The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fairlight's new Xynergi controller Control Surfaces
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

28K according to engadget
Old 12th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
My point had nothing to do with the collaborators being interested, though obviously that's an important factor (so obvious that I didn't think it needed to be expressed either by you or I). It had to do with who would profit from it.
Laser
You would think so, I bet there a plenty of people who miss the straight forward points though.

Quote:
Agree. But, still, from a price/performance standpoint, it remains primarily a post-production tool (assuming the price of the CC-1/controller is >$20k). Helluva product, though. For post-production, IMHO, it's going to do quite well.
Totally agree with you in its current commercial format this is what it looks like. However, I guess this discussion is getting around to what the young man from Harrison was not grasping at.

The CC-1 is virtually a PCIe card that has onboard RAM, a series of IO Connectors (BNC mainly) and .... this is the real kicker.... a blank, totally moldable CPU. Therefore it does not suffer from a fixed internal hardware architecture.stike (This is all in the whitepapers)

Lets take this further, one could potentially take this card, and have a range of CC-1(CPU) programming files for this one board, so the CC-1 could be a video scaler/render/color corrector OR purely a disk recorder with all the MADI IO that is had onboard OR its current inception of a Post Production Tool.

Fairlight is probably try to appease the market they have been dealing with the most with the dream range and once this is done... then take over the rest of the world.heh

Quote:
LOL. heh My degree is in Applied Physics. I've spent the last 15 years in strategic marketing, most of it at Director level. And, you?
Laser
Electrical Engineering,
Acoustics,
MBA

Last decade in R&D for silicon development.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclust View Post
28K according to engadget
Might be interesting as a system, but most of us look for controller.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Nut

G'day,

There have been quite a few requests here for pricing and also exactly what a system includes. To clarify:

The system is known as the Xynergi Media Production Centre (MPC) and obviously includes the Xynergi Controller.

It also includes ...
  • A CC-1 hardware acceleration card - offering 96 channels into the mix, each with 8 bands of EQ and 3 stages of dynamics. This same card is expandable to 230 channels.
  • SX-20 sync and audio I/O unit;
- 12 Analog outputs, 2 line level inputs.
- 2 Mic/Instrument Inputs with 48V.
- 4 SPDIF inputs, 8 SPDIF outputs
- A Sony 9 Pin master and slave port.
- Video sync input
- Midi – In/Out
- LTC/SMPTE
  • A 96 (expandable to 192) track disk recorder and editor.
  • Integrated video (SD or HD with capture).
  • 32 (expandable to 72) mix busses, automation, audio bridge to VST plug-ins, re-wire host, extensive file format support.
  • Embedded surround monitoring system - full monitoring matrix.
I have already described the Fader options in a previous post.

The price for this system is USD $21K.

Your comments and feedback thumbsup are always welcome.

Thanks and All the Best

Uncle Joe / Fairlight

Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Are there any detailed infos about the HUI compatibility?
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
G'day,

To clarify:[/COLOR][/FONT]
Uncle Joe, I greatly appreciate the straight forward answers! To be honest, I've had a hard time getting this in the past from Fairlight reps and this kind of clarity greatly helps.

All systems have limitations. Understanding limitations isn't looking for reasons not to buy, it's more to ensure that I'm going to be happy with the purchase after it's delivered.

That said................

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilWave View Post
I got a demo today - the controller is amazing, and the CC1 scalable FPGA engine makes so much sense. From DXD @ 384k down to good ole 48k and everything in between, all with near zero latency.
Can it import and mix at 88.2 KHz? Not a deal breaker, but my converters sound best for the type of music I record at this rate.

Quote:
96 channels into the mix, each with 8 bands of EQ and 3 stages of dynamics.
Is this also saying that I can mix 96 channels at one time at 88.2k (or 96k) without limitations on the CC-1 card and/or controller?

Can I utilize all 32 busses out at one time at 88.2k (or 96k) without limitations?

Quote:
audio bridge to VST plug-ins, re-wire host
Is there automatic latency compensation for VST or re-wire inserts?

Is there automatic latency compensation for hardware inserts?

Quote:
Integrated video (SD or HD with capture).
Is this the Fairlight Pyxis?
The website says the package comes with SD (not HD). On the $21k package, is HD part of the package?

Quote:
I have already described the Fader options in a previous post.
Now THE question: (clinching jaw, grabbing armrests of chair tightly while digging in fingernails). How much is the Fader 12-ch sidecar?

Again, thanks very much!

