The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TL AUDIO FAT TRACK
Old 15th September 2008
Lives for gear

So is or isn't this thing great?
Old 16th September 2008
For me the pre amp are great. the EQ sounds ok, but is limited it terms of lack of dedicated Q knob for every freq. The routing is pretty flexible, so If someone does not have a mixer its a nice add on. Two monitor out and two headphone outs (with separate levels) are a really good thing - the only thing that concers me – the unit is not transparent - its definitely a color unit. I liked the color of it with vocs bass and guitars, cause as I mentioned before*– the preamps are absolutely great. But I dont know if I wanted to have to monitor thru „this color”.

Ans the built quality is top notch*– all knobs moving smooth but firm, not plastic **** whatsoevere. Very good unit - TL Audio basically makes mediocre gear, but for me this one is nobrainer.

Cheers

marty
Old 16th September 2008
Lives for gear

FAT TRACK IS WHERE ITS AT....I was at the samash right next to legacy recording studios and i had a CD of my tracks on there, and the guy who helped me ran it thru the fat track and all i heard was tubeeeeeee gooodnesss
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

I like that they added EQ in/out somewhere along the way. All in all, it looks like a cool box. I don't need it, but if they had the little channel strip alone in a small box, I'd be interested.
Old 17th September 2008
+1 to the above*– I dont need the whole box, casue I already have a nice gear, but If I had opportunity to buy just a preamp from itI would definitely go for it. Maybe 500 format? Cmmon TL Audio

Marty
Old 4th December 2008
Here for the gear

Sarah,
So, if I have the Fat Track with the optional DO-8 can I run the 8 tracks of ADAT out of my firewire interface into the 8 (4 stereo) imputs for summing rather than using the 1/4" imputs?
Old 21st January 2009
kl5
Here for the gear

As far as I can gather the fat track seems to be very good value for money considering the fader sections and the routing options. If anyone has actually spent any decent amount of time using a fat track then I would much appreciate their overall view of the unit. Please don't comment if you are one the regular GS gear snobs we know it isn't a 5088 console but rather something relatively inexpensive for us project studio owners who might have slightly more down to earth choices when looking at ones financial status.
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT_Calle View Post
Sarah,
So, if I have the Fat Track with the optional DO-8 can I run the 8 tracks of ADAT out of my firewire interface into the 8 (4 stereo) imputs for summing rather than using the 1/4" imputs?
Hi There,

Sorry for the delayed reply. Yes, you can use the ADAT out of your interface to connect into the 4 stereo returns / 8 inputs of the fat track instead of using 6.3mm jack, this is when using the Fat Track with the optional DO-8 ADAT interface we make.

Another option, that will be shipping end of next month, will be a firewire option for the Fat Track so that it can actually be used as your interface and give you access to all I/O over one firewire cable. Mac and PC compatible and using same converters as some Lynx and Apogee solutions. It will enable you to have a high quality, completely portable, desktop or rack-mountable, tube production studio, for tracking, mixdown, summing, and monitoring.... ;-)

Sarah.
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Head

Interested parties should also check out this Fat track story and video:

New York's Winksound show how to get "Fat" with a Fat Track! - TL Audio News Story

S.
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Sounds nice !!

Does anyone can post a mix itb and with the fattrack ?

Thanks
Old 23rd January 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Sounds nice !!

Does anyone can post a mix itb and with the fattrack ?

Thanks
doesnt make any sense, or?

do you like summingmix-shootouts too?
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Maniac

Hi all ,
i'ts strange that we can't find a single example on the net showing how the Fat Track sonically behaves .
The video isn't so exhaustive ... it seems that the audio comes from the camera's microphone and it seems that they apply a huge amount of eq to their final mix with the FT ; if i had to do the same thing on my mix ,it would mean that my mix is completely wrong or that the FT eq is so magically musical ...
anyway the FT seems exactly what i need in term of summing and control room (A/B switch ) and at the moment here in Europe there is a promotion : 1150 eur , very cheap !!!!
i'm wondering if there is something behind, like a new product or a revamped version with adat factory fitted ( the D-08 card is so expensive ) or with the firewire card , even better !

ciao
Lorenzo
Old 23rd January 2009
Here for the gear
TL Audio M1-F

Hi everyone,
Hi Sarah, thanks for your reply this morning.

This post is for the TL-Audio M1F tube desk.

I am still searching answers to find a possibility to have more inputs than the 12 channels of the TL Audio M1-F desk and I am wondering if by linking the M1-F via firewire to a ProFire 2626 (in series to one of the two firewire plug of the ProFire 2626) and out (from the 2nd firewire ProFire 2626) to my computer I will be able to get more Ins(?)
Will the DAW see the M1-F channels from the Profire 2626 Ins and Outs on my DAW?
I am using Protools 7.4 M-Powered + Cubase 4.5
I can't find any info about linking the M1-F to a second audio device before the computer.
I need to record each channel from the M1-F and not send just the stereo master to my DAW.
Any help will be much appreciated.

