to run with LE boxes (including the then unsupported 001) on windows XP. Most say it was a crack but I think I read somewhere that it was originally found under a different name on the HD install disk. Meaning that somebody on Digidesign's development team must have put it there.

The Profire Lightbridge "bug" refers to a PTMP 7.3 update that allowed Maudio's PFLB interface to have 32 simultaneous I/O instead of the standard maximum of 18. I'm not sure but I think this has been corrected in 7.4.
Old 14th January 2008
Gear Maniac

Too bad that "hack" was only working on version 6 :(
Old 14th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't think so. Digidesign is still number one and Logic is AFAIK no way near. I think we've seen enough Mboxes for a while, I think next in line is a HD update.

One intersting thing is that, to me, the two applications are more different than in a long time now, especially with the introduction of elastic audio in Pro Tools. I think it's great. Why have to apps that do the same, when we can have two apps that can specialize in specific fields?
Old 14th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodidactic View Post
TDMLE was a version that allowed the PTHD to run with LE boxes (including the then unsupported 001) on windows XP. Most say it was a crack but I think I read somewhere that it was originally found under a different name on the HD install disk. Meaning that somebody on Digidesign's development team must have put it there.
I wouldn't bet money on this, but if memory serves me correctly, it was a version that was meant for developers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search