Laser
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Guru

the fairlight system i saw in vienna was pure badassery; the interface was like an extension of the operator's body, the realtime editing and manipulation of waves really has to be seen to be fully understood and appreciated.

if anybody has seen tom cruise in minority report, working the computer that interfaces with the pre-cogs' visions, the vibe is similar. there's lots of fluid gesturing and hand movements that look as much like a dance as a mix/edit session.

the whole platform has a kind of soul, it creates an experience and connection to the computer and the music that i've never really seen in a daw up to this point. very cool stuff!

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Now THE question: (clinching jaw, grabbing armrests of chair tightly while digging in fingernails). How much is the Fader 12-ch sidecar?

Again, thanks very much!

Laser
Yup, I'm curious, too. My piggy bank is hiding in a corner, shaking...heh

I'm looking at taking the load of my Logic Pro system for composing, and possibly using a Fairlight system for audio recording/playback, mixing, audio editing and video playback. When some cues start going up to 30-40+ tracks, my G5 starts huffing and puffing a bit...

I'm curious as to how the CC-1 and Xynergi system will integrate with something like TC Electronic's PowerCore, SSL's Duende and Universal's UAD-1's?

One last question - Will a Mac version ever see the light of day? Sorry, personal preference to Macs. Haven't had a PC in the studio for more than a year! Or would it be possible to run it on a Mac Pro system under Boot Camp?

Thanks in advance.
Anton
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonbuys View Post
Yup, I'm curious, too. My piggy bank is hiding in a corner, shaking...heh
Anton

heh heh heh
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
pure badassery.
Love that term. I'm using it on my lady the next time she starts to seduce me("Baby, you're pure badassery"). heh

........ummmm, how did the Fairlight sound (be honest, now)??

Laser
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoost View Post
Do you happen to know if they added the ability to edit by means of bars, beats, measurues and so on, using a grid snap ? Along with another distingushed buddy of mine, this was the biggest red flag. It may seem trivial to some, perhaps especially those in post for who their stuff is a dream but when the majority of your edit pocess is based around this method, it just seems a completely natural way of doing things.
You're kidding, right? I mean, are you seriously telling me that current Fairlight products cannot edit to a Bars/Beats gridmap?

If that's true, that fact alone would cut their sales at least in half. Which is a drag, because I've been halfway seriously looking at some of their new Crystal Core based systems.
Old 17th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Laser> Now THE question: (clinching jaw, grabbing armrests of chair tightly while digging in fingernails). How much is the Fader 12-ch sidecar?

Quote:
antonbuys> Yup, I'm curious, too. My piggy bank is hiding in a corner, shaking...heh

G'day.

Lads, I guess I should be a sales guy right? ... To be honest,
this is not the role that I care to assume on Gearslutz.

Fairlight Products, including Xynergi, are sold through a group of
Fairlight Business partners and dealers who have exclusive access
to our products on a territorial basis.

Prices may differ very slightly from dealer to dealer
as a result of import charges, duties an taxes … With
all my respect to both you and our Business partners and dealers,
I suggest that you make contact with the partner that is nearest to you.
They will certainly supply you with all the pricing details necessary.

Please be aware that there are four preconfigured ‘systems’.

There are two controller only systems (Xynergi MPC-96 and MPC-144)
and two including fader sidecars (Xynergi MPC-144F and MPC-230F).

There are also a number of options that
can be purchased with the Xynergi systems.

Note: All systems include a CC-1 card, Xynergi Controller,
SX-20 and PyxisTrack.

There is no individual item price for the Xynergi Controller
as it may not be purchased on its own.

Laser, Thanks for your posts ... you might be happy to know that Fairlight
is supporting a special offer to celebrate the Xynergi MPC launch.
This offer includes a free Fairlight fader sidecar with
the Xynergi MPC-144 config. You dealer has full details.

Contact information for our Partners and dealers can be found here:

Please get back to me if you
cannot quickly and efficiently obtain detailed pricing.

Thanks for your consideration.

All the best,

Uncle Joe / Fairlight

Old 17th September 2007
Here for the gear

Thanks Joe for the last post, you can take your Salesmans hat off now!

Can all USA inquires for Xynergi and all other Fairlight products please contact FairlightUS. The phone numbers and contact details are on on "Contacts" section of our WEB site Welcome To Fairlight US - Provider of Professional Audio Production Solutions

Thanks
[Steve]
Old 17th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
[FONT=Tahoma]Lads, I guess I should be a sales guy right? ... To be honest, this is not the role that I care to assume on Gearslutz.
Thanks Uncle Joe,

We understand. I think we were looking at getting a rough idea (MSRP), instead of a quoted (Street) price. But, I'll get into contact with your offices, to discuss my particular needs. The only thing that still scares the daylights out of me is the import tax here in Taiwan - 30% on mixers and anything with a moving fader/controller!

