The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TL AUDIO FAT TRACK
Old 26th September 2007
Gear Addict

TL AUDIO FAT TRACK

http://www.tlaudio.co.uk/docs_07/pro...at_Track.shtml

Looks very interesting for 003r users, or project studio owners.
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear

looks cool
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear

Cool product idea!
But, as with all TL products, I wonder what the "2 tube stages" actually do, besides adding toob-appeal.
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

I really like my TL valve pres. They have kicked serious ass for drums in the past. If you run them to clip they produce some cool tones and serious colouring.

Running these guys into the red's has appeal whereas running a focusrite into the reds doesn't really do much but sound bad.
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

Curious form factor.

A channel strip with sends but no compressor?
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

No talkback?
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

interesting
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

Very interesting.

And it looks cool as well...

G
Old 27th September 2007
Gear Head

Again... No Talkback!! To be that's the difference between buying one of these things and not... Not enough of these low/mid end products have talkback built in and to me it's a really important feature!
Old 1st October 2007
Gear Head

Thanks for all your comments guys!

Just a little info for you...

The Fat Track has been designed using the feedback we get from customers about how they work, what they love about our current products and how they'd like to use them.

The 2 input channels have been based on our larger consoles, using the same preamp design and smooth sounding British EQ. The inputs can be used for mic (inc 48V), line and inst for greater flexibility and a phase reverse switch also makes them ideal for stereo micing. The channels also feature balanced inserts, FX send and direct outputs.

Then it gets real interesting... :-)

Once you have finished tracking, you can then use the desk in two different ways...

Either bring back your stereo mix through the line inputs for some EQ adjustments and then maybe patch in a compressor / limiter over the blanced inserts on the stereo bus for mastering; or why not group your mix in Pro Tools / Logic etc into drums, guitars, BV's and bring them back onto the stereo returns, with maybe your lead vocal and bass on the mono channel faders? This way you can benefit from some analogue goodness for the final mix down and mastering. it has long been argued the advantages of 'summing' in analogue, and the fat track provides you with a very easy way to do this and get fantastic results.

With 2 headhones outs and 2 monitor speaker options its easy to work with, and as for talkback, you can assign either one of the channels as the talkback mic and use the mute to in/out. The 1 st headphone follows the master section whereas the 2nd headphone always follows the stereo bus, enabling you to set up a different mix for your artist or yourself. The channel also gives you the benefit of being able to EQ the talkback to pronounce the frequencies of your voice and enabling you keep the volume of the talkback mic low to aim to prevent damage to the artists ears - how thoughtful ;-)

You can even see the tubes glowing through the vents as you work...

I know i'm waffling now, but if anyone has any questions, feel free to get in touch!

Sarah Yule
Int. Sales Manager
TL Audio
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahTLA View Post
...as for talkback, you can assign either one of the channels as the talkback mic and use the mute to in/out.
Any use in a two mic/stereo situation?
Quote:
You can even see the tubes glowing through the vents as you work...
Yay! Toobs!!!

Ouch...tough crowd! Cool enough looking little box...but it really could have used a dedicated talkback. Not a talkback mic...just the facility to add one without losing a chanel!

Oh yeah...being able to EQ my voice is of little concern in matters talkback. Certainly not worth losing a chanel over. Erm...sorry, I can't record your guitar in stereo...but doesn't my voice sound fantastic?
Old 1st October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
Any use in a two mic/stereo situation?
Cool enough looking little box...but it really could have used a dedicated talkback. Not a talkback mic...just the facility to add one without losing a chanel!
Point taken, i guess nothing is perfect... but nearly :-)

In most recording situations the Fat Track is more than capable of delivering the goods... and is less than half price of our smallest mixer the M1 tubetracker.

The features on offer, together with the sound make this a really cool addition to almost any DAW set up.

If anyone is heading to AES, come and see me on booth no. 867 where we will be showing it off together with the launch of a brand new series....

I'll be happy to let you take a look and answer any tough questions ;-)

We will also have Gorillaz / Collie Budz Producer Curtis Lynch Jnr. on the stand with our large format, in line, VTC mixing console.

Thanks,

Sarah.
Old 1st October 2007
Gear Nut
Quote:

...and is less than half price of our smallest mixer the M1 tubetracker.
How much the Fat Track will cost ? do you have a estimated price ?
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

I have heard €1700.
Old 2nd October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by oune View Post
How much the Fat Track will cost ? do you have a estimated price ?
Hi,

The Fat Track will retail for £999 UK / $2195 US / €1500 EU and will be shipping in November this year.

