The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Tape808 for iDrum, Guru, Battery, Refill and Wav Pack. Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

The Tape808 for iDrum, Guru, Battery, Refill and Wav Pack.

Goldbaby is proud to announce the release of:

Tape808

Not another 808 sample! Well actually it isn't... this is 407 samples taken from two 808's recorded into an Ampex 351 1/2" valve 2 track tape machine! That's not all... We also put the 808's through other vintage gear and recorded the 808's naked into a Metric Halo ULN-2 firewire audio card. Then we chose the best samples.
All 24 bit, and all phat analog goodness!

If you can't get a hold of a real 808 then this is as close as you can get in samples... Maybe even better than the having the real thing!

Hugo
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Another hit for one of the most stylish independent sound designers working today.

You're probably thinking "[Sigh] Another 808 kit..." but check out the character of these samples. More juice, more sustain, more punch. Hugo has good taste. Rooted in the true creative spirit of hip hop.

- c
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

yeah, i checked out last night. these sound good. great price point. will probably pick up. great alternative to the real thing.

electric
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

I have them,they are excellent
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the compliments...

I had a great time messing about with the 808's and all the vintage gear!

Ekadek studio is the business for vintage gear! The guy even makes customized retro gear. Very cool...

Hugo
Old 5th September 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggie View Post
Goldbaby is proud to announce the release of:

Tape808

Not another 808 sample! Well actually it isn't... this is 407 samples taken from two 808's recorded into an Ampex 351 1/2" valve 2 track tape machine! That's not all... We also put the 808's through other vintage gear and recorded the 808's naked into a Metric Halo ULN-2 firewire audio card. Then we chose the best samples.
All 24 bit, and all phat analog goodness!

If you can't get a hold of a real 808 then this is as close as you can get in samples... Maybe even better than the having the real thing!

Hugo
I don't get it. You had an 808 into vintage pieces and you chose to convert it with a metric halo firewire card?

But for $24 bucks It's pretty good.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
I don't get it. You had an 808 into vintage pieces and you chose to convert it with a metric halo firewire card?

But for $24 bucks It's pretty good.
The Metric Halo ULN2 is the business! Well I reckon it is... Everyone has there own taste in converters I suppose...

Still no SSL yet... Oh well I reckon they are over rated anyway. ;-)

I'd rather have one of these: www.ekadek.com » fenkners & mixers ;-)

Last edited by huggie; 5th September 2007 at 04:38 AM.. Reason: Make it easier to understand...
Old 5th September 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
The Metric Halo ULN2 is the business! Well I reckon it is... Everyone has there own taste in converters I suppose...

Still no SSL yet... Oh well I reckon there over rated anyway. ;-)

I'd rather have one of these: www.ekadek.com » fenkners & mixers ;-)
Now that looks cool. If the Metric is that cool to you.thumbsup

I have access to an 808,2" etc.... But I may buy your sounds just so I don't have to go through the process (given the price).

(Though I have a billion 808's another cool set can't hurt.)
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now that looks cool. If the Metric is that cool to you.thumbsup

I have access to an 808,2" etc.... But I may buy your sounds just so I don't have to go through the process (given the price).

(Though I have a billion 808's another cool set can't hurt.)
You won't be disappointed! I had a great time creating this product... Greg at Ekadek studio's has full restored his valve Ampex 1/2" 2 track... it even had new heads on it!

We really pushed this machine to it's limits. At one stage we were completely pinning the VU meters with the BD. The tape was completely saturated and the BD was totally distorted... but it sounded sweet, rubbery and warm!

Hugo
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
You won't be disappointed! I had a great time creating this product... Greg at Ekadek studio's has full restored his valve Ampex 1/2" 2 track... it even had new heads on it!

We really pushed this machine to it's limits. At one stage we were completely pinning the VU meters with the BD. The tape was completely saturated and the BD was totally distorted... but it sounded sweet, rubbery and warm!

Hugo
The "rubbery" description is dead-on. A very useful texture. The distortion is dope. Terrific work once again, sir. I remain a fan.

- c
Old 8th September 2007
It'd be very nice if you would upload a sample list. I missed that especially on your website. It'd would ease the decision to spend 24 bucks, although it's already a pretty good price
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deft_bonz View Post
It'd be very nice if you would upload a sample list. I missed that especially on your website. It'd would ease the decision to spend 24 bucks, although it's already a pretty good price
407 samples! Ok here you go...

