The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BUs BOy Stereo Bus Compressor ??? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Head

BUs BOy Stereo Bus Compressor ???

Does anyone know about these?
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ogID=305203579
Cheers
Dale
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

interesting

AA
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Looks like an SSL clone to me
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

another ssl clone me thinks tutt
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

i'm nearly 99% shure that it's based on (if not the exact) scheme of the gyraf bus compressor. the sidechain and transformer mods are very well documented on the group DIY forums so .... go figure.

oh and the design sucks IMO

it might be interesting to see what's under the hood.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

wow, the gssl buzz is non-stop!
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheuzrecords View Post
i'm nearly 99% shure that it's based on (if not the exact) scheme of the gyraf bus compressor. the sidechain and transformer mods are very well documented on the group DIY forums so .... go figure.

oh and the design sucks IMO

it might be interesting to see what's under the hood.
Yeah they are fkng ugly I.M.O.
Those knobs are so massive and just don't look right, and the colors are gross!
I told the guy I might be interested in one if he could change the design, at which he got very defensive and deleted my comment! I wouldn't buy one purely on the aesthetics of the unit.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Am I the only one who thinks they look nice?
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
Am I the only one who thinks they look nice?
nope.
AA
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I like the big knobs
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Head

This guy really should prove that he used a complete new design/layout by posting inside pics. Otherwise i fear it's another gyraf rip-off and his adds should be deleted here. Just like with this malkjos guy.

Flo
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

My buddy, Andy, makes these units.

We have Serial No. 1.

Haven't done a mix without it in over a year and a half that we've had it.

Killer product from a killer guy.

Andy is also, an incredibly talented mixer and composer.

I don't think it's fair for those to be so presumptuous and speak negatively about a product you haven't yet heard.
To be honest, they are the closest thing I've used next to the original design of the SSL Quad Compressor.

I'm sure there are many guys who feel that they can do an equal or better job designing the gear themselves. That's perfectly fine.
I do, however, feel that there are more people like myself, who do not have the time to devote to designing a unit that they could be using NOW.
Knowing who and what I'm dealing with, gives me much greater faith in this product.

You all are welcome to hook-up with me for a demo of the unit.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Head

I never knocked the sound quality of those units. It's just that they really look like gyraf rip-offs.
So if they aren't it's no problem for this guy to post a inside pic of his units to prove us wrong.
Until this happens it is very questionable simply because there are just way too many people already doing exactly this.

Time for posting inside pics. I think it's in the best of interest for this guy to distance himself from using the gyraf project.

Flo
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

It's all good.

I think it's just the timing.
There is a lot of hype about these SSL clones.

Andy has been working on them for a couple years now, which is totally coincidental. He's slowly going public with it and is planning to produce the units commercially.

His original blog about these units was originally posted well over a year ago.

I support him 100%.

You gotta remember that the design is technically of an SSL. Gyraf has just posted the schematics of how to do-it-yourself.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Head

Well just like i said, if this guy is working on those units quite some time and they are not based on gyrafs work there is no problem why he can't post inside pics. Just as they say, a pic tells more than 1000 words.

The gyraf gssl project is over 5 years old, just for the record.

And no, gyraf didn't just post the schematic. He also made a pcb layout for his version and made the layout public for everybody to download. And the use of this layout is strictly non-commercial.

Oh and since you support him 100% and you have a unit maybe you can post a inside pic. Like i said i think it's in the best of interest for this guy to distance himself from using gyrafs project.

Flo
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Nut

post a pic of the inside please!!!!
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipagel View Post
post a pic of the inside please!!!!
yes, a look under the hood will reveal everything. if it's an own design or if it's a gyraf ripoff
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal_Death View Post
This guy really should prove that he used a complete new design/layout by posting inside pics. Otherwise i fear it's another gyraf rip-off and his adds should be deleted here. Just like with this malkjos guy.

Flo
ok I dont get it
isnt the gyraf diy basically a SSL RIP OFF?
I mean the rolls unit, the Obsidian, smart's comp...
there's alot of tech going on these days that are remakes, retakes, or just plain rip offs of older/other technology.
I personally dont feel like this guy needs to show you guys anything!

If am wrong about my conclusion I'd like know because honestly right now I dont get the hostility towards this person.....
Either you'll buy the product or you wont!