If you PM me your location, i can put you in touch with your local supplier / distributor or alternatively, look on our website :-)

Thanks,

Sarah.
Old 2nd October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Hi,

The Fat Track will retail for £999 UK / $2195 US / €1500 EU and will be shipping in November this year.
Obviously, this is an estimate and may vary due to change in exchange rates / shipping costs... but gives you an idea... ;-)

S.
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Obviously, this is an estimate and may vary due to change in exchange rates / shipping costs... but gives you an idea... ;-)

S.
Thanks for all the info, Sarah.

Always nice to see manufacturers keeping an eye on the slutz!

All the best.
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi,

Oops! Sorry then
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff View Post
Oops! Sorry then
Don't apologise...you could have said €1300.
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

It seems like just a very small two track version of their mixing consoles.
But more interesting is that they anounce a new black series at the AES.
Does anyone got pictures or some other pre info.

Paul
Old 2nd October 2007
Gear Maniac

An M/S converter on it would have been useful too.

I'm just glad it came out now, three years ago I might have bought one, and it would be sitting gathering dust with the other TLA tube classics I have.
Old 8th October 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Point taken, i guess nothing is perfect... but nearly :-)

In most recording situations the Fat Track is more than capable of delivering the goods... and is less than half price of our smallest mixer the M1 tubetracker.

The features on offer, together with the sound make this a really cool addition to almost any DAW set up.

If anyone is heading to AES, come and see me on booth no. 867 where we will be showing it off together with the launch of a brand new series....

I'll be happy to let you take a look and answer any tough questions ;-)

We will also have Gorillaz / Collie Budz Producer Curtis Lynch Jnr. on the stand with our large format, in line, VTC mixing console.

Thanks,

Sarah.
Sarah, It was good meeting you at AES today. The Fat Track seemed awesome. For the November release, will Vintage King be the main distributor?
Old 12th October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizdom View Post
Sarah, It was good meeting you at AES today. The Fat Track seemed awesome. For the November release, will Vintage King be the main distributor?
It was great to be there and have a chance to meet the huge number of people who came by the stand. The Fat Track was certainly very popular and i'm glad you though it was 'awesome' ;-)

When the product starts shipping, Vintage King will be the main supplier for the US and have some of the first production allocated, if you contact Ryan or any of the reps at Vintage King, they will be happy to help you further.

Thanks,

Sarah.
Old 16th June 2008
Lives for gear

So, anyone used one? Worth the cash for someone trying to have a less digital sound from things like the Elektron Monomachine and Machinedrum...?
Old 18th July 2008
Here for the gear

I've had one around for a review the last week . To be frank I haven't been the biggest fan of TL product's and I did not have great expectations when I went to pick up the fat track , but I am totally sold !! I am not the most experinced slut around , but I've had my share of dull DAW results , from the moment I've passed a bus thru this puppy I said gimme more , went ahead and pushed this baby hard and still great results (meaning 6 channels reding the meters). The instrument input sounds lovely .. The EQ are far beyond anything like you'd find on a compact mackie or soundcraft , but it would have been nice to see another parametric on the strips .. if you are working with managable, bus friendly mixes its a great way to have an outboard summing option too . Not crazy about the styling but it feels like a well built piece of kit . love the large knobs , hate the blue LED !!!! .. For a thousand pounds there could have been bigger meters maybe , with nicer material for the covers instead of cheapo plastic . Overal as I brought it home, I was thinking I woundn't want it laying around, now I am thinking if the distributer would give me a deal if I write a good review :P

its great to be posting for the first time I am feeling slutty already
Old 21st July 2008
Gear Head

Interested in Fat Track and live in New York?

Hi GS,

If anyone is in the Manhattan area this Thursday 24th, come and see and hear the Fat Track in action, at our special Producer Clinic Event.

More details on the TL Audio site here:

Come to the Fat Track Clinic in New York this Thursday! - TL Audio News Story

Thanks,

Sarah.
Old 1st September 2008
Lives for gear

So, what's the verdict on this? Worth the cash or not?
Old 3rd September 2008
Gear Maniac

Come in and hear it in any time, sounds great in our place.

Scitscat
Old 15th September 2008
Just to let You know guys - I tested my friends Fat Track with my mics - Brauner Phantom AE, Shure KSM 44, SM7b and SM57. I compared it with my GR NV1– which of course is a bit tricky casue GR aint tube unit. Anyway –*I was never really excited about the TL Audio, but I must admit that this unit is a totally different story. I recorded some female vocalist and electric guitar thru it and in those two particulat examples I liked it better that my GR. Especially the combo –*Fat track with Brauner – on vocals it was super nice – with a lot mid presence. Its a winner for me –*not toobey at all - sounds like a really hi-end piece of gear with proper tube design.

Cheers

Marty
Old 15th September 2008
Lives for gear

Sounds like a winner
📝 Reply