The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A Thought to the Management
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

A Thought to the Management

Maybe I'm way off base, here, but I feel like there should be a seperate "new plug ins" page.

Just something to seperate the hardware from the software.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm with you on this one

It's getting hard to tell what is software and what is hardware just from post title.

I REALLY think there should be 2 separate sections....especially since these days much gets posted here (mostly software).

But I've openly requested this exact same wish many times and it seems like either most here don't care that much, or they certainly don't care enough to post here about it, hence nothing happens.

Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

+1
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Great Idea

+2
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

+3.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

even app specific like osxaudio

Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

I don't feel strongly about it, but count me as -1.

I like keeping it all in one place, so I don't have multiple forums to check. I already spend too much time on the internet as it is.

Also, I really suspect --- and this is speculative --- that the audio world of, say, 2010 will make very little distinction between hardware and software tools. Products will only be judged on their effectiveness in getting a particular result.

Not to go all Arthur C. Clarke on you...

- c
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

I think that the last two posts might be thinking a little too hard about it.

I don't really use plug-ins. There are about 500 million new plug-ins every second.
I don't care about them.

Joe Smith only uses plug ins.
He does not care about the latest and greatest "SSL" buss comp.

I only mention it since I noticed that the guitar-themed topics had been segregated from another forum. I assumed that it was to easier find information.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Thing is, this is Gearslutz, not software slutz.

Regardless of what holds for the future, gear is still king here....I don't think you'll find anyone here that wouldn't refuse a straight trade on an actual gear piece that his software is modeled after.

Even you software slutz would take the real thing if it was the same price...yet it's not.

I have nothing against software announcements....but as mentioned, there's like a biblical flood of this stuff everywhere and it's just drowning out the hardware alerts and for us hardware guys it's become time consuming to weed through pages of new software alerts to find a few hardware items.

Of course if you don't care about hardware, you don't need a change. But imagine if things were reversed and 90% of the new alerts were hardware and all you wanted to see was software....and most of the time you'd have to click on most of the links just to find the 10% of software posts?

Wouldn't be fun, would it?
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

does that mean we're gonna divide into softslutz and hardslutz?

i am +1 for the idea, although i find osxaudio/bigbluelounge a bit too specific, time consuming.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

gear = tools / hardware & software are both tools.

I vote tutt on hardware segregation in the "New Products category".

Do the protools hardware and daw hardware/converters go in the hardware category or the software category since they cannot be used without the software even though they are hardware
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by computa View Post
gear = tools / hardware & software are both tools.

I vote tutt on hardware segregation in the "New Products category".

Do the protools hardware and daw hardware/converters go in the hardware category or the software category since they cannot be used without the software even though they are hardware
With a post name of computa, what would we expect!

It's still hardware, not software.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search