The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
More iPod Crap...no Logic 8 DAW Software
Old 5th September 2007
  #1
Lives for gear
 
gsilbers's Avatar
 

Angry More iPod Crap...no Logic 8




http://www.apple.com/
Old 5th September 2007
  #2
Here for the gear
 
Binturong's Avatar
 

All everyone here at work talks about is the damn new ipod touch screen crap. It really isn't all that great in my eyes. I get by with the huge "inconvenience" of using the freaking touch wheel thingy. Like its that big a difference.
Old 5th September 2007
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Well, I'm a sucker for touch screens, but I'd much rather see a new Logic.
Old 5th September 2007
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
semtek's Avatar
 

It was inevitable - it's more likely to be announced closer to AES at a seperate briefing given that it's such a niche product for them. Must say the new iPods with wi-fi look pretty cool, I think I'll be getting myself one of those for surfing. If you can run voip on them, all the better!

How many copies of Logic do you think they've sold so far? Their problem now is that the poor customer relations and publicity on the Logic side will repell new users. The majority of sales are likely to be existing users upgrading, which is not great for their business.

Digital Performer is looking all the more enticing...
Old 5th September 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 
gsilbers's Avatar
 

true... i dont see steve jobs fiddling around with something like logic. he seems more of the garabageband crowd.

maybe in the AES or namm.
Old 5th September 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
 
muziksculp's Avatar
 

"iWait" 4 Logic Pro 8 Released !
Old 5th September 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 

So, what's wrong with Logic 7 that makes the wait for Logic 8 so completely unbearable? I never understood the whole "need/have to upgrade" thing.
Old 5th September 2007
  #8
Gear Maniac
 

i'm looking forward to logic 8 as much as the next guy, but i hope noone here really expected to get an announcement today.

do you really think apple is going to put together a press event for a pro niche product?

nope!
Old 5th September 2007
  #9
Gear Addict
 
Siem's Avatar
 

I think there really will be a logic 8 pretty soon (before the end of the year):

- There's more focus on other stuff for the software developers now that Leopard, the iPhone, iWork and iLife are mostly taken care of.
- Apple doesn't brew up an audio-interface with Apogee without strategic reason.
- Some people have to supply the iTunes music store.

I don't expect a formal event for Logic 8, it will be more like a side-note.
Old 5th September 2007
  #10
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyle tromb View Post
i'm looking forward to logic 8 as much as the next guy, but i hope noone here really expected to get an announcement today.
I'm looking forward to it as well, but not as desperately as some would appear to be.
You would think it was a heart transplant.

I'm betting that when it is released that the same people will be the first ones to post about how amazing it is and how it was 'totally worth the wait'.

But maybe I'm a cynic.
Old 5th September 2007
  #11
Lives for gear
 

I might get the new ipod, but I to would love to see logic come out first since they dropped the iphone first... Someone contact the guy at apple and info out when Logic 8 is going to be released








---------------- Now playing: Kirk Franklin - Jesus Is The Reason For The Season via FoxyTunes
Old 5th September 2007
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Jazzpunk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
I'm looking forward to it as well, but not as desperately as some would appear to be.
You would think it was a heart transplant.

I'm betting that when it is released that the same people will be the first ones to post about how amazing it is and how it was 'totally worth the wait'.

But maybe I'm a cynic.
I'm betting you are exactly right.

I think those of us who have long been hoping that Logic gets a major facelift are going to be very happy while I think those who love Logic as it is are going to be left pining for the 'legacy' days.

MagicLogicBand here we come!
Old 5th September 2007
  #13
Lives for gear
 
muziksculp's Avatar
 

My wild guess is that Apple would like to make a big splash in the Pro Audio marketplace with the new Logic Pro 8, or Logic Studio Pro, or bla bla bla , for this to happen, Logic Pro 8 will need to be a fully functional 64 bit application, with tight integration features, and near zero latency when used on Apogee's audio interfaces using the Symphony Card systems.

So, logically ... O.S. 10.5. Leopard ---> Then Logic Pro 8

Again, this is a quite a wild guess, there is still a slim chance that they will release it before Leopard possibly during late Sept. or early Oct., hopefully we won't have to wait till Nov.

Who knows, it might be a Halloween surprise from Apple !
Old 5th September 2007
  #14
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
I'm betting you are exactly right.

I think those of us who have long been hoping that Logic gets a major facelift are going to be very happy while I think those who love Logic as it is are going to be left pining for the 'legacy' days.

MagicLogicBand here we come!
LOL.
I'm just hoping that they don't ditch DAE support- but I can probably move over to PT for tracking.
I much prefer Logic for tracking/arranging though.
Old 6th September 2007
  #15
Gear Maniac
 
semtek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
I'm betting you are exactly right.

I think those of us who have long been hoping that Logic gets a major facelift are going to be very happy while I think those who love Logic as it is are going to be left pining for the 'legacy' days.

MagicLogicBand here we come!
xactly, that's the irony. when it does drop everyon'es just going to want to stay on Logic 7 cos there'll be no environment and so on.

i do think that the particular interest in this release is due to a general underlying anxiety about the future of the product, and also the fact that when you drop $1000+ on a piece of software you are investing in future updates. the features it does/doesn't have will influence my software and hardware buying decisions.

although i can appreciate the need to withold information on mainstream consumer product launches like the iPodPhoneTouch or whatever, i think that lack of info at what's coming in logic 8 is unnecessary and inconvenient. makes you kinda wish emagic never got bought out... iSteve's approach just doesn't really work for this kind of software imo.
Old 6th September 2007
  #16
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers View Post
aes...aes...aes...
Old 6th September 2007
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmetre View Post
aes...aes...aes...
One can always hope heh
Old 6th September 2007
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Jazzpunk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by semtek View Post
i do think that the particular interest in this release is due to a general underlying anxiety about the future of the product, and also the fact that when you drop $1000+ on a piece of software you are investing in future updates. the features it does/doesn't have will influence my software and hardware buying decisions.

although i can appreciate the need to withold information on mainstream consumer product launches like the iPodPhoneTouch or whatever, i think that lack of info at what's coming in logic 8 is unnecessary and inconvenient. makes you kinda wish emagic never got bought out... iSteve's approach just doesn't really work for this kind of software imo.
Well said.