AA.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

The issue is that Gyraf showed a way of DIYing it but not for commercial purposes.The true ripoffs are people who sell them commercially.
The GSSL is not a copy..the detector implementation is different
I dont know Gyraf personally but I have great respect for him after spending some time in the DIY community
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle of Weight View Post
ok I dont get it
there's alot of tech going on these days that are remakes, retakes, or just plain rip offs of older/other technology.

If am wrong about my conclusion I'd like know because honestly right now I dont get the hostility towards this person.....

AA.
Well bit mangler already said it. Besides being different, Gyraf has made the pcb layout and strictly forbade the commercial use of it. I don't think for example the smart unit has the same layout.

His units just are looking so similiar to the gssl. He even has the exact same frontpanel control order layout.
So now it's time to step up and show us that he is using his own design/layout work. I don't think anybody has a problem with this guy having a ssl style compressor for sale, people just would have a problem when this guy is using gssl informations/layout.

Flo
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bit mangler View Post
The issue is that Gyraf showed a way of DIYing it but not for commercial purposes.The true ripoffs are people who sell them commercially.
The GSSL is not a copy..the detector implementation is different
I dont know Gyraf personally but I have great respect for him after spending some time in the DIY community
first I'm not here to fight with anybody so dont flame me for wanting to sort through this......

OK, so the issue is that Gyraf is extending himself to help DIY'ers and that someone using this good will for commercial purposes is wrong? is this it?

if the ripoffs are people who sell a former design commercially, does this only apply to DIY stuff? isnt there alot of current manufacturers that we all love who are basically providing rip offs right now?
Infernal death was interested in seeing a completely new design ... Im sorry if I'm missing the point, but I'm not seeing alot of completely new designs (apiish, neveish, la2aish)

If someone wanted to pay 1500 (which I dont believe I would) for someone to build a gyraf GSSL comp that should be on the consumer to decide. Isnt this still a service?

or, if this is some rip, would it have been better for this person to say for sale assembled GSSL comperssor or would that still be a rip?

Aaron
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well bit mangler already said it. Besides being different, Gyraf has made the pcb layout and strictly forbade the commercial use of it. I don't think for example the smart unit has the same layout.

His units just are looking so similiar to the gssl. He even has the exact same frontpanel control order layout.
So now it's time to step up and show us that he is using his own design/layout work. I don't think anybody has a problem with this guy having a ssl style compressor for sale, people just would have a problem when this guy is using gssl informations/layout.

Flo
all right I looked it up here
SSL Clone construction page

and this is a quote from the site...
..And oh, by the way - I hate to have to mention this, but it seems to be necessary: Please read (and understand) the disclaimer on our main DIY-page. Even though you may like to, you are not allowed to use the projects described in these pages for any kind of commercial purpose - including building units for others where that involves money and such.. All this is ment for free, educative, purposes - please don't distort that..

all right so I'm out!
thats enough for me, thanks for the explanation

Aaron
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
first I'm not here to fight with anybody so dont flame me for wanting to sort through this......

OK, so the issue is that Gyraf is extending himself to help DIY'ers and that someone using this good will for commercial purposes is wrong? is this it?

if the ripoffs are people who sell a former design commercially, does this only apply to DIY stuff? isnt there alot of current manufacturers that we all love who are basically providing rip offs right now?
Infernal death was interested in seeing a completely new design ... Im sorry if I'm missing the point, but I'm not seeing alot of completely new designs (apiish, neveish, la2aish)

If someone wanted to pay 1500 (which I dont believe I would) for someone to build a gyraf GSSL comp that should be on the consumer to decide. Isnt this still a service?

or, if this is some rip, would it have been better for this person to say for sale assembled GSSL comperssor or would that still be a rip?

Aaron
Yes it's wrong to use gyrafs good will and make money of his hard work.
Well for example with neve it's up to them to prevent companies from using their designs. I don't think anybody ever said it's not ok to make a ssl style compressor. It's just using gyrafs work and make profit with it a no go.

I also said i would be interested in seeing a new design/layout, which means one or the other. Means i got absolutely no problem if he has builded a ssl style compressor. I just have a problem if he used gyrafs informations/work/layout. The thing is just that if people start to sell those projects commercially and making a big profit, people like gyraf will stop publisihing such projects and people like myself and many others here won't be able to build such stuff for their own use.