Best
Anton
Old 18th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
slaves666> Too bad it doesn't work with Nuendo. :(
Quote:
DrDeltaM> As in: controls other DAWs as well besides Fairlight products?
Quote:
Sigmatibet> No way one can use it with Nuendo, is it?
Quote:
TheSweetener>...and it just works with Fairlight or what?
I meant, does the controller work with other software than Fairlight?
Quote:
Mikesilence> IS it possible to connect it to other systems e.g. my Mac with Logic?? *g*
Howdy,

“The essence of the controller is that it is ‘application aware’.
In Fairlight language this means it knows what mode the operator
is in (recording, editing, mixing, set-up) and instantly
presents the function choices relevant to that mode
whilst hiding those that aren’t”

In the core architecture of this particular controller technology,
we have included and devised an SDK ( Software Development Kit )
for the future, which would allow other DAW manufacturers
to support this controller in their own applications.
Question might be … Who else wants to play?

All the best,

Uncle Joe / Fairlight

Old 18th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killahurts View Post
this won't work with a Mac Pro, will it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonbuys View Post
One last question - Will a Mac version ever see the light of day? Sorry, personal preference to Macs. Haven't had a PC in the studio for more than a year! Or would it be possible to run it on a Mac Pro system under Boot Camp?
Hello,

The Xynergi controller is simply a USB device ... This, the CC-1 card and software runs on a Mac Pro under Boot Camp.

Thanks,

Uncle Joe / Fairlight

Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

All the best,

Uncle Joe / Fairlight

Interesting, but only if the Xynegri controller would also be sold on it's own for a competitive price.
Old 18th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Howdy,

“The essence of the controller is that it is ‘application aware’.
In Fairlight language this means it knows what mode the operator
is in (recording, editing, mixing, set-up) and instantly
presents the function choices relevant to that mode
whilst hiding those that aren’t”

I'm thinking you may have to make the first move... Pick a DAW and work with it, or, a protocol (maybe HUI) and implement it, to showcase the further possibilities. Otherwise, it may end up something like Pyramix/SoundScape/Sadie, with a very small limited client base.

Quote:
Hello,

The Xynergi controller is simply a USB device ... This, the CC-1 card and software runs on a Mac Pro under Boot Camp.

Thanks,

Uncle Joe / Fairlight

That is one piece of good news, as far as I'm concerned, anyway...heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISCERN View Post
I assume this means you can buy the Xynergi by itself as a standalone product? It really seems counterintuitive to think software application developers will utilize a product that is otherwise entirely proprietary and sold in a 21k hardware/software system. Some of the comments made by fairlight when asked about other software compatability leave me scratching my head.
That makes 2 of us. And means that, unless it can control my Logic Pro composing rig, on one Mac, soft samplers/VSTi's on my other Mac, and then also the Fairlight system for audio recording/playback/video playback on a third Mac, and with perfect sync and some form of MMC/MTC, it's not worth it. (Don't want several different controllers to accomplish this.) The Euphonix MC can control up to 255 (theoretically) seperate workstations, including Pro Tools/Nuendo/Logic Pro, etc. With HUI emulation thrown in... And it's a bit less $...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM View Post
Interesting, but only if the Xynegri controller would also be sold on it's own for a competitive price.
Yes, that would be interesting, especially if the 12 fader sidecars can then also work with it, with or without the CC-1 system.

Anton
Old 19th September 2007
Here for the gear

Why Fairlight don't simply sell only cc-1 card with editing software etc. + SX-20 - and controller as option ? It would be very intresting for "small player" and for plugin's developers too, i think. I have not to buy Protools with Icon...

Martin
Old 22nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
You're kidding, right? I mean, are you seriously telling me that current Fairlight products cannot edit to a Bars/Beats gridmap?

If that's true, that fact alone would cut their sales at least in half. Which is a drag, because I've been halfway seriously looking at some of their new Crystal Core based systems.
It gets better.

Just confirmed (I had heard it earlier, but several people including Henchman told me I was wrong) , the CC-1 software can't do 88.2k or 96k either (48k max).....which explains why my questions were ignored. No scheduled date when this will be improved.

So much for processing power.

Too bad. I was seriously ready to jump on the Fairlight bandwagon.

Oh, well.

Laser
Old 22nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
Yes, this fact was confirmed to me by an existing Fairlight user here in the UK a number of months ago!
Old 22nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just confirmed (I had heard it earlier, but several people including Henchman told me I was wrong) , the CC-1 software can't do 88.2k or 96k either (48k max).....
Huh!?!

Quote:
which explains why my questions were ignored.
Yes, if we keep quiet thy won't find out!
Old 23rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Ah, Fairlight, the company that sold me a $35,000 recording system, then went out of business. To be fair (no pun intended), as I recall they dropped the Merlin before going out of business, so I can't blame the current regime for that. The fact that I received no warning and no "Gee, we're sorry about that" is a little disturbing though.