Best regards
Yves

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahTLA View Post
Thanks for all your comments guys!

Just a little info for you...

The Fat Track has been designed using the feedback we get from customers about how they work, what they love about our current products and how they'd like to use them.

The 2 input channels have been based on our larger consoles, using the same preamp design and smooth sounding British EQ. The inputs can be used for mic (inc 48V), line and inst for greater flexibility and a phase reverse switch also makes them ideal for stereo micing. The channels also feature balanced inserts, FX send and direct outputs.

Then it gets real interesting... :-)

Once you have finished tracking, you can then use the desk in two different ways...

Either bring back your stereo mix through the line inputs for some EQ adjustments and then maybe patch in a compressor / limiter over the blanced inserts on the stereo bus for mastering; or why not group your mix in Pro Tools / Logic etc into drums, guitars, BV's and bring them back onto the stereo returns, with maybe your lead vocal and bass on the mono channel faders? This way you can benefit from some analogue goodness for the final mix down and mastering. it has long been argued the advantages of 'summing' in analogue, and the fat track provides you with a very easy way to do this and get fantastic results.

With 2 headhones outs and 2 monitor speaker options its easy to work with, and as for talkback, you can assign either one of the channels as the talkback mic and use the mute to in/out. The 1 st headphone follows the master section whereas the 2nd headphone always follows the stereo bus, enabling you to set up a different mix for your artist or yourself. The channel also gives you the benefit of being able to EQ the talkback to pronounce the frequencies of your voice and enabling you keep the volume of the talkback mic low to aim to prevent damage to the artists ears - how thoughtful ;-)

You can even see the tubes glowing through the vents as you work...

I know i'm waffling now, but if anyone has any questions, feel free to get in touch!

Sarah Yule
Int. Sales Manager
TL Audio
Old 27th January 2009
Gear Head

Hi Spooks :-)

It is technically possible to link 2 of our M1 F consoles together via the Firewire cards to expand your inputs, we just need to verify and check that the 1394 protocol has enough bandwidth for all channels even at 96kHz sample rate, I think it may be near the limit...

As for linking the M1 F with a third party interface i am not sure. normally linking to different brand interfaces is not possible, but i will look into it for you. I understand you need the M Audio hardware to run Pro Tools M Powered, unfortunately i only have a 003 here for Pro Tools and according to Digi, you can not link 3rd party interfaces to their hardware to expand your I/O into Tools.

You have my email Spooks so stay in touch and i'll let you know how we get on with the linking and expansion tests.

Thanks,

Sarah.
Old 27th January 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lore View Post
Hi all ,
i'ts strange that we can't find a single example on the net showing how the Fat Track sonically behaves .
The video isn't so exhaustive ... it seems that the audio comes from the camera's microphone and it seems that they apply a huge amount of eq to their final mix with the FT ; if i had to do the same thing on my mix ,it would mean that my mix is completely wrong or that the FT eq is so magically musical ...
anyway the FT seems exactly what i need in term of summing and control room (A/B switch ) and at the moment here in Europe there is a promotion : 1150 eur , very cheap !!!!
i'm wondering if there is something behind, like a new product or a revamped version with adat factory fitted ( the D-08 card is so expensive ) or with the firewire card , even better !

ciao
Lorenzo
Hi Lorenzo :-)

The Fat Track EQ is magically sweet actually, very smooth and musical, a real shaping and sweetening EQ.

There are no new versions of the Fat Track planned, but there will be an option to buy the Fat track with the Firewire interface factory fitted.

As for the cheap price, we are a UK company that builds all our products in England, it means that the change in exchange rates makes it a great time to buy our products in Europe and US!

Thanks,

Sarah.
Old 29th September 2009
Gear Head

Hi guys,

Just a little heads up to anybody in North America or Canada who is considering buying a Fat Track, there is currently a promotion offering you a free Wave Arts Power Suite 5 plug in bundle worth $599 with every Fat Track purchase. This package ensures you have everything you need for mixing and mastering, contact your local store for more info...

Also, if you are heading to AES, come and see us on booth 630.

Sarah :-)
Old 8th October 2009
Gear Addict

What is aes and where? cheers
Old 26th March 2010
Here for the gear

Sarah, where can i buy rack ears for the Fat Track please?
I am going to be getting an Argosy desk soon and want to be able to put the Fat track in it.

Btw, am loving this desk more and more. Recorded some amazing vocals through the Pre amps on this the other day. So good in fact, i sold my SSL X logic as i feel i didnt need it
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

I have been seriously looking at this for 2 bus duties. I have also been looking at the A Designs Hammer for 2 bus duties as well.