172 BD
36 Conga
49 Cymbal
26 HH
24 Perc
65 SD
26 Tom

And here is the full list as a PDF:
http://www.goldbaby.co.nz/Stuff/Tape808_sample_list.pdf

Hugo
Old 9th October 2007
Lives for gear

More free stuff on my free page: Free Stuff

Hugo
Old 8th November 2007
Lives for gear

Great review of Tape808 at Warbeats:

http://www.warbeats.com/Forums/tabid...c/Default.aspx

Regards
Hugo
Old 10th November 2007
TC5
Lives for gear

Are the different Kick samples tuned across the whole key range of the 808 in half steps? Long, medium, short decay of each? Can't tell from the sample list.
Old 15th November 2007
Gear Maniac

At the price they're charging this set is a complete no brainer. These are my go-to kicks and snares at the moment.

The only thing I wish is that noone else had them heh

They're that good.
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
+1...

not to say that t he metric halo is not a quality ADC but there are better IMO.

if you were in the USA I would have lent you my apogee just for some samples!

that being said nice work, I'm still buying it. and maybe the mpc60 pack too.
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by morebutter View Post
+1...

not to say that t he metric halo is not a quality ADC but there are better IMO.

if you were in the USA I would have lent you my apogee just for some samples!

that being said nice work, I'm still buying it. and maybe the mpc60 pack too.
Listen, guys, I master records for a living with high-end converters and I gotta say you're being too nerdy even for me. Metric Halo is a perfectly fine converter with a character all of its own.

Anyway, this is a hip-hop minded product. It's not about fidelity, it's about tone. And these are great sounds however he arrived at them.

Load 'em up, use your ears, get some work done, have fun. No more silly nerd talk about converters used in 808 captures.

- c
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Listen, guys, I master records for a living with high-end converters and I gotta say you're being too nerdy even for me.
Okay now I've really crossed the line! No gearslutz for a while, back to making music.
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by morebutter View Post
Okay now I've really crossed the line! No gearslutz for a while, back to making music.
I'm not trying to embarrass anyone or single you out, but dude, it's a blown-out 808. It's a sine wave with some saturation harmonic overtones. It's intended to FSU! Crank it and enjoy it. Put it to some good use. That's the spirit of this product. That's all I'm sayin': this would be a good time to relax on the converter tip!

I mean, when you listen to it are you really thinking "Pretty good, but a Weiss or Lavry Gold would have been better...?"

I love gear as much as the next guy, but sometimes you gotta put sh*t in perspective.

- c
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post

I mean, when you listen to it are you really thinking "Pretty good, but a Weiss or Lavry Gold would have been better...?"
LOL so true.
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC5 View Post
Are the different Kick samples tuned across the whole key range of the 808 in half steps? Long, medium, short decay of each? Can't tell from the sample list.
Hi TC5

I sampled the 808's BD at many different settings... you get long, medium and short decay... Different tone settings and different combinations of both... Plus a tape version, a tape sat version and 2 effected versions of all the settings I mentioned above. 172 different Kicks!

By the way the 808 BD doesn't have a pitch control... it has 3 knobs: Level, Tone and Decay...

Hugo
Old 16th November 2007
Gear Maniac

Hugo, would you consider doing a Tape 909?

I will pay for mine upfront if you do!

Old 16th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by semtek View Post
Hugo, would you consider doing a Tape 909?

I will pay for mine upfront if you do!

I have started the Tape909! Already done the recording session at Ekadek studio. The Ampex 1/2 inch 2 track got a whole lot of 909 love! Now I'm in the middle of chopping, editing, naming, etc...

Hugo
Old 16th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have started the Tape909!
Old 16th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have started the Tape909!

Hugo
Now it's really Christmastime.

- c
Old 16th November 2007
Gear Addict

Ooooohhhh.... Definite purchase without even thinking about it!

Hugo, anything you produce gets my credit card treatment.
Old 16th November 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I have started the Tape909! Already done the recording session at Ekadek studio. The Ampex 1/2 inch 2 track got a whole lot of 909 love! Now I'm in the middle of chopping, editing, naming, etc...

Hugo

you rock man, you rock.
Old 16th November 2007
Gear Maniac

I'm enjoying the 808 samples Huggie , only loading them into my Yamaha A3000 sampler is a pain in the ... ( but yeah I prefer hardware )

Perhaps you could make a synthedit plugin with 808 controls and dynamically map the settings to the corresponding sample .
Old 18th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony666 View Post
I'm enjoying the 808 samples Huggie , only loading them into my Yamaha A3000 sampler is a pain in the ... ( but yeah I prefer hardware )

Perhaps you could make a synthedit plugin with 808 controls and dynamically map the settings to the corresponding sample .
Hi Tony666
Glad your enjoying the Tape808.
I use a Mac... so I'm afraid I can't use synth edit...

Regards
Hugo

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search