As someone else has already mentioned, it appears that Fairlight is still pursuing a rather "different" business model. I don't know how you can compete with Digi when there are only a handful of "dealer/service centers" who sell the product. OTOH, before they went out of business they had a massively overblown sales structure. At that time there was no way they could sell enough systems to pay all those employees and pay rent for the buildings in Hollywood and elsewhere. The downsizing was definitely necessary, but I think an overall different approach is still needed. Maybe try trusting some other dealers besides just the people who used to work for Fairlight and currently service them.
Old 5th October 2007
Gear Nut

Post Xynergi - Bars and Beats

Hello Slutz,

Did somebody here mention Bars & Beats - and a snap/grid ?

Thank you all for the precious feedback

For any of you who will be at the AES in NYC. Stop by and say hello.

Fairlight Stand 142.

Catch you all later.

All the best -

Uncle Joe / Fairlight

Old 5th October 2007
Quote:
Hello Slutz,

Did somebody here mention Bars & Beats - and a snap/grid ?

Thank you all for the precious feedback

wow...bars&beats.... THAT was my precious feedback 6 months ago... =))
Old 18th July 2008
IN thread revival mode:

Joe, do you think that it is possible that the cc-1 platform support Eucon? I now that you make the Anthem et al, but for those who chose differently but still love the Fairlight for it's editing functions and reliability (and maybe for it's internal mixer, after all... why not?)

Steven
Old 20th July 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1145 View Post
IN thread revival mode:

Joe, do you think that it is possible that the cc-1 platform support Eucon? I now that you make the Anthem et al, but for those who chose differently but still love the Fairlight for it's editing functions and reliability (and maybe for it's internal mixer, after all... why not?)

Steven
Hi Steven,

There are no current plans to implement Eucon protocol. We have obviously been requested to be "controllable" by other work surfaces. Therefore ... Xynergi has
implemented the full specification as a Hui protocol slave.

This allows the following functions by default to be controlled remotely:

Transport states including Jog and Shuttle
Jog Frames (i.e. the system can be jogged remotely)
Fader levels (bidirectional for motor control)
Mutes, Solos, Track Arms, Channel Selects (note: Channel Select will arm a track if the Arm or ADR menu is current)
Channel names.

Please note that other "buttons" from these controllers can also be mapped to Dream II functions. So to implement and customize other key events to work, you must use a dedicated file called remap.txt

This remap file can "script" and take keys coming in from the HUI device, and route them to keys on your Dream II system.

Hope this helps mate.

Regards,

Uncle Joe / FairlightAU

Old 21st July 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1145 View Post
IN thread revival mode:

Steven
that would be like if Fairlight asked Euphonix if Fairlight could make it's surfaces support Eucon (hence stealing a euphonix sale), Euphonix would never do it. I find it ironic that a bunch of users are asking for Eucon support for DAWS from companies that also make controllers (Fairlight, Digi), what do you think these companies are going to say???!!!! THIS WOULD BE COMPETITION FOR THE HARDWARE THAT FAIRLIGHT MAKE! I love how Euphonix have somehow gotten away with appearing like they are this open format, when really they are as closed as any other platform, and Eucon is just as proprietary to hardware as digi or fairlight. Is Eucon the new Pro Tools?
Old 21st July 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearsux View Post
that would be like if Fairlight asked Euphonix if Fairlight could make it's surfaces support Eucon (hence stealing a euphonix sale), Euphonix would never do it. I find it ironic that a bunch of users are asking for Eucon support for DAWS from companies that also make controllers (Fairlight, Digi), what do you think these companies are going to say???!!!! THIS WOULD BE COMPETITION FOR THE HARDWARE THAT FAIRLIGHT MAKE! I love how Euphonix have somehow gotten away with appearing like they are this open format, when really they are as closed as any other platform, and Eucon is just as proprietary to hardware as digi or fairlight. Is Eucon the new Pro Tools?
I would'nt get so upset about it. It's just that we happen to own a S5-Fusion, and understandably we would like to get the best out of it. There is no reason for Fairlight to be/feel insulted by my simple question. Questions are asked to get answers. After all that it's just business. Whatever the answer we'll take it into consideration. But for us it's not just to follow a trend, it's because in our current setup Eucon is one of our worktools thanks to the Nuendo integration.
Then again, I'm free to say that I prefer the System5 as a controller vs other controllers am I not? It's all down to personnal prefs mate.

Peace,

Steven
Old 21st July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearsux View Post
Is Eucon the new Pro Tools?

No. Since Digi still hasn't been able to design a useful controller that makes sense.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search