This whole discussion is pretty speculative. This guy should just show us that he doesn't use gyraf's work and everything is ok.

Flo
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes it's wrong to use gyrafs good will and make money of his hard work.
Well for example with neve it's up to them to prevent companies from using their designs. I don't think anybody ever said it's not ok to make a ssl style compressor. It's just using gyrafs work and make profit with it a no go.

I also said i would be interested in seeing a new design/layout, which means one or the other. Means i got absolutely no problem if he has builded a ssl style compressor. I just have a problem if he used gyrafs informations/work/layout. The thing is just that if people start to sell those projects commercially and making a big profit, people like gyraf will stop publisihing such projects and people like myself and many others here won't be able to build such stuff for their own use.

This whole discussion is pretty speculative. This guy should just show us that he doesn't use gyraf's work and everything is ok.

Flo
True,
Yea, I got it! I probably posted while you were typing
thanks again.

AA.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
ok I dont get it

AA.
These are fine questions to ask...

The Roll unit is SSL inspired for sure but an entire redesign, and like the Smart, should be seen as an evolution of a circuit and thus a new product. (I'm not so sure about the Obsidian as I haven't peaked under the hood).

Remakes and retakes are one thing, but using DIY info and resources for the sole purpose of turning a profit is unethical, against Gyraf's guidelines and in some cases, if the company is currently producing that product, illegal.

It's hard to draw black and white lines as there are all kinds of variations of the unethical theme and there are plenty of brands making a nice profit right now banking on the good brand name of previous products. (think of any Neve, Pultec, or EMI remake).

But, on a selfish note, seeing multiple DIY pieces sold with a "for profit" model (yet to be confirmed) irks me because it directly affects guys like me, who are getting a free college level EE training from all the bright members of the prodigy-pro forums. Selling DIY threatens to disrupt that community. If a company thinks that info being shared on a DIY site directly affects their profit margin in some way, they WILL get lawyers to poke around and scare people away. It totally sucks.

Jakob has spent countless hours making the info available to the general public in order to bolster the DIY community and inspire yet to be audio electronic engineers (a dying breed of people). Selling these projects with a for profit model hurts the DIY community and sours the spirit of free information exchange currently found on many DIY websites.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Words of wisdom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_nomad View Post
These are fine questions to ask...

The Roll unit is SSL inspired for sure but an entire redesign, and like the Smart, should be seen as an evolution of a circuit and thus a new product. (I'm not so sure about the Obsidian as I haven't peaked under the hood).

Remakes and retakes are one thing, but using DIY info and resources for the sole purpose of turning a profit is unethical, against Gyraf's guidelines and in some cases, if the company is currently producing that product, illegal.

It's hard to draw black and white lines as there are all kinds of variations of the unethical theme and there are plenty of brands making a nice profit right now banking on the good brand name of previous products. (think of any Neve, Pultec, or EMI remake).

But, on a selfish note, seeing multiple DIY pieces sold with a "for profit" model (yet to be confirmed) irks me because it directly affects guys like me, who are getting a free college level EE training from all the bright members of the prodigy-pro forums. Selling DIY threatens to disrupt that community. If a company thinks that info being shared on a DIY site directly affects their profit margin in some way, they WILL get lawyers to poke around and scare people away. It totally sucks.

Jakob has spent countless hours making the info available to the general public in order to bolster the DIY community and inspire yet to be audio electronic engineers (a dying breed of people). Selling these projects with a for profit model hurts the DIY community and sours the spirit of free information exchange currently found on many DIY websites.
Old 5th September 2007
Here for the gear

I'm sure the Impact plug sounds much better than these "Clones" heh.
Jj
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesone View Post
Jj
No, it doesn't. Not even close.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_nomad View Post

Well said. One member of of the Groudiy.com website (NewYorkDave) removed many of the designs he had shared for similar reasons. He didn't want people to rip off his ideas and sell them commercially. A lot of Jakob's work has opened up a whole new world for me personally. I've built a number of the projects discussed on the site and am continuing to learn and build more. Who knows--maybe one day I'll have my own original design to share or sell. But that definitely won't happen if the well of knowledge dries up.

Like others said--a pic of the insides will clear everything up. Someone go to Stewart's studio and please take a picture!

Brad
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesone View Post
Jj
no f*cking way

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search