The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BUs BOy Stereo Bus Compressor ??? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I have no DIY skill, what is are the ethics of having someone build one for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_nomad View Post
These are fine questions to ask...

The Roll unit is SSL inspired for sure but an entire redesign, and like the Smart, should be seen as an evolution of a circuit and thus a new product. (I'm not so sure about the Obsidian as I haven't peaked under the hood).

Remakes and retakes are one thing, but using DIY info and resources for the sole purpose of turning a profit is unethical, against Gyraf's guidelines and in some cases, if the company is currently producing that product, illegal.

It's hard to draw black and white lines as there are all kinds of variations of the unethical theme and there are plenty of brands making a nice profit right now banking on the good brand name of previous products. (think of any Neve, Pultec, or EMI remake).

But, on a selfish note, seeing multiple DIY pieces sold with a "for profit" model (yet to be confirmed) irks me because it directly affects guys like me, who are getting a free college level EE training from all the bright members of the prodigy-pro forums. Selling DIY threatens to disrupt that community. If a company thinks that info being shared on a DIY site directly affects their profit margin in some way, they WILL get lawyers to poke around and scare people away. It totally sucks.

Jakob has spent countless hours making the info available to the general public in order to bolster the DIY community and inspire yet to be audio electronic engineers (a dying breed of people). Selling these projects with a for profit model hurts the DIY community and sours the spirit of free information exchange currently found on many DIY websites.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I think it looks great! To each their own I guess.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
I have no DIY skill, what is are the ethics of having someone build one for me?
Well you'll probably get a lot of different answers for this kind of question. I personally don't think one-offs are a big deal. If you have a buddy who builds projects and is willing to do this for you at a reasonable price (usually parts cost x 2), then go for it. Maybe he/she can teach you how to eventually build your own...
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtGarceau View Post
No. The Gyraf version is not an exact rip-off.
ok Art,
I did not say it was an exact rip-off!.
And I have already bowed out of this.
but it is an ssl clone of sorts, right? it is called the gssl, hey Im not a DIYer what do I know
Look I dont have a problem with clones or neve-ishes, api-ishes, la2a-ishes, quad pre-ishes, or pultec-ishes
I just wanted to know why everybody was getting hot at this guy, when I did my research I see where Mr Gyraf is coming from, I see what the issue is now.
so please dont keep quoting or misquoting me.

thanks
AA.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtGarceau View Post
I'm not trying to misquote ya, and I responded to your post before I saw that you posted again. I didn't mean to make it seem like an attack.

The topology between the GSSL and the real SSL buss comp is similar, but they actually treat the passing signal very differently.

The GSSL uses a summed mono signal to control the compression while the real thing compresses each channel independently.

soo...
would this be a hijack if I asked which is better or is it subjective?

thanks
Aaron
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Head

Discern, well said.

So where are the inside pics ? Andymixer ? Picksail ?

Flo
Old 26th December 2007
Gear Maniac

Have to bump this thread.

What's up with this compressor?

I saw the name "Bus Boy (SSL) Stereo Buss Compressor" on jameslugo.com, and I just thought he had given his C2 a new petname hehheh

But apparently not. James, do you have a new favorite?

Any other users out there?
Old 30th January 2019
Here for the gear
Going to A/ B Busboy with Stam SA4000

I know this is an old thread , but it got hijacked and never really much info supplied. I snagged one of these 'BusBoy' comps and am going to A/B with a Stam SA4000.

If anyone is still interested in what is going on with this unit...
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFaceMulder View Post
I know this is an old thread , but it got hijacked and never really much info supplied. I snagged one of these 'BusBoy' comps and am going to A/B with a Stam SA4000.

If anyone is still interested in what is going on with this unit...
The Busboy was a piece of garbage, both in build quality and sound. Total kit piece, sloppy sound.

The Stam was as expected, pretty darn good.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search