(I would've called it a cluster fuc$ but the way you put it is good too. )
Old 6th September 2007
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Jazzpunk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
LOL.
I'm just hoping that they don't ditch DAE support- but I can probably move over to PT for tracking.
I much prefer Logic for tracking/arranging though.
I'm dying for a monumental upgrade to the Hyper editor but fear it may disappear altogether.
Old 6th September 2007
  #20
Gear Head
 

Cool

I love the title of this THREAD. What a let down by Apple... of course!
Old 6th September 2007
  #21
visions of Studio Vision?

nah just kidding, way too busy to be concerned.
V.8 will mean another 3.5 K euros for a new cpu and update. not really in a hurry to spend it.
Old 6th September 2007
  #22
Gear Maniac
 
esteso's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
I'm looking forward to it as well, but not as desperately as some would appear to be.
You would think it was a heart transplant.
Hey Jim,

I've stopped using Logic and have for about a year now. Doing audio and just can't deal with Logic when I can use DP or PT just as easily. (I don't really like DP either.... buggy, but at least I can sample accurately edit audio)

Anyway I hope to get back to Logic with the new version and looking for a new, streamlined workflow. I always thought Logic was kind of stoopid. Designed by programmers with nary a clue about how to work efficiently.
Old 6th September 2007
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Switchcraft's Avatar
 

Logic 8

Well, I ordered a couple Maintenance editions of Logic (basically 3 years with free updates available to institutions) and I have been waiting for the delivery for about two weeks...

So, I called and asked what the hold up was and I was told that they cannot deliver the maintenance editions until Oct. 4th.

That is suspicously close to AES.

It probably means nothing, but I could see them waiting to ship out the real version of 8, rather than 7 now and then 8 in four weeks.

speculation at its best.
Old 6th September 2007
  #24
Lives for gear
 
spiderman's Avatar
Let's face it. Apple is in it for the dollar and Logic aint the same number of zeros that i**** is.

I'm holding my official judgement for post-release but I fear Apple is out to exploit Logic's technology and NOT out to make the world's greatest DAW platform.

Fingers crossed... with suspicion.
Old 6th September 2007
  #25
Lives for gear
 
mersisblue's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siem View Post
I think there really will be a logic 8 pretty soon (before the end of the year):

- There's more focus on other stuff for the software developers now that Leopard, the iPhone, iWork and iLife are mostly taken care of.
- Apple doesn't brew up an audio-interface with Apogee without strategic reason.
- Some people have to supply the iTunes music store.

I don't expect a formal event for Logic 8, it will be more like a side-note.

One reason legal ...
Old 6th September 2007
  #26
Lives for gear
 
mersisblue's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by semtek View Post
It was inevitable - it's more likely to be announced closer to AES at a seperate briefing given that it's such a niche product for them. Must say the new iPods with wi-fi look pretty cool, I think I'll be getting myself one of those for surfing. If you can run voip on them, all the better!

How many copies of Logic do you think they've sold so far? Their problem now is that the poor customer relations and publicity on the Logic side will repell new users. The majority of sales are likely to be existing users upgrading, which is not great for their business.

Digital Performer is looking all the more enticing...
IDK i think a lot of old users are not going to .... i think they know there customer base is new users ...

and if not ... thats what they want
Old 6th September 2007
  #27
Lives for gear
 
mersisblue's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by semtek View Post
It was inevitable - it's more likely to be announced closer to AES at a seperate briefing given that it's such a niche product for them. Must say the new iPods with wi-fi look pretty cool, I think I'll be getting myself one of those for surfing. If you can run voip on them, all the better!

How many copies of Logic do you think they've sold so far? Their problem now is that the poor customer relations and publicity on the Logic side will repell new users. The majority of sales are likely to be existing users upgrading, which is not great for their business.

Digital Performer is looking all the more enticing...
let me kow if you wanna buy my copy of DP 5 I could use the money
Old 6th September 2007
  #28
Lives for gear
 
mersisblue's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenovice View Post
Let's face it. Apple is in it for the dollar and Logic aint the same number of zeros that i**** is.

I'm holding my official judgement for post-release but I fear Apple is out to exploit Logic's technology and NOT out to make the world's greatest DAW platform.

Fingers crossed... with suspicion.
I hope they are into making the best niche Virtual instrument host

with better audio then they have now .. but not the best its not needed IMO

do what they do best and dont try to be somethng its not

when you do that you get feautres liek PDC that dont work well in real world situations

now if PDC automatically truned off during recording to tracks and instruments then...

but thats too hard i guess or it would be in there
Old 6th September 2007
  #29
Lives for gear
 
C_F_H_13's Avatar
 

Logic 8 won't be ANNOUNCED till after the new OSX comes out, and won't be available for 2-3 months afterwards.

My guess you'll be able to get your hands on it around feb 08
Old 6th September 2007
  #30
Jobs is milking the cow real good....
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
pan60 / The Moan Zone
17
parissound / The Moan Zone
11
fuzzface777 / Gear free zone - shoot the breeze
1
T. Biddy / So much gear, so little time
11

Forum Jump
Forum Jump