Basically looking to beef up 2 tracks in a nice warm, analog way. Ability to add some sweetner to 2 track material. How do you all think this unit would do for these duties?
Old 26th March 2010
I run all my stereo stems through the Fat Track, and it sounds incomparably better i.e. warmer, fatter and more presence and definition.It's the simplest and cheapest escape route from ITB digital hell for me! Have not tried the EQ yet but will be shortly....for the price, I think these things are amazing value.
Old 31st March 2010
Here for the gear

Can you say anything about the quality of the preamps? Did you compare them to separate tube-pre's? I'm interested in this machine but need a good preamp for mics and guitar as well.
Old 10th April 2010
Gear Head

This stuff sounds amazing. BUt I have one question, or rather notion that I was wondering if people might want to comment on.

Would anyone consider the fat track to be a viable option as a main mastering console for professional use?

So far it seems to fit the bill, especially if you want to add some warmth to the final master, and the inserts could be wired into a patchbay for advanced routing between mastering processors.

Any thoughts, comments?
Old 16th May 2010
Lives for gear

Is there anyone in the US selling the Fat Track with the DO-F firewire card? I am strongly considering this as a purchase, but I can't find anyone selling this option pre-installed, as it was alluded to back when the plans were set about a year ago.

If anyone knows where to get this, please let me know.
Old 18th May 2010
Gear Addict
Sarah is now working for Numark as "International export sales for Numark, Alesis and Akai. Business management, evaluation and SAP."
Old 27th May 2010
Here for the gear

FAT TRACK - DO-F Nightmare

Hi, (first of all sorry about my English)
I am having a nightmare with the FAT TRACK, the DO-F and customers support of TL Audio.
I bought the FAT TRACK just a year ago and I was dreaming about the DO-F, I waited for almost a year before I could have it, the card was going to be ready at the end of 2008, but they were not finished till 2010.
Now I got it but I cannot use it at sample rates above 48 kHz. my computer freezes, only happens with the DO-F the other firewire audio interfaces I've tried are fine.
I have asked TL Audio for a solution since last April, but support doesn't exist, only Tony Larking, the director, contacted me to tell me that Sarah was not there anymore.
Apart from the DO-F problems I also have the sound drops from one channel now and then, I took it back and they replaced a switch but the drop outs are still there. similar stories here: Fat Track FIREWIRE - TL Audio to Launch DO-F Interface

And also the paint around the big main knob is erasing (I know another person who has the same paint problem)

I like the the preamp and the DO-F's AD-DA conversion is top notch!
Though there's a thing I miss on the fat track, it is a switch to bypass the valve stage as the Ebony A2 has.
When summing the mix gets to hot.

Well I bought the ZED R16 when I get it I'll take the Fat Track and the DO-F back to be fixed then I will sell it, I will never, ever, buy anything from TL Audio. (I also have a A2 and a 5013)

So guys! here is my experience with FAT TRACK and DO-F, really frustrating.
Old 23rd August 2011
Here for the gear

Always getting UA in Place of TLA for some reason !!

Hello My fellow Slutz,
I was asleep in 2007 when this thread started and was Dreaming that it will all end in 2012.
Unfortunately, I woke up 2011 and saw it ended in 2010.
To keep the thread alive that is why I'm posting on this day.
I haven't actually used any T.L Audio product unfortunately because whenever I go to buy one I always ended up getting convinced to buying Universal Audio Products.

Check this,First I wanted to buy TL5050 Preamp and Bought UA 710 twin finity
Secondly, Wanted to buy TL 5052 and ended up buying UAD 2 quad Satellite.

But hopefully the third time I think of buying TLA product will be TLA Product and not UA product.
But wait a sec, which one Do you guys think is the trend now as the Fat Track is more than 3years old.
I like Trend, I'm Not A Vintage Guy.
Any Help ... ?

zany4rhymes
Old 23rd August 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zany View Post
Hello My fellow Slutz,
I was asleep in 2007 when this thread started and was Dreaming that it will all end in 2012.
Unfortunately, I woke up 2011 and saw it ended in 2010.
To keep the thread alive that is why I'm posting on this day.
I haven't actually used any T.L Audio product unfortunately because whenever I go to buy one I always ended up getting convinced to buying Universal Audio Products.

Check this,First I wanted to buy TL5050 Preamp and Bought UA 710 twin finity
Secondly, Wanted to buy TL 5052 and ended up buying UAD 2 quad Satellite.

But hopefully the third time I think of buying TLA product will be TLA Product and not UA product.
But wait a sec, which one Do you guys think is the trend now as the Fat Track is more than 3years old.
I like Trend, I'm Not A Vintage Guy.
Any Help ... ?

zany4rhymes
We still sell the Fat Tracks and people still like them. If you want to try it in Miami, give us a ring.
Thanks
Scott
or pm me
Old 13th March 2012
Gear Maniac

I have a Fat Track and I can say I am really pleased with it and it's sound.
Well worth the money.
Old 27th April 2017
Here for the gear

I´m considering buying one for summing purposes. I need some nice glue for my tracks. Does any one have a stereo track summed with the Fat Track here to post?
An A/B comparison of the file summed with and without the Fat Track would be great too.

Thanks!
Old 23rd September 2019
Here for the gear

hi. does anyone know where i could possibly get rack ears for the fat track?
📝 Reply